Food Talk And Fabulous Finds - What's for dinner?

View Full Version : What's for dinner?

Daffy29
03-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Thinking this may help someone who is stuck for an idea today, here's my tonight's dinner menu. What's yours? It may help me for tomorrow :D

Skinless boneless chicken breasts, butterflied and pounded thin, stuffed with spinach, feta cheese and a little garlic. Served with quickie 'greek' salad (cubed english cukes and tomatoes, black olives, feta cheese and Renee's LF Mediterranean Greek dressing) and brown rice cooked in low sodium/fat chicken broth.

srmb60
03-24-2008, 06:00 PM
pan fried whitefish
lentils in balsamic vinaigrette
tomato, avocado and onion salad
green salad

(baked potatoes for my men)

KateB
03-24-2008, 06:07 PM
Salmon cooked on the Foreman grill, stir fried carrots, broccoli, peppers and mushrooms with a bit of light soy sauce served over brown rice, light soy milk

charisma classic
03-24-2008, 06:11 PM
Stir-fried teriyaki tofu with water chestnuts, bean spouts, broccoli & carrots
Ginger Cakes (from Morningstar Farms)
Salad

BlueToBlue
03-24-2008, 06:15 PM
Quick Avgolemono Soup (http://find.myrecipes.com/recipes/recipefinder.dyn?action=displayRecipe&recipe_id=1142015) (made with brown rice instead of orzo--which makes it not so quick--and with two cups sliced celery and one cup sliced red pepper added).
Green salad (lettuce, chard, pea shoots, radishes, cucumber, argula blossoms, maybe some strawberries, sea salt, lemon pepper, low-cal dressing)

Dessert is no sugar added cherry pie filling with 1/2 serving of crushed Trader Joe's chocolate cats cookies.

chickybird
03-24-2008, 06:23 PM
tuna with a little fat free Italian dressing on wheat pita-4
sliced cucumbers and baby spinach with low fat feta cheese-1 point
low fat soy chocolate pudding with fat free cool whip-3points

Daffy29
03-25-2008, 10:00 AM
Wow, lots of interesting stuff, particularly the salads...I am totally unimaginative when it comes to green salads, and so I will eat them, but don't really like them.

SusanB: Care to share your tomato/avocado/onion salad recipe? We still have one avocado left on the counter...

Kate: I've been thinking about salmon on the George grill...how is it? Do you do anything to the salmon first in terms of seasoning?

Charisma: what are ginger cakes?

BtB, that dessert sounds like it could be served to guests...I'll keep it in mind.

Chickybird: how do you prepare the cukes, spinach 'n feta? Any dressing or seasonings?

I should have specified that my feta was LF...I can usually get my hands on some 13% MF feta, and I find no difference in taste. Rinsing takes care of the excess salt.

Thanks for the ideas, folks...

srmb60
03-25-2008, 11:16 AM
We should go fetch that poster who said she couldn't cook. This stuff is all wonderful and not too too difficult.

My salad? I chopped up an avocado, a tomato and half an onion ;) In future I was would use a red onion.

I ended up mixing the lentils with that and put it all on my green salad.
Lentils? a can rinsed, with garlic salt and balsamic vinaigrette dressing.
Sounded fancy tho didn't it?

I find greens are what they are. The fun is in the fixings. I very seldom just have greens with dressing.

LittleMoonRabbit
03-25-2008, 11:25 AM
Tonight, we'll be having SmartTaste pasta (LOVE IT!) with tomato, garlic and mushroom sauce and chicken sausage (Sweet italian style).

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
03-25-2008, 11:35 AM
tilapia! very low in points!!(WW)

charisma classic
03-25-2008, 02:30 PM
The ginger cakes I had are made by Morningstar Farms, and they are rice, veggies and ginger/other spices all made into little frozen patties. 1 patty is 110 calories. Yum.

yogachick30
03-25-2008, 04:43 PM
I am pampering myself tonight... After work I am meeting a friend who is a massage therapist and will have an hour long massage... Oh yea that's going to feel sooooo good! For dinner tonight I have a package of frozen stir fry veggies (sugar snapped peas, water chesnuts, carrot, onion, mushroom), that I will thaw out in the microwave for a couple of minutes. I will use a little stir fry sauce (25 cal for 2T). Finish it with 1c brown rice.

