100 lb. Club - Easter candy calorie info

View Full Version : Easter candy calorie info

LisaF
03-22-2008, 12:10 AM
For those struggling with the temptations that Easter candy presents, I wanted to share a Newsweek article I just read about the nutritional content of some Easter candies. I'm not posting this to scare people off their treats, but because I know that, for me, it's easier to resist unplanned sweet if I'm aware of the caloric/fat impact.

The Eight Most Fattening Easter Candies (http://www.newsweek.com/id/124447?g=1)

Hope it helps!

Lisa

Lovely
03-22-2008, 12:15 AM
Good thing I've planned to skip that chocolate bunny this year O_O

Darkblue
03-22-2008, 12:37 AM
Cadbury Creme Eggs are way too sweet for me, but I never thought they'd be a better choice than other treats!!! :yikes:

sweetnsassyfied
03-22-2008, 01:21 AM
For those of you doing WW here are the points for some of the old fav's.

Easter Candy

Cadbury Caramel, 1 egg (190 cal/6 g fat/0 g fiber) 4.5
Cadbury Chocolate Creme Egg, 1 egg (180 cal/8 g fat/<1 g fiber) 4.5
Cadbury Creme, 1 egg (170 cal/6 g fat/0 g fiber) 4
Cadbury Mini Eggs (17 eggs) (200 cal/9 g fat) 5
Cadbury Mini Creme Egg, 1 mini egg 1.5
Chocolate Nest Eggs, 1 1
Dove Chocolate Bunny, 1.8 oz 3
Easter Peeps, 5 3
Hershey Milk Chocolate Eggs, 7 pieces 5
Hershey Milk Chocolate Bunny, 1, 7 oz 5
Hershey Kisses, 8 pieces 5
Hershey Kisses or Hugs, 3 pieces 2
Jelly Beans, Smuckers, 24 pieces 3
Marshmallow/Chocolate Egg, 1 piece 2
Nestles Baby Ruth, (170 cal/10 g fat/<1 g fiber) 4.5
Nestles PB Mallow, (140 cal/8 g fat/<1 g fiber) 3.5
Milky Way, 1 egg (190 cal/12 g fat/0 g fiber) 5
Robin Eggs (malted milk), 2 regular or 6 mini 1
Snickers Egg, 1 egg (170 cal/10 g fat/1 g fiber) 4

Trazey34
03-22-2008, 01:39 AM
yah I find it easier just to pass it all up entirely ....sigh... back in the day I'd get an entire POUND bunny at wal-mart each time I'd go !!! OMG that's like 6 pounds of chocolate over the course of a few weeks ewww that makes me feel queasy in the tummy!

fiberlover
03-22-2008, 10:15 AM
Sigh.... peanut butter eggs are my favorite, but I haven't had one in a couple years.

dandk0204
03-22-2008, 10:52 AM
I will miss eating my peanut butter egg this Easter. But it isn't worth it to me and plus we have a bag full of them here now and it doesn't intrest me at the least :)

fiberlover
03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
I will miss eating my peanut butter egg this Easter. But it isn't worth it to me and plus we have a bag full of them here now and it doesn't intrest me at the least :)

Good for you - you are much stronger than I am! I can't even have them in the house, or I would be snarfing them down like crazy.

gina1221
03-22-2008, 11:28 AM
Cadbury Creme Eggs are way too sweet for me, but I never thought they'd be a better choice than other treats!!! :yikes:

I was equally as surprised by this... I never thought those sweet sweet eggs would be a "better" option than a Reese's peanut butter egg. :eek:

wendymeows
03-22-2008, 11:55 AM
Thanks for posting the article and the ww points! I will be skipping the candy this year because I am VERY stingy with my points...I would rather real food than something sweet! Real food is my downfall :(

Nancy CA
03-22-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for posting the points list! It'll make it easier for me to resist if I can look at that one egg and say "Nope! Not worth the 5 points for me!" I'm the same as you guys though, if I start eating them at all I won't be able to stop myself!

