Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: March 16 - 31, 2008

Mel
03-15-2008, 08:43 PM
Hey look, the thread is early just for Fran's tidbit and question :eek:

What a difference a few pounds make! I'm finally below my YIKES! weight and everything is comfortably loose of fitting perfectly now. The funny and expensive effect of this is that the clothes I took to be altered two weeks ago feel too loose. But I'd soooo much rather have that problem than the opposite!

I did legs today and am including a lot of the NROLW exercises Those overhead squats are a bugger! I managed my last set with 65 pounds and barely got it re-racked. Pulled out the book and figured out what the squat to stand is- ouch.

Today was beautiful here. The daffodils are about to burst open in a few days and crocuses are blooming. That usually means we are about to get a whopping snowstorm to finish out March :lol3: My cat is fascinated by the reappearance of morning doves on the deck.

So Fran- what was that question?

Mel

elisa822
03-15-2008, 10:20 PM
I'm waiting for Fran's question too but maybe she found something better to do on a Saturday night, so I'll ask a question of my own.

This is really for my DH...maybe I should ask Mr.Lydia227. ;) Without getting into a huge post, I just need to know if I'm way off on my theories or calculations. Lately he's struggling with his weight and when he tries to limit portions/calories, he's just starving all the time. I suspect that if I plugged the numbers in, it would be clear that he's eating way too many carbs.

So, here's my questions. My DH is 6'4", about 250 and, to start, wants to lose 25 lbs.

1. Is 2000 calories a good starting point for him with no real exercise right now.
2. Should he (we for that matter) aim for a 40/30/30 split, with protein being the 40?
3. If I'm tracking food, I'm assuming that I should be able to go back and forth between calories/grams by assuming that protein & carbs are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram. Is this right?
4. If my math holds, he should be looking at about 200 grams of protein a day. (I doubt he's anywhere near that).

Anyway, thanks for letting me pick your brains. I will try to get him to add in the exercise but, other than walking, he's not too interested.

Mel - We had a really nice day here too but there's still too much leftover snow on the ground to see any possible flowers. :( Yay for you on the scale victories!!! That's so exciting! It's not been a great week for me. I know it's partially due to TOM but I can't blame all of it on that. Amazing how 2lbs. can make such a difference in the way I feel

Depalma - wow...I'm so glad your feeling better. You absolutely never mentioned the details of your "health issue" in the past but I'm thrilled you've gotten the "all clear"!

I'm so glad to hear that everyone is really enjoying the NROLW. I'm still loving it too but continue to struggle to fit in all of the workouts that I would like to. I actually quite like the prone jacknife now. It only took me a couple of tries but I don't look at myself. I might not be doing it perfectly but I'm doing something and I'm afraid if saw myself, I might never do it again! ;)
:D

midwife
03-15-2008, 10:25 PM
The daffodils are blooming here, but BOY is it windy! I ran sprint intervals yesterday and I'm sure the wind added to my workout.

Well, I have finished 3 weeks of workouts at my new gym and I really love it! I am sore most days and today my biceps died, but I can already tell a difference in strength lugging the laundry around. My clothes are falling off and the compliments are flying fast and furious. The latter might not be a good thing though. I always think it is weird for people to notice how I look. I'm strange that way.

Most of the weight training I am doing is with free weights. Today I pushed this metal sled thing that was loaded with some weights. She also has this contraption....it is a square mat thing with bungee rope-type things that click into a harness. I have been doing squat jumps with resistence provided by the bungee rope things. So many new things!

I am looking forward to having my body fat measured again. (Did I really just say that?) I think it will be lower, but even if it isn't, I know there are real changes happening in my body.

I feel like I just discovered the seven cities of gold with this weight-training thing. I feel like I am proseletyzing (sp?) and I have already suggested that other people start, especially when they comment on my appearance. No one is quite as annoying as the newly converted, eh?

sportmom
03-15-2008, 10:35 PM
Ah, gosh, you all are too good to me!

MEL - yeah, for you! That's a great accomplishment!

Well, I've got to try that jackknife on my ball tonite. I have 3 spotters to I figure they can catch me before I flow into the treadmill, right? I might have a flat six year old at the end, but all in good fun!

Question: I read you all post earlier that NROLW is really for those with not a lot of weight to lose. Was that due mostly to the calorie allotments being somewhat high, or does the workout plan lack enough to make it worthwhile for someone still heavy? I have the book, but just wanted to verify what I thought I heard before risking life with the JKnife.

Tidbit: I did 90 minutes of squats, overhead presses, glute presses, and modified lunges yesterday! I volunteered to help at dd's school with the scholastic book fair. Maybe you guys have seen this - it's where the scholastic panel truck shows up at the school with about a dozen metal trade-show type folding displays on wheel full of books and about one hundred small packing boxes full of books to stack on top of the trade show trunks. The day I volunteered for happened to be the pack up day, and I figured, sure, what's packing a few books. Well, I didn't realize we'd also be pushing the prementioned trunks to the front of the library and stacking all the heavy boxes on top of the 6' trunks to get ready for the pickup guy, AND, move all the tables and chairs back to teh original place in the library. 90 minutes of packing, overhead lifting, full body sled pushing, and dragging of chairs. Breaking a sweat, purple faced fun. Like sweat beads on my face. I thought I was going to be absolutely crippled getting out of bed this morning, but I wasn't!!!

Sorry it wasn't as exciting as maybe I made it out to be - but to me, it surely was.

sportmom
03-15-2008, 10:38 PM
Elisa, I'm not the one to give advice on men's fitness, but I will just add that my dh drives me absolutely nuts by chewing gum constantly (like 5 mins after finishing eating) bc he complains about being starving constantly as well. It's really weird. I know he's a carb junkie also, having gone thru the low-fat 90's with him, and that's not helping things.

nelie
03-16-2008, 12:14 AM
elisa - I'm not one to give advice on men's fitness either but I'd think 2000 calories sounds low for a man who is 6'4. Would he be interested in weight training? Or does he just want to do walking? You could always pick up the New Rules of Lifting (for Men) for him.

Fran - I believe I weigh more than you and I am doing NRLW :) I think the advice regarding it being for those with not a lot to lose really did have to do with food intake. All the exercises do seem doable. I find the prone jackknife difficult but not impossible. I also am getting better at it. For the jackknife, I start with on the ball with my stomach and roll out. I tried putting my feet on the ball from a plankish position and it didn't work.

I have a pic of my new home gym. It is kind of exciting and scary all at once. I have a home gym! :)

http://i40.servimg.com/u/f40/12/10/64/40/homegy10.jpg (http://www.servimg.com/image_preview.php?i=5&u=12106440)

It took the delivery guys nearly 4 hours to put it all together. After they left, I started my first workout. The bench is super heavy and moving it is a workout in itself although it has wheels on both sides. I did 1B and my legs are a bit sore today. I can't wait to try 1A tomorrow with it.

Meg
03-16-2008, 05:42 AM
Nelie, your gym looks fantastic! Are we all invited over to work out with you? :devil:

About NRLW -- I agree that the calories seem high for a someone who has a lot of weight to lose. It seems to me that the nutrition aspect is geared to a normal to slightly overweight woman with body fat to lose. Regardless, the calories are still too high for me to even maintain on, so I skipped that section as not relevant to me. But I think the workouts would work for a woman at almost any weight level. That being said, there are exercises that I couldn't do until I had dropped about half of my excess weight due to balance issues, specifically squats and lunges. Since you already have the book, Fran, maybe give the exercise part a try? :)

Mel
03-16-2008, 09:06 AM
I agree, the calories are way too high for me to maintain on also, and his age ranges for different caloric intake don't go up far enough in years. Am I supposed to sit on my ever-widening butt at this point in my life and stop moving? I know a lot of women do...but not me.

Part of the issue with the calories is that those of us who have lost a lot of weight or have spent most of our lives yo-yo dieting, or are already watching our food and working out, seem to have changed our metabolisms and just burn less doing the same things that a never obese or never dieting person burns or requires. I think Meg posted a study a while back in Maintainers in a thread call "We Really are Different" which showed that the formerly obese burned 20% less calories during exercise than the never obese. Meg- refresh my memory if I'm way off!

The exercises are great. I know that he says to not tinker with the program, but for a strong, experienced lifter they can be progressed. For a beginner, they are doable. For someone with a lot of weight to lose who still has stability problems, they are modifiable.

Just my two cents.

Mel

Meg
03-16-2008, 10:34 AM
Mel, your memory is spot on! (I'm impressed, since I can't remember where I parked my car in the mall parking lot :devil: ) Here's what I wrote:

We ARE different! Dr. Leibel said that we reduced obese may LOOK normal on the outside but our bodies are very different on the inside. He said that, in order to maintain our weight, we reduced obese need to eat 15 - 20% fewer calories per day than a comparable person – same height, weight and gender etc – who never was obese.

Why? The difference in calorie needs comes ALL from changes in NON-resting energy expenditure. The resting rate is unchanged. But our muscle efficiency increases by 15% after weight loss, so we become more efficient in using energy in exercise and everyday activities. And so we burn fewer calories per pound than either a normal weight or an obese person. It’s completely measurable in a lab – all you have to do is put the reduced obese person on a stationary bike and measure energy expenditure. We aren’t going to burn as many calories as normal people do. In practical terms, it means that when you’re at the gym on a treadmill, the person next to you is going to be burning 15-20% more calories than you do even is she is exactly the same height, weight and age (so long as she never was fat). Wonderful, eh? :p

From this thread: Some Answers About Genes, Environment, Obesity and Maintenance (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=51478)

Everything that I've read since I posted that further backs up the idea that those of us who are maintaining large weight losses are different from the obese and never-obese. I remember the chart that Dr. Leibel had on the screen at the lecture, showing that both obese and never-obese people burn 50 calories per kilogram of lean body mass. Whereas we reduced obese burn 42 calories per kilogram of lean body mass. Any wonder why calorie calculators don't work for us?

The National Weight Control Registry reports that their average maintainer eats about 1400 calories per day and does an hour of moderate intensity exercise to maintain. That's considerably fewer calories and more exercise than the typical "normal" person does, but I think it's a real world example of how our calorie needs are different than those of "normal" people.

It's an exercise in futility to those of us with a lot of weight to lose or to maintain to compare ourselves to normal people. To bring it back to NRLW, I believe that book is written for someone who has a normal metabolism and really only needs to lose some body fat and replace it with muscle.

elisa822
03-16-2008, 10:54 AM
Nelie - I love your gym!!! Wow, if we had that, I think my DH would start lifting weights. I'm trying to get him to join my gym but I don't know if that's his "thing". I'll see if he wants to read the original NROL. I wish we could have a gym like yours at home but I just don't know if it's possible. And yes, 2000 calories seemed a bit low to me too but I have a strong feeling that he might have also screwed up his metabolism over the years. I just don't know where to start really. Time for some more research, I guess.

I'm off to do some laundry and make some green cookies (for work, not for me, I hope!)

Lydia227
03-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Fran: I have to agree with Mel/Meg about the caloric intake and how it applies to those who have/had significant weight to lose. Here is how I'm working around and with their "rules."

* Caloric intake. On my lifting days I should take in 1990 calories. :yikes: Take home message, slightly increase calories on lifting days with a protein shake, 200 calories, immediately after the workout. If I find a gain or maintain at this then maybe just hardboiled egg whites and half an apple.

*Cardio. I'm all about HIIT long before I read this book so we agree there. However, last spring and summer I played with the duration of my cardio sessions and found that if I want to lose I need to be doing no less than 45 minutes five or six days a week to get me over that maintenance number. It is hard to do HIIT every day I agree and some days I just didn't have it in me to do a whole session. On those days I did the best I could and mentally checked it as a "recovery day". I still did the cardio but with less intense and frequent HIIT moments during the workout.

*Lift Heavy. YES YES YES. I figured this one out long ago on my own too. What is the point otherwise. Besides it's just plain fun to feel that resistance deep inside your muscles.

*Take a break after each four or six week period. ~sigh~ I wish I would have given myself permission to do this. I intuitively knew this but had a hard time permitting myself to do this. :dunno: I know it now, it's been validated more by injury than the book. I think because I accept this part of my life as permanent I no longer think of it as a race to the finish line of uber fitness for me. Besides, these weeks off allow me to get my house in order again as well as clear my head.

There are probably other points I could ponder if I searched through the spine broken, highlighted marks of this book. But off the top of my head these is what I've been thinking about as it applies to me. Overall I think the book is a good introduction to lifting for women. The nutrition section is okay but the caloric suggestions still make me dizzy. I think that for most people that point is going to be trial and error even if they are working with a good dietician. My advice, just try it. Honestly record your input as well as your output(exercise) and see what happens with consistency. All things can be tweaked.

Nelie: That is an awesome set up! :high: I'll be over tomorrow! Just kidding. What a nice space to have as well. Our basement is still unfinished so even if I had the equipment it would look more like an iron pit down there. But maybe someday. While I find watching others at the gym motivating there are days when I really just don't want to have to negotiate around other people either. :p Those would be good days for me to be cast down into my own torture chamber until I am fit for the public again. :devil:

Elisa: I will let DH know you have a message for him. :D I have to tell you that he and I have very different approaches to weightloss. I eat, he does not. ~sigh~ I still make sure he gets dinner every night though. He wouldn't dare not partake. ;)

Midwife with Muscles: Yeah for you! :dance: It is a little weird when people begin to notice the changes in your body. If felt a little odd about this attention as well. But after a while they get used to the healthier and fitter you. This is such and exciting phase of weight lifting and reshaping, enjoy all that you discover through the process. Caution...mirrors could become your new best friend. :rofl: Just don't make it too obvious as you walk past the mirror displays in Target. :o:D Yeah, lady, that really is you, now move your cart along. :rolleyes: :rofl:

Depalma
03-16-2008, 12:05 PM
1. Is 2000 calories a good starting point for him with no real exercise right now.
2. Should he (we for that matter) aim for a 40/30/30 split, with protein being the 40?
3. If I'm tracking food, I'm assuming that I should be able to go back and forth between calories/grams by assuming that protein & carbs are 4 calories per gram and fat is 9 calories per gram. Is this right?
4. If my math holds, he should be looking at about 200 grams of protein a day. (I doubt he's anywhere near that).

I am of the belief that one should start as high as possible and still lose weight rather than cut dramatically. This helps ensure that most of the lost weight is from fat while preserving as much muscle as possible, helps with initial compliance, keeps the body from going into starvation mode, and most importantly leaves room for further reductions if the weight loss does plateau.

