Old 03-16-2008, 10:09 PM   #1  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

Default new TLC show...

Anyone watch a new show on TLC tonight, called " I can make you thin" ?

The guy had some good points (AND he wasn't selling anything, just giving info over the next 5 weeks):

#1 When you're hungry...EAT
#2 Eat what you WANT not what you THINK you should eat
#3 Eat Consciously (He recommends cutting a portion of food, put it in your mouth, knife & fork DOWN, and chew at least 20 times)
#4 When feeling the slightest bit full, stop eating.

Sounds so simple as to be silly, but when I thought about it - I'm still a bit of a "shoveller" as in, I have my plate of (healthy) food, and i'm all about getting it in while it's still hot and not leaving a morsel behind LOL.

I think I'll watch over the next few weeks and see what happens.
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:17 PM   #2  

How did I miss it??? What day is it on -- I had really wanted to watch it and completely forgot about it. Even the most simple ideas seem to escape me when there's something yummy nearby -- I think sometimes I just need to be reminded why I should be eating

Last edited by shelby897; 03-16-2008 at 10:17 PM.
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:37 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

I still have to work on #3

I did find that my tastes have changed... because all I would have wanted to eat when I began this journey would be pasta, pizza, cheeses, bags of junk food. Now I can say that I want to eat some cottage cheese with a piece of fruit in the morning and mean it. In the beginning, I did have to purposefully take those things (even though I think they're delicious, more now than before). So, #2 wouldn't have worked for me right away.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:46 PM   #4  
Alicia

S/C/G: 259/259/195

Height: 5'6"

I saw it to. Was wondering if anyone would post on it. He also said to try eating one meal blindfolded or with your eyes closed, that you would eat less of the same meal had your eyes been open.

Faerie, I think my tastes have changed to. I would feel guilty if I ate some of the things I want.

I'll try to catch the next few shows to see what else he has to say!

Last edited by lois lane; 03-16-2008 at 10:47 PM.
lois lane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 10:57 PM   #5  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

Height: 5'6

Interesting. I think I'll tivo this. That with all my other weight loss shows.

Last edited by Gela; 03-16-2008 at 10:57 PM.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:06 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 288/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

I'd like to know more about #2, because as it's written up there, I really have to disagree with it. I mean, I'll eat what I want within the scope of my plan (and every so often outside of it) but that's very different that "eat what you want" as a general guideline for weight loss. Maybe it's because I don't have good food instincts anymore, but for me losing weight is about making smart choices. I chose to eat what I think I should - fruits and veggies instead of carbs, carbs, and more carbs; unsalted nuts instead of salted nuts; lower fat cheeses; and so on. I'm not sure what to think about the notion that we shouldn't make deliberate, wise, and thoughtful choices about our food.

Lisa
LisaF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2008, 11:12 PM   #7  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

Height: 5'8"

I was so trying to eat ramen while watching it and it wasn't as good as I always thought of.

I was dissapointed that he really didn't give me new information. I've read it before. Definately going to keep tuning in.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 12:13 AM   #8  
~Rena~

S/C/G: 361.4/222.4/150

Height: 5'6"

LOL! I've never heard of this show. It sure has got my attention. I think it would be fun to eat blindfolded. Very interesting.

It would be so hard to actually chew each piece of food...because I work in Home Care sometimes I don't have time to eat...so I scarfe it down (while driving) to my next client.
betty grrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 08:55 AM   #9  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

I was a bit disappointed in it. The 4 points were okay, but misleading. I also wonder what other techniques he has to show.
There is so much more to weight loss than those 4 points, and they really aren't as easy as all that.

It sounds as though this is the start of teaching intuitive eating. Intuitive eating doesn't work so well for me, I have to tell my body that this is what it is having right now, and more food is scheduled for later LOL!

I have conflicting feelings about the stop when full thing and leaving food on the plate. As a portion savvy person, I portion out the calorie allotment and nutrient quota I need and then stop. That normally means I clean my plate - since my portions aren't that big, and I have snacks scheduled in. I am satisfied after eating, and never stuffed.

So is that wrong?

Last edited by fiberlover; 03-17-2008 at 08:56 AM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:11 AM   #10  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Well, I didn't watch it, so I probably don't have any right to say anything about his points. But, I really don't think points 1 and 2 are viable options for me.

