Chicks in Control Overeating? Binging? Share uplifting support and gain control!

Old 03-16-2008, 10:58 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5'6"

Default Newbie with a question - Can you keep it in your house?

Hello All,

I am new to this messageboard, but I am not new at all to dieting and weight issues. I know that I have a problem with emotional eating. I eat because I am bored, sad, happy, nervous, etc., etc. I know what my trigger foods are and I generally keep them out of my home.

But, when I don't have any snacks of any sort at home, that's when I start to go batty. I have a physical, nervous reaction . . . I find it quite upsetting actually. I know that I am an addict (and I'm taking steps to join OA), but I'm not ready to put down the bottle (or, in my case, the bag of chips or carton of cookies).

I know that Geneen Roth and others preach the message of "legalizing foods" and keeping your favorite binge foods on hand so as to remove the temptation. I'm wondering what others think of this? Are you able to keep snacky treats in your home without overeating?

Thanks,

Glib
Glib Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:16 PM   #2  

I am not a doctor but I think your description spells a d d i c t all the way. I can NOT leave snack foods in the house. I live alone so that is good that I'm not disturbing anyone else eating habits (because of my addiction).
I have an extrememly addictive personality and I do use food like a drug, I can't enjoy is and control it, and when I start on a binge/trigger food I don't know when I will stop. Even sugar, if I eat it one day I don't know when I will be able to give it up again. I am also recovering from another addiction; one which I go to meetings for several times a week. When you said you are uneasy if you don't have snack food in the house it brougt me back to the hardest addiction I thought I would never shake (boose). When I quit smoking (like 3years ago) I had a pack of cigerates in my trunk (I live in an apt. and would have to go down two sets of stairs to the back alley and then open my trunk). To this day I keep carb foods in there (oatmeal, or sunchips) I can not having these (any carb) food in the house unless I plan to binge on it. Maybe this will work for you. Keep snack food (a small portion perhaps) in your trunk. This way you have to make a decision to go get it and eat it opposed to not thinking first, grabbing it out of the cupboard and chowing way more than planned without realizing what you've done until its too late.

Sorry for babbling!
drea1975 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:31 PM   #3  
Tired SAHM of 7

S/C/G: 290/269/190

Height: 5'7"

I have to keep snacky foods in the house because I have 7 kids.

I am doing a low carb diet - atkins - which cuts out pretty much all sugars and starches, because I know I am a carb addict. But I guess I have enough will power to over come the temptations most days. I haven't yet eating the rest of my pringles, any of the easter candy, the corn chips, I didn't have any of the lasagne with cheese bread tonight, or the ice cream for dessert.

I make sure I have what is called "legal" foods on hand. Atkins has snack and meal bars as well as shakes that satisfy my sweet tooth as well as cravings enough that I don't crave my old foods as much.

I also keep my water on hand at all times for when I have that urge to snack. I also keep chewing gum on hand as well. These 2 things are a life saver for me.

I started Last monday and I'm already down 15lbs (need to changemy avatar still). SO I guess I'm not as big of an addict as I thought since I am able to keep "illegal" foods in the house and still lose weight, and not give in to temptation.

Of course removing all temptations is a much better choice, but it's not an option for me. with 7 kids food is at a premium, LOL.
Slingnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:59 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I'm lucky to live alone too -- so the only things I have around to snack on are fruit, yogurt, cheese, and oatmeal. I can't keep any binge food around. I can't keep any candy or cookies around. I don't even keep cereal (sweetened) around -- I do have plain cheerios and bran flakes. Gum is a savior to me too.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 298/298/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for your feedback. I appreciate it a lot. I really am an addict. Just now I went out to lunch and ordered myself a turkey burger (with bacon and cheese and fries). I felt really proud of myself for getting a turkey burger instead of a regular beef burger until I saw the man a table over from me. He ordered a salad. I swear - I cannot imagine doing that . . . eating a salad of my own volition, not because I'm dieting but because I want to. I have such a long way to go . . . I appreciate your support.

Thanks,

Glib
Glib Gurl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 01:01 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/?/175

Height: 5'8

Glib, keep in mind salad's aren't always the best choice after all the dressing and extras. Congrats on making a healthier decision!

I also can't keep snacky food in my house, generally. Even when I *can* control myself around it, which is getting much better, there are always those few times I can't, and that's not worth it to me.
djs06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 02:19 PM   #7  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

It depends. Two weeks ago, when I was on sick leave, bored like **** and feeling down because of it, I couldn't keep much in the house. Right now, things are alright, and I even managed to keep cookies in my pantry for almost two weeks without thinking of them too much... but I'm busy again, so I find it easier to think of something else than food (except when I'm genuinely hungry, of course).
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 03:42 PM   #8  

Last month I read a book about legalizing foods and allowing yourself to eat intuitively, and I just couldn't do it. Maybe I wasn't doing it "right" or whatever. All I know is that I legalized cookies and pizza and gained ten pounds in about two weeks! There are just some things I can't have in the pantry or else I will go crazy and obsess until I eat the whole box. Cookies, cakes, candy bars, pastries, anything with lots of sugar, no way. Now, I AM able to have some snack foods in the house without going absolutely crazy and bingeing, like crackers, cereal, carbs with less sugar. I can stop myself with those, so generally I have them in the pantry. If I do want/need a cookie, I buy one and only one (and will usually have consumed it within 2 minutes of leaving the store!) But a whole box? No way. I just can't. You will think I'm crazy, but my husband has a lockbox in his office for his chocolate bars THAT I BOUGHT HIM!!! Hahaha. He won't tell me I'm totally wacko, but I know he'd be seriously embarrassed on my behalf if anyone found out! I just think my brain is hardwired to CONSUME IF AVAILABLE. It's helped me keep off 30 pounds, but I still have 10 pounds to go, 10 pounds which have been comparatively impossible to get off, so it's not like a foolproof method. And I will not say this is a normal or healthy relationship with food. All I know is that the alternative for me means gaining weight.

Last edited by Lizzard; 03-17-2008 at 03:43 PM.
Lizzard is offline   Reply With Quote