Has he tracked his recent intake and the scale results of that recent intake? That would give us hints as to what his metabolism is. Of course, if he has tracked his recent food intake and has found that he has been eating an average of 3000 calories for the past two weeks and has gained 2lbs over that time, then we can guestimate 2500 calories as maintenance and plan our caloric deficit based on that. However, without that information, we'll have to wing it a bit.Absence of any indication that he has a slowed metabolism, I wouldn't start him at anything below 10 calories per pound of body weight and would actually prefer closer to 12 calories per pound to start. This is between 2500 and 3000.

I'm male myself, but nowhere near 6'4" and my metabolism is probably not optimal after a significant weight loss. Much, at the beginning probably lost too fast on too few calories. I maintain around 14 and 15 calories per pound of body weight. Since, your husband's metabolism is probably in better shape than mine, he will probably end up maintaining his new 225 lb self on between 3150 and 3350 calories. However, my personal maintenance level is factoring in exercise but is also balanced off somewhat by having a desk job.

One question is why is there no real exercise right now? Especially if hunger is a real issue with calorie restriction, why not burn off extra calories, so less of the defecit has to come from reduced intake?

Anyway, my personal opinion would be to start him between 2500 and 3000 calories. Shoot for 2lbs per week loss. If you aren't seeing that target, then you can reduce calories slowly or, preferably add exercise slowly (about 100-200 calories either way) until you do. 2000 calories would be the absolute lowest. If he doesn't see results on that intake, then he absolutely needs to move more.

The protein numbers seem good. The macros are actually what I have found works best for me, but I have also found I am pretty sensitive to carbs. If he really loves his carbs, you can start him with a "zone" type setup and do 40-30-30 with the 40 being carbs and tweak it from there if needed. This may help with compliance.

elisa822
03-16-2008, 12:59 PM
Depalma - thanks, as always, for the great information. I'm not sure how great his metabolism is either but I've never really tracked his exact eating. I plan my own intake and then (roughly) assume that he should eat approximately 1.5 times what I do! Simple and basic but it seemed like an okay place to start.

I think maybe the 40/30/30 split with 40 being the carbs could be an easier transition too. As for the "why no exercise?" I don't know. Part laziness, part lack of interest in the gym. I just don't think he's ever found anything that interests him but, if he were honest, he would admit that he hasn't tried in a while.

I think I'll pick up that book for him, maybe reading NROL will inspire him like it did me! I've told him that if he just moved more, he could eat more, but I'm not sure he believes me!!

Thanks to everyone for all of their suggestions and tips!

Depalma
03-16-2008, 01:22 PM
As for the "why no exercise?" I don't know. Part laziness, part lack of interest in the gym. I just don't think he's ever found anything that interests him but, if he were honest, he would admit that he hasn't tried in a while.

Remind him that exercise doesn't have to be done in the gym. Take a bike ride, hike in the mountains, walk on the beach. Does he have a competitive side? He's a tall guy, about some basketball. Shooting hoops could turn into challenging his buddies to some 1 on 1, which turns into some pretty active pickup games. There are plenty of activities. One is bound to interest him.

Now if laziness is the problem. Keep finding projects for him to do around the house. As the "honey do" list grows, you might hear the reply, "I can't! I have to go to the gym!"

nelie
03-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Meg - Yes, everyone is invited :)

Elisa - My husband really loves kettlebells. He really wasn't doing too much weights but once we got the kettlebells, he hardly ever misses a workout. I know I talk about them a lot but they are awesome little balls of iron :) He has noticed a vast improvement in himself from just a couple months of kettlebells rather than years of off and on regular weights. I also agree, there are lots of activities such as biking and hiking and what not that your husband may enjoy.

This morning, I did workout 1a (5th workout). I was so excited to do squats with a challenging weight. I think my bar weighs 20 lbs and I added on 80. It was a nice workout. I could've probably added on more weight but I'll save that for Thursday. I also did step ups with the barbell (40 lbs) which was also nice. I have to work on developing my barbell shelf, I think I mostly have it and the barbell does have a little cushion so it isn't bad but on the first rep, I find myself adjusting into the right spot.

baffled111
03-16-2008, 01:56 PM
Hi guys,

You've all been very chatty! I don't even know where to jump in. :)

Fran, I made the comment about the NROLW based on the nutrition section. I was/am very skeptical that you can lose more than a few pounds of bodyweight without reducing calories. Or, if you can lose real weight, that it would take forever and ever. Part of their argument is that you won't be able to do the workouts properly unless you take in plenty of calories. I don't know whether that's true. I've pretty much been maintaining since I started lifting weights, so I haven't ever tried to do it on less than 2000 calories per day. The authors disagree, but I still think that the nutritional section is really good only for women with a few pounds of body fat to shift more than for women with lots of weight to lose.

(Interestingly, in the frequent discussions about this issue on the NROLW message board, the big problem appears to be with people who identify as 'chronic under eaters'--people who always and habitually eat below their calorie levels. Those people really do need to eat more if they are going to build muscle and have the energy to lift heavy. For those of us who have never had a problem with under-eating...well...I think we can sort out the optimal calorie level on our own.)

Anyway, I'm back from my trip rounder and flabbier than ever before. I worked out yesterday and it felt FANTASTIC. I'm never going away without my sneakers again! I purposely left them behind because my knees have been taking a beating recently (*warning*: if you have any knee problems at all, do NOT do the bw matrix in Stage 3!!!!) and I wanted to rest them. But I've been craving exercise all week. Today is bright and sunny and gorgeous. If I have time, I'm thinking today might be the day for the first bike ride of the year. Hooray!!

ETA: The gym is so cool, Nelie! I'm completely envious!

elisa822
03-16-2008, 03:43 PM
Nelie - those kettlebells scare me but at least they don't take up too much room. I'll look into them. And I'm still scared to try the step ups with a barbell...I'm afraid I'll kill someone in the gym! I think I'll have to though, the dumbells are too hard on my hands as the weight goes up.

Depalma - your suggestions are great and I guess maybe laziness is the wrong word because he loves to walk for hours but has a bad knee which takes away bike riding and running. I think just picking up the pace a bit could turn the leisure walks into exercise! My gym has a special where they basically give you two months at almost no cost and then, if you choose to stay, you pay the regular price. I keep hoping he'll come and even if it's just to try a few things and see if anything "sticks". One thing at a time, I guess.

Well, my St. Patrick's Day cookies are done but I still have to get to the laundry!

Lifeguard
03-16-2008, 09:39 PM
I think the thing to remember with NRLW is that is aimed at the average woman. Interesting so many of us have noticed it lacking in specific info for individuals outside of what they considered "normal" (ie. higher weight, age, etc.). I found it kind of odd that a book written specifically for women has no reference whatsoever to pregnancy - pre or post partum.

I am excited 'cause today after a long chat (ok - & a few tears from me - darn hormones!!!) dh & I came up with a new plan for working out. Up until now we have been eaching going (or trying) on our own, but this has been working less than ideally for me thanks to the hormone induced fatigue. We're going to try to go as soon as he gets home from work each day & then eat supper when we return. I think this will keep us both more motivated.

drop20
03-16-2008, 10:05 PM
As for the "why no exercise?" I don't know. Part laziness, part lack of interest in the gym. I just don't think he's ever found anything that interests him but, if he were honest, he would admit that he hasn't tried in a while.

Hi, Elisa.

I'm with Depalma on finding the right kind of exercise. Some people just don't like going to the gym. I'm one of them. In fact, I hate going to the gym. No, wait, hate really isn't a strong enough word.

If I was ever going to join a gym, it would be something like Gym Jones (gymjones.com)

Ok, so Lydia will read this and laugh because the Gym Jones site is a bit of a manly man thing and after all I'm more of a books and coffee kind of guy. :coffee2:

Still, I like the idea of exercise as play. I was a wrestler in high school. I hated going to the gym then too, but I loved spending hours on the mat - even if it was just getting pinned all the time :dizzy:

Now I run, or at least I have been until recently due to work stress. I'm looking forward to getting back to that.

On the diet side, Lydia already noted that I just turn off the eating thing. That works for awhile. It isn't healthy though and I don't recommend it. I did it recently because I felt I was too heavy to safely start running. I've dropped 25 since xmas and now I'm ready to get back to a more balanced diet and exercise. Still, it won't be anything too scientific because I know myself and I'll never stick to it. I just try to set my life up so that output is greater than input and let the rest take care of itself.

Good luck to your hubby!

nelie
03-17-2008, 10:09 AM
LG - I think the book is supposed to be generic and meant really to work for 'any' woman but really it is more so the average woman. I could've seen myself at 300 lbs working the program but not the eating portion. I also wouldn't think an intense weight lifting program that builds up would be meant for pregnant woman and their answer would probably be 'wait until afterwards'. As for after giving birth and nursing, I'd imagine the lifting and eating program would both work.

elisa822
03-17-2008, 12:19 PM
Thanks Mr.Lydia227! ;) My husband also really cut back on his calories in order to lose weight in the past, but I'm not sure that it's done great things for his metabolism. This is reaffirmed when we go out for a big meal and he drops a couple of pounds on the scale the next day.

I am off to the gym today to do a NROLW workout today. I had slacked off a bit so I'm not sure where I should be, but it will be one of the Stage 1 workouts...although I think I like 1B better. I'll pick one and get back on track from there.

No getting on the scale today for me...it would be too sad! :(

WaterRat
03-17-2008, 02:05 PM
Morning. :wave: It was a gorgeous weekend here. Yesterday DH and I hiked our local butte (881') which was my exercise. Funnily enough, I have more DOMS in my lower thighs this morning than from squats/lunges. I suspect it's from the going down the steeper parts. All in all it felt good, but I can tell my knees won't handle too much. I know there's a really steep part to our Grand Canyon hike, and I'm hoping they're right about the rest being pretty level. :)

Elisa, I really like a couple of the exercises from 1a and 1b, so I think since this is the last week I'll be home til mid-April, that I'll do a combo and move to Stage 2 when I get home. Good luck with getting your DH on board. Mine is very active, and in fact, puts me to shame. Most of our married life he's weighed less than me, and now he's shorter too! And I'm only 5'4" :lol:

Lifeguard
03-17-2008, 04:29 PM
LG - I think the book is supposed to be generic and meant really to work for 'any' woman but really it is more so the average woman. I could've seen myself at 300 lbs working the program but not the eating portion. I also wouldn't think an intense weight lifting program that builds up would be meant for pregnant woman and their answer would probably be 'wait until afterwards'. As for after giving birth and nursing, I'd imagine the lifting and eating program would both work.

Exactly what I was thinking - I just thought it was interesting that there was not even a mention seeing how most women will have it as an issue at some point in time.

elisa822
03-17-2008, 04:50 PM
Okay, so I ate a couple of my own St. Patrick's Day cookies :o but I also did Stage 1B workout and loved it so not a horrible day.

I'm still trying to slowly get the hunger back in check that was out of control for a couple of weeks. I'm also trying to up the protein to see if it helps.

Yoga tomorrow! :carrot:

nelie
03-17-2008, 04:51 PM
elisa - I like 1B better because it doesn't have prone jackknife :) Actually, I think I like 1A better. Oh and as for the kettlebells, DH and I bought one for his father. We think he may like them. You can start out small if it is a scary idea. Our recent purchase of a 45 lb kettelbell is a bit scary but fun :)

LG - Well it is really meant as a 6 month program so maybe that is why? Who knows. I don't remember other books mentioning pregnancy/nursing although maybe those are sections that I ended up skipping or not noticing. Although obviously it being on your mind, it'd be nice to see.

Lately, I've actually been thinking of getting myself 'fixed' although I don't think I have the mental energy to tell my mother. Maybe I'll give myself a deadline of 35 or so to rethink. That is only nearly 2 years away. I know it is a fairly easy surgery. I think also once I get down to a 'normal' weight, I shouldn't have any use for the BCPs (I hope). So maybe view it as something to do when I get to goal? Who knows.

sportmom
03-17-2008, 10:59 PM
Nelie, I had the same thought at one point in my life, but never did it, thankfully. However, whatever you may decide, it is much simpler surgery for the dh, so I would subject him to it. Plus, if things change, he is easier to resurrect than you would be, and it has a higher success rate. And then there's what someone once mentioned to me - what if either one of you passes on and the other wants to remarry, and to the new spouse it is REALLY important to have children...... well, you get the drift. This is too heavy for this thread, but since you sound like I did at one point in my life, I thought I would share. I too decided to wait until I was 35 to have children, and it came at a good time when I got the other stuff like traveling and adv. degree stuff out of the way. I enjoy it more this way & don't feel the conflict of the "me" need as much I guess.

Mel
03-18-2008, 08:26 AM
:wave:

Nelie- At one point I thought that too. I'm sure you are probably sick of hearing people say you'll change your mind, but I'd keep your options open for a while longer ;)

Mel

Meg
03-18-2008, 08:33 AM
With all the talk about NROLW, I went back to the original New Rules of Lifting to check it out again. It seems to have a lot more exercises (sexist pigs :ink:) and some fun compound ones to try. I did a combination Romanian deadlift/back row yesterday and was shocked that I could only do 7 at the weight that I could usually do 12 rows or SLDLs. Today I want to try this crazy lunge/deadlift combo where you have the loaded BB between your legs in the lunge position. Heaven knows where it might end up! :lol: Does anyone else have the original NROL?

Lydia227
03-18-2008, 09:48 AM
Hi Meg: I read the original NROL while on vacation last summer but I didn't own it. I think I got it from the library. So, I can't offer much advice/opinion between the two. :chin: You know, since we seem to have pulled this book apart perhaps we have the groundwork for a lifting book to call our own? ;)

elisa822
03-18-2008, 10:13 AM
Meg - I was just thinking about buying the original NROL for my husband but wondered if there was a huge difference. My library didn't seem to have it so I might buy it and then I can eventually use it for myself. Since you've read both, do you think that NROLW is particularly geared towards women...as far as the exercises go, not the food.

I'm actually a bit sore from workout 1B from yesterday but in a good way!

Meg
03-18-2008, 11:40 AM
Elisa, the NROL has a more extensive exercise section than NROLW. I like the attitude of NROLW but in some aspects, it's the "lite" version of the original NROL. NROL says that there are six basic exercise moves: squat, lunge, deadlift, push, pull, and twist, and has exercise for each of these movements, as well as compound exercises. It has workouts geared for fat loss, hypertrophy (size), and strength. The nutrition chapter is tucked way in the back of the book and there aren't recipes, which take up a lot of room in NROLW.

I think it would be an excellent book to buy for DH and you might get some ideas reading through it too. :)

baffled111
03-18-2008, 12:20 PM
I have NROL as well as NROLW. I read it last year and started one of the fat loss phases but got distracted or something. I plan to start using it after I've finished the NROLW program. In the interim, I gave it to bf, who started it at the same time I started NROLW. They have some crazy periodization schemes in that book and I think overall they put more effort into explaining why they want you to work out the way they do.

