100 lb. Club - Lunch ideas - please share!

View Full Version : Lunch ideas - please share!

fiberlover
03-21-2008, 09:17 AM
I usually have a Zone bar or NS bar for lunch with a boca burger.

I need some new ideas. I don't do salads, so that is out. But would like some good protein rich options. I do like portable lunches.

Schmoodle
03-21-2008, 09:49 AM
My favorite lunches are leftover dinners. I also love soup, and I usually make a big pot of something on the weekend and use that for weekday lunches. If I'm going to the office, I just throw some in a container the night before, grab in the AM, and zap at work.

Smiling_Sara
03-21-2008, 09:50 AM
for lunches I usually do a frozen meal like lean cuszine. There is a huge variety, and I'll have a peice of fruit with it as well. If I get sick of the frozen dinner thing, I will have soup sometimes as well, with some veggies.

Lovely
03-21-2008, 09:55 AM
I think I'm probably boring. I usually make a sandwich with a few slices of packaged lunchmeat & mustard on Light Rye. I have a WW yogurt. A cheese stick or Mini Bel. And then an apple or orange or both. If I have leftovers from dinner I'll sometimes take those, though.

RealCdn
03-21-2008, 10:43 AM
I like soups as well, but in the past have done wraps. Take a small whole wheat tortilla with some mustard and meat of choice. I sprinkle a little cheese on it, nuke it, then wrap it up. I'm usually making it to eat right away, but this should travel well. I used to serve it with a side of roasted vegetables with a little balsamic vinegar. It's not bad cold, but if you can reheat it a little it does taste better.

jillybean720
03-21-2008, 10:45 AM
Why not salads? I used to hate salads until I started experimenting with different ingredients and making my own dressings.

Anyway, salads aside, how about a sandwich? wrap? soup? chili? stir fry?

scoobie74
03-21-2008, 10:54 AM
I like fruits and vegetables and soup for lunch.

Heidelitos
03-21-2008, 11:13 AM
Yesterday, I made a can of tuna with a little light mayo and onion...then stuffed a hollowed out tomatoe with it. It was great...and it looked gourmet!! But I also think leftover dinner is a good pick. I eat a lot of stir fry, and just make extra for another meal down the road.

fiberlover
03-21-2008, 12:16 PM
[COLOR=indigo]Why not salads?

A few reasons. The biggest being that I waste a lot of lettuce on it just going bad in the fridge. We shop once per week, and when the farmers market isn't open - that means those fresh thing once. I work from home most days (unless I am actually doing one of my rehabs), so that would mean an extra trip out to get produce - and we try to live pretty green, so avoid extra gas useage whenever possible. That's probably the main reason/excuse for no salads. I do eat them when we go out, but they just aren't a favorite of mine.

They also don't fill me up. Even if I put real dressing for fat and some protein on top, I just get too hungry 1/2 hour later. I don't know why that is, kind of weird.

I also don't like too many veggies, so piling the lettuce portion full of other veggies doesn't work. I feel the lettuce has the least nutritional value out of the whole thing.
I eat steamed and roasted broccoli/cauliflower and carrots every day for dinner, that's kind of my veggie staple :).
Over the years, I just realized that salads at home don't work well for me. It was kind of an 'aha' moment, and when I quit trying to force myself to eat them, I am much happier on my plan.
Probably more than you wanted to know LOL.

KateB
03-21-2008, 12:34 PM
I make a chicken "salad"...(not the lettuce kind) and put it in a pita or a wrap.

Here is how I make it

3 oz chicken breast cooked and diced
2 T chopped walnuts
1/2 apple diced
1-2 ribs celery diced

Dressing
1 T soy "mayonaise"
1 t dijon mustrd
1 t lemon juice
1 t honey

Mix dressing, toss with other ingredients, serve in a pita, wrap or on a bed of lettuce (guess that one is out though)

pintobean
03-21-2008, 12:50 PM
I am not too crazy on salads as well especially not for my main meals anyway. That said, I do eat a small salad everyday before I eat my dinner. It's part of my evening snack so it fills me up enough before I eat dinner. I think eating salad everyday for evening snack has helped me a lot. We use light dressings and usually cut heavier dressings with lemon juice to give it zest.

