Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-18-2008, 11:08 AM   #1  
One Pound at a Time

S/C/G: 190/149/150

Height: 5'6"

Default V8 Fusion - is it worth it?

I am NOT a big fruit and vegetable eater. I know I should, and I've tried and tried to incorporate more of it into my diet, but I don't get nearly enough. I usually have a salad with my dinner and maybe some greens like asparagus or green beans (not always, though) and as far as fruit goes I eat maybe an apple or a banana a day. So, I know about V-8 Fusion which is supposed to offer a full serving of fruits and vegetables and I'm wondering if it's worth drinking. Am I better off skipping it altogether because of the extra calories or is it better to get the nutrition I need from it? Side note: I have tried regular V-8 and absolutely hate it.
OnceUponADrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:48 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 233/181/160

Height: 5'9"

I didn't like it. It didn't taste vegetably, but it was really bland. Definitely didn't taste like fruit juice.
CrazedLedZepFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 02:20 AM   #3  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

They're not worth it. Look at the nutrition content--no fat (good or bad), no fiber, and no protein (or at best one gram of protein). All the calories are from sugar. So basically, they are liquid sugar with a few vitamins (and not even that many). If you want the vitamins, take a good multi-vitamin.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 12:55 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 160/160/115

Height: 5'2"

Bought it for my husband, who loves fruit juice, and he was totally unimpressed.

I know lots of people who seem to think that they need to have a big serving of plain green stuff sitting all by itself on one side of the plate, or a big salad full of fresh veggies... which will make you miserable if you don't really like veggies that much. And let's face it, your food all gets mixed together in the end! I'm not saying you're like this, but maybe someone who reads this can relate...

In that case, you'd be better off "hiding" vegetables in your food -- cut into tiny pieces in pasta dishes, added to soups, sliced thin on sandwiches, mashed cauliflower instead of potatoes, roasted squash instead of french fries... etc. Same with fruit -- cut it up into cereal or oatmeal, make a smoothie with milk or yogurt, eat it on cottage cheese or yogurt or a little bit of light ice cream, incorporate it in chicken/fish dishes. See? No reason to keep them separate.

And, like BlueToBlue said, take a mutivitamin if you're worried about getting the right nutrients. I take one daily because I'm sometimes too busy to get in as many veggies and fruits as I would like.
mayness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:18 PM   #5  
LLV

I like the Fusion Light. It's half the calories and half the sugar of the regular fusion. However, it's also half the nutrition.

Last edited by LLV; 03-22-2008 at 04:18 PM. Reason: Typo Fix
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 08:29 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 237/165.8/130

Height: 5'4"

I think a question here is WHY don't you have more veggies / fruits? Is it that you don't like them? That you find preparing them to be too time consuming?

For me (and this is just my opinion, not making any value judgements here) I would think that if you're going to make eating healthily a lifestyle change, it would benefit you mroe to figure out what it is about veggies that you don't like and figure out how to work around that, rather than trying to find substitutes like the juices.

There are a lot of possibilities in the world of veggies and a lot of tips and tricks that you can use to make preparing them fast and easy.

PhotoChick is offline   Reply With Quote