South Beach Diet - SBD friendly Waldorf Salad?

View Full Version : SBD friendly Waldorf Salad?

SkinnyDogMom
03-22-2008, 11:49 AM
DH and I ate at Ruby Tuesday's yesterday. I had a taste of their Waldorf Salad. It is very tasty. It wasn't too sweet, but just enough to make me believe they did add sugar as most recipes call for a bit. I would like to make a SBD friendly version. Theirs also had either dried cranberries or dried cherries in it instead of grapes or raisins.
For a Phase 2 recipe...the apples, pecans, celery, lemon juice and even the mayo/yogurt/sour cream can be easily "South Beached", what about the dried cranberries or cherries? I am thinking I can probably find these without sugar added, maybe at Trader Joe's.
I was thinking of using a mixture of 0% fat greek yogurt, low fat sour cream and a bit of regualr mayo for the sauce/dressing. I also read a suggestion to add a bit of vanilla extract.
Any other suggestions? Have any of you tried to make a SBD Waldorf Salad?
Thanks,
Karla

Ruthxxx
03-22-2008, 12:06 PM
How about using red or green seedless grapes in place of the dried fruits? I'd halve the grapes if they were largish - might be a nice touch.

cottagebythesea
03-22-2008, 12:19 PM
I used to make Waldorf Salad often, now you have me hankering for it again. :) It's pretty easy to make it SBD friendly. You can make it according to your recipe, and if you are adding cranberrries or dried cherries, you can usually find the Eden brand of dried fruits in most stores. They are sweetened with fruit juice instead of sugar.

Here's the recipe I use -

Waldorf Salad
2 cups diced apples
1 cup diced celery
1/2 cup chopped walnuts
Mix with -
1/4 cup mayonnaise
1/2 tsp. lemon juice
dash of salt
Fold in -
6 oz. Cool Whip Free

SkinnyDogMom
03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
Thanks for the recipe and the helpful hints!
I think I'll be making this today or Tuesday...depends on what the rest of today holds.
Karla

Schmoodle
03-22-2008, 04:03 PM
lol, we will probably all be making Waldorf salad this week! I may just make some tonight, since I plan to start Ph1 on Monday, It's now or not for another couple of weeks!