Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-14-2008, 01:54 PM   #1  
blissfully gluten-free

S/C/G: 195/192/170

Height: 5'7"...................................... waist: 38"/34"/28"

Unhappy Obsessed with the Measuring Tape

Okay, so I've read about being obsessed with the scales, but I don't own a scale (precisely because I don't want to be obsessed with it, and when I've had scales in the past, I have absolutely become a weighing maniac) and have become "ruled by the tape," it seems, even though I've only taken my measurements a few times since starting BistroMD.

I know I'm premenstrual right now, which makes me think I shouldn't worry too much about a fluctuation in the WRONG direction for my measurements, but it seems I've gotten really upset about this week's measurements vs. the ones I took two weeks ago. (And if I could be totally logical about this, I wouldn't even bother posting. But I need some outside logic and/or commiseration, so I'm hoping y'all can provide that.)

So, last night's measurements made me want to just totally go off-plan. I wanted to say, "Oh, yeah?! I'm gonna be this GOOD with my eating and be rewarded by an increase in my measurements? I'll show you!" (Who will I show? Yeah, I know. I know.)

Even though my clothes are seriously falling off me and I KNOW my weight is just getting all sorts of redistributed as I lose weight, the measurements upset me so I'm thinking about buying a scale (all signs--via posts here--point to getting a Tanita of some sort), but then I'm worried because I KNOW I will weigh myself several times per day. I KNOW I will.

And I just don't want to be so results-oriented with this. I mean, YES, I *do* want results, ultimately, but I also know that I am getting healthier and trying to create a new LIFESTYLE and relationship with food, exercise, and my body. So, the prospect of introducing the obsessive, results-oriented process of weighing myself constantly makes me a little nervous.

Any thoughts? Advice? Hang-in-theres?

Thanks in advance!
full of grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:04 PM   #2  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

Honestly, I'd do a couple things:

1) Limit the tape to once a month, at the same point in your menstrual cycle. ONCE A MONTH.

2) Find a scale that is somewhere else, and go weigh in there once a month. I had a friend who had to send her scale "on a vacation" to her parent's house because she couldn't control her use of it. If you know you have a problem with frequent weighing, I'd resist getting a scale for inside your house...especially if you let scale fluctuations make you feel bad, which you indicated you do!

Can you count something else instead, like on-plan days?
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:13 PM   #3  
blissfully gluten-free

Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by mandalinn82 View Post
Honestly, I'd do a couple things:

1) Limit the tape to once a month, at the same point in your menstrual cycle. ONCE A MONTH.
That's very smart. Thank you.

Quote:
2) Find a scale that is somewhere else, and go weigh in there once a month. I had a friend who had to send her scale "on a vacation" to her parent's house because she couldn't control her use of it. If you know you have a problem with frequent weighing, I'd resist getting a scale for inside your house...especially if you let scale fluctuations make you feel bad, which you indicated you do!
That's also a great idea. Thank you. Yeah, I could get on the scale at the gym, but I risk doing that EVERY time I go and/or crying right there in the gym when the number isn't where I want it to be (seriously, there is a VERY good reason I've kept my house scale-free for the past five years. I get WAY obsessed and emotional about it all).

I really wish I could just keep using the fit of my clothes and HOW I FEEL as a great indication of the good work I'm doing. Wish, wish, wish!

Quote:
Can you count something else instead, like on-plan days?
Do you mean like record the number of 100% days I do and let that be my "win" rather than looking at my weight or my measurements or anything? In these first four weeks of BistroMD, I've been 100% on all but four days, which is what the BistroMD program prescribes--one day per week with a "free night within reason"--and I've done that (plus some cocktails).

I guess I just wish there were a way I could work on my body without getting so dang obsessed. I mean, maybe there's some GOOD behind the obsession, since it helps me stay on task, but the down side is all of the emotional turmoil and single-focus sometimes (to the point of distraction from all other things).

Thank you for your suggestions. I really do appreciate it, mandalinn.
Old 03-14-2008, 02:15 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Height: 5'5"

Quote:
I really wish I could just keep using the fit of my clothes and HOW I FEEL as a great indication of the good work I'm doing. Wish, wish, wish!
Well, why not????!! Seriously, the fit of clothes is a GREAT indicator of how you're doing!