I am also playing with a recipe for low calorie cookies. I want to make some ginger cookies using the same recipe. If your curious it contains the following:
1C Whole Wheat Flour
1/2C Splenda
1/4t baking soda
8T unsweetened applesauce
1/2C pure pumpkin
1/4C egg beaters
2T splenda brown sugar
3T minced ginger (this is the new add in)

Mix dry ingre. together. Mix wet ingre. together in seperate bowl. Then combine wet into dry. Batter will be really moist. Preheat oven to 375, place foil over baking sheet and spray with pam. Scoop out generous 1T batter onto sheet. Bake for 10-13 minutes.

I hope you enjoy this recipe. It is great as it is without the ginger but since I am a total ginger freak, I thought why not add it to the mix. We'll see how it turns out!

mandalinn82
03-25-2008, 04:49 PM
Chicken breast, carrot, bell pepper, and broccoli stir fry, over brown and wild rice.

ChefsGirl
03-25-2008, 04:55 PM
Shrimp Tacos for dinner.

8 oz Shrimp
2 LF tortillas
5 oz FF Cheese (mix of Motz & Chdr)
108 g diced Fresh Peppers
2T Sour Cream
20 Black Olives

Season the shrimp w crushed red pepper, cumin & cilantro.

Counts as 3 Proteins, 3 Starches, 1 Dairy, 1 Vegtable, 2 Fats & 2 Condiments.

Definately could be cut in half and would still be very satisfying! I have a ton of foods to get in every day so I have to double up on servings alot.

I'm going to sneak this one in on the DF. He'll probably think I'm off my diet today.

ThePrettyOne
03-25-2008, 05:23 PM
Baked chicken breast marinated in italian dressing with oven roasted artichoke hearts and Trader Joes mushroom risotto.

LindseyLouWho
03-25-2008, 07:10 PM
Barbara, that Avgolemono soup sounded so wonderful that I ran out and bought the ingredients to make it! I hope mine turns out well... I'm omitting the carrots (since the kind I've had before didn't have carrot) and using brown rice instead of the orzo and egg beaters instead of the eggs... so we'll see!

Update: The soup turned out wonderfully! Although from whipping the eggs with the lemon in the blender it turned out a little... frothy... haha. Maybe I overblended... but it still was really good!

Forever42
03-26-2008, 04:00 PM
Tonight is "Sicilian Drowned Broccoli" (new recipe, onions and broccoli simmered in a little olive oil and red wine, reduced, then a little Parmesan folded in) over crusty bread, and white beans with sun dried tomato and basil. I'm looking forward to making dinner!

ChefsGirl
03-26-2008, 04:21 PM
My favorite salad to start: romaine, iceberg, cucumbers, dried cranberries, walnuts & rasberry vinegrette

Main course: BBQ grilled chicken, brocolli & cheese baked potatoe & steamed green beans.

LindseyLouWho
03-26-2008, 04:52 PM
Tonight I'm fairly certain it will be leftover roasted pork tenderloin. As far as sides go, I'll be having my nut/dried fruit/cole slaw blend salad most likely and maybe some roasted sweet potatoes.

azmom
03-26-2008, 09:05 PM
I am making a white bean chicken chili from a mix I bought at TL Maxx. It is cooking as I write this and looks delicious! All I had to add is the chicken breast.

gailr42
03-27-2008, 01:06 AM
I put just enough olive oil on a boneless, skinless chicken breast to make a minced clove of garlic stick to it. I topped it with s and p and a sprig of fresh rosemary. Grilled the whole thing. Also had a salad with spinach, romaine, tomatoes, onions, and asparagus. Used Trader Joe's parmesan ranch on it. Finally, I nuked a small potato, served it with one Tbs of reduced fat sour cream, a chopped scallion top and s and p. Quite simple, but good.

Earlier I had a small dish of homemade yogurt with frozen raspberries. I microplaned a bit of dark chocolate on top along with some minced mint. This was pretty tasty, and would make a good dessert.

