Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-18-2008, 11:53 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

Default Commercials

As I am sitting here surfing the web and watching Scrubs, I am outraged by what I see on TV.

Atleast once during every commercial break I see a commercial that idealizes food - but not food that is good or healthy for you. I think it is really sad how people look down on overweight or obsese people, yet our media culture perpetuates the cycle by encouraging us to eat fat, greasy, unhealthy food.

Also - the media obsesses over celebrities who gain weight. I think this is terrible. I feel sorry for these celebs. Most of the time they aren't even unhealthy.

Does anyone else ever feel this way? I just hate the fact that I'm still up, still hungry, but know I shouldn't eat. It's hard when I see freaking red lobster yummy shrimp with butter and garlic sauce.

Thank God I don't have any money on me right now.
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 02:13 PM   #2  
wishin' for sun!

S/C/G: 260/see slider/135

Height: 5'1"

Default I agree!

Those food commercials (and in fact, all commercials) drive me out of my mind! I've worked to just not watch when commercials come on. I have had some success as my kids will ask me, "Did you see that ad about _____?" and I never know what they are talking about. The only commercials I actually remember anymore are ones with Nascar drivers in them! So, the only advice I can give is to quit watching the commercials-mute the tv and leave the room if you have to. Take those "breaks" to run up and down the stairs a couple times or get a glass of water. I also read a book or magazine on the commercials so I'm not looking at the tv. Hope some of this helps.

Best wishes!
ronni62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 04:09 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 215/TICKER/140

Height: 5'7"

Ooh good suggestions!

I never thought of just ignoring them...sometimes the simplest things are the best for us!
OnlyMeantWell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:07 PM   #4  
Lola

S/C/G: 225/ticker/150

Height: 5'5"

i have the same problem. i'm always finding myself craving some food i saw on a commercial and just can't get it out of my head til i eat it (and usually too much of it). but at the same time, i'm bombarded by images of what i SHOULD look like according to the media, and can't seem to shake those images either. then i just start beating myself up in my mind.

here's my problem with not watching the commercials - i have a habit of eating while i watch tv, so avoiding watching the commercials will probably lead to me roaming the kitchen and eating while i wait for my show to come on. hmmm maybe i need to find a new hobby and avoid tv all together! LOL

Last edited by Princess0113; 03-22-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Princess0113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2008, 02:34 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

Yuck, I know. It's like they're TRYING to torture us... All of those stations that will air hoards of commercials featuring yummy looking crap- right in between between shows that will call any celebrity that isn't frail and bony looking "fat".

My solution: I scarcely ever watch TV any more. There's rarely anything good on these days anyway.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote