Fitness Videos - Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred

View Full Version : Jillian Michaels' 30 Day Shred

LeighHop
03-24-2008, 02:10 PM
Hey Fellow Exercisers!

Has anyone tried Jillian's new video? I picked it up at Best Buy this weekend for $12.99. The DVD has 3 workouts, Beginner, Intermediate, and Advanced. Each one is about 28 minutes including a quick warm-up and cool-down.

I consider myself fairly in shape, but tried the Beginner workout this morning to get a feel for things and it is nicely challenging. The moves are very basic, but since it is only 28 minutes, I didn't get bored by any means. (Man, I can't wait to get better at pushups.)

Just curious if anyone is using this one. It says "Lose up to 20 pounds in 30 days." on the cover. Now, I'm definitely not expecting that, but I'm wondering what the program is supposed to be? Since weights are invovled, I'm thinking you're not supposed to use the routine every day. I was planning on every other day.

I'd love to hear any input!

ttugurl
03-24-2008, 10:24 PM
I read about her new DVD coming out, too. I have exercise tv and on there I saw some free workouts on there of hers. They're labeled 30day shred 1 and 2. Theyre about 30 minutes long. I don't know if theyre the same ones. This one has you doing jumping jacks, punches, lunges with weights, abs plus a cool down and warm up. I did it last night and this morning. I like it!

vixjean
03-24-2008, 10:40 PM
I tried these, they are GREAT, she gives a KILLER workout as does Bob on his DVD's. Seriously the BEST 30 workout I have ever tried, she really kicks ***!
I think if anyone did this 30 days in a row, they would be truly have to lose some wieght, but I think her promise of 20 lbs is associated with her website and a diet as well!

LeighHop
03-26-2008, 09:50 AM
Thanks for the input ladies! I'm ready to look buff. :)

vixjean
03-27-2008, 08:16 PM
The weights are a form of cardio for this workout, you can alternate between weights and no weights or heavier weights. With 3 lb weights you are okay going everyday with them.

mandalinn82
03-27-2008, 08:20 PM
I've done these on-demand too, and I agree - both times I got a serious butt-kicking, and I do cardio and strength train on a regular basis.

It was a great way to get some extra oomph into my workouts in a short-ish period of time. And I agree - she somehow KNOWS when you're ready to give up and gives just a little bit of encouragement to get you through.

Jennifer 3FC
03-28-2008, 12:42 AM
I would at least wait a day in between. Weights might be light, but they are still training, plus there are a few body weight exercise in there. You need to give your muscles a day of rest and repair before you go at them again.

Gracenote
04-01-2008, 12:36 PM
I just ordered this from Amazon last night and I also have the On Demand version which I'm about to try now. I watched parts of it yesterday after doing my Turbo Jam DVD and it seems very serious - no dance-y movements. Just straight-forward no-nonsense exercise. 20 lbs in 30 days would be awesome! But I'm not holding my breath!!

Gracenote
04-01-2008, 01:45 PM
Just did the workout and I was kind of scared that Jillian was going to come out of the TV and say "Pick up the pace fatty!!! You're never going to lose weight unless you push yourself beyond your limit!" While I doing the jumping jacks I was huffing and puffing, huge boobies bouncing all around uncontrollably, I really wanted to stop. Then she goes (paraphrasing) "If you're looking for a modification for jumping jacks, there isn't one! I know 400-lb people who can do jumping jacks... and so can you." Man, they were hard, but that comment made me push a little harder. Her tough attitude really did help me to push myself to my own limit. She's absolutely right. She keeps saying "You are capable of this" and the amazing thing is that I actually believe it. Yeah, it was hella hard for me -- but that's what I need to get out of my comfort zone. Actually, the workout got easier towards the middle and end for me and it went by REALLY fast.

Bottom line - if you need someone to help give you a nice firm kick in the pants, this workout might be good for you.

Jennifer 3FC
04-01-2008, 11:29 PM
I'm curious, did she incorporate push ups and mountain climbers? :eek:
I had the Winning by Losing DVD. Oh my. Oh my. :lol:

mandalinn82
04-01-2008, 11:33 PM
Yes and Yes on the pushups and mountain climbers

Gracenote
04-01-2008, 11:37 PM
Hi Jennifer,

There was one set of push ups in the beginning, which I had to do on my knees and take a break in the middle! I'm not sure what mountain climber was but I don't remember hearing that term for the first workout (there are 3 workouts total, I only did the first one). There was something called butt kicks, where you literally kick your own butt (basically running in place, but with more intensity).