Keep up the good work!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:19 PM   #5  
blissfully gluten-free

Red face

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather View Post
Well, why not????!! Seriously, the fit of clothes is a GREAT indicator of how you're doing!

Keep up the good work!
Thank you. I KNOW you're right, Heather. Thank you. "Well, why not?!?" indeed. You're totally right.

I'm just going to say that today, whenever I get in "monkey mind" about this. "Well, why not?!?" Yes. That's a good one.

Thank you. Both of you. I really appreciate the support!
Old 03-14-2008, 02:21 PM   #6  
No surrender, no retreat

S/C/G: 170/148! :D /134

Height: Vertically comfy 5'2"; horizontally challenged

Quote:
Originally Posted by full of grace View Post
So, the prospect of introducing the obsessive, results-oriented process of weighing myself constantly makes me a little nervous.
Hey, we all have a little obessiveness about something when it comes to wt loss. Scales, tape measures, fat grams, carb grams, water, exercise, etc. Sometimes I think it just can't be helped. We're working our butts off and we want to see the fruits of our labor -- NOW!!

Try -- just try -- measuring once very two wks., once a month if you can manage. Put the tape measure away (maybe out of sight a little more out of mind??) Measurement results tend to take longer than scale results -- I find that for every 5 lbs. of scale loss only then will I see a change in the tape measure. If you measure every single day, how could frustration not set in? This stuff just can't come off quick enough to suite me.

Also, if you know you will weigh many times/day if you get a scale, don't get one. It's really quite pointless weighing many times a day. Get weighed then drink 32 oz of water and get weighed again. OF COURSE the scale will reflect this; you just lugged 32 oz.!! Wait until the water takes it's course and get weighed again and the scale reflects this as well. Once a wk is plenty to weigh but if you know you can't resist, find a scale at a gym or doc's office or somewhere (there's a drug store near us that has a scale and BP machine). Use them instead; just wear the same type of clothing each time.

Try replacing the tape and scale obsessiveness w/something else -- like amt of fiber or water or protein you take in. Maybe count calories -- THAT can become a satisfying, slightly competitive-with-self challenge. You can zig-zag your calories every day and track it. Track how many miles you walked or ran or swam. How much wt did you lift last week; did you increase it this wk? Or maybe the # of reps?

It's so hard not overfocusing on this whole wt loss thing sometimes, but I do find that if I keep busy w/other things in life it takes a back seat one in awhile. And then when I do a 'stat' check, ooo I'm so pleasantly surprised!!!

Last edited by Hat Trick; 03-14-2008 at 02:22 PM.
Hat Trick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:42 PM   #7  
blissfully gluten-free

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hat Trick View Post
Hey, we all have a little obessiveness about something when it comes to wt loss. Scales, tape measures, fat grams, carb grams, water, exercise, etc. Sometimes I think it just can't be helped. We're working our butts off and we want to see the fruits of our labor -- NOW!!
Yes! I guess that's really it, isn't it? *sigh*

Quote:
Try replacing the tape and scale obsessiveness w/something else -- like amt of fiber or water or protein you take in. Maybe count calories -- THAT can become a satisfying, slightly competitive-with-self challenge. You can zig-zag your calories every day and track it. Track how many miles you walked or ran or swam. How much wt did you lift last week; did you increase it this wk? Or maybe the # of reps?
These are GREAT ideas. I guess if I embrace the fact that there are going to be obsessive tendencies regardless, I can just pick and choose where I channel that energy (and I love the idea of keeping track of ounces of water or calories or miles or anything else. Really great idea). Thank you!

Quote:
It's so hard not overfocusing on this whole wt loss thing sometimes, but I do find that if I keep busy w/other things in life it takes a back seat one in awhile. And then when I do a 'stat' check, ooo I'm so pleasantly surprised!!!
Thank you. Great tips and experiences, Hat Trick. I do appreciate the thoughts. I'm going to try to refocus my energy and hope to have a shift soon. That's a good plan.