100 lb. Club - O/T support/prayers needed please

View Full Version : O/T support/prayers needed please

famograham
03-21-2008, 02:34 PM
I've noticed a lot of Mom talk lately, and I'm glad...because I have a new and terrifying Mom issue.

My Mom has been a smoker for over 50 years. Well, about a week ago, her doctor sent her for a chest x-ray. They called her into the office and told her that they could see a small spot in one of her lungs. :( Possibly just a shadow....but...
She then had to go for a CT scan on Wednesday morning, to see if they can figure it out.

She has not received the results yet, and we won't know anything until after the long weekend.

I have always known that this is probably the way she would go, but I'm just not ready...not yet, please God. Many of you know how close I am with my Mom.

She, and my sister, and others...seem to find it much easier than I do, to just relax and wait to know for sure. But I have always been the one to take all the worry on, for everyone, and anyone.

I am really trying to stay positive, and assume the best...but I am so terrified.

Does anyone have a story to share with me, and could you keep us in your prayers??? :cry:

:hug:
Linda

sarahdafiregal
03-21-2008, 02:46 PM
:hug:Linda:hug:

You can bet that I'll be keeping you in my prayers.

I went through something similar with my Dad three years ago. He had a heart attack and refused to have anything done with him. The doctor's were so mean and they put him in hospice and gave him 2 weeks at the most. One doctor finally got through to him and he ended up having a triple by-pass with an aortic valve replacement. He was a heavy smoker as well and ended up having both his lungs collapse. At one point they had six chest tubes in his chest. He was miserable and in ICU for a month. But, he did live. Had another heart attack last month and got through that too.

I'm an only child, so I understand your terror. At times I just lay in bed thinking of the inevitable. I don't know how I'll get through, but somehow I always seem to.

Please remember to take care of yourself too. Keep us updated on things.

Lots of Hugs!! :hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug:

mandalinn82
03-21-2008, 02:51 PM
Linda - I'm sending lots of healthy, good thoughts to your mom. Worrying won't change the results one bit, though, so try to ease your mind. It can be rough, but when you worry, just repeat - worrying won't change this one way or the other.

GirlyGirlSebas
03-21-2008, 03:04 PM
Linda, I'm praying for you and your Mom.

SoulBliss
03-21-2008, 03:05 PM
:hug: I am praying for you and your family, sweetie.

fiberlover
03-21-2008, 03:29 PM
My thoughts are with you and your family.

Gela
03-21-2008, 03:33 PM
Linda you are in my prayers. Be strong :hug:

michellenew
03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
linda
i'll pray for you and your mom!
michellenew:hug:

Lovely
03-21-2008, 04:11 PM
Good thoughts being sent to you, your mom & family :goodvibes :hug:

mezmerize
03-21-2008, 04:12 PM
Prayers are being sent!!

CountingDown
03-21-2008, 04:17 PM
Prayers ascending! My mom smoked for 50+ years too. She finally quit when she was diagnosed with Emphysema. She did have a shadow on her lung x-ray, but thankfully further tests were very positive :)

She is actually doing fairly well right now - she has to take it easy, but she is even doing WATP videos I sent her to help build some stamina and endurance.

Hang in there - and stay positive!

shelby897
03-21-2008, 04:22 PM
Praying for your mom (and you :hug:) that everything turns out okay.

barbygirl43
03-21-2008, 04:23 PM
:grouphug: Linda I'm so sorry to hear this. I'll be thinking of y'all. :grouphug:

MamaToTomAndAlex
03-21-2008, 05:11 PM
Thinking of you and wishing you and your Mother all the best and I hope it's nothing :)

*hugs*

althepirate
03-21-2008, 05:59 PM
Well, finding out something may be wrong is never a good period of life. My grandmother passed away about a month and a half after the doctor discovered a tumor on her cerebellum. She passed away from complications of the surgery.

In any case, studies have been done to show that when the patient is active in their treatment and remains optimistic it will extend their lifespan.

:hug: I'll be praying for your mom! We're here if you need us!

Sandi
03-21-2008, 06:11 PM
:hug: I know it's hard, but please stay positive. It's a waste of precious time to worry until you have something to worry about. :hug: Love you!!!

Healthy Mama
03-21-2008, 06:43 PM
Aw Linda my heart goes out to you and your family. As an obsessive worrier myself I can fully relate to how you must be feeling. The not knowing can be just as scary. I don't have a parent story to share, but a health one nontheless.

Four years ago my big strong 32 year old husband was rushed to the ER and diagnosed with heart failure after a flu virus went crazy and attacked his heart muscle (this is the very, very short version of the story). I felt like I had been hit with a truck - literally. I didn't sleep or eat for months and worried myself sick. I am a control freak and couldn't deal with the fact that this was something I couldn't do anything about. I prayed and clung to the belief that God wouldn't give me/us more than I/we could handle (even if it felt like it at the time). Paul did recover, quite miraculously, with good doctors and lots of hard work on his part and we both came through it very different people. I bought a fridge magnet when he was quite ill that I still have up to this day with this quote "You cannot control the winds, but you can adjust your sails". I continue to adjust my sails, sometimes on a daily basis.
Peace to you - and breathe.

