General Diet Plans and Questions - overhaul (i don't understand why people are telling me this is unhealthy?)

thecolourblue
03-13-2008, 10:57 PM
I've gotten myself into a rut. I've been eating fast food EVERY meal, and rarely leaving the house.

I've decided I've had enough of this. As of yesterday I've been eating healthy and running (on a treadmill) 1.5 hours a day, and working with weights etc for another half hour. I love it! I've also stopped eating all the junk I have (so far I've been eating mostly baby tomatoes (four of those mini boxes in the past two days, i know, that's a lot, but they get rid of other cravings) green beans, veggie burgers, yogurt etc. I'm cutting down on grains (a lot) and cutting out starch for now.

I'm going to continue this until the summer.

Why is this unhealthy? (I've been told I'm moving too fast - I just want to be healthy!) :(

Lovely
03-13-2008, 10:59 PM
Well, you're exercising a ton, so maybe people are just concerned that you need to be eating enough in order to fuel that exercise :yes:

Are you tracking your calories or writing down your food?

Also, you just began yesterday, so they probably don't want you to burn yourself out too fast.

thecolourblue
03-13-2008, 11:02 PM
I don't know WHAT to eat to get the calories right, to be honest. I'm so new to this stuff, haha.

I'm trying to eat healthy but I've learned that the healthy stuff is low cal, and also fills me up a lot quicker!

Where can I find out how many calories to be eating, for the amount of exercise I'll be doing?

mandalinn82
03-13-2008, 11:07 PM
Have you looked at FitDay.com? It is a great site to track how many calories you're actually eating. It tends to overestimate the amount of calories you need to fuel your day, though...mostly you'll figure that out through trial and error.

If you can, enter today's food into a meal tracker (like FitDay or TheDailyPlate) and give us the stats...we can give you some advice on how to make sure you're eating the healthiest things you can.

thecolourblue
03-13-2008, 11:11 PM
Okay, i'll put in stats for everything I've eaten today and I'll post for you guys.

I have a tendancy to overeat or undereat (when I try to be "healthy" i just eat vegetables on their own, ie: the tomatoes, and I don't get enough calories from that)
:(

thecolourblue
03-13-2008, 11:13 PM
I'm on FitDay, they don't have grape tomatoes listed, I'm not sure how to calculate the grape tomatoes into the bigger ones

thecolourblue
03-13-2008, 11:17 PM
they don't have veggie burgers either, haha

CountryGirl18
03-13-2008, 11:22 PM
There some other calorie counting sites that might have those listed such as The Daily Plate.

thecolourblue
03-13-2008, 11:36 PM
I looked it up and added it in myself.

For breakfast I had one of those little cups of Vanilla yogurt and half a cup of greek salad.

For lunch I had a veggie patty with cheese - no bun and a cup of lettuce

For a snack I've had two of those little boxes of cherry/grape tomatoes and a package of snow peas, and two cups of rice chips.

this comes to 664 calories
21 grams of fat
91 carbs
37 protein

I don't know what to do!

PhotoChick
03-13-2008, 11:55 PM
I use Spark-People to track my calories. If you enter all your info into the setup part, it'll give you a guideline as to how many calories, fat grams, etc. you should be eating. You can use that as a starting point and tailor it from there.

You shouldn't eat fewer than 1200 calories a day and probably could eat around 1500 and still lose, as long as you continue to exercise as well.

mxgirl737
03-14-2008, 12:09 AM
your protein is very low. So are the carbs. For the amount of exercise you are doing...you're going to definitely make yourself sick :(

You need to replenish your blood...give it more carbs and protein after working out. that's what my nutritionist told me anyway...

thecolourblue
03-14-2008, 12:22 AM
What sort of foods are good for carbs/protein but low in fat?

Shy Moment
03-14-2008, 12:23 AM
Grape Tomato

Serving size 85 grams = about 3 oz = about 1 tomato
calories 25
fat 0
carbs 6 grams
fiber 4 grams
Sugar 3 grams
Protein 0

Hope that helps.

zenor77
03-14-2008, 12:35 AM
What sort of foods are good for carbs/protein but low in fat?

Good Carbs

Brown Rice
Oatmeal
100% Whole Wheat Bread
Quinoa (has a good amount of protein too)
Whole Wheat Couscous
Whole Wheat Pasta
Soba Noodles
Basically anything Whole Grain

Low-Fat Protein

Low-Fat Dairy
Boiled/Baked Eggs
Tofu
Edamame
Lean Meats (chicken, fish, etc.)