Like I said though, the workout really flies by quickly and before you know it it's all over..

youngchick
04-04-2008, 10:58 AM
I did Bob's Cardio Max yesterday on Exercise TV on-demand. I saw afterwards that 30 day Shred was on there so I previewed it. I'm going to do it tonight after reading your posts. I'm sore from Bob's workout so I can only imagine what Shred will do to me! I heard that you are supposed to do this daily? Sounds like there is mixed information out there on that. I wonder what Jillian intended...

Pinkadot
04-17-2008, 07:48 AM
I just tried this this morning! Exercise TV on demand. Does anyone know how long this will be free on demand, and how many calories it burns?

moon fairy
04-17-2008, 08:35 PM
I just purchased her DVD online earlier today. I'm expecting it to arrive within a week or so. The threads above mention push-ups. I won't be able to do the push-ups since I hurt my shoulder about 3 weeks ago doing just that. I've scheduled an appointment to see a chiropractor to see what's wrong. Until then, I've had to stay away from a lot of upper body workouts. It even hurts when I sleep. This has set my workouts back a bit. But I'm looking forward to doing whatever else I can on the DVD.

stacylambert
04-18-2008, 01:22 AM
I just got it in the mail and previewed it. I can't wait to start it! It looks hard. I can't do real pushups so I'll definitely be doing the girly ones.

On the menu there was a "recommendation" tab and it says to work out with her 20 minutes a day. That sounds likes its meant for daily use? I would have assumed every other day as well...

xGurlyGrlx
04-18-2008, 01:27 AM
This was on comcast on demand and I decided to try it out. It kicked my butt! OMG...I thought I might die the next day. I didn't realize how out of shape I was...I mean I knew I was...but not THAT bad!

SephyFowl
04-18-2008, 06:17 PM
After hearing all of your raves about it I am totally going to order it now! YAY!

moon fairy
04-23-2008, 10:11 PM
just received the dvd in today's mail. i will be trying it out tomorrow evening. will keep everyone posted.

kris10dawn
04-27-2008, 07:35 PM
I got this dvd in the mail a couple of days ago and did it for the first time yesterday, then again today and I agree that it is an awesome workout. Doing 25 minutes with Jillian has me sweating just as much as 45 minutes of Tae Bo. It is a butt-kicking workout (quite literally at sometimes). Love it and totally recommend it! Those push-ups are killer if you're not accustomed to doing them already!

Purplefirefly
04-28-2008, 09:46 AM
I have all of Jillian's DVDs except this one and have been wondering if it is worth buying, or if I should just record the free ones off On Demand. I have to say I would not not do this every day...the lifting exercises really work my shoulders and chest and donig that daily would not be good for the muscles. I have been rotating it in with the other DVDs. I do the shred one day, then her cardio kickboxing the next, then rotate between the front and backside Shape Up DVDs, then the cardio again, and start over.

I have not even opened the Maximize set yet because the the Shape Up KICKS MY BUTT and I've been doing it for a couple months now. On a side note, I look forward to days I get to do the shred 1 because it is a lot easier than the SHape Up workouts, but it is still a good workout.

sweetnsassyfied
05-14-2008, 12:56 AM
So??? How is this working for you ladies?

aarron
05-17-2008, 11:29 AM
Came in the mail the other day and tried it for the first time yesterday. :o I made it throught the video but I was working hard. Level 1 is challenging enough for now. Today I am sore, but not as bad as I thought I would be.

It is a no nonsense quick workout. Obviously muscles are being worked if I can feel them today (in a good way). I like it and will continue to use it at least 3 times a week. I like that the 2 other levels are looming above me as a challenge! ;)

NoVaVTFan
05-19-2008, 09:13 PM
I just got the DVD and did the level 1 workout tonight. I thought it was a good workout, kept my heartbeat up, and got my muscles going. I've been doing her Complete Body Workout (5 DVD collection) for a couple of months, and comparing the Level 1 workout on 30 shred, I think her Complete Body Workout videos are a bit harder and more challenging. I still think 30 Day shred gave me a good workout, but just a little less go go go than her Complete Body Workouts. I think as I move up in levels it will seem harder and probably along the lines of the Complete Body Workout. I definitely like 30 day shred for it's quickness, and that it keeps my heart rate up. I'm going to continue using it and go up the levels - I am not going to do it every day as it says because I like to have a rest day between doing strength, but I will do it at least 3-4 days a week.

prettikat
05-22-2008, 12:37 AM
I just ordered this last week and it's on the way. Can't wait to try it out. Love the idea of a 20-ish minute workout so I can fit it in the mornings.