OnlyMeantWell
03-21-2008, 06:54 PM
You're in my prayers for tonight :hug:

I'm sure that you are not the only one freaking out by the way, the others are freaking out on the inside, but they are just pretending to be okay on the outside. It's okay for you to be upset. Try not to get too worked up about anything until you know one way or the other...easier said than done, I know.

Beverlyjoy
03-21-2008, 07:11 PM
I am so sorry to hear this - prayers and healing thoughts for your mom and your family. :hug:

SuchAPrettyFace
03-21-2008, 08:48 PM
:hug: Linda, I will keep you & your family in my prayers & let my mom know too so she can add you to the prayer chain at church. I loves ya, baby! :hug:

PaulaM
03-21-2008, 09:23 PM
Praying for your Mom and you too!

famograham
03-22-2008, 02:37 PM
I came home last night after being out with Rudy, and read this thread. It took EVERYTHING I had, to hold back days worth of tears!

I can't express how much your prayers, words and stories mean to me! Just to know that there are so many people out there sending positive thoughts and prayers for my Mom....makes me feel so much better, and SO incredibly blessed with the wonderful friends I have here!

I can't explain how much I love you, and what you mean to me :hug:

We're off to Mom's house today to have a big family Easter dinner...she will be so incredibly touched to know that all of you (and some of your churches...this REALLY boggles my mind and takes my breath away!), will be praying for her!

I could keep going all day, but I won't. Every single one of you...please know how deeply you've touched my heart and soul today :cry: :goodvibes:

Thank you from the bottom of my heart, and please keep praying.
:grouphug:
Linda

Tonia
03-22-2008, 08:49 PM
Father,
I lift Linda and her family up to you...please, Lord, give them peace through this scary weekend. I pray that if this 'spot' is anything you heal Linda's mom - or, better yet, that there is nothing to heal.
In Jesus name,
Amen

Linda, go ahead and cry. It will relieve some of that worry you have built up in you...I will keep praying for you and your mom!

chubbymommaof2
03-22-2008, 08:55 PM
Linda
My thoughts and prayers are with you and your mom during this difficult time. Stay strong and keep us posted.

cephalopod gal
03-23-2008, 01:30 AM
<3<3<3<3 x a billion

To you and your mom.

gr8smyl99
03-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Linda - You & your family are in our thoughts & prayers.

famograham
03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
OK......In two hours, I will be taking my Mom to get the results of her CT scan.
I am trying my hardest to stay strong.

I feel kind of numb right now, but my mind is racing.

I'm having so many feelings and I don't know what to do with them.

Lovely
03-25-2008, 02:19 PM
We're still thinking of you & your mom. Do you have time for a short walk or something? You might be able to walk out some of those feelings. :hug:

Sandi
03-25-2008, 02:27 PM
:crossed:

Hopefulpinkangel
03-25-2008, 04:54 PM
Prayers going out to you and your mom!

KateB
03-25-2008, 05:30 PM
I am praying for you and your family. I hope your Mom gets good news!!

In 2005 they found a "spot" on my lung after a long illness. In AUgust when they first found it, the spot was the size of a grape. They watched it until they removed it in November, it was then larger than a golf ball. They took the lower lobe of my left lung. It was not cancer, but a strange fungus. I was allergic to the fungus which is what caused the original illness. I was put on medication for several months. It was not a pleasant experience, but I am ok now. Not all spots are cancer, try to keep a positive outlook!!

findingfawn
03-25-2008, 05:57 PM
Sending lots of prayers and thoughts your way!

DollyR
03-25-2008, 06:02 PM
Linda,

I went through something similar to this with my Dad sevreal years ago. I know what you are feeling because like you and your Mom.....my Dad was and always will be my best friend. Stay strong and don't worry about crying....let it come and go naturally. I held it in as well when everything was happening for the rest of my family....I basically took the role he would of with them.

I hope the news is good and it is just a shadow. Blessings to you and your family!

famograham
03-25-2008, 08:17 PM
Thank you so, so much everyone....it has been a completely surreal day.

The news is not good, not good at all.
Because she hasn't had a biopsy yet..the doctor could only tell us with 99% certainty that she does indeed have lung cancer. Both lungs. Looking at the report in front of me, I'll tell you what I can decipher. 2 tumors/masses in her left lung (one is 4x3 centimeters), and two in her right...but also multiple nodules scattered within her right lung as well, and maybe her liver too.

She will be going for a biopsy ASAP...but it looks like it will basically be to determine the type of cancer and course of action.

I am sad, angry, afraid and feel like someone has kicked me in the stomach and head...