#1) Eat when you're hungry. Well, if I eat too much processed foods, I'm hungry a lot....even when I've had more than enough calories for the day. When I'm stressed, I get "hungry." I can't trust my hunger cues as I've abused them so much over the years that they don't really work accurately anymore.
#2) Eat what you want. I want meat and potatoes. I don't want vegetables. I might lose weight by eating what I want, but what about building healthier for my body?
#3 and #4 - Eat consciously and stop when full ....these sound like good practical suggestions.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 09:21 AM   #11  
Hi From Canada, eh?

S/C/G: check the ticker :)

Height: 5'8

hey Rhonda! long time no chat Believe me, I'm not defending or slamming his ideas, just food for thought.

He did say that in the coming weeks he's going to deal with REAL hunger vs. emotional hunger, so i'm looking forward to seeing that.

And I do like the notion of eating what you want and not what you think you should. Now, that sounds like he's saying just shovel in all the crap you want LOL, but it's more like take a smalllllll portion of something absolutely delightful and enjoy it to the enth degree, as opposed to having a bigger portion of low fat/chemically enriched garbage ~ that's something I can get behind! But mostly I was struck by SLOWING DOWN. I did that this morning with breakfast and it took a lot longer and I felt kinda silly LOL
Trazey34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 10:06 AM   #12  
Hooping my Life Away

S/C/G: 298/218.1/170

When I started my journey, I bought a few books to help me. I've heard these same suggestions in books like Healthy Weight Loss for Dummies, Think Thin, Be Thin, and Thin for Life. A friend sent me some magazine articles that said these same things. They aren't new. One of my friends have lost tons of weight using theset techniques. It's not like I was expecting miricle cures for weight loss. I just really wanted more tips to help my program be even better and perhaps motivate me to keep going.
Daimere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:09 AM   #13  
Vegetarian Cal Counting

S/C/G: 269/Ticker/145

I didn't watch the show last night but I did DVR it because I was curious. I'm going to check it out for a few weeks and see if there is any good info. Some of those points wouldn't work for me either. There are many days where I have no idea what I'm hungry for so how would I know what to eat? Eating only when you're hungry is very good in theory, the problem is first you have to figure out when you're really hungry and not just thirsty, bored, and so on.
Switzie6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:31 AM   #14  

I did watch it...and almost turned it off after seeing #1 and #2. If I ate every time I was hungry, I'd eat way too often. If I ate what I wanted, it would be pizza and chocolate. I do actually love many healthy foods, though. Those first two "rules" would totally backfire on me, though.

I do want to see the information on emotional eating, though.

Sherry
suzie76 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2008, 11:32 AM   #15  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Height: 5'6

Well that's it exactly. I think the biggest problem is eat when you want. I think maybe you could learn your hunger clues better, but I agree, I think scheduled snacks works better for me to deal with all the emotional issues of having food to eat.

The biggest problem is eat what you want. His theory says, well thin people around you eat what they want, they just eat smaller portions. That may be true, but from my experience they aren't the most healthy people in the world. Although yeah it's probably healthier to be them then to be over 100 pounds overweight. But what if you could do both, eat healthy and be thin. I would rather take that. Also, thin people I know don't just crave junk, they eat all kinds of things. Left to my own devices, I would have just eaten junk.

FORCING myself to eat vegetables made me love them. I don't see why you couldn't follow his tips but try to balance the food you eat a little better, but maybe that's not his plan. If it works for people, do it I guess.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GirlyGirlSebas View Post
Well, I didn't watch it, so I probably don't have any right to say anything about his points. But, I really don't think points 1 and 2 are viable options for me.

#1) Eat when you're hungry. Well, if I eat too much processed foods, I'm hungry a lot....even when I've had more than enough calories for the day. When I'm stressed, I get "hungry." I can't trust my hunger cues as I've abused them so much over the years that they don't really work accurately anymore.
#2) Eat what you want. I want meat and potatoes. I don't want vegetables. I might lose weight by eating what I want, but what about building healthier for my body?
#3 and #4 - Eat consciously and stop when full ....these sound like good practical suggestions.

Last edited by bluex; 03-17-2008 at 11:33 AM.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote