Whole Foods Lifestyle For discussion of whole foods and more natural diets.

Old 03-19-2008, 07:16 PM   #1  

Default Mayo ?

Where does mayo fit in a whole foods diet? Is it allowed at all? I have the UltraMetabolism book and it doesn't say anything about it.. just one recipe uses soy mayo...

Has anyone tried soy mayo? Any other good replacements for mayo.. I'm thinking for making egg or tuna salad..

Thanks.
Chris931 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I would assume that if you want to be completely "pure" with a whole foods diet then you'd eat homemade mayo (egg yolk, mustard, oil) made with olive oil. But, it's high in calories and it goes bad quicker then the stuff you buy.

I buy the low cal mayo from Trader Joe's. I use it so rarely, that I don't consider it a big deal. Also, I know what every ingredient on the label is, so it can't be that terrible.

Another thing to consider if you decide not to use mayo would be to substitute other things. On a sandwhich you could use mashed avocado or hummus. Tuna fish is good made with a vinegarette too. I imagine silken tofu and some lemon juice might be a good substitute in a recipe, but I have never tried this.

Last edited by zenor77; 03-19-2008 at 07:28 PM.
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 08:56 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

I'm with Zenor, I use mayo SO rarely (only to bind tuna or salmon salad) that I just buy the low fat stuff and use a small dollop. For regular sandwiches, I'm much more a spicy mustard person. I also love to spread avocado on a sandwich as bread spread, mmmm. Cranberry relish is also awesome on a turkey sandwich!
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 02:54 PM   #4  

I'm like the others - I'll go ahead and use a little real mayo for binding sandwich fillings or devilled eggs. Other than that, I don't use it at all. I do really like mashed avocado on sandwiches, you can get away with 1/4 of an avocado and it adds a lot of flavor.

For something else to add flavor to a sandwich, I make a good roasted tomato spread. It's basically roasted tomatoes and red onions, whizzed up in a food processor with a bit of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a few other ingredients. It comes out fairly thick and spreadable, and adds a great punch of flavor to chicken, turkey or veggie sandwiches. If you want the exact recipe, just let me know!
Sorcha33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 05:50 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

Hmm, likewise. A jar of mayo lasts us a looong time. I buy the real stuff since my skinny DH uses it much more than I do. My whole aim here is to eat better, not perfectly.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2008, 06:52 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorcha33 View Post
For something else to add flavor to a sandwich, I make a good roasted tomato spread. It's basically roasted tomatoes and red onions, whizzed up in a food processor with a bit of olive oil, red wine vinegar, and a few other ingredients. It comes out fairly thick and spreadable, and adds a great punch of flavor to chicken, turkey or veggie sandwiches. If you want the exact recipe, just let me know!
I'm digging up an old thread, but I would love this recipe if you're still willing to share it.

I'm looking for mayo substitutes for lunches to take to work. Anything I can top some tuna or turkey with and stuff in a pita would be lovely!

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 07:29 PM   #7  
Working My Way Back Down

Best Foods (Hellman's) has a new product out - Best Foods® Mayonnaise Dressing With Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's "creamy and delicious with the added great taste of Bertolli® Extra Virgin Olive Oil. It's lower in fat than regular mayonnaise and a great complement to a healthy diet." (their description) It's 50 cals for 1 TBSP, with 5g of fat, whereas their real mayo is 90 cals, 10 g of fat. Light is 45 cals, 4.5 g of fat, and Low-fat is 10 cals, 1 g fat - but it contains HFCS. All except real mayo have a modified corn starch, which I assume is for thickening them up.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2008, 09:07 PM   #8  

S/C/G: Size 26/22/8

^ That does sound tasty. I just use plain yogurt, myself. I used to hate mayo as a kid. I don't now, but I've learned ways to not use it.
cheetara is offline   Reply With Quote