But Meg, the Romanian/bb rows are in the woman's book too. I've been doing them as a part of stage 3B. This is one of the things I'm still a bit confused about with the the NROLW. Why would I do a combo Romanian/bb row when obviously I can dl alot more than I can row. What's the advantage of rolling the 2 exercises into one? When it's a balancey exercise like the 1 point row or 1 point Romanian it kinda makes sense because I can feel all those stabilizing muscles hard at work to keep me from falling over, but I don't get it with the romanian/row combo and one or two others.

I'm pondering going to the gym after work rather than before work today. It's a chin scratcher.

ETA: Nelie, I'm with you on the not wanting kids bit. Someone told me once (when I opined that I wanted to be fixed also) that getting a hysterectomy leads to premature aging because your body stops producing some of the good girly hormones. I've no idea whether that is actually true or whether it is something they tell young women to stop them, but there it is. Or maybe hysterectomies aren't the only option? (I have no clue at all). I think it's just easier if you have dh do it. :)

Meg
03-18-2008, 12:44 PM
Opps on missing the bent over row/SLDL combo in NROLW. I have a prepublication copy that's missing some photos (and useful things like page numbers :lol:) so when I skimmed the book, I didn't see them.

I can row and Romanian DL the same weight, so the exercise makes sense for me. I'm not sure whether I'm more typical being able to use the same weight for both exercises or you're more typical being stronger on the DLs. It's an interesting question. :)

baffled111
03-18-2008, 01:08 PM
Nope, it's a combo move. The first exercise in each of the stage 3 workouts is performed singly rather than as a part of an alternating set. In my book the dl/row combo is to be found on pg 182. (3A alternates 1 leg sldls with bb rows--perhaps that is what you're seeing.)

You can really row what you can deadlift? Perhaps I'm going too light. I did 80lb the other day and I've made a note to go heavier so perhaps I'll just leap up to 100 right away.

Today is One Arm DB Snatch day. Those are so fun!

WaterRat
03-18-2008, 02:44 PM
Baff, I think that most women go for a tubal ligation rather than the extreme of a hysterectomy. The former does not affect your hormones - and thus premature aging - at all (you even still have periods). It's usually performed as a laproscopic surgery, often day surgery.

midwife
03-18-2008, 03:05 PM
I hope no one is doing hysts for sterilization.

WaterRat is right; bilateral tubal ligations are usually done via laparotomy. There is a new method called Essure where coils are placed in the fallopian tubes and scar over, blocking the tubes. They are placed through the cervix, up through the uterus and into the tubes and it is an out patient procedure. Pretty cool.

baffled111
03-18-2008, 03:37 PM
Just goes to show what I know. :)

midwife
03-18-2008, 04:26 PM
Just goes to show what I know. :)

Actually, I've seen stranger things in women's health....

nelie
03-18-2008, 05:15 PM
re having kids - Yeah I know I may change my mind but also adopting seems like a more likely option if anything. I always seem to celebrate TOM because another month it is there. Tubal ligation is actually what I was thinking about. My goal was actually to just be a good aunt and somehow I'm even failing that :) (I don't see my 2 nephews enough)

About NROL - I told DH about NROL and that it may be something he might like although he is too in love with kettlebells at the moment. I'm wondering though would it be worth it for me after I'm done with the NRLW program?

I was especially good this morning. I set my alarm early, woke up and started talking myself out of exercising. I figured I could do it after work. I told myself nope, get your butt out of bed and just do it. So I did 1b. I do say I like 1A better. Also, it took me about an hour to do it (I'm at 3 sets now) partially because I had to feed the kitties, feed the dog, deal with the dog chewing the remote and me running up to see what was going 'crunch crunch crunch', let the kitties out after their feeding, put the clean clothes into the dryer, let the dog outside, etc. Now I know at least partially what mothers deal with when trying to exercise at home with their kids, my 'kids' keep me running around.

Lifeguard
03-18-2008, 05:26 PM
I feel good today. I actually slept through the night (no nausea overnight). I think I may have mastered the lighter eating I need to do to keep the nausea at bay. I've also noticed dairy is not my friend for this reason.

I'm looking forward to going to the gym with dh tonight when he gets home.

helenandaudreysmama
03-18-2008, 06:02 PM
Hi everyone I am new to NRLW but Really like it already.

I will take into consideration what everyone was saying about calories and work toward my calorie goal not the books.

And the prone Jackknife definaltely kick my booty...I can't do it but will let everyone know when I can.

I have only done one work out on the program and tommorow is the second, I am sore and can't wait to so this again tomorow.:carrot:

nelie
03-18-2008, 06:14 PM
helen - welcome!! I posted in response to your thread in the exercise forum, not sure if you saw it. You can modify the prone jackknife somewhat to make it a bit easier. Have you tried that?

Lydia227
03-18-2008, 09:49 PM
Hi Helen :wave: and Welcome!

I attempted 1B this morning but I must have pulled something in my quad yesterday or last friday when I was doing squats. Its like a big knot off to the outside upper part of the quads. I got in one set of lunges, and two sets of deadlifts before I choked. I even tried step ups for some kind off variation. Nada. Oh well. I'm savvy enough now to know when I need more recovery so I stopped for the day. Plenty of cardio though so I did get something done.

Tomorrow I am going to attempt a spinning class. Yep, look out Elisa. It only took me over a year but tomorrow is my big day. Someone at the gym challenged me as well. So, here I go. Wish me luck. ~sigh~ I'd feel a lot better about this if I wasn't going in with this quad thing going on. :rolleyes:

Lifeguard: How did the workout go this evening? Its so nice that your DH is able to join you. Oh the lighter eating. I pretty much grazed all day although too many starches tasted like eating pure sugar. Nothing sounded appealing. During the second and third trimester all I wanted to eat were plums and watermelon. :dunno: Fortunately, DS1 isn't purple.

4rabbit
03-19-2008, 05:41 AM
Hi LWL,

Nelie - Good for you to do the workout anyway. In re kiddies or not: I never thought I would want them, and no-one around me thought I was the type, but at 33 a child wish kind off crept on me. What was a major mover in the decision was that I tought I would be no good at the emotional side, untill a colleague at work told me biology takes care of that, and that if I found other kids obnoxious qua behaviour, I was there to see that my kids would not behave in a manner that I tought outrageous. Untill that moment it had not entered my mind that as a parent I would influence the end result. But it turned out my colleague was right ( up to some extent of course). I now have 2 great kids & I love having the experience. No doubt if I had not gotten the kids I would have had great experiences too of course. just my 2 cents.

Hi to all the others...

I now only have one more workout to go in stage 1 of NRWL. I peeked at stage 2...OOOPS! Some of those moves look really weird!!! I guess I'll start with the lighter weights first!

Have a good one,
rabbit

Mel
03-19-2008, 08:12 AM
Good morning, and afternoon to rabbit :)

I've been doing these overhead squats (the crossfit type) and am up to a whopping 75 pounds for 10. :rofl: I think it is the hardest exercise I've ever done and maybe why my back and hip hurt perpetually now :( But they are cool!

Food was dreadful last night...a good old time binge on almost healthy food :(

Here's to a better today....

Mel

elisa822
03-19-2008, 08:47 AM
Lydia - :carrot: for the spin class! You must come back and tell me what you thought! If you read this before you go, remember...you can go at your own pace no matter what everyone else is doing. Also, this is the advice someone told me. If you don't like it, try it again. You need to give it a few classes before you can really decide. I found the second class much much better than the first. If you go 5 times and still don't like it, it's not for you. I've cut out a lot of spinning to focus on other things but I still swear that it's the best cardio workout I've ever had. Good luck!

Food is better this week and I hope to go to my Power Class today...even though I'm still a little sore from Monday's NROLW workout 1B. I hope to stay on track again.

Have a great day everyone.

Lydia227
03-19-2008, 09:41 AM
Thanks Elisa. I will remember to go at my own pace. I just hope the music is decent and the guy who said he would help me shows up and that I don't steal the bike from the class bully and... and. :dizzy: Should be fun.

Mel: I don't think anyone is going to think twice about your "binge" on almost healthy food if you are doing this overhead squats. Please be careful though not to let the exercise that is meant to keep you in working order take you out due to back pain. The pot will now go back to the stove and leave the kettle alone.

Okay. I'm off. Everyone have a great morning. :coffee:

baffled111
03-19-2008, 07:16 PM
Spin class! You are bold! Was it fun?

Don't tell anyone, but I've been pondering taking a yoga class once a week. I absolutely abhor stretching and never, ever do it, but I'm feeling constantly still and sore with the weights, HIIT and running so I'm thinking it mightn't be a terrible idea, so long as I can actually sit through an entire class. ;)

Today was my run day. Snore. I think I must have done some good work with the bb rows yesterday because my shoulders are very very stiff.

Mel, you are doing fantastically with those OH squats! 75lb hardly makes you a weakling! I can't wait to start working on them once I've finished with NRLW. Fun!

Re Meg's comment in the maintainer's chat, perhaps we all need to get t-shirts like these: Weights are for Girls (http://www.cafepress.com/buy/weight+training/-/pv_design_details/pg_4/id_9346851/opt_/fpt_/c_666/) or perhaps we need to make our own. :)

nelie
03-19-2008, 07:24 PM
baffled - Yoga is pretty fun. I'll sometimes do it at home but a class is good motivation. I also like the tshirt. I'd want it in pink.

Ok I think I'm going insane. Today I am feeling a bit down because it is not my weight day. Why are weights only every other day? :) Am I the only one?

baffled111
03-19-2008, 07:33 PM
Nelie, you are not. I agree that weights should be every day. Weight day is much, much more fun than running day. Of course if we were like Mel and did a 5 day split, we could do them every day but my dog would hate me for it. Also, if I did weights every day I'd be absolutely starving every day instead of only 3 days per week.

I think yoga is something I am likely to absolutely abhor, so the class would probably be necessary. Or not. I don't have to do any exercise I don't want to do while there is so much exercise I do like. I'd just like to not be so stiff and sore once in a while. This is the great paradox of weight training. In order to become strong and functional and all the rest, you basically have to cripple yourself 3 days a week so that all this functional strength is purely theoretical outside the gym. The people I know who don't lift weights don't seem to have any trouble sitting and standing from the toilet. :lol:

Um, I think I might be procrastinating. I'm going to get back to work.

elisa822
03-19-2008, 08:52 PM
baff - I don't mean to be the "all classes are fun...woohoo" kind of girl but yoga has been a great addition to my workout. Depending on the instructor and the type of yoga, it can be an amazing workout...seriously! I do Power Yoga which just means that it's a quicker pace through the movements so, while it's not cardio, it gets the heart pumping a bit and, more importantly it's a phenomenal strength workout. I get a great stretch too but more than that, it changes each time I go. Sometimes it's more shoulders, sometimes more legs and sometimes more upper body. Try it, you might like it!

Meg
03-19-2008, 08:55 PM
I agree that you're not :crazy: Nelie! I loathe cardio but do it out of necessity. But I :love: weights and would do them every day if I could (but I limit myself to five days a week). A couple of years ago, I remember lifting 13 days in a row just because I was having so much fun. :dizzy:

Am I the only one who falls asleep at night planning the next day's workout? :lol:

Lydia227
03-19-2008, 09:42 PM
The people I know who don't lift weights don't seem to have any trouble sitting and standing from the toilet. :lol:

Funny you should mention this. :yes: I have this problem too after leg day. :D
Baff: I love stretching out after my lifting workouts. It's like the dessert of my workout. I do it immediately after my core work and spend as much time as I can morphing core work into a cooldown stretch routine. I don't take yoga as well. I just don't think I have the patience for it either but my mind is opening to new things and perhaps this may be something new for me to approach. Maybe just enough classes so that I can take it solo after my workouts. I'm not very good at playing follow the leader. :p

Nelie: I could lift six days a week too. :strong: Love it. There is nothing else like it for me. But after about four weeks of five or six days in a row I need time off. When it starts to feel like work then it's time for a rest. Actually the three day a week program outlined in the New Rules has been frustrating for me for this very reason. I'm still sticking with it and allowing myself to explore other forms of cardio in the meantime.

Speaking of which, :love: the spin class. I had nothing to fear earlier this morning. There were three gentleman in the class who were wonderfully helpful. They adjusted my bike, explained all of the moves the instructor would call out, provided tips on form, called out advice for me during the session and told me where to buy my shoes. SHOES! No one told me there were special shoes involved. :dizzy: It was great! The class was pretty small. I think there were maybe six to eight bikes and they were arranged in a circle so everyone is facing each other. Fortunately, the guy in front of me was one of the better spinners in the group so I watched his form through most of the session. Prior to the class one of the spinners explained how important it is to engage your core during the class and how it is necessary for the legs to do all the work. Then he laughed and said, "I've seen you out there on the elliptical, you have great core strength, you're going to have no trouble standing on this bike." :o ;) Anyway, twenty minutes into the class my arms were covered in three layers of sweat. By the end of class my entire shirt was drenched from neck to waist. This wasn't my typical cardio workout. After class one of the other spinners took me aside and said that today's class was particularly challenging. My comment was "really?" :^: Wow. Because, I did it the whole way through. This is a huge milestone for me. Three years ago I could barely hold my on on a treadmill at 3.5 with no incline. Today I spun my heart out and loved every minute of it. Good stuff. You know though, I expected to feel a little more soreness in my quads and hamstrings after this class. For me, this was purely cardio and yes, I did have that tension cranked up as tightly as it would go when prompted. As for the that hard narrow seat, that 's a different story. :rolleyes: Now, does anyone have any suggestions for the sore rump I have? :D

elisa822
03-19-2008, 09:59 PM
Lydia - Another spin convert....:yay: I'm soooo glad you liked it. Really? It is the ultimate cardio, isn't it? You can't imagine unless you try it. If people think it's like riding the exercise bike, forget it! Now for the questions...the shoes, yes, they have nice fancy shoes blah, blah, blah.. I know they're useful and I'm sure I would love a pair but even when I was going at least twice a week, I still never bought them. You don't need to, don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Not that I'm saying I wouldn't buy a pair, ;) just that you don't need them. As for the sore bum :o I found that went away really quickly. I don't know why but I just got used to it and I never bought the gel seat cover because I knew I would leave it behind (hee..behind, get it??)