For lunches, I usually take either one of the Lean cuisines, Smart Ones or Stouffers frozen entrees (lunch portions). They are convenient and between the 3 brands I find enough variety. But so far I'm not bored yet :) It's convenient if you're looking for something easy and less time consuming.

As mentioned above, tuna and chicken salad with toast is good idea. I make it with light Mayo. Also several varieties of Campbell and Progresso soups come in smaller packaging enough for lunch portions :)

I also bought Perdue brand seasoned cooked chicken strips. They have 3 flavors available. And I make homemade quesadilla using light tortilla. I'll be putting the recipe on my blog soon. I make it sometimes for variety. Boca burgers are always good :)

SwimGirl
03-21-2008, 12:57 PM
Glad to hear I'm not the only one who doesn't eat salads! I always feel kind of freakish about that. Salads are typically staples of diets, I'd rather have 3 cups of steamed veggies!

I've sometimes eaten plain rice cakes with the little flavoured tuna can's, and altho it doesn't really go together, I've steamed veggies the night before and had that with it. People at work think I'm weird, but it works!

-Aimee

Healthy Mama
03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
I make veggie enchilladas that are sooo filling at about 250 calories. I got the recipe from a WW cookbook. It is a wrap filled with refried black beans, mexican veggie "burger" and topped with cheese and enchillada sauce and baked. My husband always tries but can never eat more than one they are so filling. I always make extras so I can take them to work for a couple of days.

nelie
03-21-2008, 12:59 PM
I love salads and eat them pretty much every day. I really enjoy topping them with warmed refried beans or just with salsa. I do enjoy cool/cold foods more than cooked foods so that is one reason I love salads and I do find them filling. I don't eat a salad as my meal though and it is usually a side.

2sweet
03-21-2008, 01:58 PM
Dr. Praeger's burgers are fantastic because they're not mainly soy. They're these compact little rich-tasting flavor burgers. The success lies in the fact that they aren't trying to taste like a real ground beef burger, the way Boca burgers try to. They're just their own awesome little thing. The ingredients are: Carrots, Black Beans, Onions, String Beans, Corn, Zucchini, Soybeans, Oat Bran, Peas, Red Pepper, Spinach, Expeller Pressed Canola Oil, Broccoli, Textured Soy Flour, Oat Fiber, Arrowroot, Jalepeno Peppers, Chili Powder, Garlic, Corn Meal, Corn Starch, Cilantro, Salt, Parsley, Black Pepper, All Natural Vegetable Gum.

I don't even use a bun. But you CAN be totally decadent and melt gruyere cheese on them and some of those sliced jalapenos in water, eat them with a lot of ketchup. They taste good microwaved, but exceptionally good if you spray Pam or olive oil on a pan and get them really crispy on the outside.

The spinach ones are wonderful and at 110 calories each, you can't go wrong.
Carol

Darkblue
03-21-2008, 03:27 PM
I make sandwiches with whole-wheat tortillas or whole-wheat pita bread, a bit of low-fat mayo, and a few slices of deli-thin turkey and ham. Hot or cold, they're good. I'll take a cheese stick, dill pickle slice, or a few baked Lay's potato chips to go with the sandwich, as those are all low-cal options.

Sometimes I'll make tuna or salmon salad out of one tbs low-fat mayo, one of those little cups of salmon or tuna, some diced green olives, and minced onion. I like this with All-Bran crackers.

In the winter, I like soup--lentil, split-pea, or bean soup. I also buy Healthy Choice, Kashi, and Lean Cuisine microwave meals during the winter.

Sometimes I'll take a whole-wheat tortilla, spread it with beans, sprinkle some cheese, and heat it up in the microwave. Add some salsa, and I can pretend I'm having an enchilada.