MamaToTomAndAlex
03-25-2008, 08:25 PM
:(

I am soooo sorry that you've had such lousy news. You and your Mum will continue to be in my thoughts over the coming weeks whilst you find out exactly what you're dealing with and the course of action you are going to take. Be strong....

*hugs*

mandalinn82
03-25-2008, 08:29 PM
Oh Linda, I'm so sorry to hear the news. Please keep us posted on how you and your mom are doing.

bargoo
03-25-2008, 08:43 PM
Prayers have gone up, I also want to tell that in 1985 I heard the fearful news that I had breast cancer , it is now 2008 and I am still hear to tell you about it. Think positive and trust in God.

famograham
03-25-2008, 10:00 PM
Thanks so much :hug:

I know we'll make it through this. We just have to make the best of the time we have together. I am grateful that she is not sick at the moment...and we can try to squeeze in all the living we can.

Linda

Smiling_Sara
03-25-2008, 10:06 PM
I am so sorry to hear this. You and your family will be in my prayers.

GirlyGirlSebas
03-25-2008, 10:35 PM
I am sad, angry, afraid and feel like someone has kicked me in the stomach and head...

All perfectly understandable emotions. These times are extremely difficult. Please remember to take care of yourself....get your rest, eat well, exercise. I also strongly recommend journaling. This is a great outlet for all of these emotions that can build up and overwhelm you.

I'm sending up special prayers for you and your family.

Lovely
03-25-2008, 10:38 PM
Linda - Hugs... :hug: Just many, many hugs :hug: :hug: :hug:

smilingk79
03-25-2008, 10:46 PM
About 2yrs ago my mom had a cancer scare. As we waited for the results it seemed as though time stood still. I'm super close to my mom as she is also my best friend. Who knew the mind could think so much? I know its easier said than done but try to stay and think positive. Thankfully my mom was cancer free. So I send you many good thoughts and prayers and hugs!! :hug:

Sweetcaroline
03-25-2008, 11:18 PM
I'll be praying for your mom. Stay strong for her...

joylove26
03-26-2008, 01:29 AM
I will say lots of prayers for your family.

Healthy Mama
03-26-2008, 01:45 AM
:hug: Oh Linda - so sorry to hear that it is cancerous. I hope that they get your Mom in quickly for biopsy and treatment. Is your Mom up island too?
You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.
Robyne

DollyR
03-26-2008, 04:47 AM
I am thinking of you and your mom. :hug:

findingfawn
03-26-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm sorry to hear this. Stay strong and stay positive. I will keep you all in my thoughts and prayers.

Schmoodle
03-26-2008, 10:23 AM
Linda, I am so sorry you and your family did not get good news. I read your post and was trying to think of some strong, positive words to add, but I am not good with this kind of thing. Please know that I have been thinking of you and your mom and that we will do our best to help you deal with whatever you will have to deal with. Hugs and positive thoughts coming your way!

sarahdafiregal
03-26-2008, 10:35 AM
Linda,

Words cannot express how sorry I am to hear the news. I'll be praying for you. Stay strong and cry when you need to. Take it one day at a time and don't forget to take care of yourself too.

:hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug::hug: :hug::hug::hug:

famograham
03-26-2008, 12:42 PM
Robyne- Yes...Mom is up island too, she is in Nanoose, so only about ten minutes away :) It's the farthest I've ever managed to live away from her :lol:

Thank you all for your wonderful words, I'm going to need you so much in the near future for weight stuff, and now this too...I'm SO glad you are here :yes:

Sarah...no need to worry about me letting myself cry...I think I'm the queen of tears (always have been).

It was so strange, the rollercoaster I was on last night. We were sitting here at home (Rudy and I, after the kids were in bed) and even though I was OK in spirits...the tears would JUST not stop! I'm actually grateful for the ability to let it out...but MAN..it was getting annoying after a while!

My eyes are sore and puffy today! I have to go to work, so I compressed them with a cold cloth, and did the best I could with makeup...but it's still very easy to tell! I think at this point, I'll just say I have a cold..so I don't have to tell the story a million times today!

I love you guys :)
Linda

pamatga
03-26-2008, 05:18 PM
As I have shared before, my Mom found out she had advanced endometrial cancer and leukemia the week before Christmas. She is also diabetic. Each holiday we pass and she is alive with us we feel immensely grateful. I have said a nightly Rosary for her and others who are sick, so consider it done that your Mom is right on that list as well.

It is not what I can do that will help but what He can do to help!

Best of love to you and your family. Come here as much as you need to. Keep us posted as well.

Love :hug: one who is walking the same road. Pam

famograham
03-26-2008, 08:34 PM
Pam :hug: Thank you so much.
I'm so sorry for what you are going through. I'm glad that that you have had some wonderful memories with those holidays!
I'm sending love to you and your family also :goodvibes:

Linda

Hopefulpinkangel
03-26-2008, 10:34 PM
I'm so sorry. :( Continued prayers being said for you and your mom.