Today, spinning, tomorrow yoga!

helenandaudreysmama
03-19-2008, 10:31 PM
Nelie Thanks so much for writing in response to the Stinky prone jackknife...no I haven't attempted it again yet...on friday I will...Today I did workout 1b and boy am I out of shape...those lunges are Crazy killers!!!!

sportmom
03-19-2008, 10:34 PM
Gosh Lydia, that was just such an inspiring story for so many reasons! Great nsv's all around - thanks for sharing.

lalala123
03-20-2008, 06:49 AM
As for the that hard narrow seat, that 's a different story. :rolleyes: Now, does anyone have any suggestions for the sore rump I have? :D

I never took a spin class, but I used to ride my bike pretty often. The seat will hurt you the first couple times, but it does go away fast-ish. I guess our rumps just get used to it. :D
I'm guessing it won't hurt you after the 3rd (or maybe 4th) spin class if you start going regularly. When I started riding my bike almost every day the soreness only lasted for about a week, I think.

HTH

Mel
03-20-2008, 08:27 AM
Lydia- gel shorts! They make all the difference in the world. I found a pair of nike bike shorts with gel padding at Marshalls for a great price- sheer luck. If you are going to dio it regularly, they make all the difference in the world.

No exercise at all yesterday, but I did cardio this morning. Today will be a long one with no gym. Back to normal :crazy: tomorrow!

Mel

Lydia227
03-20-2008, 09:42 AM
Gosh Lydia, that was just such an inspiring story for so many reasons! Great nsv's all around - thanks for sharing.

Thanks Fran. :^: It was a really cool experience to be surrounded by new people who recognized me and were supportive in helping me enjoy this new experience. Something that just doesn't happen everyday.

Gel Shorts:chin: Time to go shopping. I'll hold off on the shoes though. I think that perhaps I will fit the spinning in at least one day a week if not two. I really want to get over this break in period that LALALA and Elisa refer to in their post. And yes :yes: Elisa, count me in as a convert. Although yoga, we'll see. Might take me another year. :rofl:

Mel: No workout day for me today either. The boys are off for spring break this week. They have been great sports about going to the gym every morning this week so today is their day off. We have a playdate in the neighborhood that will probably last all afternoon. I think of these as my recovery days both physically, mentally, and socially.

I'm looking forward to tomorrow and praying that the gym will not be packed. A friend of me called the other evening and asked if I could introduce her into free weights. :D She is a member of the same gym as I so I don't feel like I have to try to teach her everything she needs to know in two hours. I've done this before. :devil: Anyway, I'll let you all know how it went.

I am also reading a book that has been great at filling in the gaps for me left by the "Eating for Life," and "New Rules of Lifting for Women." It's been out a while and written by a sports nutritionist so many of you may have already read this book, "The Good Mood Diet." Oh wait, it was referred to by Lou Schuler :doh: Anyway, I've been enjoying it along with the Chai protein drink after my morning workouts.

Have a great morning everyone. :coffee:

elisa822
03-20-2008, 11:47 AM
Although yoga, we'll see. Might take me another year.

Lydia - you think you'd trust me by now!

nelie
03-20-2008, 12:28 PM
Hey all,

I did workout 1A this morning. I do really enjoy 1A more than 1B. I love my squats. This morning I did 140 lbs + my bar so for a total of about 160. I also did 70 lbs on the step ups. Although I'm not sure how well my little step will hold up, it started creaking a bit. Uh oh :)

Although the real proud moment today was that I moved to the 2nd step on my stairs for pushups. I started at the 4th stair and that was challenging but I moved onto the 3rd stair and this morning I thought I'd try the 2nd stair even if I couldn't do it, but I could. I'm getting closer to 'real' pushups :)

WaterRat
03-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Yay, Nelie. It does feel good. I'm not down quite that far, but a good distance from where I started. :)

Lydia - I'll second Mel's advice of gel shorts. Like LaLa I bike outdoors all summer, and you do get use to it, and the shorts help. Glad you liked the spinning. I have a friend in PA who is a spinning instructor, and rather than just a cardio class, she's of the school that makes it more a whole "experience." I've never taken one of her classes, but I know that she spends hours on getting the "right" music for the way she wants the class to go.

I'm frantically busy getting ready to leave on Tues. DH is leaving tomorrow which will help since I'll have the weekend to get the taxes finished, and do my own packing. He's been very good about getting himself ready though. All I've had to do is get all my travel info to him. We'll meet up next Thurs in Boston for my FIL's funeral.

I'm ready for some cardio tonight. My legs have recovered from Sunday's hike. :)

baffled111
03-20-2008, 03:31 PM
Hi all,

I just got back from the gym where I did the last workout of stage 3. I abhor those YTWLs!!!! Brutal, brutal, brutal.

Nelie, it sounds like you are making incredible progress. Congrats on the push up improvements. (I don't mean to cast aspersions on your honor, but are you sure you're not cheating a wee bit with the step ups?)

I actually picked up the schedule of classes at the Y today to further consider the possibility of yoga. I'm just hating how inflexible I am but I'm not making any promises or commitments!

Glad to hear the spinning went well Lydia. Just don't tell DH about all the spinning guys being so solicitous. :)

nelie
03-20-2008, 04:04 PM
Nelie, it sounds like you are making incredible progress. Congrats on the push up improvements. (I don't mean to cast aspersions on your honor, but are you sure you're not cheating a wee bit with the step ups?)

Well it depends what you mean by cheating but I do touch my toe slightly at the top of the step and land fully at the bottom. Maybe I'd have to go back and read about step ups but I think that is supposed to be how they are done?

Lydia227
03-20-2008, 04:44 PM
Wow Nelie you have great lower body strength! I'm only squatting 65 pounds :o right now and this summer I think 85 or 95 was my tops. I just remember there were several SMALL plates involved. :D Good for you! :high:

Baffled: I'm kind of looking forward to Stage 3 but I'm concerned about the exercise you mentioned. I guess its the fear of injury to my shoulder. I'll try it and see how it goes when it's time.

Elisa: Yes, you are right. I should trust you by now. But if I blindly follow your lead I'll be swinging from a trapeze next. I'll look into the yoga. ;)

Pat: I think your friends class would be wonderful. Trust me, no "experience" to be had in this class. It is a small cinder block room that must have been intended for storage. The music was an 80's cd. ~sigh~ Duran Duran anyone? Hopefully it will get better or else I'm going to have to insist that they plug in my iPod. Werewolves of London might be a little more fun.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nhSc8qVMjKM Awhoooooo....Draw blood..... Okay, stop laughing. I KNOW IT'S OLD. But I still think it's a fun song. You just have to be in the right frame of mind. :devil:

baffled111
03-20-2008, 05:02 PM
Nelie, there have been several threads about this on the NROLW board (otherwise it would never have occurred to me) and I myself have found it virtually impossible not to cheat. (I was using a 40lb bb and thinking that I probably needed to go even lighter to help stop the cheating.) The cheat problem comes when you use your non-working leg to 'push off' the ground instead of leaving all the work to the working leg.

You can read the discussions here (http://forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-women/31048-step-ups-question.html#post520194)and here (http://forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-women/31048-step-ups-question.html#post520194).

Lydia, take up trapeze flying!! Fun!

nelie
03-20-2008, 05:16 PM
baffled - Thanks! I actually found myself cheating when I went to a higher step but it was REALLY obvious that I was cheating. I'll try to see if I am and don't realize it.

Lydia - Carrying around over 300 lbs (and being fairly active at that weight) for many years has given me pretty good lower body strength.

WaterRat
03-20-2008, 06:43 PM
Cheating is the only way I can do step-ups for my right leg - my knee simply will not hold my weight when it's out in front of my body. Left leg does pretty well, or at least better. :lol: I had the same problem hiking on Sunday. I simply cannot lift my bodyweight up a step without something aiding it (Sunday I used DH or a nearby tree, or simply found a less steep place). I do regular up, up, down, down step aerobics movements as a substitute in NROLW.

sportmom
03-20-2008, 06:45 PM
OK, I tried to read NROLW last nite. Granted, it was late, but I was trying to flip ahead and see where all this 1a 1b business is on the workouts. I found it, but didn't get it. It was like:

1a, do workouts:
etc

Where are the workouts? I totally didn't understand how to read the book! What am I missing? (besides my brain) Does anyone get what i mean, about not getting it?

baffled111
03-20-2008, 06:57 PM
I think you're not getting it. Have another look. There are 7 stages and all stages (except the 7th) have 2 alternating workouts (A & B), each of which must be performed a certain number of times.

So you would do Stage IA1, Stage IB1, Stage IA2 (ie, IA for the 2nd time), Stage IB2, and so on until you had done both 8 times each. Then you do the same thing with stage 2. I don't have my book with me so I can't give you the actual page numbers.

(You're not the only person who has found the way they've presented the workouts to be confusing. Fear not.)

nelie
03-20-2008, 07:47 PM
Fran, baffled explained it but let us know if you are still confused!

Basically you alternate between 1A and 1B up to the last workout (is it #8) so you do 1A 8 times with different variation of reps and sets and you do 1B 8 times with different variation of reps and sets.

Baffled - I checked when I got home. I don't think I'm cheating but my step also isn't very high due to my knee issues. If I go to the highest level (I have short legs so my knee is at a slightly up angle), then I have to cheat just at my body weight. I'm thinking of buying a wood platform or something to help me raise my step up a little and increase the intensity.

Lifeguard
03-20-2008, 08:09 PM
Stupid gym is closed for today, tomorrow & the weekend! Apparently Easter is a really big deal down here. ARGGH!!!!

I am thinking I am going to do a yoga class a couple days a week - I usually find yoga kind of boring & a tad frustrating (I'm really not very flexible). But it will good for labour & delivery so I am going to do it.

elisa822
03-20-2008, 08:40 PM
I didn't make it to the gym today :( and now it's a long weekend so that is scary for me food-wise.

As for spinning, I think the classes I take are more like the ones Pat described. They really are an experience. The lights are low and the music is mixed but quite loud and each class can simulate a different ride. Sometimes it's hillier, sometimes there's more "turns" and bends but it's always a great workout. There is not even the possibility of chosing your own music, although I like your choice Lydia!

C'mon everybody...hop on the yoga train! It's such a good balance to the weight training with the stretching aspect. It's also amazing for balance and, like I've said, my Power Yoga is big on strengthening as well.

The only reasons I don't always like is because some of the moves really bother my shoulder. Speaking of which, I finally called to make an appointment with the physical therapist and had to wait three weeks to get the one my doctor recommended. Oh well. I know I should be holding back on certain things until I go but so far I'm just trying to be very careful.

Fran - yes the NROLW workouts confused everyone. I peeked at their message boards and there was more than person who thought you had to go through the whole workout 8 times at once! I think it's been cleared up pretty well here. Go back to the book and I think it might make more sense now.

baffled111
03-20-2008, 11:01 PM
Fran - yes the NROLW workouts confused everyone. I peeked at their message boards and there was more than person who thought you had to go through the whole workout 8 times at once! I think it's been cleared up pretty well here. Go back to the book and I think it might make more sense now. :D

I remember that post! The poor woman posted that she had done the first 'workout' (ie, Stage 1 Workout A x 8!!!) and was completely exhausted and didn't know how she was going to be able to find that much time 3 days per week to stick with it. Poor thing!

C'mon everybody...hop on the yoga train! It's such a good balance to the weight training with the stretching aspect. It's also amazing for balance and, like I've said, my Power Yoga is big on strengthening as well.

This is what I'm wondering about. I abhor stretching, so I like the idea of a more intense yoga that would trick me into thinking that I'm NOT spending an hour stretching. But won't that Power Yoga mess with my recovery from my real workouts?

Lydia227
03-20-2008, 11:03 PM
Okay, I checked the yoga schedule. It's only offered twice a week, in the evenings at 6:00pm. Not exactly convenient but maybe I could try a few classes to learn some new moves. :chin: There is a nice yoga studio closer to my home that I may consider doing. 'Course I've been debating this since last summer. I know, just do it.

LG: I think you are very wise to explore yoga right now too. It may even be something you continue long after your pregnancy because it was established during such a special time in your life. Sorry your gym was closed for the whole weekend.

Baff: I read that womans post too. OMG. She really was lost. That would have wiped me out too and I've been known to clock in some pretty long workouts when DH has the boys. :faint:

sportmom
03-20-2008, 11:27 PM
Is this the forum you guys are talking about? Sorry, I'm on another computer tonite and can't find the original post.
http://forums.jpfitness.com/new-rules-lifting-women/

hate to say i still didn't get it from reading the forum, but maybe i just need to sit down with it again instead of doing it in quick chunks. But from what I read, even Cosgrove was apologizing for what has been a major confusion to many - he said he had no idea it would throw so many for a HUH? loop.

Depalma
03-21-2008, 12:28 AM
But won't that Power Yoga mess with my recovery from my real workouts?

Not that you will ever catch me in a Yoga class, but it is much more likely to aid your recovery than hinder it.

4rabbit
03-21-2008, 04:50 AM
Hi LWL,

Sportsmom : I checked my book & the first 2 x 8 workouts are on pg 140 and 141. You alternate 1 A and 1B.
You have to read the table so that workout 1A1 ( 1st workout 1A) is 2 sets 15 reps (2x15) squats, then alternate 2x 15 pushups with 2x15 seated rows, the alternate 2x15 stepups with 2x8 prone jackknifes.
Another example: wotkout 1B5 would be:
3 x 10 deadlift, alternate 3x10dumbell shoulder press with 3x10 wide grp lat pulldown, alternate 3 sets 10 reps lunge with 3 x 12 swiss ballcrunch.

I usually write this out befor in my notebook so I do not have to think about it when I zonk out iof bed n the morning to work out.

Re yoga: Lydia, You can also do yoga at home with the kids & a DVD! I started out with yoga for dummies which shows the stretches, and after that you can also do them on your own. There is even a yoga training thing on the nintendo DS lite wich guides you through a workout. I now fo a yoga class and it really really makes a difference for my hamstrings, and my back & shoulders. Only today I am playing hooke from yoga class...to much to do for the easter weekend.

BTW, great successes in the last days: I went to Ikea and managed to get the couch that I bought ( 100 pounds & a lot bigger than I am ) out of my car and into my house on my own.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Mel
03-21-2008, 08:30 AM
But won't that Power Yoga mess with my recovery from my real workouts?

You should try it once or watch a class. I've done several very different versions of power yoga and it really depends on the instructor's interpretation of what power yoga really is. I ended up in one class which was really more like body pump, but done with dumbbells while contorted into yoga positions, then LOTS of active yoga poses. I loathed it. Other instructors have told me that is NOT power yoga, but a bad instructor's interpretation. The people taking the class loved it- it combined yoga and weight lifting. For me, it wasn't either, just gruesomely long.

Cardio done- back to the gym today.

