South Beach Diet - OMG Hummus!

View Full Version : OMG Hummus!

cathbro
03-14-2008, 04:24 PM
I tried it for the first time and it is delicious! The brand is Wild Garden. Can anyone direct me to more good Hummus products? I can't believe it is soooooo good. I ate it with celery:D I did not know what else to do with it.:shrug::lol:

audreymonroe
03-14-2008, 04:36 PM
I usually buy a brand called Tribe, and I get the original, but whatever you think is yummy is great. It's awesome with carrots too, and if you have room for a little carb-action, whole wheat pita bread.

shrinkinglizzy
03-14-2008, 04:52 PM
great as a sandwich spread, with any raw veggies as a dip...

SAnativegirl
03-14-2008, 04:53 PM
I have not tried those brands, but have tried Athenos-I like the spicy pepper one with celery sticks.

cottagebythesea
03-14-2008, 05:17 PM
My favorite brand is Sabra. It's lighter and creamier than most other brands. Also pricier, but worth every penny IMHO. :)

cathbro
03-14-2008, 05:23 PM
Great! :) All of those brands are available in my area.:carrot:

Suzanne 3FC
03-14-2008, 05:57 PM
I like to make my own :T

macygrl
03-14-2008, 06:56 PM
I just bought a "snackers pack" of Tribe hummus at Costco today. It has 16 little 2 oz hummus "snack" size regular and roasted garlic flavors. Its pretty good, the garlic is pretty strong...I am still trying to find new ideas of how to eat it :D

lbug
03-15-2008, 08:19 AM
I buy Cedars Original Hummus Tahini- its yummy. My favorite way to have it is spread on a piece of oven roasted turkey breast and roll it up. I've used it as a sandwich spread also. I've seen all kinds of different flavors at our grocery store in Mass- I tried artichoke & spinach , and roasted red pepper hummus- but I'm not sure of the name but I'll check next time I go shopping.

Ruthxxx
03-15-2008, 08:48 AM
Why not make your own and save a bundle? This is a good recipe. (http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=130918&highlight=Hummus) I add red peppers or spinach or canned chopped artichokes to mine and it's yummy! If you can't find tahini, add sesame oil instead of olive or peanut butter. I do mine in my little food processor.

ladybugnessa
03-15-2008, 08:55 AM
My favorite brand is Sabra. It's lighter and creamier than most other brands. Also pricier, but worth every penny IMHO. :)

i love the sabra roasted garlic and i get it at Costco by the quart!

I also love the trader joe's roasted chipolte pepper hummus.

MandiK
03-15-2008, 10:09 PM
Sometimes I take a hard boiled egg, remove the yolk and then stuff the egg white with hummus... it's good! I also like it with carrots/celery and pita chips! I haven't tried a brand I haven't liked :)

Scarletbegonias
03-16-2008, 01:34 AM
I found hummus today for the first time and I'm in love with it! I found a few good recipes today on foodnetwork.com, and I've been enjoying my hummus with Newmans Own Organic Pretzel Rods...mmmm

ladybugnessa
03-16-2008, 06:44 AM
I found hummus today for the first time and I'm in love with it! I found a few good recipes today on foodnetwork.com, and I've been enjoying my hummus with Newmans Own Organic Pretzel Rods...mmmm

not sure those pretzel rods are beachy however.

lbug
03-16-2008, 07:53 AM
Thanks for the great idea-- I'm having my son's Birthday party today and I'll try the egg recipe.
Ruthxxx-Thanks, I'll try that. Did you post the peanut butter cup recipe last week? If so, it was delicious!

Lisa

FluffyK
03-17-2008, 09:01 AM
I spread hummus on my chicken breast. I hate chicken breast and used to eat a forkful with stuffing or potatoes. Now I use hummus. I eat hummus with cucumbers, red peppers, shrimp, etc... it's a good "spread"

Shesaninja
03-17-2008, 12:57 PM
Hummus is delicious. I need to find a recipe to make at home cause it's expensive!

blondywants2bethin
03-17-2008, 09:05 PM
great i love hummus alway wanted to make it

Loriann7
03-18-2008, 06:23 AM
I stay away from hummus!!!!!! I found I liked it so much I would eat the entire thing in one setting!!!! Besides, laughing cow lf cheese is lower in calories, and comes in neat little single serving packages inside so I dont have to guess!!!!!!!!!!

pamatga
03-18-2008, 04:17 PM
I can't remember, maybe, I did but I have never tried hummus before. Isn't that made from chick peas? Mashed up? What does it taste it? Isn't it bland without some added seasonings or spices? Is it one of those dips that "one taste suits all"?

So, I will trot off to the store and sleuth it out.

I also wanted to say that since starting SBD I have tried for the very first time : (not in order)

asparagus
cabbage
spaghetti squash
rutabagas
brussel sprouts
greens(which I still didn't like)
string cheese
plain yogurt(it has to be mixed with something)
sour cream ( a very little dap---I don't like what I call "thick dairy" stuff)

I realize some of you have probably eaten some of this often or even a lot but I was a very timid taster in my own little groove (some may say rut) when it came to "exploring" new taste sensations.

So, next time, I post, I will tell you my humble opin' of hummus. I hope.