SBD Frequently Asked Questions - help:Quinoa???!!!

View Full Version : help:Quinoa???!!!

jandaman
03-16-2008, 10:54 AM
hi everybody!

i picked up something new last time at my local health food store. it's a pseudo-grain called quinoa but i can't find it in my good carbs/bad carbs list.
does anyone know whether or not quinoa is phase two safe?

here's what i found on wikipedia:

. In contemporary times this crop has come to be highly appreciated for its nutritional value, as its protein content is very high (12%18%). Unlike wheat or rice (which are low in lysine), quinoa contains a balanced set of essential amino acids for humans, making it an unusually complete food. This means it takes less quinoa protein to meet one's needs than wheat protein. It is a good source of dietary fiber and phosphorus and is high in magnesium and iron. Quinoa is gluten free and considered easy to digest

walking2lose
03-16-2008, 12:24 PM
I love quinoa... it's very high in protein for a grain, so that may make it acceptable for SB. I'm not on south beach, so I'm not sure. Good stuff!

ladybugnessa
03-16-2008, 12:29 PM
i love it! we use it all the time! enjoy it.

jandaman
03-16-2008, 01:28 PM
thanks for the info, ladies ;)

and now that i know it's good stuff, could you give me any tips on how to use it? or cook it? i'd appreciate it!

ladybugnessa
03-16-2008, 01:41 PM
i make it with chicken broth/bullion and serve it like a side dish like rice or couscous....

zenor77
03-16-2008, 03:16 PM
I'm not on SB but I love quinoa! I would suggest that you rinse it well before using it. The outer coating on the grain can be bitter. You cook it and use it like rice. 1 cup quinoa to 1.5 cups water/broth/liquid of choice and it only takes 15 minutes!

It's great as a grain salad (grains don't get hard with refrigeration), in a "fried" rice type dish, as stuffing in a "wrap" (cabbage or kale used as wrapping), I've even seen recipes for it as a breakfast porridge! It's very versatile.

murphmitch
03-16-2008, 04:12 PM
There is a red quinoa that is even healthier for you than the regular kind. I found it at a health food store. More antioxidants.

jandaman
03-18-2008, 06:20 AM
thanx! i am going to try and use it in whole grain pancakes...hmmm i'll let you know what happens :)