Mel

sportmom
03-21-2008, 10:10 AM
I get it now! I get it now! Wow, it's like understanding some secret language!! I could never figure out how you could do workout 2b, etc.

I had to read alternating workouts on page 127. Just proof that you cannot skip around in this book, or you end up like the lady who did the whole Workout A in one day!!

nelie
03-21-2008, 10:25 AM
fran,

The funny thing is that when I first bought the book, I started flipping through various pages of the book and I kind of thought it was stupid. I mean I totally didn't get it. It wasn't until I started reading from page 1 that I liked the book.

elisa822
03-21-2008, 11:00 AM
I'm loving the yoga talk!

baff - I wonder about it hindering with my recovery too but I haven't had a problem doing the yoga on an alternate day. I was sore Tuesday from my lifting on Monday but I decided to go for it and I felt much better after. I think a lot of the confusion about yoga has to do with the fact that there are soooo many different types, with different names and still likely different depending on who's instructing the class.

I like the idea of peeking in and watching a bit to see. Otherwise, try it once. If you don't like it, don't go back. The first time I tried the Power Yoga, I found it very very difficult. Absolutely not a relaxing hour. It got better and and my gym Power Yoga is definitely yoga. All of the traditional poses, lights are low, music is relaxing but the pace is quicker than traditional yoga (I think). So you don't hold the poses quite as long. And there's so much upper body work through the series of poses, that I believe it has increased my strength.

If it's offered at your gym and doesn't cost anything, it might be worth checking out. The problem for me has been that as I find new things that I enjoy (which keeps the boredom at bay), I find there's not enough days in the week!

I think you can find some videos on You Tube if you look for Power Yoga. Here's one but you can skip the first half, he doesn't get into the actual yoga until about 3:40 or so. Power Yoga (http://youtube.com/watch?v=S0bHuWepujI)

Fran - glad you finally figured it out! You got exactly what I was going to say, which is that if you read the book from page 1, it seems to make more sense. Skipping around is not possible until you get it! Now I just keep (since I go to the gym from there) and go over the workout in my head before I walk out the door! Crazy how many people have been confused by this. What did people do before message boards?

nelie
03-21-2008, 11:28 AM
My shoulders are a bit sore today and I think it is from doing the squats and putting the weight on my shoulders and upper back. I think I need to get a cushion. My bar has a small cushion right at the neck area.

Lifeguard
03-21-2008, 03:36 PM
I would think yoga would be great for recovery between workouts. I am also hoping that doing yoga while I am pregnant & therefore everything is softer & more pliable that I may actually have half a chance of gaining some flexibility! I have NEVER been very flexible.

jamsk8r
03-21-2008, 03:38 PM
Hi all. Can I jump in? I finally got some dumbbell bars and an exercise ball yesterday (already had the weights), so I can pretty much do the Stage 1 workouts in NROLW. Still need a barbell, but in the meantime, I'll sub with dumbbell exercises.

I tried the "1B" workout last night, for the first time. I woke up feeling like a truck had run over me in the night, so I guess I did okay?

The lunges really showed the imbalance in my legs from skating around a small rink all these years.. definitely a lot easier to pull off with my left leg working, while my right knee was crunching and my balance was bad on that leg. Still, I didn't expect to be able to do them at all, to tell the truth, so I was still full of myself.. just for being able to get back up again, lol!

The swiss ball crunches didn't seem to be doing anything. I'll keep trying, but I've been doing crunches for a while on my own, so maybe I just need to try a different version to "feel" it?

Just out of curiosity, I HAD to try that Prone Jackknife. Okay, I'm convinced they put that in just to see how many idiots they could con into sticking their butts in the air while balancing on a ball. (ooh, pickme!) Let me just say, you'd never catch me doing that move in a gym!

nelie
03-21-2008, 03:56 PM
Ok I have a question, are the prone jackknifes supposed to be like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIx4JGxwL8c

Because honestly, My prone jackknife is nothing like that.

Maybe I have to read more of the NROL forums.

elisa822
03-21-2008, 04:58 PM
Nelie - I was wondering the same thing. One of my instructors does the jacknife, like the video you linked to, except I think with even better form ;). I can't do that right now. When I went back to the book (which I don't have with me) I thought the picture was more like this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2y03dkaK1O0&feature=related) or this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0O6Lk0LZ764&feature=related). The first video calls it a jackknife and the second calls it a knee tuck.

You know what I think? They're both good. I do what is more like the knee tuck and it is still hard to keep your core completely stabilized and I feel it! I'm sticking with it for now!

sportmom
03-21-2008, 05:19 PM
I tried the "1B" workout last night, for the first time. I woke up feeling like a truck had run over me in the night, so I guess I did okay?

Here's a good example! I would read things like this and start looking in the book for workout 1b. So what you really mean by this is that you did the stage 1 workout, but version b for exercise 1 this time, right? lol (Still not sure!)

My prone jackknife? Please - mine is more like a sideways rolypoly - I never even get up on top of the thing! I might have to try to doing it up against a wall so that at least the possibilities are only rolling off to one side. I might be able to control that.

But hey=== I CAN do the squat to stand quite easily! How exciting is that?

Mel
03-21-2008, 05:55 PM
That's how I teach the prone jackknife (the youtube version). For those with more experience, keep only toes on the ball throughout the exercise.

Did back today and seem to be OK. My deadlifts were lighter than usual, but when I added more weight I felt my hip ligament pull and dumped the bar :o Very noisy :p

Mel

elisa822
03-21-2008, 05:57 PM
Here's a good example! I would read things like this and start looking in the book for workout 1b. So what you really mean by this is that you did the stage 1 workout, but version b for exercise 1 this time, right? lol (Still not sure!)

Yes! I think you've got it!

Lydia227
03-21-2008, 06:39 PM
Okay, I'm convinced they put that in just to see how many idiots they could con into sticking their butts in the air while balancing on a ball. (ooh, pickme!) Let me just say, you'd never catch me doing that move in a gym! :rofl: This is exactly what I was thinking. But it didn't stop me. Yep, like Depalma said, you have to check your ego at the door when you are working out. Although I don't think this is what he had in mind. :D But if I catch any of the young whippersnappers in the gym who are home from spring break laughing at my jackknife behind I'm done.

baffled111
03-21-2008, 07:09 PM

Just to be 10000% clear about this, 1B is the workout on page 141. So doing 1B means doing deadlifts, db shoulder presses, lat pulldowns, lunges and swiss ball crunches. If you were doing 1B4, you'd be doing all those things in 2x12. If you were doing 1B7, you'd be doing 3x8 of all those exercises. 2A is the entire series of exercises listed on p. 143 (front squat push press, step ups, db 1 pt rows, lunges, pushups, planks & wood chops). 2B is the lineup on p. 144 and so on. Clear?

:rofl: This is exactly what I was thinking. But it didn't stop me. Yep, like Depalma said, you have to check your ego at the door when you are working out. Although I don't think this is what he had in mind. :D But if I catch any of the young whippersnappers in the gym who are home from spring break laughing at my jackknife behind I'm done.

I do them at the gym, in public, *** in the air and all. But I don't go all the way onto my feet as Natalia does in the video. I just do the version in the book. I'm just not strong or co-ordinated enough for the full version. :) Let them laugh.

nelie
03-21-2008, 07:14 PM
I'm not on my toes and my butt does go in the air somewhat but nothing like the video. Oh and I realized I was doing the wrong kind of deadlift... uhh yeah I guess I can't read :)

jamsk8r
03-21-2008, 09:09 PM
Sportmom, Baffled got it right.

Lydia, if you catch them laughing, just say, "think you can do it better?" That'll teach'em!

sportmom
03-21-2008, 10:17 PM
So doing 1B means doing deadlifts, db shoulder presses, lat pulldowns, lunges and swiss ball crunches. If you were doing 1B4, you'd be doing all those things in 2x12. If you were doing 1B7, you'd be doing 3x8 of all those exercises. 2A is the entire series of exercises listed on p. 143 (front squat push press, step ups, db 1 pt rows, lunges, pushups, planks & wood chops). 2B is the lineup on p. 144 and so on. Clear?

:faint:

So what do you interpret p142, the special workout to mean? Is this done at the end of workout 8 as you are ready to move to stage 2? And if I'm reading it right, it will take you about 3-4 wks to get thru each stage, is that right? 3 weeks if you are working out 3x/wk and 4 weeks if you are working out 2x/wk?

I wonder if NROLM was as confusing with these cryptic routines!! I got much more appreciation for it when i read it's the result of the real lab testing they did in their gym.

Nelie, as you search for a comfortable bar for your barbells, just don't do what I did and get an ez-curl bar by mistake, dh thought it was a neck cutout!! And no, it didn't feel good on the neck, even after he put a swimming noodle in it. Felt like a vice grip to be honest.

Lydia227
03-21-2008, 10:40 PM
Oh Geez! I thought I understood this. :dizzy: Now I think that I'm missing something and going to re-read that part of the book. It's okay. I'll figure it out. If all else fails I won't stress about it. I've already got a pretty good program going for myself and will use the exercises as ideas to switch things around. Nothing is set in stone when it comes to lifting for me. Except good form of course.:D

sportmom
03-21-2008, 11:47 PM
Yeah, I think I'll be doing that a few times too Lydia. It just doesn't come naturally for some reason. I thought BFL was complex, but that made more sense. This is so matrixed I think.

I will take up with the side who views this as being simpler than what some of us are doing now and not feeling like enough. I currently do 2 exercises for each body part and do decreasing reps of increasing weight (12/8#; 10/10#; 8/12#) like BFL calls for, so yes, this would get me in and out of the workout room sooner.

I started my best effort at serious HIIT today. I am doing treadmill sprints. I walk for 1/2 hr and for one minute out of every 5, I break into a run at a speed of 5. So I get 5, 1-min sprints in every day, and 25 mins of brisk walking. But it's not steady-state and that's what counts, right? I"m hoping to take it up by :30 sec increments each week and if I don't have to repeat weeks or lose ground, I should be able to run 20 mins in -what?- eww, just did the math......10 months? Hmm, that doesn't sound too good! lol Maybe I can move up in full minute increments :idea: :chin: I know about the c25k program, but last year when i tried that I pooped out after week 3 and hit a wall (prob bc I was trying to run too fast for myself then, at 6) so I'm trying my own thing this go around and realize I may have some weeks w/o movement.

WaterRat
03-22-2008, 02:41 AM
Hi. :wave: I'm in supercrazy "OMG I'm going on vacation and I'm sooo not ready" mode here. DH left today, and I don't leave til Tues morning. I should be able to get it all done.....

Anyway, Fran, I read p 142 as being 2 "how much have I improved" workouts (one for the A exercise routine, one for the B) He says use the same weights as your first workout, but as many reps as you can. Then you rest for a week (i.e. don't lift) and then move on to Stage 2. Also on p 144-45 there are examples of intervals. I use the C25K podcasts to do my intervals, but on the elliptical.

And after all the discussion again about the prone jacknife, I'm home with my book, and it definitely is more of a tuck than the first video. I did notice in the video though that I should be using a smaller ball. My gym has 3 sizes, and I use the middle one. I'm going to try the smaller one next time, though really I've finished Stage 1, and just holding off starting Stage 2 til I get back.

Lydia227
03-22-2008, 09:01 AM
Don't stress Pat. You'll get everything that is necessary done. All the rest can wait. Have a safe trip.

baffled111
03-22-2008, 12:26 PM
It's not that complicated. Pat is right about the AMRAP workouts on 142.

Sportmom, it may be that you only do the workouts 3x a week but because most of the exercises are full body or compound, I find myself stiff and sore almost all the time. If you do HIIT or other cardio on the non-lifting days I'm pretty sure that you'll find yourself physically taxed.

Today is a lifting day for me. I'm starting Stage 4 today, which is the same as stage 2. This means front squat push presses and 1pt DB rows. Eeek. I'm going to try to the push presses with the bb instead of dbs this time. Everyone please keep your fingers crossed for my teeth. :)

Tuesday is heaps of time Pat. Relax!

nelie
03-22-2008, 12:34 PM
I did 1B(#6) this morning. I really like my notebook and making notes. Last time (4 days ago), I marked a weight as hard for the lat pulldown. This morning, that was my starting weight and I had to up it 5 lbs.

I had also been doing swiss ball crunches with a kettlebell behind my head but I had read about trying to do them slow and very deliberately without any weight. They were a bit challenging that way although I still like my kettlebell behind my head :)

Pat, have fun on your trip! You got plenty of time to get ready.

Depalma
03-22-2008, 01:50 PM
Ok I have a question, are the prone jackknifes supposed to be like this?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PIx4JGxwL8c

Because honestly, My prone jackknife is nothing like that.

Maybe I have to read more of the NROL forums.

That's how I teach the prone jackknife (the youtube version). For those with more experience, keep only toes on the ball throughout the exercise.

I had always called that video version a pike and what I called jackknifes were similar to the picture in the book, but knowing that Mel couldn't be wrong, I found this. As Mel eluded to, the video version is a more advanced version, a progression of what is in the book and of what I had always considered to be a jacknife.

Here is a good video showing the progression:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m844j8L5jIE

Mel
03-22-2008, 03:17 PM
:rofl:knowing that Mel couldn't be wrong:rofl:

I suspect your tongue was planted firmly in your cheek on that one!

I did a bunch of variations of the prone jackknife this morning. One legged is :devil::devil::devil::devil: Two legged, but hands on the downside of the soft-side of a bosu is also exciting. I tried two balls :lol: If I stabilized the leg one against a platform so it cold only roll forward, it was doable. I had an audience of mostly other trainers (among whom I'm known as the klutz who will try anything) laughing themselves silly. However, no one else tried it except the 25 yr old who is competing it fitness comps. She managed to smile while doing it.

Mel

baffled111
03-22-2008, 06:59 PM
That's helpful, Depalma. I had one of the pilates/yoga instructors at the gym show me how to do the jackknives and she instantly did the pike version. She pointed out that the issue is usually one of flexibility as much as anything. I just can't get the ball as close to my hands as Natalia does in her video (though I could probably better approximate the guy in Depalma's video--his feet don't get as close to his hands).

I did the Front Squat Push Press with a bb rather than a db today for the first time. It hurt one of my elbows quite alot. Anyone know what that's about? I'm going to keep on doing it with the bb anyway, but it was pretty annoying.

Depalma
03-22-2008, 08:50 PM
I did the Front Squat Push Press with a bb rather than a db today for the first time. It hurt one of my elbows quite alot. Anyone know what that's about? I'm going to keep on doing it with the bb anyway, but it was pretty annoying.

What type of grip are you using?
Are you able to keep your elbows up level and pointed straight out?