SoulBliss
03-27-2008, 01:44 AM
Tonight is "Sicilian Drowned Broccoli" (new recipe, onions and broccoli simmered in a little olive oil and red wine, reduced, then a little Parmesan folded in) over crusty bread, and white beans with sun dried tomato and basil. I'm looking forward to making dinner!

Can I just say how MUCH I love broccoli dishes with white beans? :carrot:

Forever42
03-27-2008, 03:53 PM
Can I just say how MUCH I love broccoli dishes with white beans? :carrot:

I love white beans with everything! :love:

I never seem to keep enough around!

LindseyLouWho
03-27-2008, 09:13 PM
Pork tenderloin (again!), roasted green beans, and fat free honey corn bread.

The corn bread was DELICIOUS! It's a mix made by Krusteaz... Fat Free Honey Cornbread. I mixed it according to package directions, only I added a can of no salt added cream corn and made muffins with it (to make it easier to portion). That stuff is heavenly, I tell ya...

mandalinn82
03-27-2008, 09:16 PM
Turkey mini meatloaves with broccoli and whole grain rice pilaf

SoulBliss
03-27-2008, 11:18 PM
I love white beans with everything! :love:

I never seem to keep enough around!

Yep, veggie "loaf", bean cakes, casseroles, bean dips...so good!!!

So, I made vegan "larb" and veggies tonight.

I took soy ground protein, miso silken tofu and cooked it in extra virgin coconut oil with shallots, garlic, lime juice, rice wine vinegar, red pepper flakes and black pepper.

Simultaneously, in another pot, I cooked frozen green beans and a package of broccoli slaw, adding in more spices and herbs and then a little coconut milk.

For DH I opened a can of chickpeas to add to his.

Less than 15 minutes, total!

Nori71
03-27-2008, 11:43 PM
We had what I refer to as a semi-boring dinner - spinach salad, BLSL chicken breasts seasoned with lemon pepper cooked in a little EVOO, steamed broccoli and brown rice.

I need to try the white bean broccoli dish. Sounds wonderful!

SB- Why is it called larb? Never heard that term.:)

SoulBliss
03-28-2008, 12:16 AM
It's a specific combination of spices and ground meat. There are some variations but this is a good example: http://www.thaitable.com/Thai/recipes/Laab.htm

Nori71
03-28-2008, 12:29 AM
Interesting. Thanks. That recipe looks wonderful!

LindseyLouWho
03-28-2008, 04:23 PM
Coconut Curry Lentil Soup with roasted beets and carrots.

mayness
03-29-2008, 01:48 AM
Tilapia, breaded with whole-wheat panko and baked. And roasted carrots -- with just a little bit of olive oil and some thyme.

LindseyLouWho
03-30-2008, 01:44 PM
Creamy herb chicken stew. It's something I kind of came up with on my own, but I'm sure it's similar to any other chicken stew recipe: 98% ff cream of celery soup, low sodium chicken stock, chicken breast, carrots, asparagus, Kashi pilaf, thyme and rosemary. I'm not sure if I'm going to want to add any other seasonings at the end, as this is a new invention, but I guess we'll see!

LindseyLouWho
04-03-2008, 11:41 PM
Salmon cakes with a yogurt dill sauce and a salad with roasted beets, goat cheese, and raspberry vinaigrette.

mandalinn82
04-04-2008, 12:03 AM
I had tofu stirfry with tons of different veggies in a spicy ginger sauce...over brown and wild rice.

Yesterday was Orange and Soy Glazed pork chops, green beans with garlic and lemon, and whole grain rice pilaf.

The day before - Penne with rustic tomato sauce, chicken sausage, and roasted vegetables (including zucchini, bell pepper, and red onion).

Tomorrow - my current favorite, sausage and lentil soup

gastronome
04-04-2008, 01:50 AM
Wow, you guys have such fancy sounding dinners! Can I come over for dinner? :D Today I had white bean soup, orange and some grapes.