NoVaVTFan
05-22-2008, 09:25 PM
I have done the level 1 workout twice this week, and I decided to try the level 2 workout tonight for the first time. Wow!! I thought the level 1 workout was challenging, but not as challenging as her Biggest Winner workouts. Level 2 completely kicked my butt! I've been working out regularly for about 8 months now, and this workout killed me! The strength portion was especially hard. I am going to try and keep it up at least 3 nights a week (no way I'm doing it every day) and I think it will definitely get me stronger over time.

sh3l5
06-07-2008, 02:56 PM
im assuming with this its ten days at level one, ten days at level 2 and ten days at level 3?....
Ive only been going for 7 days and im already noticing a difference with the size of my legs!....
cant wait til the 30 days are up....

KLK
06-07-2008, 02:58 PM
I did the 30 Day Shred level 1 this morning and I ALREADY feel a bit sore lol... I was able to make it through with only two 5-second rests, I'm proud to report ;) It seems like it would be very effective if done religiously.

OnceUponADrive
06-09-2008, 11:19 AM
I slacked off this weekend and only did the Kickbox Cardio yesterday. I'll do Shred level 1 tonight and I have to remember to record it since it will be gone from On Demand after today or tomorrow I think. But the second level will still be available when I feel up to attempting that one. I feel very strong with these DVD's and I love that they are so short and intense. I've never sweat so much in my life as I do during her workouts!

OnceUponADrive
06-09-2008, 09:09 PM
I got back into Shred level one tonight and it kicked my butt all over again after a 3 day hiatus. It felt like my first time all over again. I love it, though. :)

aerogora
06-11-2008, 10:26 PM
I picked up my copy of it today and did level 1 and it was awesome. I also have Biggest Loser Cardio Max and I think that 30 day shred is way WAY better! I didn't get bored with it, and it really got me sweating and my heart rate was way up! It's great. I highly recommend it. Looking foward to doing it every (well almost every) morning before I go to work!

sweetnsassyfied
06-12-2008, 11:50 PM
Anyone who is actively doing this DVD or even thinking about it... I would love to direct you to the chat & support thread.

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143373

Since there is a handful of us doing this. It would be wonderful to share our experiences together in one spot!

I look forward to laughing & lunging along with you. :)

tinypurplefishez
12-04-2008, 03:10 PM
I get mine on Monday and I'd love to do this with you girls!

Starting weight: 168 lbs
Arms: 11 in
Bust: 38 in
Waist: 29 in
Stomach: 33 in
Hips: 42 in
Thighs 24 in

katie m a r i e
12-06-2008, 01:23 AM
Wow. Today was my first day on Level one, and I have to say, at first I thought I was going to die! Ha ha. But by the second circuit, it was okay. I just kept thinking 'Only eight more minutes, only seven more minutes'. I know I will be sore tomorrow, so I hope I keep up with it. :]

Dingo
12-06-2008, 11:28 AM
I get mine on Monday and I'd love to do this with you girls!

Starting weight: 168 lbs
Arms: 11 in
Bust: 38 in
Waist: 29 in
Stomach: 33 in
Hips: 42 in
Thighs 24 in

I feel like we have all the same measurements!
Well, years ago I weighed over 200 lbs but have been around 160lbs for a long time. This summer I went up to 172 lbs and need to lose weight now so I can fit back into my clothing!
I am starting the 30 day shred today! I am also doing the EXTREME Fat Smash Diet which is pretty much a total *** kicking.

TinaNina
12-17-2008, 02:25 PM
I tried Jillians workouts and I really liked it. I also tried the other girl from the Bravo show, the blond one- Jackie something. She is tougher than Jillian. My butt was hurting! But to be honest I get bored working out at home. So I got these workouts from a ***********.com that I upload to my iphone and instead I go to the gym.
You know what is also good, the old Cindy Crawford videos :) :) : )