Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #1  
weeeeeeeeeeeee

Height: 5'9"

Thumbs down a strange (annoying!!) pattern developing - ADVICE? :(

As I near the 3-month mark on Weight Watchers, I have noticed a startling pattern developing in the weeks i don't exercise at all v. the weeks i do. EACH AND EVERY week that i have faithfully gone to the gym (at least 3-4 times/week), i have significantly smaller losses than the weeks i don't. I have not yet introduced weight training, only cardio, so i don't think that whole "building muscle adds weight" thing applies to me.

What gives? If it happened one week, fine, but it has happened enough that i've noticed a pattern. I know the importance of exercise and i'm not going to give it up, but i'm wondering what could possibly cause such a phenomenon?
8mickey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:44 PM   #2  
Tiff

S/C/G: 322/ticker/175

Height: 5' 7"

okay, admittedly i know absolutely nothing for sure lol, but i did read somewhere that muscles can hold water to heal themselves. you work muscles even when doing cardio and maybe that is what is happening to you.

i actually have the same problem, but now i'm exercising more regularly and it
seems to be working itself out.

hopefully someone will come along and be more helpful
pipernoswiper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

You STILL build muscle doing cardio. You're burning fat to create energy, and you're building muscle to power you through it.

Also, your muscles will retain some fluid. If you feel stiff and sore, this could be a sign that you're not stretching and cooling down enough. Try to do some stretching/yoga on your "off" days to counteract that.

Another possibility is that you might be eating a little more when you're exercising.
FluffyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:11 PM   #4  
weeeeeeeeeeeee

Height: 5'9"

I never use my "activity points", because i find that eating more when exercising just feels counterproductive. so that can't be it. the retaining water/muscle explanation is probably what i'm experiencing! thanks ladies!
8mickey2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 10:36 PM   #5  
Weight Loss; Control Gain

S/C/G: ?/?/130

Height: 4'11"

you maybe retaining some water, however, i doubt you are building any muscle with no weights. See this thread; # 4

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...ighlight=myths

I would suggest playing with when/what you are eating when you work out. I know I am hungrier on the days I work out.
vixjean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:28 AM   #6  
Future head-turner

S/C/G: 271/see ticker/175

Height: 5'4"

This happens to me, too. My center just said that everyone's bodies are different. I still go to the gym and work out, because I know it's making me healthier and maybe even more tone - even if I can't see it on the scales.
MSTeacher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:44 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

I have experienced the exact same thing, when I've been working out about 40-60mins 5 days a week on the elliptical trainer, no or minimal change, take a few days off and do no exercise, a whoop the scales show less. And one week before my period, my weight shoots up, so I've just started taking water retention pills for that week.

But I'd say going to the gym makes your body look sooo much better though, it's really worth going whatever the scale says. I found this exercise class that combines freeweights and cardio really good for toning up.
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:44 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

Cardio does use muscles, so even though you're not "weight training" persay, you are using those muscles! It's good that you are going to continue to exercise even though you see this anomaly in the scale. Exercise = good!!
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:16 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 148/142/120

Height: 5'NOTHING

I was just thinking.

If you're exercising that hard, and not using your "exercise" points, then it might be that you are actually getting TOO FEW calories and your body is hoarding the weight. I would try a week of exercising while using your activity points and see how that goes.
FluffyK is offline   Reply With Quote