Trazey - you aren't alone on that. I used to buy the huge "Costco" bags of chocolate covered almonds and go through one in two days or so. The thought of it now makes me feel ill.

GirlyGirlSebas
03-22-2008, 12:22 PM
*sigh* I miss my Cadbury eggs. For me, there was never any such thing as "too sweet." But, they weren't a very good friend, were they?

Glory87
03-22-2008, 12:54 PM
I have been Peep free for over 3 years. Like Halloween and Christmas, I just don't eat Easter candy. I know it must sound horribly restrictive, but I really appreciate the peace of mind. I don't have to worry about it.

knitsforfive
03-22-2008, 10:48 PM
Cadbury Eggs have been the catalyst for me regaining about 40 lbs. TWICE! YUP - TWICE I had lost 40 lbs. sometime before Easter (even through Christmas) and then gained it all back sometime after the CEs came back into the stores for Easter. I would find an excuse to go to Target, where I would frequesntly munch on a bag of Cadbury mini-eggs while shopping and then buy some big Cadbury Eggs to bring home. Easter is so much more dangerous to me than Christmas.

This year, I stayed away from Target and shopped only at stores not carrying the EGG (Trader Joe's, Whole Foods). I asked a friend to buy me one egg and store it at her house until all the other eggs are gone from the stores. When that day comes, I will go to her house, savor my egg, journal the calories, and then be done with it.

That's the plan. Stupid egg.

sweetnsassyfied
03-23-2008, 02:22 AM
That's the plan. Stupid egg

But what a Smart cookie!! ;) That's an Egg-cellent plan!! :rofl:

Lunalore
03-23-2008, 09:19 AM
Oh man, I love Easter candy. A couple weeks ago (before I started on my diet) I bought 2 bags of Reese's peanut butter eggs and ate them both in less than a day. It was terrible.

My real downfall is Cadbury Cream Eggs. I could eat like 6 of those in one sitting.

sarahdafiregal
03-23-2008, 11:43 AM
My downfall is the peanut butter egg too. I absolutely love peanut butter...probably have an addiction or something. Anyway, #1 rule of this weight loss journey is NO PEANUT BUTTER!!

It was nice to see that peeps are only 3 points per 5. Since my Mom gave us an easter basket (she got me a sushi roller...gotta love her!) with two packages of peeps and two Richard Stover solid chocolate easter bunnies, at least I know I can eat the peeps without feeling too guilty. My hubby and I made a deal... the easter bunnies are his and the hard boiled eggs are mine.

FresnoBeeDude
03-23-2008, 12:17 PM
DAMMIT! DAMMIT! DAMMIT! Why did my beloved Peeps make number 1? When I clicked on that link, I drooled on that beautiful picture on the screen!

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/belhoste/ultimate_peep_show.jpg

http://i76.photobucket.com/albums/j16/belhoste/peep_show.jpg

http://i111.photobucket.com/albums/n121/lois5170/Peep-Show1.jpg

http://i18.photobucket.com/albums/b116/SoraNoYume/Peepinshower.jpg

tamaralynn
03-23-2008, 12:27 PM
LOL - thanks for posting those Fresno.

I used to always buy myself a bunch of easter goodies when I got the stuff for the kids. Well I skipped it this year. But I'm a sucker for the Robin's Eggs (Malts). I may buy myself a small carton of it (about 30 of them for about 89cents) and let it last... yea right - maybe not.

SuchAPrettyFace
03-24-2008, 12:12 AM
I only had a couple of peanut butter eggs (the mini ones) and one egg's worth of Starburst Jelly Beans (they are the best). I didn't have any Cadbury Mini Eggs. To me, they are the troika of Easter Candy, but I didn't have any Cadbury eggs & only 1 of the eggs of jelly beans. That is much better than in years past.