It is quite possibly a wrist flexibility issue that is causing you to try to get extra range of motion from the next joint down, the elbow.

In any case, I would stop what you are doing now. Joint pain is to be taken seriously.

If it is a wrist flexibility issue, then try to improve this before trying the BB front squats/press again.

I would highly suggest sticking with dumbells for this hybrid movement until you figure out/solve what is causing the elbow pain.

If you want to work on BB front squats in the meantime, you can try using either a bodybuilder type, cross-arm grip or use lifting straps. See if either of them will let you do front squats without elbow pain. Unfortunately, neither one provides for a seemless transition into a push press, so they are not good solutions for the currently programmed movement.

I myself prefer using the straps to a cross arm grip. They also allow you to go heavier than using a clean grip as well. I'll see if I can find a video of someone front squatting with straps.

here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQb0OZCtqBk

sportmom
03-22-2008, 10:00 PM
While I was out there watching videos I watched some from the Ford Fitness models tv. That was interesting. There's one I tried which are girly pushups on the ball, unfortunately, having alot of body weight and limited ub strength, once I bent my elbows going down, it was pretty much a faceplant and the only way I could get back up was to roll off! Of course, it's also hard to be strong when you are dying laughing, but it's a goal, right?

Hey, picked up the NROLM for the dh today! :devil:

helenandaudreysmama
03-22-2008, 11:03 PM
OK, Ladies...I did the workout 1A(2) today and hummmm...I at least got onto the ball for the prone jackknifes...

Is that youtube video WOW is all I can say. I found a trick thanks to Nelie. I stood behind the ball and laid on it. Than rolled myself forward until my thighs were on the ball. They were more like pelvic tilts but hey I got my butt on the stinkin ball and that is more than I was at on monday...:carrot:

sportmom
03-23-2008, 02:36 AM
Oh yeah, i learned that same trick from the ford model video. of course, my dd can do it no problem, even up on her toes and piked. sigh So i have my own demonstrator in the house. Mel, I'm sending her to live with you!

lalala123
03-23-2008, 07:02 AM
:lol: I'm experimenting with Krista's workout 2 (http://www.stumptuous.com/cms/displayarticle.php?aid=134), but all this talk about the prone jackknife is making me really curious so I think I'll try those today instead of the ab crunches (day 2). :rofl:

I did the workout for lower body yesterday and I'm disappointed that only the back of my legs hurt, and even that not that much. So I've been complaining about that - I bet everyone (friends) thinks I'm crazy for wanting the "ouch it hurts when I move!" soreness. :p
(Please tell me I'm not alone in this. :lol: I just feel that if my muscles aren't sore, I could have worked harder!)

I'm also somewhat sore in my lower back, but I'm not sure if that's ok or bad. I felt it in some exercise (I think it was the deadlift), even though I tried to be careful about form, so now I don't know if my lower back is just weak, or if I was doing something wrong.

Oh, and I wanted to comment on the "you have to leave your pride outside when you go to the gym" thing - it's so true, and I kept on telling myself that.
My gym is for women only, and most usually just do a bunch of cardio and a then go through some of the machines.
We do have weights - dumbbells and a barbell -, but the weights area is small and right in front of the cardio machines, so I always feel like everyone is watching me. :o Last time I dragged the barbell (do to OH squats) to the empty aerobics room, but yesterday I wanted to use different weight plates on the BB so I stayed there (hiding away isn't a good solution, anyway) and made "no pride in the gym" my mantra. :lol:

I'm thinking about changing gym, but I'm not sure which is worse: to work out in front of a bunch of girls who probably think that weightlifting will make you look like a bodybuilder, or to go to a gym that has a focus on bodybuilding (among other things, there's such a gym close-ish to my house and I'm considering it, but I've never been there) so it will be full of guys who lift very heavy and may also laugh at me as I try to figure out how to do things with tiny weights. :dizzy:

Ok, this post somehow became much longer than I wanted it to. :o Sorry.
I'm kind of excited that I chose a "program" to work at and that I did get over feeling ridiculous and did work with the weights. :D

Lydia227
03-23-2008, 11:07 AM
Hi Lalala: It took a while for me to feel comfortable in the free weights area of the gym too. I like to refer to it as the "sandbox." My gym is a family Y. I could be in a mix of cardio only people somedays or I'm surrounded by high school and college youths who surely have been lifting since they were ten. :rofl:

The culture of the gym can influence how we may or may not progress in our lifting. It is difficult to be the only loose cannon on deck who is willing to implement new exercises on our own. We look a little unconventional and stand out. But in doing this we invite others to break out of the mold and join us. You just may find that in the end you can create a new culture in any gym you choose to workout in. Besides, we know what your trying to do over there. :p Maybe they do too but they are just too worried to move forward. :^:

lalala123
03-23-2008, 11:15 AM
That would be funny, I'd then be "The Bringer of the Weightlifting Goodness" of my gym - sounds like a kind of hero, huh? :rofl:

Depalma
03-23-2008, 12:25 PM
Hi Lalala: It took a while for me to feel comfortable in the free weights area of the gym too. I like to refer to it as the "sandbox." My gym is a family Y.

I like our local Y. I don't think 99% of the members even know there is a free-weights area. Upstairs, they have the fitness center area with all the cardio equipment and the shiny, new Life-Fitness circuit machines they just replaced a few months ago. (They did get a really great cable unit for up there though which is great).

Downstairs in the basement is the grungy old weight room. I don't think they've spent money there since the 1960's. Some rusty old benches, a squat rack, a heavy old leg sled, a cable crossover with some of the plates cracked, and a handful of rusty barbells and a bunch of rusty old plates. Usually, if I work out at the Y, I have the room to myself or one or two people. In the midafternoon, the room does fill up with the high school crowd. Other than that, it's ALL MINE! It is basically a desert of rusting iron which remains me of an Eric Cressey quote, "Rust on a nail brings Tetanus. Rust on a barbell builds character."

sportsfreak
03-23-2008, 03:04 PM
hey everyone

Well i just got my gym membership yesterday:carrot:. Now i can join all of you in the nrolw workouts. On monday i have my orientation and fitness evaluation. Apparently there going to be renovating this May for a pool and basketball court. Im soo excited i can finally do the weights i had wanted to. And the best thing is that this gym is a 5 min walk from my school. Its in the plaza right beside it. I have 10 days to try it out and figure out if this is for me or not, if i dont like it i can get a full refund.

Well i started on my health journey in october. I did lose 20 pounds since then and i am now content. However i had to change the eating habits of my entire family- being a kid its preety tough. However, my mom began to see the results of my food preety fast. Now without even going to the gym, just by changing the food she eats, she lost 20 pounds. She does have long ways to go but now that i have a membership, i will help her in the gym. She had a personal trainer and he did not provde her with the results i did. So now my mom knows she has no way out ;).

baffled111
03-23-2008, 05:53 PM
That's great Sportsfreak! I hope you love the gym! How very cool that you were able to reform the eating habits of your whole family. That's a really great achievement. Now you just have to persuade them to eat more protein so that you can build yourself some nice strong muscles. :)

Lydia227
03-23-2008, 05:54 PM
Depalma: 1960's, and cracked plates :yikes: Our Y is relatively new and the director takes good care of the equipment. :chin:There is something to be said for working out on a lower level all by yourself.

Our Y is an open floor plan. The cardio and weightlifters mingle quite a bit. It has its advantages. While doing my cardio for warmup I know exactly when my favorite bench is available. :s:

SportsFreak: Congratulations on your loss and also :hug: for helping Mom get in on the program as well. You both are very lucky to have one another to encourage. I keep telling my mom to come join me but she just isn't ready yet. I'm not exactly a "someday" kind of person but in this case I can't push her too quickly. Enjoy your new membership too!

Mel
03-24-2008, 08:21 AM
Happy Monday :sunny: All the peeps and bunnies gone?

Congratulations, sportsfreak! Have fun at the gym and kudos to you for helping your mom and the rest of your family.

Today is "back on trak" Monday for me. I've been like a locust for the last week :( Workouts are great.....BUT....

Mel

Lydia227
03-24-2008, 01:23 PM
No peeps here but the Dove chocolate bunnies are still intact. I've learned my lesson from Halloween. I waited until the day before to purchase the candy and only selected things that were single serving size. No half full bags of candy for Mom and Dad to scarf down on Saturday night. I did take home all of the remaining colored eggs from my mom's gathering. Hey, I can use the protein. And they look nice too with me lunch.

Elisa: Day two of the spinning class. I attempted to lift after the 50 minute class and totally hit the wall. I did about a half hour of pathetic lifts and then gave up. I think the spinning class will occupy maybe just one day of my schedule until this summer. At that time I will be able to get the lifting in an hour before the spinning class. Oh, the good news is that my bottom doesn't feel as bruised. Progress or just a different instructor. :dunno:

Hope everyone had a nice weekend. Enjoy your trip Pat as much as possible. :wave:

elisa822
03-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Lydia - thanks for the spin update! :) I actually haven't gone in a while...I've been trying other things but at most now I'll do one class a week. There's too much to try and when I go to spinning, I can't do anything at the same time. For a while I was doing a spin class at lunch and a Power Class after work which was fine, except the I would tire on the squats quicker...no big surprise there!

I tried my new HIIT program today. I ran at between 7.0 and 7.5 mph for 45 seconds and then walked at 3.5 for one minute. According to the machine, my HR was 168 after the sprint and would go down to 148 within the minute walking. I don't know if that's good but it felt pretty good. I followed it with most of workout 1A (minus the squats) from NROLW. I know we've discussed whether you should do the cardio first but I've got to do what works at the gym. The treadmills are full by noon so I go early to do the cardio first. Gotta work around the situation!

I'm trying to track my food on Fitday for the first time to see where I'm at with the calories and protein/carb/fat ratio. I've always just counted in my head but not paid attention to the breakdown so we'll see how it goes.

midwife
03-24-2008, 05:19 PM
Hi guys! I've been reading, reading, reading and I am so impressed with everyone's programs. I think I will get one of those balls and try those pike things.

I just wanted to update everyone. I have been going to the personal trainer since 2/25 and she took my stats today (9 point calipers).

I have lost 7 pounds (per my scale and her scale), but even more exciting:

body fat percentage then: 26%
body fat percentage now: 21.6%
lean mass then: 135.5
lean mass now: 137.9

Now I am not convinced calipers are 100% accurate or anything, but the TREND has me thrilled to pieces.

Good gravy, I might someday actually be BELOW 20% body fat? And that day might actually be kind of soon?

I've been having 3 sessions a week, sticking to my nutrition plan pretty closely, and doing HIIT 3 times a week.

Yeah, I like this stuff!!!

sportsfreak
03-24-2008, 06:17 PM
well i went for my orientation session today and i waited 30 min b4 i told them i had to leave. Not too impressed with the service. If it continues i may be wanting a refund.

Midwife- congrats on ur progress. You'll be below the 20% badfat line in no time the way ur going.

sportmom
03-24-2008, 07:45 PM
5% points on body fat is AWESOME progress in one month!!! Congrats Midwife!

Mel
03-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Midwife- that's wonderful progress! Are you enjoying the workouts?

Lydia- I occasionally lifted before spinning, but never after! Spinning drains every bit of glycogen and then some! It is a fun way to get the cardio in, tho. I miss it :dizzy:

Today's workout included a wall crawl (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K4ITcMuHlac) sequence that I just learned. The shoulder press is HARD. We also did some figure 8 crawls (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P8xx3PIN9-Q) like these using kettlebells like in the video. I've also done them with dumbbells. Start out with about 5 pounders...these are tough!

Mel

nelie
03-24-2008, 09:17 PM
Oh my god Mel, that is insane.

midwife - congrats on the progress, that is awesome :)

As for me, ow ow ow is the word. My butt was hurting before my workout but now it is even more so. I did step ups (the right way) with 50 lbs on my bar. I also did squats but I've cut back a little on the weight although on the last set I did do 120 lbs on the bar. I'm really trying to work on my form with squats. I find that I have the tendency to curve my back and stick my booty out. Oh and on my last set for pushups, I went to the first stair. It was pretty hard. Although I need to practice on those for a while I think, I can visualize doing a 'real' pushup sometime in the near future.

JerseyGirl69
03-25-2008, 05:30 AM
Sportsfreak, please share info re: your diet...

Lydia227
03-25-2008, 08:53 AM
Mel: Now that takes some core strength. How fun. Yeah, I felt a little foolish attempting to lift anything beyond my gym bag after that class. I'm really struggling right now with trying to get a good mix in my program. I'm also missing the body comp I had last summer. It's time to figure it out now or I'm going to be miserable this summer.

Enjoy the day all! :sunny:

baffled111
03-25-2008, 12:07 PM
Mel! Ouch. Those look incredibly hard.
Midwife, congrats on the bf points! That's fabulous.

I went and did the yoga last night. It wasn't at all as bad as I'd thought. The lying around breathing was kept to a minimum and the class seemed to be a good balance of strength and stretching poses. If I keep with it I think it will be really good for helping with my flexibility and balance. I have terrible balance. It was nice to be strong enough to be able to make a reasonable showing with all the poses despite being a yoga virgin.

Off to the gym to do 4B1 today!
(Sportmom--that's a test!)

Lydia227
03-25-2008, 02:13 PM
The lying around breathing was kept to a minimum.....

:lol3: See that's always been my impression as well. Glad it was a good experience Baff.

nelie
03-25-2008, 02:21 PM
baffled - if you want to try a yoga video at home (you can rent them you know!), Candelight yoga is pretty good. The yoga journal also has a series that is pretty challenging.

I'm super sore today, ow ow ow. That is what I get. I was just lamenting yesterday that I haven't felt as sore as I did in my first few workouts. I guess you can't make me happy. If I'm sore, I'm unhappy, if I'm not sore, I'm even unhappier.

elisa822
03-25-2008, 04:37 PM
Lydia/baff - my yoga class only does about a minute or so of breathing (while standing up!) at the beginning and then we do about 3-4 minutes at the end. The rest...is hard work! I think it really depends on what type of yoga class it is and the instructor.

I did go to my yoga class today and it was great, as usual! ;)

midwife
03-25-2008, 08:00 PM
Thanks, guys! I am LOVING the workouts, Mel. They are hard, but I keep surviving and walking away to do it again another day. My right arm continues to be weaker than my left and it is the weirdest feeling to will it to lift on the last couple reps and it just won't do what I am telling it to do.

I'm at a very strange place with my body right now. Pretty soon I will weigh less than I remember weighing since 1995. I can see changes in some of my muscles and in my clothes, but when I look in the mirror, I don't sense a big size change. It is almost as though my hips and belly are static and the clothes are dynamic. I'll tell you, this weight loss thing is a mental trip.

