Old 03-18-2008, 12:27 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 226/197.6/150

Height: 5'2"

Default I know I want to do Flex

I just don't know if I want to do meetings or "At Home".

What have been your experiences? Pro's or Con's for either one.

I've been looking around a lot online & have found a lot of helpful info to help me do it from home. I just don't know if doing meetings will give me that extra push. But at the same time, I have a fairly hectic schedule. So I'm afraid that if I decide on doing meetings, then can't make it...then I will fall flat.

Thanks!
gemini1567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:52 AM   #2  
Tryin again beats quittin

S/C/G: 232/186.6/160

Height: 5"6

Well I'm sure there's alot of pros and cons for either choice, but if you're anything like me I prefer the meetings. It's not so much as I feel the need to go and be with the other members because I have no idea who any of them are haha.

I find the topics they talk about, (even though I almost never speak up), are very helpful and informative.

Also, I think the meetings do give me a "push", because if I was doing it at home I would have more of an urge to 'cheat' and fall outside the 'rules' because I don't have that one day a week crawling up on me. I really like having that judgement day going to the meeting because it pushes me to make better choices during the week, reminding myself that if I overindulge in something, it's going to show up on the scale, and that's definitley not what I want.

On my last note, if you found that it was difficult to get to WW on the same time every week, there's nothing to sweat because they're open everyday, and hold meetings *at least in my area* 3 times a day. Plus staying for the meetings is optional, although that 30 minutes is something I'll try to never miss because ever since I've been going I've been noticing how all the topics DO apply to me, and I get comfort in knowing that the people sitting all around me are ALSO being effected. It's like a comfort, knowing it's just not your problem that you have all alone.

Whether or not you decide to do it at home or go to the meetings, I encourage you to keep posting around here. I haven't been around long, but it's one of the best things I've done since starting because the other people that post on here give you really good advice when you need it, boost your confidence and overall make me feel alot better being able to openly discuss problems you're having.

Wow I wrote alot. Well, hope that helped, and Good Luck!
(we have almost the same goal, go us!)

Last edited by Tendalaya; 03-18-2008 at 12:54 AM.
Tendalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 12:58 AM   #3  

Thanks alot!

I didn't realize the meetings were only 30 minutes. For some reason in my head I was thinking they were like an hour...which was kind of scaring me off too. Knowing that it is only 30 minutes seems a lot more "inviting" to me.

I'm also fairly shy irl, so I was worried about having to make buddies with the people at the meetings. But hearing you say you barely know them, also calms my fears a bit.

Thanks again for your help!
Old 03-18-2008, 01:03 AM   #4  
Tryin again beats quittin

S/C/G: 232/186.6/160

Height: 5"6

No problem!

Oh and don't quote me, sometimes I find they do run into like, 45 minutes?

LOL, and yes, I'm very shy when it comes to these types of things. I hardly say a word when I get in there if there's alot of people. But I do talk to the leader and the receptionist. The staff there is always really friendly. Gee, it's like they understand right? lol, they're lifetimers, meaning they initially had a weight loss goal they had to conquer in order to get that job. (I believe I'm correct?) But you really get a great boost when you start making progress, stickers and smiles! Haha, like grade four all over again.

Let us know how you do, and you can do it!
Tendalaya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:46 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

I go to meetings and would encourage you to try it. There are some folks around here that are doing it at home online or just doing it with the materials they have. I NEED the meetings. It has been my lifesaver I can't tell you how many times. Just when I think I can't do this and I'm a failure, I force myself to go to my meeting and I find something to help me go on.

Our leader says you need to make YOU a priority. If you have a regular haircut appointment, you make it. If you go to the doctor for a physical exam, you make it. You need to say "This is IMPORTANT and it is for ME" I can't tell you how many years I've put my family and others in front of taking care of ME. This isn't about them. This time it's about me and how I deal with eating and the issues that come with it.

I hope you give the meetings a chance. They are scheduled many times during the week. You get to attend as many as you wish and only weigh in once a week. You can skip from day to day if that is what works for you. My meetings usually run 40-45 minutes and I do them on a lunch hour but that's okay because it isn't like she rambles and I'm bored. I can get up and leave at any point but I stay because there are so many others with info to share and my leader is fab.

BTW, if you don't like your original leader, don't hesitate to try other meetings until you find one that "clicks".

Welcome to WW and I wish you great success
Rosegarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 07:51 AM   #6  
Made of Starstuff

Hi there Gemini

I honestly wouldn't have made it as far as I have without going to meetings. The pros far outweigh (no pun intended) any cons. First of all, there's that in-person accountability. Someone else there to see my progress/feedback each week. Then there's the group atmosphere. This group of people just like myself who are looking to conquer their own weight issues. The leaders and staff who have all lost weight using WW. The weekly topics which DO help me focus on changing one thing at a time.

You certainly don't have to say anything or talk in the meetings. I found that while at first I didn't really know anyone, I see some of the same people each week so we make friendly and discuss a little weight loss/life. They usually run 30-45 minutes (closer to 30 in my experience). There are various times to choose from if you can't always make a certain meeting.