I always have a piece of fruit, always drink water or unsweetened iced tea.

And because I have a horrible sweet tooth, I'll take a couple graham crackers for the end of the meal.

I'm with you, though--I like salad, but half an hour later I'm starving, no matter what I do with the salad. They take forever to eat and just don't have enough bulk.

Beverlyjoy
03-21-2008, 03:32 PM
I eat all kinds of different things:

-cottage cheese with banana or peaches or pears
-open faced sandwiches with turkey and lite cheese
-wraps
-can of Healthy Request or some other low sodium soup
-scrambled egg whites with cheese and toast
-egg white cooked with brown rice onions, mushrooms and one t. of soy sauce (tastes like "fried" rice)
-HC frozen dinner or one of the lite varieties of frozen dinner
-tuna sandwich
- open face veggies burger with lite cheese
- natural peanut butter and honey on whole wheat bread.

Have fun with your new lunch ideas. I add veggies on the side usually to whatever I fix.

fiberlover
03-21-2008, 06:34 PM
Thank you for all the ideas! Gonna try to shake things up this week just for something different.

WildThings
03-22-2008, 11:45 AM
I am another soup person. I live by myself, so I make a huge pot of soup on the weekends, put it in container and store in the freezer, then just grab one on my way out the door in the morning. There are so many options for soups, but my two favorites are a chicken vegetable soup, and white chili. With both, I can add as many veggies as I want, but both have a meat base (chicken) so they have a lot of protein. With the white chili, it has the beans also to add some much needed fiber.

I do leftovers some times also. I don't like keeping leftovers very long (mold intolerances), so I take them for my lunch to use them up. I am not a salad person. Due to food intolerances, I only have the option of a select few dressings and I'm not crazy about them. I would much rather have something with a little more substance for lunch or I'm starving by the time I get home from work.

Lyn2007
03-22-2008, 12:30 PM
Some of my favorite lunches are based on veggies.

A huge bowl of beet greens cooked with 40-calorie bacon, onions, and seasonings

A bowl of baby lima beans with onions and ham bits

Bowl of boiled fresh beets with a tsp of butter and vinegar

big plate of sauteed asparagus and leeks

plate of steamed butternut squash cubes with smokey cheddar melted on top

half a baked acorn squash with a spinkle of brown sugar

sauteed mushrooms, onions and zucchini topped with a squirt of pizza sauce and some melted 2% cheese on top

big plate of spaghetti squash topped with a bit of olive oil and parmesan cheese and garlic

Plate of steamed asparagus topped with a chopped boiled egg mixed with light mayo and mustard

You get the idea. When I eat those things, I have the most success.

I am not really fond of salads, either, except for this one:
huge bowl of baby spinach and sliced fresh mnushrooms, topped with grilled chicken cubes, a slice of crumbed bacon, and a dressing of cider vinegar/water/splenda. SOmetimes I add in a boiled egg.

bethz
03-22-2008, 07:53 PM
I pack my lunch each day. Try to bring a few things so I can eat as a meal or as a snack and a meal. Might include a diet soda a couple times a week. Also like herbal tea, and lots of water. Here are several examples. Bethz

Lunch one: ff or lf yogurt
a few grapenuts for crunch
apple or clementines
pretzels

Lunch two: turkey sandwich on rye w/ lettuce and tomato
banana
snack bag of baked lays

Lunch three: rice cakes with peanut butter
small container of canned fruit in own juices
carrot sticks

Lunch four: pb and sf preserves sandwich
pears
sliced green and red peppers w/ ff dressing

Lunch five: laughing cow cheese spread
Wasa bread
grapes
celery sticks

Lunch six: 24 tortilla chips with salsa
apple

Lunch seven: bean salad
applesauce
pita bread

Tonia
03-22-2008, 07:57 PM
I eat most of the same things:
- sandwiches (mostly turkey or veggie)
- wraps
- soups...lots and lots of soups
- leftovers

But my fav quick/easy lunch is cottage cheese mixed with some sort of fruit.