Closed Thread

Old 02-24-2002, 12:50 PM   #1  

Default Death of a Pet

Hello to all...I know this is not a WW question but am coming here for support from all of you who have so unselfishly helped me in the past.Last night we lost our beloved German Shepherd ater 10 1/2 years who was lke a child to us. I have never felt such a loss in my life and have to get back to what life is all about. For the past 2 weeks I have lost 13 lbs because I CAN NOT eat. Stress I guess. Any ideas to get me back. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks again for listening
Old 02-24-2002, 12:54 PM   #2  

My deepest sympathy on the loss of your beloved German Shepard. I can imagine how sad you must be feeling. We have a 7 year old Tabby cat whom we love dearly. Be comforted in knowing that the dog had a good loving life with you.
Old 02-24-2002, 05:41 PM   #3  

Unhappy

Windwood,
I am so sorry for your loss. I have a chihuahua. She was 4 weeks old when we got her & she's 9 now. I can't even imagine not having her. I tell my husband all the time that when she's not around anymore I am going to be devastated. The only thing I could think of is try to keep yourself as busy as possible & pray. I am a believer/christian & that's what gets me thru the hard times.
My heart goes out to you.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:36 PM   #4  

Dear WindWood,

I am so sorry for the loss of your companion. I know how it feels to lose a precious pet like that.

We lost our little male Scottie (who was just 1 week shy of 11 years old) this past September. I have never grieved and cried so much in my life. I could physically feel the pain in my stomach. We still have his mother who is nearly 15 years old - very old for a Scottie.

A couple of things that were helpful to me were:
We went to www.rockitcreations.com to get a pet memorial. In fact we also bought one for our first Scottie, as well. The rocks come in different sizes. The one we designed has a picture of a Scottie on it, his name and the years he was with us. Whatever you decide to put on it is etched with a lazer. They really do a beautiful job.

While I was at the site, I looked at some of the links and found some pet loss sites, some beautiful poems (Rainbow bridge, etc. If you don't have that, please feel free to email me and I will send it to you - [email protected]), they have a chat room there where you can go and read the posts of others who are sharing about their loss and also talk about your own if you wish to. I bawled my head off while reading them, but I truely do believe that I needed to let all those tears out, as often as I need to, until I am done crying.

It also helped that my husband and I grieved together. One time I was in the kitchen and just heard him sobbing in the office. I went in and just held him.

And, I had people in my life who would just listen to me talk about him as often as I needed to. What a gift that is. Please feel free to email if you would like.

I also tried to be self-loving and take care of myself by getting enough sleep, eating healthy meals, being around people who loved me.

My daughter gave us a blank check for Christmas for another Scottie dog. There were no litters available at that time and part of me just wasn't ready yet. Although I KNOW I will fall in love in the first 28 seconds.

I wondered if the grieving would ever subside, since it was so intense. It continues to be painful, and I miss him every single day. But, I can think about him now with out such intense grief. And I do want to remember all the joy he gave us and how much fun we had with him and that we gave him. Life was such an adventure for him and he enjoyed every minute of it.

I will keep you in my thoughts. I'm sending a hug your way.
Old 02-24-2002, 07:40 PM   #5  
I wish I was a catfish

Default Sympathy

Windwood,

I would just like to offer my sympathies. I have two dogs, (10 and 9 yrs old) and I know I will be devastated when it is their time to go. I cannot offer you advice on what to do except to stay busy as Livinghealthy said and take comfort in the fact that you offered your german shepard love and happiness for 10 years. Only time will make the loss bearable, but just as losing a human that is in our lives, I don't think we can ever totally "get over" such a loss. Just keep thinking of all the good times you had together, which I'm sure are many. Best of luck.
Old 02-24-2002, 08:08 PM   #6  
Super Star

Thumbs up

I had two german sheps growing up. There is nothing I can say to you but I am sorry. Let yourself grieve. Pets provide more love than humans sometimes. Your dog is in heaven and chasing around like the pup it once was. Big hug! Tracy
Old 02-25-2002, 07:27 AM   #7  