Also, fat is not the enemy! Some fats are good for you and necessary for your body to function properly. You should be getting 20-35% of your daily calories from good fats (olive oil, nuts, avocados, oily fish.) Otherwise you could end up with joint pain, dry skin, hair loss, etc. if your fat intake is too low.

You definitely want to keep your calories at 1200 or above. Otherwise it's very hard to get all the vitamins and minerals your body needs. You might want to consider taking a high quality multi-vitamin as well.

srmb60
03-14-2008, 12:36 AM
carb? protein?
bread & tuna
potato & cottage cheese
toast & egg
apple & cheese

if you select some favourite carbs and some favourite proteins ... then eat all those tomatoes and salady things you want .... that's not a bad place to start.

zenor77
03-14-2008, 12:45 AM
I forgot about beans! They have protein and carbs! Beans are great sprinkled on top of a salad, in soup, with rice, or in a whole wheat tortilla with salsa. Yum! Plus, you get the benefit of lots of fiber.

Cheree
03-14-2008, 12:45 AM
Sorry, but I think you are going about this wrong. Stop now and get a plan in place before you start trying to lose weight. You could be damaging your health since you don't know how many calories you're aiming for and you don't seem to have a good plan in place. (Just my 2 cents)

thecolourblue
03-14-2008, 12:59 AM
I'm trying to avoid starches and grains right now though

I'll pick up some cottage cheese, and oatmeal, tuna and apples tomorrow

If I took fish oil pills would that count as some sort of "good fat"?

thecolourblue
03-14-2008, 01:01 AM
Sorry, but I think you are going about this wrong. Stop now and get a plan in place before you start trying to lose weight. You could be damaging your health since you don't know how many calories you're aiming for and you don't seem to have a good plan in place. (Just my 2 cents)

What I've been doing is DANGEROUSLY unhealthy.
Are you saying I should go back to eating complete junkfood and stop exercising until I know what to do?

I'm only on day two, and I'm learning right now, I don't see a reason to stop, I'll just lose motivation then.

vdaybaby
03-14-2008, 02:26 AM
664 calories for the entire day is WAY too low...especially if you are working out 2 hours a day!! You would need at least 1,000 if you WEREN'T working out AT ALL...but since you are doing 2 hours a day, you need way more than 664.

Try not to think of it as "veggies and thats it" or "junk food and that's it"
You want to strike a balance. Veggies are not the only good foods out there. I will tell you right now though, if you lose weight too quickly, YOU WILL gain it back EVEN FASTER

kaplods
03-14-2008, 02:51 AM
Eating fewer than 1000 calories, is a sure way to to lose a few pounds quickly, and over the long haul, a sure way to gain weight and destroy your metabolism. The temptation is great, because the payoff is immediate. Who doesn't want to lose weight quickly?

The problem is it is a trap that sets you up to fail. I wasn't born 394 lbs, I dieted my way there. Well into my twenties, I was good at starving myself (better at overeating, but still had plenty of experience with extreme diets). In high school, I lost 75 lbs, with the help of diet drugs and eating only on weekends (I ate huge salads for dinner during the week, but the daily total would always be under 600 calories). I'd exercise until I felt like passing out (which because I wasn't eating, kept getting shorter and shorter as I lost weight).

Weight loss done wrong does not improve health, and no food is healthy in and of itself, but only in the context of everything you are eating (which isn't much) and everything you are doing (sleeping, exercising, stress...). You are not eating healthy. The foods you are choosing would be good choices as part of a balanced diet with sufficient calories, but you're not eating a balanced diet or sufficient calories.

You have other alternatives besides the dangerous (yes dangerous) path you are on, and the dangerous path you were on. There are a lot of roads in the middle. I think you should talk to your doctor and ideally a dietician. If you can't afford to, the health department often has free consultations and free programs.

JoyfulVegGirl
03-14-2008, 08:35 AM
There are lots of people here who are into heavy workouts, and one thing they will all tell you is that you have to eat to fuel those workouts or you will start feeling tired, sluggish, and eventually you'll start to lose muscle mass (which is the opposite of what you want to do for weight loss.)

You have a couple of things going for you, though. The first is that you seem to be very motivated. That's awesome! You just need to find a way to channel that energy and dedication into a solid plan. The second thing you have going for you is that you have all of 3FC to explore for information, and you seem like you have a willingness to learn and do this in a healthy way.

