Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-24-2008, 08:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 229/220/170

Height: 6'0'

Default better'n peanut butter

I read about this diet peanut butter online and ordered some from Amazon.com. No stores near me sell it! I got the low sodium version. Has anyone tried it? Is it any good? The peanut butter website only listed cases of it, and I only wanted one jar, hence the Amazon.com purchase.
chickybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:23 PM   #2  
Rennie

S/C/G: 228/Ticker/120

Height: 4 foot 11 inches

What is the name of the brand. I hate peanut butter. I even hate the smell of the darn stuff AND YET LOL I love peanut butter cookies. One of the things I don't allow myself anymore because they are so high in fat that the serving size isn't worth bothering with. Wonder if I could use the peanut butter you area talking about in the cookies?
Shy Moment is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:41 PM   #3  

It's called better'n peanut butter. I love peanut butter, but don't want to eat the real stuff on WW.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:45 PM   #4  
Midwesterner

S/C/G: 152/116/120

Height: 5' 3"

I got it at Trader Joe's. Didn't like it at all. Very sweet in an artificial way. I prefer the real thing, much healthier for you.
murphmitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 08:56 PM   #5  
FB

Oh. I got mine and Whole Foods and all I said upon trying it was "Oh", in a pained voice.

I'm not a picky person. I'll try anything- but this stuff was horrendous to me. This was what you expect play plastic food for kids would taste like, if it had a taste, lol.
FB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:03 PM   #6  
Yogasaurus

S/C/G: 180/120/115

Height: 5' 5"

Default Different 'n peanut butter

I've used this stuff to bake with, and loved it. Good for "Hungry Girl's" Peanut Butter Bread Pudding! I can't eat it as a spread as it is super-sweet, but my husband loves it. He says it tastes more like a Peanut Nutella, but I do not expect it to ever replace real PB in my heart!
Circebee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 09:34 PM   #7  

Glad I didn't buy a case, lol! Hopefully it will be a nice occasional splurge for me
Old 03-25-2008, 08:21 AM   #8  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

Height: 5'9"

When I read the title, I was under the impression that it was a peanut butter substitute.

Here in Calgary it's taboo (and against the rules of many of the schools) to send peanut butter for lunches. So I bought Peabutter. The kids love it and now prefer it over the real thing... I myself can't stand the stuff.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:25 AM   #9  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I bought it and hated it. It is pretty disgusting. It also takes some of the good fats out of peanut butter.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 01:56 PM   #10  
Feelin good in my skin

If it's Better 'N Butter.. I've had it. (They sell it at Trader Joes) and I LOVE IT... I dont' like it w/ anything but a spoon... It's a much creamier texture than low fat peanut butter.

But it's a great treat/snack for me. I usually don't eat it when I'm trying to lose weight.. But once I get back to my goal weight.. I'll get some..
Marathon Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:17 PM   #11  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamaralynn View Post
When I read the title, I was under the impression that it was a peanut butter substitute.

Here in Calgary it's taboo (and against the rules of many of the schools) to send peanut butter for lunches. So I bought Peabutter. The kids love it and now prefer it over the real thing... I myself can't stand the stuff.
You can't send your own child with a peanut butter sandwich? I understand about schools discontinuing peanut butter at the school lunch meals that the school sells, but to dictate to you what you can and can't feed your kids is a bit Orwellian to me.

Can you send another type of nut butter?

What is peabutter?

Last edited by cbmare; 03-25-2008 at 02:18 PM.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 09:14 PM   #12  
I'm a Loser ;)

S/C/G: SCG: 255/see ticker/160

In the chance that someone severely allergic to nuts accidentally comes across a smear of peanut butter on a lunch table. I can see their point - but it annoys me to no end when I can't make them a regular PBJ sandwich. No nut butter can be used in any lunches. Or cookies with nuts, or granola bars with nuts.

http://www.peabutter.ca/

Peabutter is dried brown peas mixed with sugar and oil. It's reminescent of Peanut butter, but without that extra peanutty flavor.

Last edited by tamaralynn; 03-25-2008 at 09:16 PM.
tamaralynn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 06:03 PM   #13  

I just got it in the mail. I love it! It tastes different than real pb, but if I can get used to soy ice cream and soy pudding, than this is no problem!
Old 03-28-2008, 09:53 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 160/148/130

Height: 5'6"

I tried it and I hated it. I had the whole jar left so I thought I'd use it in my mouse traps....the mice wouldn't even go for it!

I'd rather eat the real thing in severely limited amounts.
HudsonHawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2008, 12:52 PM   #15  
Method to the Madness

S/C/G: 381.4/in the middle/160

Height: 5'9

I tried the better'n peanut butter and it was okay, but I personally would rather get the healthy fats that are in the real thing. I actually have a problem eating enough fats... strange, huh? I guess it just happens when you eat a lot of veggies, fruits, fat free dairy, and lean meats. I have to actually make a conscious effort to make sure I'm getting enough fat each day!
LindseyLouWho is offline   Reply With Quote