Default When you feel ready

contact german shepherd dog rescue and honor your dog by saving the life of another.
Old 02-25-2002, 01:39 PM   #8  
Mommy To Be

I'm very sorry for the loss of your friend. It's very hard to lose someone you love- but especially pets, because it seems very few people understand what you're going through. Many people will tell you: "Oh it was just a DOG. Get another one- you'll feel better!". That don't know what it's like to feel that kind of love inside. Also, many of us believe that our loved people friends go to heaven, but what about animals? Society tells us that animals have no soul, and therefore do not go to heaven. This is wrong. You and I both know that our animal friends have the most loving souls of any creatures. They most certainly deserve an afterlife- even more so than we do.

So no matter what people tell you, please take your time to grieve. It takes a very long time, and you'll probably not ever get over the fact that your friend is no longer with you (in the physical sense). You can find many people who feel just the way you do at www.Petloss.com. It's a wonderful place with inspirational poetry and stories, as well as a message board.

I lost my best friend Tim last July 31st. He disappeared and never returned home. I think of him often. It's been almost seven months and I still cry a little everyday when the sun sets. A part of me is still in denial- I simply cannot believe that he is not with me. It still does not seem real. Many people have told me- "You should get another cat that looked just like him. That way you won't be sad anymore". People mean well when they say these things, they just don't understand. I would give anything to have Tim with me again.

Take care, and remember that it takes time to heal.

~Lisa
Old 02-25-2002, 03:35 PM   #9  

Hello to all of you who so kindly replied. I can't begin to tell you what you have done to help in this grieving process. I will always be indebted to such kind people as you are. We live on forty acres in a very secluded area and when we buried him a flock of geese flew over making me believe that his spirit will always be with us. He was daddy to 2 puppies used in the rescue at the Oklahoma bombing so his legacy will always live on. Thanks again for being sooooo comforting, Patti
Old 02-26-2002, 01:10 PM   #10  
Is is spring yet??

My condolences on the loss of your dog. {{{HUG}}}

I had to put my 17 year old cat to sleep 3 months ago (today!) and it was the HARDEST thing I have ever had to do. I was heartbroken for a while.

Just remember when he was here you gave him all the love you could - he WON'T forget that. Take comfort in all the good times. That is what I am doing. I even got her ashes sent back to me. I felt like for 17 years she was my baby....I HAD to have her at my house even now. That helps me too.

Take care - everyday it will get alittle easier.

Tara
Old 02-26-2002, 01:12 PM   #11  
In puppy hell

Windwood,

There are NO words to express the sadness of losing such a companion and friend. It sounds to me like he had a fantastic life in a VERY loving home. Soon the memories will make you smile a little and the pain will ease... give it time. You WILL get through this.

In the meantime, all of us pet people are here to listen if you want to talk.

Addey and Ice and Indy
Old 02-27-2002, 03:13 PM   #12  

Windwood,

There is nothing more pure and unconditional than the love we get from our pets, which is why I've grieved so when I've lost a dear friend.

Register your pet at the rainbow bridge site:
Rainbow Bridge

Know that you'll always have many fond memories of your time with your shepherd.

Last edited by MN_chick; 02-27-2002 at 03:16 PM.
Old 02-27-2002, 06:20 PM   #13  

Question

Windwood, just wondering how you are doing? Hope you're taking care of yourself. I know you had mentioned that you couldn't eat & you were feeling stressed. Hope to hear from you soon.

Hugs
Old 03-03-2002, 07:35 PM   #14  

Default death of a pet

Hello
we had to put our beloved Rowdyboy
down 1 yr ago feb 14th he was a 14 yr old, lapsa/shi shu ,our child,
pets are the only being that give unconditional love, they dont care if we are fat, tall, skinny, black, white, blind disabled, all they see is love, and return love in one year almost to the day after we lost rowdy we adoped lady, a american eskamio , shes a little ball of love, and has filled our hearts, but we will always love our rowdyboy, and miss him, but lady does make the pain easier to bear. when the day comes i hope you to kind another little friend to give you love and companionship.
Closed Thread