It's been worth it. I suggest that you try it out for a month to see if it's something that's right for you.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2008, 10:29 AM   #7  

Height: 5'7"

I've done both. Last time I did WW it was strictly at home because I didn't have the money to go to meetings. This time I'm going to meetings and let me tell you, it makes a HUGE difference in my commitment level and attitude towards this process to be going to meetings. You don't have to speak up if you don't want to... But at least for me, I went in thinking I'd never speak up and now I do when I have a loss or something to celebrate, because having like 40 people in one room cheering for me is just so incredible!

My meetings never go over 30 minutes. The first time you go they'll ask you to stay another 15-20 mins to go over the details of the plan. After that it's usually 30 minutes... Though that might vary on your area? Hmm.

Anyway, I'd highly recommend the meetings -- think of how inspirational reading those "Goal!" posts are, and seeing those stories about people who have successfully lost weight and kept it off. So motivational, right? Now think of being part of those stories -- seeing those people in real life -- watching them struggle with the same things you struggle with, being part of that struggle. It's powerful to be there in that, not just looking at befores and afters on a computer. There's a woman at my meeting who has lost a total of 112lbs so far, and she is SUCH an inspiration. She's so positive, upbeat, wise... I've never talked to this woman but whenever she talks in meetings everyone just quiets down and listens. And I wouldn't have her to draw strength from unless I went to meetings.

Okay, off the soapbox Long story short, I'd choose meetings!
suitejudyblueeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 02:58 AM   #8  

Thank you girls a lot. I'm going to see if I can make a meeting friday or saturday! I figure, I might as well try it. I'm lucky enough that my doctor has "prescribed" it, so my health care will cover it.

You'll be seeing more of me around here, I promise!
Old 03-21-2008, 08:05 AM   #9  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by gemini1567 View Post
Thank you girls a lot. I'm going to see if I can make a meeting friday or saturday! I figure, I might as well try it. I'm lucky enough that my doctor has "prescribed" it, so my health care will cover it.

You'll be seeing more of me around here, I promise!
Wow that's awesome! Please let us know how it goes for you We'd love to hear about it.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 10:01 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 280/266.8/140

Height: 5'7"

Although the meetings themselves are only about 30 minutes, you have to be there 30 minutes early to weigh in.

That being said, I really don't like going to meetings. I'm busy, it doesn't really do anything for me. I'm not into group suppoer in that sense... I prefer it online.
tormentated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:25 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 220/tickers/127

Height: 5'

Hey, there,

This is old, I know. But I went to my first WW meeting last week. It was good to get the start-up literature, but I'm not sure I'll continue with the meetings...or order an at-home kit.

First of all, their scale had me over 3 lbs higher than our scale at home (getting on it in the clothes I wore to the meeting, just before leaving to go). It hit me that our scale has been off for a while. My parents' scale and my sister's scale had me at a similar weight to what the WW scale had me.

So, we got a new scale because I don't want to be out of my mind wondering which scale is accurate.

As for the meeting, everyone seemed nice. I can see how the accountability thing would factor in. I'm thinking of going at least once more, just to make sure the two scales are at least closer in what they say.

As for the information, it seems that what they were talking about is information I've already read before. So I'm not sure I'll keep spending $14 a meeting to go. But at least for this time.

I know a lot of people rely on the meetings. A lady who had been away for a while told me that, that she needs the meetings.

We'll see, though. This week has been alright. I've noticed that I've pushed it at times...staying within my points or using just a couple of the flex points. But not always eating the healthiest choices!!

Just browsing around this forum now. Cannot figure out what to make for dinner!!

luvmyfam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2008, 04:33 PM   #12  
Wish It~Dream It~Do It

S/C/G: 230/144.2/146

Height: 5ft3

MEETINGS!! it is what helps motivate me and keep me on track! plus you get to meet new people make new friends and get lots of recipe ideas!
BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2008, 05:22 AM   #13  
fat chick FKA Velveteen

Height: 5'5½

I was MOST successful (lost 62lbs, kept it off 3 years) when I went to meetings. I too am a person that needs accountability. Right now I have time constraints, so I am doing it online, but making sure that I am active at a weight loss community (like 3FC but there are others too!) and I have it in mind that I WILL go back to meetings as soon as I can fit it into my schedule.

I am originally from the US, living in the Netherlands, so my meetings are in Dutch. Although I speak the language now, I'm not always comfortable in these Dutch-only situations. But I like it because 1) I'm being a bit social w/out having to be committed to people per se, 2) it keeps me accountable and 3) if I DO have something to say or ask I ALWAYS get the support I need. To be perfectly honest, it's not the same online - I keep a journal on another website with hardly any visitors, I keep a blog here with hardly any visitors and in other places I just feel like I don't have a connection. I have a hard time doing it on my own, but this time around I actually have a gym partner (another American girl I work with) so that does the trick for now.
PinkyPie is offline   Reply With Quote