So, first things first, there are a few ways you can go about this. You can follow a plan that limits food choices (like South Beach, for instance), you could find a plan that pre-packages all of your food so you wouldn't have to worry about it, OR (my favorite) you can start keeping a food journal and keeping track of your calories and food choices. It doesn't have to be confusing. Start small. Give yourself a calorie range. For your amount of activity, I wouldn't start below 1400-1600 a day. That might be a bit too high, but the way to tell is to start eating in that range and then see if your weight starts going down at all. If it doesn't then lower it slightly, but don't go below 1200 a day. Another way you might be able to tell is to think back to a typical pre-healthy eating day for you and track the calories for those days. Make sure you factor in the extra exercise you're getting now, and then just lower your calories by 300-500 a day.

There are lots of sites that help you keep track of calories. The Daily Plate is a good one. FitDay is good, but I found the interface a little bit hard to get used to. I use a program called DietPower, and there are a few other ones that keep track for you. Or, you can just look things up yourself and write them down on paper. That might help you learn the calorie content of foods, and help you guess at the ones you have no information for.

Also, there have been a lot of good posts so far about healthy grains and starches. Grains in particular can be very good for you. It's good to keep your portions balanced, and to eat whole grains as much as possible while avoiding the processed stuff. I hardly ever eat bread anymore, but I couldn't live without my oatmeal, couscous or brown rice! Instead of limiting yourself you should be exploring different kinds of food and figuring out what healthy alternatives you actually like. No one food is the enemy; everything in moderation.

You've gotten a ton of information in this thread and it might be a lot to digest all at once. I would hate to see you get discouraged, so just start slow and make sure that the changes you make are ones that you can live with for a long time. Good luck! :)

JoyfulVegGirl
03-14-2008, 08:38 AM
P.S. I got 25 calories in 3 oz or 12 grape tomatoes, not one. Just FYI ;)

Lovely
03-14-2008, 09:23 AM
What I've been doing is DANGEROUSLY unhealthy.
Are you saying I should go back to eating complete junkfood and stop exercising until I know what to do?

I'm only on day two, and I'm learning right now, I don't see a reason to stop, I'll just lose motivation then.

Don't feel discouraged! We all want you to succeed. We just want to make sure you're going to be able to sustain the healthy path that you do choose to take.

Counting calories: This seems like the path you'd like to try out first.

The first thing you want to do is to figure out how many calories you should be eating. This will take a little trial and error, but people have already mentioned a few sites that will give you a rough estimate. You might even post and tell us what calorie range the sites give you.

Once you've figured that out, you'll want to make sure that you're eating a healthy variety of calories. (Vegetables, fruits, lean meats, whole grains, etc.) You seem to have already started with wanting to eat healthier so that's a great thing!!! This is another trial & error, you know the foods that you like/are trying to avoid etc. There are recipes & food suggestions all over the place, so take some time to really search around the site to find things you want. Also, if you're avoiding grains, there may be more suggestions in the Low Carb areas.

Just make sure that your exercise program is sustainable as well. I don't know what your exercise history is (maybe you used to run a lot so 1.5 hours isn't a big deal) but you certainly don't want to get burn out your first week of changing your life.

With that being said, YOU CAN DO THIS!

zenor77
03-14-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm trying to avoid starches and grains right now though

I'll pick up some cottage cheese, and oatmeal, tuna and apples tomorrow

If I took fish oil pills would that count as some sort of "good fat"?

Yes, fish oil is a good fat. Try to make sure the kind you get is from smaller wild ocean fish or is tested for mercury and PCBs. Nordic Naturals and Spectrum are both good brands.

I'm curious as to why you are avoiding grains? I agree that it's good to avoid starchy "white" (refined) carbohydrates, but whole grains are good for you and for weight loss. Regardless of what plan you end up losing weight on your brain needs at least 100g of carbs per day just to function properly.

Shy Moment
03-14-2008, 05:45 PM
Joy
I read the site again lol. It says about 1 tomato. I thought that didn't sound right lol.

thecolourblue
03-16-2008, 04:32 AM
Okay guys, I'm sort of starting to get the hang of this, I've been running every day and my calories haven't been under 1400 a day, and not over 1550.

I've been eating a lot of veggie burgers and salads with some chicken thrown in there. I think I'm finally getting into this "middle ground", though it's taking a lot of restraint to stay away from the "bad foods".

I'm really enjoying the gym though!
:)

thecolourblue
03-16-2008, 04:33 AM
Also: thank you guys so so so much, I'm excited to continue with my journey with you guys, you're all great!

fiberlover
03-16-2008, 03:07 PM
Sounds like you have a much better handle on it now! :bravo:

LaDean
03-17-2008, 01:52 AM
Hi, good for you. sounds like this is for you. i know it helps me .I am losing good. LaDean