I'm at the point where I have no idea what my goal weight will be. I've actually dropped that ticker and I don't know if it will be back. Where will my body end up? I have no idea, and I also realize that my body will always be in a bit of flux, even when I decide to "maintain"....body fat, muscle, shape will always be tweaked I guess.

It's a trip, though, and when I start to get to analytical and freaked out, I just try to focus on behaviors. That is something I can control immediately and daily, and not the overall numbers, etc. Even my new little ticker challenge of 5 pounds by Mother's Day is a little odd....I think it will happen as a natural side effect of my continued behaviors, but again....how do I even determine a goal scale weight? Maybe my new goal should be a body fat percentage? My trainer says a good body fat goal for me to shoot for at this time is 17%. When she told me that, I felt like it might as well be a goal weight of 115 lbs or something....but after the changes in my body this month, I think it is actually realistic.

Is it truly possible that I can have a rockin' hot body? Strong and muscular? My body image is all over the place right now and my mood changes from one day to the next.....always positive and knowing that my changes are positive, but on this journey....with a fuzzy destination, I can feel on top of the world one second and doubtful the next....but the journey is the important part anyway.

I am so grateful to have all of you to talk about this with. No one in my real life understands.....maybe some of you do! :lol:

Mel
03-25-2008, 09:24 PM
Midwife- I absolutely understand! I think you are right about abandoning the goal weight ticker and working on behaviors, body composition, and fitness goals. If you want rocking hard body, unless you have injuries or metabolic issues (which it doesn't sound like you do), how far you take it is up to you. How much time and effort and perhaps money are you able to expend on fitness? One of the things that has really struck me over the last 7 years of my fitness and weight loss journey, is how plastic the human body really is. Yup, we all have certain genetic limitations; I'll always have skinny calves, but even in my 50's I can build a significant amount of muscle and keep it with hard work. Likewise the body composition. I'll never get my body fat back into the low teens or dip in to the single digits, but that's a personal choice about what I'm willing to live with. It's not as easy to cut body fat, but it is doable with dedication at any age if you are healthy.

I'm so glad you are enjoying this and have found a great trainer and place to train :hug:

BTW, it's pretty normal to be stronger on one side. My left side is stronger, both leg and arm. Chest and back don't seem to be "sided" and visually I'm symmetrical. Weird.

Baf- you made me laugh with "it wasn't as bad as I thought", and "the breathing was kept to a minimum." :lol3: That's pretty much my take on yoga.

Mel

elisa822
03-25-2008, 10:09 PM
You know what's hard? Getting in enough protein! So, I'm tracking on Fitday and it's rather enlightening. Today, I had what I think was, for me, a lot of protein. A decent amount of protein at every meal, including breakfast. Or so I thought. I still ended up at a 40/30/30 breakdown, with the 40 being carbs.

I think that's going to have to be the goal for me. I was hoping for the 40 to be protein but it would involve serious change for me and I'm not sure if I'm ready for that.

midwife - it's so amazing and great, the drop in bodyfat that you've seen. And isn't it exciting to see what your body can do!? Good for you. :carrot:

I would love to see a drop in BF. I had it tested a few months ago and I was disgusted and shocked at the number. I think I was told it was about 35%. I didn't think that was possible at my height and weight. And given my workouts. Maybe the test was off but who knows. I should go back and see if it's any better but it was so depressing, I'm not sure if I have it in me.

I'm off to finish watching Bigges Loser!

Mel
03-26-2008, 08:28 AM
Elisa- that number really doesn't sound reasonable. How was it tested?

Cardio done- 3 mile run on treadmill broken up by 8 minutes on recumbent bike every mile. That's about the limit of my knees and back. Shoulders today at the gym including those crawls again :)

Food on track for 2 days! I seem to have no problem getting the protein in- some days I have to be careful because I'm over 50% which is a bit much!

Mel

elisa822
03-26-2008, 09:47 AM
Mel - first, what do you eat in a day that you have no problem getting up to or over 50% protein? Can you just give me a sample day??

As for the BF test, I think I was so crushed when I had it done that I wouldn't admit here what the number was but I did talk about the method. I researched it at the time and, of course, the guy at the gym told me how accurate it was (whatever). All I know is he asked me my height and weight and then pointed some baton thing at my bicep and the computer spit out a number. Very sad. I guess I could go back but he didn't seem to think it was a surprising number.

I'm also on for day 3 of good clean eating. But, as usual, it's the weekends that cause me trouble. I'm hoping Fitday will keep me in line!

nelie
03-26-2008, 12:38 PM
Elisa - Those electric impedence machines just give estimates and there is only really one way to truly find out your bf%.

I had a dream last night that I was out shopping for exercise equipment and was looking at these chin up bars. I then tried to do a chin up and I could do it. Weird that I'm dreaming about doing chin ups. Although I currently do have 3 goals right now.
1) Improve my squat form
2) Do multiple 'real' pushups
3) Do a chinup.

I did 1B this morning. I decided to try 90 lbs on my bar with deadlifts. Try was all it was. The bar barely lifted and I couldn't do it. I did do 80 lbs though :) I've also been doing shoulder presses with the kettlebell. I have a 25 lb kettlebell and then a 35 lb kettlebell. I can do shoulder presses with the 25 lb kettlebell but 35 was too heavy. So I did it with a 25 lb kettlebell holding a 5 lb dumbbell. I thought I was going to drop the dumbbell and knock myself silly but I didn't.

Lydia227
03-26-2008, 03:08 PM
Hello everyone:wave: Just checking in. 20 minutes of cardio on the elliptical, 15 minutes of HIIT on the treadmill, three sets of back bb backsquats, three sets of deadlifts, two sets of 1 legged squats, two sets of bodyweight step ups, one set of lunges followed up with 15 more minutes of elliptical, and called it a day after 15 minutes of core and stretching.

Scale's up this morning as I knew it would be. It's time to clean things up for a while and get back down to pre autumn size. :yikes: I gotta get back into my white pants again! The jeans lie with all of that stretching room they acquire through the day.:s:

sportmom
03-26-2008, 03:57 PM
You know what's hard? Getting in enough protein!

It's especially hard if you have a history of kidney issues or stones. I never had either issue until last year when I started on my protein smoothies 2x/day. Doc didn't ban them, but said limit them, so I will stick to using them for my pwomeal. Still it's hard to get in enough otherwise, and it's a big stink not to be a fan o' fish in the quest for protein.

sportmom
03-26-2008, 04:01 PM
Nelie, I think we should ask Jennifer to create a new Kettlebell Icon just for you. Seriously, we need it!! It should be one of those cute people hefting one up.

Mel
03-26-2008, 08:52 PM
Elisa- today's eats were weird because I was too tired to do much prepping, but here's yesterday:

Formatting is a little weird when pasted from fitday, but I'll try to clean it up for you.

Calories Eaten Today
grams cals %total
Total: 1307
Fat: 23 210 18%
Sat: 6 51 4%
Poly: 6 54 4%
Mono: 5 48 4%
Carbs:150 405 34%
Fiber: 49 0 0%
Protein: 146 586 49%
Alcohol:0 0 0%

Today's Foods
Food Name Servings Serving Size Cals Fat Carb Prot
Coffee, made from ground, regular 6 0 1 0
Cream, half and half 20 2 1 0
Milk, evaporated, whole, undiluted 11 1 1 1
Flax Pumpkin pancake 265 6 25 27
Blueberries, frozen, unsweetened 20 0 5 0
Yogurt-Dannon Light and Fit 20 0 4 2
SPACE 0 0 0 0
Yogurt-Dannon Light and Fit 40 0 7 4
Cheese, cottage, lowfat (1-2% fat) 90 1 3 14
Mixed salad greens, raw 9 0 2 1
Balsamic - Lighten UP 23 2 1 0
Chili con carne with chicken or turkey and beans 216 5 26 17
SPACE 0 0 0 0
Apple, raw 125 1 32 0
HDT ProBlend55 135 1 4 28
Finfish, tuna, yellowfin, fresh, cooked, dry heat 197 2 0 42
Mixed salad greens, raw 18 0 3 2
Spinach, raw 7 0 1 1
Balsamic - Lighten UP 23 2 1 0
Broccoli, raw 25 0 5 3
Spinach, raw 7 0 1 1
Yogurt-Dannon Light and Fit 40 0 7 4
Psyllium seed, husks 13 0 22 1
Totals 1307 23 150 146

What that really is:

coffee with 1/2 and 1/2, pumpkin-flax pancake with blueberries and dannon lite yogurt on top

1/2 c cottage cheese with 1/2 cup yogurt (I mix glutamine and psyllium husks into it)

Giant salad with 1 cup of turkey-black bean chili on top, tbs. Newman's Own Balsamic light

Apple and 1 scoop protein powder mixed with water

Fresh tuna steak, giant salad with mixed greens and spinach, large serving of broccoli

1/2 cup sugar free dannon vanilla yogurt

I don't count the fish oil capsule I take in the morning- maybe 10 calories?

I like protein, Carbs just make me feel awful and I can't eat anything with wheat in it anyway. Most of my carbs come from fruit or vegies or beans.

Mel

elisa822
03-26-2008, 09:17 PM
Mel - thanks so much for giving me the details of "a day in the life of Mel"! ;) I'm a carboholic so that's where my calories would naturally go, if I didn't pay careful attention. I think I need to consider bringing back my protein pancakes as more of a staple. I love them but they don't always keep me full as long as I'd like.

Today my calories were only at 1000 but that's not normal and I won't worry about one low day. I was clocked in though at 40/40/20 for protein/carbs/fat.

The protein is a struggle for me but I need to try harder to eat more of a balanced diet. I've counted calories (or WW points) for so long that I'm okay at that but I've never paid attention to the breakdown and I really hope that this might help me drop the last few pounds.

I had a good workout today but my shoulder was really bothering me. I'm not going to see the PT for the first time for another couple of weeks yet though so I'll just keep on keeping on until then.

Fran - I actually was thinking of you and the kidney stones when I started to have more protein shakes but I don't really like them that much (I just drink it really quickly!) so I doubt I'll ever have two a day. I think it will be one on most, but not all days. We'll see.

baffled111
03-26-2008, 10:18 PM
Elisa, why are you eating such low calories? If you want to build muscle, you're going to have to increase them a bit! That'll be the easiest way to get more protein in.

midwife
03-26-2008, 10:50 PM
Elisa,
My trainer has a nutrition plan for me that calls for 125 gms of protein a day. I fell a bit short today I think but this is how my food was today:
Breakfast: 1 hardboiled egg + 1 egg white, fiber one bar (this carb is usually oatmeal instead)
Snack: protein shake and blackberries
Lunch: turkey, greens, tomato, avocado and red chile on a small flour tortilla
Snack: protein shake and strawberries
Dinner: ground chicken w/ taco seasonings, cottage cheese, avocado, tomatoes and lettuce over cauliflower, broccoli and carrots
Snack: protein shake and a bite of pineapple

I too am a carb junkie and I didn't realize how much until my "carbs" were limited to twice a day----and NOT dinner!! I know that my fruits and veggies have some carbs, but I love bread, pasta, cereal, potatoes, rice.....you name it, I love it. My first few dinners without those kind of carbs were really sad. But I have adjusted pretty well. So even though my fiber one bar and my flour tortilla weren't the most nutritious carbs I could have chosen today, I thoroughly enjoyed them and I have adapted pretty good to a carb free afternoon and evening.

I eat a lot of cottage cheese and egg whites these days. :-) There's some protein for ya!

elisa822
03-27-2008, 09:13 AM
Thanks to everyone for all the protein tips!

baff - I did not intend to have 1000 calories yesterday. It was just a slightly weird food day and I ate some dinner, was at 1000 calories and couldn't figure out what else to have. I had some milk and then, since I wasn't hungry, figured that was fine for a day. I more than make up for it other days! I am, though, trying to keep my calories to 1200. I can't seem to eat more and lose weight. I believe what you're saying about needing more to build muscle, it's just the old dieting mind struggle that's always hard to break! I'm still working on things!

baffled111
03-27-2008, 02:31 PM
Fair enough Elisa. I have to say though that I think only a stomach virus would make me stop eating after 1000 calories!

I had a crappy workout today. Everything felt heavy, and not in a good way. :( However, I did the front-squat-push-presses with the oly bar today and had no problems with my elbows. It must just have been a fluke last time.

Onward, onward.

elisa822
03-27-2008, 03:50 PM
baff - Just to let you know, my low calorie day may be catching up with me, or it's just one of those days because I'm hungry today!! I'm working it out. :)

So, I know we've talked here about the scale and BF% etc. but what about measurements? I had someone else take my measurements and, while I'm not sure that they were perfectly accurate, I think they weren't too far off. I'm reluctant to share this type of stuff but what the heck? My numbers for bust/waist/hips were 35/29/39.5. I do not believe the 29 for the waist but she did it twice. I'm high waisted but I still think the tape was too high. Anyway, anyone else track these things and want to share measurements, goals or thoughts?

I know I'd like to get the hips down a bit but I don't know what's a "good" number".

No gym :( for me today but tomorrow should be NORLW 1b.

4rabbit
03-27-2008, 03:54 PM
Hi LWL,

I did NRWL 2B today for the first time. Again, a number of very strange moves. I will have to get myself a step or something for some of this stuff. I still feel my muscles from the 2A of tuesday, so I think I must be doing something right. however, I find the new exercises very difficult, so I might hang in stage 2 a bit longer than Alwyn recommends. Also, I have had to bring out the pink barbie weights...mine are actually bright red 3 kg dumbells.

I did the HIIT at the gym this evening, and I did some recumbent bike afterwards while waiting for DD to finish her dance class.

Hi to everyone,

Rabbit

Lydia227
03-27-2008, 05:35 PM
Hey Elisa: I believe your measurements! We are close to the height and weight. Well, you do have two inches on me and that can make a big difference. So, I ran and measured myself just for you. I'm at 34/29/38. I have tracked this since the beginning of my journey. When I began my measurements were 40/36.5/46. It took me eight months to get into the ballpark of my current measurements. I've been struggling to whittle the rest away for the last :chin: year and half. :dunno: Honestly, though with the injuries and surgeries I've had during that time I'm just thrilled that I've maintained. :yes:

Speaking of injuries, the clutz does it again. I have been doing decline situps with a 25# plate. This morning I pulled the plate off the rack, began to wrap it in the towel (keeps the rust from getting on my shirt when I'm holding against my chest) and DROPPED IT. I jumped in time to save my toes but it still grazed the top of my ankle on the way down. :doh: I have a nice little bruise there. Fortunately it didn't actually hit the ankle bone but just above so I could still go one with the rest of my workout. :devil: Made everyone look though. :o

Elisa: I'm glad that you made me look at these measurements again. It's been a while since I've seen some real changes in my body. Even though I am real close to my goal weight, which is really nebulous anyway I'm more of a BF% girl now, it will obviously take the same kind of focus and tenacity to see it through that I used in the beginning of this journey. Regroup, regroup, regroup...