Mayson
04-08-2008, 02:30 PM
Tonight is a tomatoe sauce with onion, garlic, mushroom and spinach, served over whole weat pasta with boneless skinless chicken breast.

shantroy
04-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Tonight is my bf's and my cooking night. We make a dinner we've been wanting to try and then watch ****'s kitchen. Tonight we're making pulled chicken bbq sandwiches (smillar to pulled pork, but less time consuming and less fat) with roasted sweet potatos and chipotle aoili. My bf will probably make his wicked ceaser vinagrette dressing (so yummy and half the calories and fat of a creamy ceaser!) to round out the meal.

mandalinn82
04-08-2008, 06:22 PM
Week's menus (excepting today...we're going out, and I've got my healthy order all planned...bbq salmon over a mixed greens salad with garlic balsamic dressing).

Yesterday - Teriyaki chicken skewers with red onion, bell pepper, and pineapple, Asian-style red cabbage slaw, multigrain rice pilaf from Trader Joes

Wednesday - Beef lettuce cups (combination of 4% fat ground beef, carrot, cucumber, red bell pepper and cellophane noodles, with sauce, served in butter lettuce.

Thursday - Pork tenderloin stuffed w/ laughing cow and roasted red pepper, parmesan polenta, steamed broccoli.

Friday - Herb-dijon grilled chicken, sauteed zucchini, red pepper and garlic whole wheat couscous.

Daffy29
04-15-2008, 02:35 PM
I had no idea this thread kept going (now I know how to 'subscribe, lol!) There are so many great ideas, I don't think I'll ever be at a loss for menus ever again. SusanB, thanks for the tomato/avocado recipe...there's two more on the counter!

Last night, we made home made pizza, using home-made dough and a home-made sauce recipe. Spouse and I each made our own, 'cause I'm the only one counting calories. The dough turned out great (see recipe here (http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Jays-Signature-Pizza-Crust/Detail.aspx)) The sauce was one of spouse's recipes that I didn't hate, but didn't love. Anyone have a good one?

WW pizza crust topped with sauce, black olives, onions, sliced LF italian chicken meatballs and 4% MF cheese. I had thought I would eat half of my pizza, but I just couldn't, I was too full. At 565 calories for one-third of the pizza, it was definitely a do-again, but without the meatballs. Maybe a LF pepperoni...

mandalinn82
04-15-2008, 03:52 PM
This week:

Saturday - London broil marinated in balsamic, garlic, and herbs, small baked potatoes, roasted asparagus

Sunday - Giant chicken "kitchen sink" salad - grilled zucchini, bell pepper, broccoli, raw cucumber, carrot, laughing cow wedge, chicken marinated in lemon, thyme, and dijon, croutons, a huge bed of mixed greens, and spray dressing, plus a 120 calorie hunk of french bread.

Monday - Pork tenderloin cut into strips, marinated in garlic-soy-ginger sauce, then stirfried with broccoli, bell pepper, zucchini, snowpeas, bok choy, and carrots, served with more garlic-soy-ginger sauce and brown and wild rice blend

Today - Ground turkey breast meatloaves, mashed potato/cauliflower blend, and "creamed" spinach (spinach cooked with laughing cow wedges, fat free half and half, garlic, salt, pepper, and maybe a bit of flour to thicken.

Wednesday - Fajita Salads (Grilled Chicken, Zucchini, and Bell Pepper, black beans, baked corn tortilla strips, and olives over a giant bed of greens, with sour cream-based taco dressing).

Thursday - Roasted vegetable and sausage whole wheat penne in marinara (veggies - bell pepper, zucchini, and onion).

retiredone
04-16-2008, 10:43 PM
Today we had: Pecan/Oatmeal patties in a tomato pesto sauce, jacket boiled red potatoes, sliced carrots, cauliflower and green and yellow beans.

suitejudyblueeyes
04-17-2008, 05:51 PM
Tonight's going to be baked skinless honey-mustard chicken drumsticks, roasted sweet potato tossed in EVOO, garlic, and lemon pepper, steamed asparagus marinated in lime juice and basalmic, and steamed cauliflower.

jitterfish
04-21-2008, 12:10 AM
Corn fritters and layered smoked salmon, served with green salad and a splash of black raspberry vinaigrette.