Closed Thread

Old 02-23-2002, 12:10 AM   #1  

Default Points for cold medicines?

Hi all,

Anyone know what the points are for one dose of NyQuil or for a cup of TheraFlu? My DH is sick and is wondering.

Thanks for your help!

Jo

193/174/135
Old 02-23-2002, 09:49 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 198/135/152

Height: 5'4"

Please forgive me. That is a sick question. When you are ill, it is about getting well, not about counting points for the medicine. Since there is no calorie information on the packaging, nurse him back to health and forget the points.

Your efforts are very misguided if you are concentrating on POINTS in pharmaceuticals, rather than in food. NO ONE got fat drinking too much nyquil.

Stay well, and take care.
Old 02-27-2002, 12:00 PM   #3  
A princess in the making!

Default cold meds and post

Please let your dh get well. Then go back to counting points. Do not worry about what is the meds. Just use them to get well.
Old 02-28-2002, 12:17 AM   #4  

Goodness, I've never been slapped for asking a question on this board before!

My husband asked me if I knew the points for these medicines, and I thought perhaps someone here did, so I posted the question for him. He has been working very hard and was worried that a mug of Theraflu and a shot of Nyquil could be as much as 10 points.

He certainly wasn't fretting over it or compromising his care, just wanted to be informed. He was taking care of himself and tending to his cold, and I also did everything I could to care for him too.

We are all certainly entitled to our own opinions, but I think it is rude to insult someone or insinuate that their personal weight loss journies are "misguided" because they may differ from yours.

Jo
Old 02-28-2002, 07:13 AM   #5  
A princess in the making!

Jo-
I am sorry. I wanted to delete the post from Leader. I am one of the Moderators but for some reason I could not.

I thought it was rude the answer she gave you. And I wanted to post something nicer for you. I am sorry if I did not come across that way.

People need to remember to use some tact when answering questions that they do not agree with or not answer at all.

I hope your feelings are not to hurt and your DH is better.

Please accept my apologie. Oh and I can't spell today at all.
Old 02-28-2002, 08:48 AM   #6  
Cowboy Up Chick

First off I agree. Do not worry about points for medicines. I know some people get 'crazy' and want points for everything but there is a fact most people don't realize. Your body burns more calories when it is sick trying to heal you.

She may have come off a bit rough but she is right on the money
Old 02-28-2002, 11:19 AM   #7  
Is is spring yet??

As a moderator of this forum I would like to issue a reminder....

Lets all remember to be courteous of others on this message board.

We might not all agree with someone - and that is fine. But we should keep our comments to ourselves.

Thanks!

Tara
Old 02-28-2002, 05:08 PM   #8  

well, nyquil is 10% proof alcohol, and that is around 100 calories for 100ml.
a dose is 30 ml, but most of that is water or other stuff that is not pointed. i would say, if he chugs the whole bottle, it would maybe be a point. but you really shouldn't count it, cuz that stuff tastes awful, and you should have to pay points for awful tasting stuff. my own opinion, of course. :-)

theraflu is basically tylenol/sudafed in liquid form, and i don't think it has much of anything to cause points. but if you have to add sugar or something to make it palatable that's another story.

good luck!

nyquil:
500mg Acetaminophen (pain reliever/fever reducer)
15mg Dextromethorphan HBr (cough suppressant)
6.25mg Doxylamine succinate (antihistamine)
30mg Pseudoephedrine Hydrochloride (nasal decongestant)

Inactive Ingredients:

[Original flavor] Alcohol (10%), citric acid, FD&C yellow no.6 and yellow 10, flavor, green 3, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate.

[Cherry flavor] alcohol (10%), blue 1, citric acid, flavor, high fructose corn syrup, polyethylene glycol, propylene glycol, purified water, red 40, saccharin sodium, sodium citrate.
Old 03-01-2002, 11:47 AM   #9  
Conquering with SBD

I have recently suffered through a few colds, no flu, but the need for something for my throat was high. I should have bought shares in Halls - I look all over for the ones made without sugar.

Does anyone else have suggestions for sugar free lozenges? Halls are the only brand that I have found, so far, but I do use a lot of them when I am suffering from a cold. Any more suggestions would be helpful.
Closed Thread