Midwife: I'm thrilled to read about your success! Thanks for sharing. We are eating very similar meals. When I first began dinner would be a broiled chicken breast on the plate with steamed broccoli sometimes three nights or more a week. Poor DH. He never once complained but would smile and say "We better eat it because it looks kind of lonely there on that plate all by itself." :D He wasn't too worried about the menu change. He knew how to throw together a PB&J if he really needed it.

elisa822
03-27-2008, 07:42 PM
Lydia - thanks for running and checking the measurements for me. We have very similar statistics so maybe those numbers are accurate. I never took them at my highest weight but they're probably similar to your numbers! Now I know where to go to borrow some clothes! ;) And I'm happy if I made you realize how much progress you've made. I should think the same for myself.

Oh, and Lydia, please, be careful!!

Mel
03-27-2008, 10:16 PM
LYDIA! Be careful! You can lose a toe even with your shoe on doing that! I dropped a 45 on my big toe several years ago and could barely hobble for months.

You two are shaped very different from me. I have narrow hips, a thick waist, big rib cage and wide shoulders. 35-27-34. I started out at 44-35-40. Not exactly an hourglass ever.

Mel

nelie
03-27-2008, 11:05 PM
I'm always scared I'm going to drop a plate on me or something. I often do weights barefoot at home, should I admit that? :)

I'm curious about how much protein I'm taking in with my efforts to increase my protein count. So today I used fitday to count. I'm pretty sure the calories are accurate because I weighed mostly everything.

So today I ate 1672 calories, 22% fat, 55% carbs and 23% protein. My protein count was 85 grams which isn't bad but the calorie count is a bit higher than I'd want. Get this though, my fiber was 95 grams. Thats a lot of fiber.

Lydia227
03-27-2008, 11:34 PM
Uhm Yeah Nelie, what size shoe do you wear? I'll ship you a pair of steel toed workboots that come past the ankle. After that experience I think we are all nuts not to be wearing them while lifting.

Mel, :oI know, I know Trust me, it scared the h#ll out of me. I really need to be more careful when moving those things around. I had just finished working biceps and triceps and I think I was too fatigued to really grip anything at that moment. I'm just glad my dork moment didn't land me in the emergency room.

Mel
03-28-2008, 08:35 AM
Argh...alarm didn't go off this morning because I fell asleep before I set it! Somehow I woke up only 20 minutes late, so I did the BUST-A-LUNG interval program that I posted in the HIIT thread. Wow- I'd forgotten how hard that is :lol3: I haven't done it in about a year and a half :o

Be safe, Lydia!
Nelie, put your shoes on!!!!

Mel

nelie
03-28-2008, 11:46 AM
I did my last 1A workout and I have to say I'm extremely happy.

I went to do pushups and I started with the 2nd step which was challenging a few days ago but doable. Today they were easy. The 1st step was challenging but not too difficult so I decided to go for the big one... On my last set, I did real pushups on the floor! I did 4 before I gave out and switched back to the 1st step. I've tried to do real pushups for a long time but couldn't really ever do them without collapsing. Amazing what just a few weeks can do.

It is nice to have something tangible as a reward.

Meg
03-28-2008, 11:58 AM
:bravo: Nelie -- that's fantastic!!

midwife
03-28-2008, 02:03 PM
Yea, Nelie! That's fantastic!

I had a good workout last night. My schedule is so funky that I have worked with a couple different trainers. I worked out with the same trainer last night as I did Tuesday night when I was exhausted and stressed and had a mini-meltdown (work stress + lack of sleep = mini-meltdown) and I was able to talk about some of my issues and concerns with body image and goal-setting, etc.

Really, who needs a shrink? Iron, exertion, and a friendly ear work just as well!
And 3FC of course!

jamsk8r
03-28-2008, 02:33 PM
Hi LWL,

I said I was going to jump in here, then forgot to keep it up. I'm just getting into Stage 1 (did 1A3 yesterday), but loving the workouts. I bloated up with water at first, like 5 lbs the next day, but today it doesn't seem so bad, so maybe I'll get used to it and will be able to see the scale move again. I know, I shouldn't obsess, but I just really, really want to get out of the 200+ lb range!

My big accomplishment yesterday was switching from the 45 degree push-ups to about 30 degree pushups. I could only do 9 of those the first set, and pushed out 10 the second set, but that's more than I could do before! I just finished each set by going back to the 45 degree ones to get all the reps in.

Lydia227
03-28-2008, 03:10 PM
Mel: There's a BUST A LUNG interval in another thread? I gotta go back and catch up. I hope the late alarm didn't set the tone for the rest of your day.

Nelie: :yay: I'm so excited for you. Keep going with this. Maybe if you try them earlier in your set you will be surprised with how many you can crank out. :hug: It is wonderful to have a tangible reward!

Midwife: These workouts are essential to my mental health too. Lucky you to have a personal trainer who will listen and advise you along your journey.

Cheryl: Hi :wave: Nice to see you! I always get the post workout water retention after I've taken a few days off too. It happens. :yes: That's why our clothes are a more important indicator of our progress. When it comes to the scale I just look for overall trend. So far my trend has been maintenance. :rolleyes: And a big congratulations on your pushups as well:high: Before you know it you will be movin' down to floor level and hating or I mean loving every minute of it. :devil:

My am workout went okay. I'm reintroducing squats into my program again. It's a little humbling since I was able to handle more weight six or seven months ago. I am seeing some small changes in that I'm able to squat down a little more comfortably in my everyday tasks. I try not to, but I can do it slowly. I am also able to do a complete quad stretch standing up again. :yay: This is a benchmark for me because in February I tried it and immediately felt pain under the kneecaps. So, maybe with time and focused effort I may be able to rehabilitate myself.

Have a great weekend everyone :wave:

kaw
03-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Hi LWL! I'm back! I've been gone long enough that the thought of catching up on the thread is too daunting, so instead I'll just offer a blanket "hello" to everyone. Hope your weekend is more springlike than ours is predicted to be!

Be strong,
Kim

nelie
03-28-2008, 07:17 PM
Welcome back kaw!

Thanks everyone. I didn't write much about it because I had a busy day but I can't tell you how much it means to me to do a push up. When I got home, I did a couple just to make sure it wasn't a dream this morning :)

I've been doing weights off and on for nearly 4 years and when I first started, it was fun to see how much weight you could do on the various machines and weight contraptions. Even playing around with the smith machine where I felt safe enough to brave squats, lunges and bench presses. None of that really ever translated into 'real' accomplishments though. Even for the past couple weeks, it has been fun seeing weights increase as well as working on form and I know one of the ultimate goals is to do a chin up but that is further in the future. But to do a pushup, for me, is one of the signs of true strength and means more to me than how much weight I can put on a bar or on a stack.

Now if only I could nail that prone jackknife perfectly :)

Mel
03-28-2008, 08:52 PM
I missed that this morning, nelie! :bravo: :bravo:

Congratulations!

Mel

baffled111
03-28-2008, 10:02 PM
Congrats Nelie! It really is great. I feel the same way about pullups. There's something special about these really difficult bodyweight exercises.

Welcome back Kim! I wondered where you had disappeared to.

4rabbit
03-29-2008, 02:32 PM
Nelie

:bravo::bravo::bravo:

Are you coming on the next challenge ? Come along on the hunt for the elusive chin-up!

Rabbit

jamsk8r
03-29-2008, 07:44 PM
Hi all. Did workout 1B3 today. It kicked my butt, as usual. I feel pretty exhausted every day, since starting the lifting. :( I hope this is just a newb thing that goes away, because I'm so wiped out that the jogging and skating (which I normally love doing) are hard to get through.

Nelie, WTG on the pushups! :carrot:
Lydia, good luck with your rehab and getting back into squats!

Lifeguard
03-30-2008, 12:05 AM
Cheryl - the energy will catch up with you once your body adjusts to the new demands your placing on it. Warning - it took me almost 8 weeks before I saw the improvement - but I think that is longer than most people.

I've not been near the gym all week as a friend & her husband are in town visiting but we did go to the coast for 3 days & we've stayed pretty active. I went boogie boarding for the first time, some very steep hiking, ziplining (ok - that wasn't super physical but a bit of an ab workout) & the best part.... learned to surf!!!! I have wanted to surf for as long as I can remember.

Anyway, I crashed seriously today - soooooo tired but after a good long nap this afternoon I feel human again (this darn baby is a real energy drain). But surfing was tons of fun & definitely something I will have to try again.

jamsk8r
03-30-2008, 02:19 PM
Lifeguard, congrats on the surfing...sounds like fun! I'm glad to hear that feeling worn out is somewhat normal in the beginning. I've been trying to figure if I was doing something wrong or lifting too heavy or something. I think I might be a little heavy on some of the exercises, like the pullover and shoulder press, so I might either cut that weight back just a smidge, or experiment with taking an extra rest day between workouts. I think some warm-up sets with weight are in order now, too. I'd been doing BW warm-ups, but I don't think those are enough any more. I went over the book again last night, and can see where I was forgetting some of the finer details. :book2::frypan:

elisa822
03-30-2008, 08:34 PM
Eventually maybe I'll begin to really see the value of strength training when it comes to changing your shape. As I've said recently, I was really shook by my fitness assesment at they gym telling me I had 35% BF. I would have expected 25% - I certainly never thought I was much less than that, but 35% really freaked me out. I am now starting to believe that maybe that was incorrect, as was suggested here.

In the past two years, I haven't lost much weight, except in the last few weeks when I've finally dropped maybe 5-7 lbs., but I've been exercising seriously for about a year and a half. I went shopping today and actually bought a size 6 pant! My first size 6!! And it's in a store where I shop all the time. I remember buying some 10's a couple of years ago, then last year an 8...now 6! It was quite exciting for me. And I would have never tried them on if I hadn't been with a couple of friends who insisted that the 8's I was about to purchase were too big. I couldn't see it, they felt fine too me.

Anyhow, just thought I'd share...yay for exercise, yay for weight lifting and boo to the fitness guy who told me I still had 35% BF!

Sorry for the ramble...hope everyone had a great weekend. I think finally spring might be coming.

Mel
03-30-2008, 09:07 PM
Congratulations, Elisa! Smaller sizes sure feel good :D

LG- I've always wanted to learn how to surf, too. I think the closest I'll get is snow surfing, tho :lol3: aka skiing. I'm glad you're feeling better. And yes, growing a baby is hard work!

Kaw- Welcome back :wave: what's new? Picked any new fitness goals?

Jam- Whenever I significantly change my workout, I'm exhausted for a while. It's normal, it will pass.

I did a changed-up leg workout yesterday and am sore, sore, sore for the first time in a long time.

Today was lots of cleaning and cooking. Frozen pumpkin protein pancakes are tucked away for two weeks in ziploc bags. That always makes me feel good.

We ate venison medallions tonight for dinner- yum! they were very lean and filling. I hadn't had venison in years and forgot how good it was. Hmmmm....there's a lot of protein on the hoof munching in my backyard in the mornings! :devil: (Apologies to our vegans.)

Mel

Meg
03-30-2008, 09:35 PM
LOL on your deer, Mel! DH grew up on a farm in northwest PA where you literally could go out in the back pasture and blast Bambi for dinner (and they did!) He now stares wistfully out the window at the five or six fat, completely fearless deer grazing on our flowers and shrubs, sleeping, and pooping in our backyard and thinks about his shotgun in the basement -- and just can't understand why the township has these silly rules about not firing guns in your own backyard. :dizzy:

zinkemomx2
03-30-2008, 10:28 PM
Three words - bow and arrow!

nelie
03-30-2008, 11:16 PM
My inlaws stress about the deer eating all their plants as well. Apparently one of their neighbors has 6 deer that are a permanent fixture in their yard.

Today I did my last 1B workout. I felt pretty strong although I screwed up the workout at first. I forgot to alternate exercises and then even started the wrong exercise. I then went on a hike later on in the day which was pretty good.

Oh I also decided to buy a body fat analyzer. I know they aren't the best at accuracy but they are good at changes in body fat. The one I decided to buy has both a sensor for your feet and your hands. My hope is that it'll be able to be as accurate as possible for an electrical impedance type contraption. I am having such an issue with the scale right now that I think I need to rely on a different measurement and hopefully it'll help me get over my hurdle.

Mel
03-31-2008, 08:25 AM
Nelie- How about just a plain old tape measure? If you do get a bf analyzer which are you getting?

Cardio done- off to work :)

Mel

nelie
03-31-2008, 11:40 AM
The body fat analyzer I ordered is the HBF-500
http://www.omronhealthcare.com/enTouchCMS/app/viewDocument?docID=3737&parntCatgId=35

Of course I know I could just use the tape measure although I think it is too easy to have the tape measure vary on each measure. At least with the body fat analyzer, I would expect it to be consistent even if it isn't perfect.

kaw
03-31-2008, 12:37 PM
Morning, LWL!

I'm working my way through the first rotation of exercises since my return. Not good. Friday was chest/abs, today legs. I've lost strength and reps on pretty much every exercise. I guess that's what I get for being gym-less for nearly 3 weeks.

So, to answer Mel's question, here are my new fitness goals:
1) STRENGTH: get back to the weight I was lifting pre-break on all the major compound lifts
2) ENDURANCE: gain at least 2 reps on bench, deads, and squats at the PR weight
3) FAT LOSS: lose 5 pounds of body fat by my 40th birthday, which is in 53 days.

I know that losing fat and gaining strength/reps are, in some ways, contradictory goals, especially for people who have long since worked through beginners gains. And, I'm not a spring chicken anymore, either! But, with clean eating, lost of protein, and a bit more cardio (ick blech yech gag) I should be able to get there.

Y'all will have to help keep me accountable, and give me a :nono: every time I get too close to the peanut butter jar. :)

:strong:
Kim

Lifeguard
03-31-2008, 03:10 PM
My guests just left & I am excited to get back into the gym again. I am starting my yoga class tomorrow (a little less excited about that).

I haven't gained weight yet but I can tell it is going to be an emotional hurdle. I know it is necessary & for a good 'cause - but after so long & so much work losing my brain is not going to accept this so easily.

I never thought I would get to learn to surf either - Canada is not known for it's great surfing - lol! Somedays I still wake up amazed that I am in Costa Rica!!!