Mini-Goals Even if you're not at goal yet, this is the place to share your successes and achievements along the way! Success can be measured in many ways besides the scales. Tell us about your triumphs, including Non Scale Victories

Old 03-22-2008, 04:37 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 150/ticker/125

Height: 5'2"

Default today "i can't" turned into "i just did"

I'm totally excited right now!! Let me begin my tale of success 10 years ago, the first time I strapped sneakers on my feet and took to the streets to prove to myself that I COULD jog, that I was NOT bound to strolling or moseying for the rest of my life.
I failed. I cried.
I have asthma, as well as a nasty addiction to cigarettes (a love/hate relationship that I've been dealing with since age 12). I detested physical activity, and gym class was always a nightmare. It's just that I was never really fat, just doughy, perhaps chubby. I had a body that looked like it was capable of physical activity, it just didn't feel like it to me.
But then, at age 17, with prom looming and body issues taking their thrones in my spirit, I wanted to prove that I could be an athlete, that I could develop that physical part of me that was so ignored.
And that was when I tried to jog, failed, and cried.
Soon after, I joined a gym. I took to the elliptical, I loved the stairmaster, I was a fiend on the weight circuit. Still, the treadmill was never my friend , and I still struggled every time I tried to jog outdoors. I felt that runners inhabited a world that I could not enter, that despite having lost 20 lbs and being relatively active, jogging was something I would never master. That did not stop me from setting it as a goal for myself, and I continued to push myself breathlessly on the track or the treadmill, always wondering why I was so, so tired...
I've been up and down in the 10 years since, sometimes still working at the gym habit, sometimes spending more time in front of the fridge, and my body reflected those behaviors.bLately (with much thanks to 3FC) I've been on a good streak, and recently set myself the familiar "I'm gonna run a 5K" goal.

AND TODAY I DID IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Not a real race, mind you, but I finished 5K on the treadmill at the gym today, jogging/running the whole way!

Turns out the reason I couldn't jog for all those years was because I was running. I never let myself do a pleasant speed, always pushed it up to 6.2 mph on the treadmill, figuring that was a jogging speed. I may never be able to finish a 5K at that speed, and I am FINE with that -- I just jogged 5K at an avg of 5.5 mph and I could not be happier!!! This realization, and the feeling of success that has come with it, of course has stretched into metaphors for the rest of my life, but that's not the point here. I just I probably could have been entering 5Ks for years, finished towards the end, but yes, I could have finished. That is AMAZING! I am in the club!!!

Seriously, this is really thanks to 3FC. Biggest NSV yet. Thank you thank you thank you

S
shrinkinglizzy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 PM   #2  
Progress not perfection

S/C/G: 235/170/150

Height: 5'7

That is sooo awesome! Good for you!

Last edited by jillnicole03; 03-22-2008 at 08:33 PM.
jillnicole03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #3  

That's really cool!
kimmieone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:06 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Height: 5'3

Wow! Go you!

I feel like with jogging there's a barrier that you have to break through. One you reach a certain level of fitness, you can job indefinitely at a comfortable speed, slowing down and speeding up as you're able. At that point, it becomes a joy. I've only reached that point once, and then I got very, very sick and was confined to my bed for two weeks, followed by a month and a half of extreme weakness and fatigue. Since then I haven't gotten back on the jogging bandwagon, but now maybe I will! You know, once all the freaking snow melts.
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 01:20 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 319/238/160

Height: 5' 6"

I have detested jogging/running all my life. I am a big busted woman. I was a big busted child. I still remember my horror when I was in 6th grade and had to buy new bras. My mom was with and when I found one that fit she shreek in the dressing room "MY GAWD Kate..that is a "C" cup and you are only 12!!'' Ummmm....Thanks for the memories Mom.

Today the girls reside in a "G" cup. I have not found a sports bra that is comfortable to jog in, although I have thought of enlisting the help from a roll of duct tape or a couple ace bandages.

Congrats on your accomplishment!!!! You Rock!!
KateB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 03:31 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 245/ticker/125

Height: 5'5''

Congrats on your accomplishment! Today I was about to give up on a group jog when a trainer suddenly jogged up beside me and just silently did the whole run with me, at my pace. He showed me I could do 2 miles! Hopefully I'll be at your point soon!!!

I SO agree with you that it seems joggers are part of this 'world' that seems unreachable. We will definitely reach it!
Michelle125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 05:36 PM   #7  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

WTG, Lizzy! Your jog is faster than mine, and a good, respectable pace. You would not be last in a (road) 5K, not at all...you might even like it! I'm about the slowest jogger on the planet, but I love it, and I'm going to go for a 12K in June, just to see if I can jog the whole thing. I might well be the last of the joggers, but there's a walking wave, too, so I figure at least I could beat a few of them, lol!

Good luck to you, and congrats on your accomplishment! Glad you figured out that slowing down was the key!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2008, 06:04 PM   #8  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

awesome job! Congrats!!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 01:53 PM   #9  
TrinaWILLbeHOT!

S/C/G: 206/206/150

Height: 5'7

thats great!! I can't run or Jog/ I tried last summer and just couldnt do it. My husband is a cop and does not understand that my body just couldnt go anymore! He would say it's just running! welllllllllllll ok buddy your in shape! I'm not!!! One of these days though I'll get it!
mynewlife is offline   Reply With Quote