Alternachicks - Do any songs make you want to lose weight? Weird, I know.

purple kitty
03-12-2008, 07:55 PM
I've recently discovered a band called Faderhead, and their song "Girly Show", for some reason, helps inspire me to lose weight. Not because there is uber thin girls in the video...The song itself. I know it's weird, but are there any song that inspires you to lose weight?

molly135
03-12-2008, 11:03 PM
My friend and I used to bike to a friday night "event" at a local bar. Coincedently at the end of the night they would play this song if you stayed too late - "Fat girls on bicycles".
I think there is a video on youtube.
"huffing/and puffing/and goin real slow" would be in my head the entire ride home.

Cherrygrl
03-13-2008, 12:22 PM
I have a few songs on my Ipod I workout too that inspire me to work harder because when I listen to them on the elliptical I see my self thin and shake'n it on the dance floor..

magicalstasia
03-15-2008, 10:51 PM
For some reason my "thin" song is Lady Marmalade...the version from Moulin Rouge...it just makes me feel like "hey I can do this". Weird I know.

motomom2
03-20-2008, 12:30 AM
For me, bands I fell for due to my love of freestyle motocross inspire me. I guess that is because the "lifestyle" is super hot chicks and rock and adrenaline. So, Big B's Hooligan and Kottonmouth King's Suburban Life are two of my fave work out songs.

h is m
03-20-2008, 11:09 AM
There are some songs that make me want to get up and dance.
Those are the types of songs that make me want to lose weight.
Kind of weird.. But.

havoc
03-21-2008, 01:45 PM
Whatever works, h_is_m, whatever works.

For some reason, Shiny Toy Guns "Le Disko" kicks me in the butt. It's brings out the skinny grrl in me. Now I just have to get rid of the fat girl around her.

purple kitty
03-24-2008, 07:40 AM
Whatever works, h_is_m, whatever works.

For some reason, Shiny Toy Guns "Le Disko" kicks me in the butt. It's brings out the skinny grrl in me. Now I just have to get rid of the fat girl around her.

Ahhhh... I love that song.

witm
03-25-2008, 05:25 PM
My weight loss song is Victoria's Secret by Sonata Arctica... empowering... and has a good beat to run with...

every time I hear it, I feel inspired to hit up the gym

SkinnyGina
04-04-2008, 04:52 PM
Idioteque by Radiohead :)

LittleMoonRabbit
04-04-2008, 05:00 PM
"Shine" by Anna Nalick. Very inspiring- makes me feel beautiful when I listen to it... but there's a line from it that says "Everyone is waiting on your supernova" and I think of it as though everyone is waiting for me to change my body and amaze them by the transformation, lol. I also like the line "Isn't is time you got over how fragile you are?" which speaks to me... like it's saying "Stop thinking you aren't strong enough to do this!"

deathnotronic
04-04-2008, 11:50 PM
For some reason my "thin" song is Lady Marmalade...the version from Moulin Rouge...it just makes me feel like "hey I can do this". Weird I know.

OMG that's on my CD too! I like to walk like a model when I hear that song.

"Upside Down" by the A*Teens (I know, I know) is really good to walk to, it's got the perfect walking beat.

Let's see what else "When You're Around" by Motion City Soundtrack is a good one too.

irishfairy
04-05-2008, 11:42 AM
johnny falls by hedley. black parade by my chemical romance and I lvoe myself today by bif naked all make me want to workout harder!!!

stitchwitch1224
05-04-2008, 10:03 AM
My musical mood changes a lot.

I enjoy music from when I was skinny- 80s and 90s

Sometimes I like hard rock.

Then there is always heavy metal.

???

PrettyPaula
05-04-2008, 12:13 PM
its pretty much anything i love to rock out to... i feel so self conscious when i dance or even drive right now...

hot rock chicks are always skinny rock chicks... i hate it!

Czarria
05-04-2008, 08:20 PM
Witm - you get 20 kudos for mentioning Sonata Arctica. I love you. lol.

;)

No songs in particularly make me want to be skinny, because I don't actually want to be skinny. I want to be healty, and curvy. But, there are songs that make me very energetic and make me want to work out. Course, I usually ignore the craving. I'm working on listening to the inner voice.

GoldieStars
05-05-2008, 04:27 PM
The horrorpops always get me pumped up and motivated, they are full of energy.

Ija
05-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Supermassive Black Hole by Muse has that affect on me. I listen to it on the uphill walk to campus every morning.

Enduring Infinity
05-09-2008, 10:07 PM
"She's Expensive" by Dee (Where my username came from!) "I Kissed a Girl" by Katy Perry, and "Hustler" by Simian Mobile Disco have that effect on me!

GradPhase
05-15-2008, 01:54 AM
For all the heartache and the pain you drove me to
I’ll show you

I’m gonna get you back
I’m gonna make you pay
I’m gonna get you back
I will retaliate

I’m such a genius
I don’t see this turning my way
I guess I’ll put you in a box
And throw the key away
I’ll try to get in shape
Lose some weight, it’s a way
To retaliate, to retaliate
I’m such a genius
I don’t see this any other way
I guess I’ll block you out
Forever in my memory
I’ll try to get in shape
Lose some weight, it’s a way
To retaliate

Retaliate - Start Trouble.

It reminds me of all my ex boyfriends, and those phases where all you want to do is improve yourself to show them what they missed out on by screwing things up. Works for me!

Cate15
06-30-2008, 07:24 PM
When I'm at the gym and any song by the Mountain Goats comes on it reminds me of the guy i'm crushin on. Therefore it makes me more determined to look good and work out harder. I think the songs people listen to have a huge impact on motivation and determination.

Cate15
06-30-2008, 07:25 PM
Supermassive Black Hole by Muse has that affect on me. I listen to it on the uphill walk to campus every morning.

Supermassive Black Hole, plug in baby and The Hand that feeds by NIN are my songs for running on the treadmill. Muse stuff really gets me going.

havoc
07-01-2008, 10:28 AM
Ooooh! NiN is good workout stuff. For me, it's up there with White Zombie/Rob Zombie (I luv "Dagula" on the recumbant cross-trainer) for aggressive "Get outta my way" workout music. If you go back a few (okay, a lot) of years in industrial, Nitzer Ebb's "Murderous" and "Join in the Chant" are really motivating, too.

I've recently fallen for LCD Soundsystem's "Get Innocuous" for power-walking the treadmill. It's the song in the Grand Theft Auto 4 "walking guy" commercial.

missygith
07-05-2008, 07:26 PM
Harder Better Faster Stronger - Daft Punk, I time this song with this killer hill on my walk and by the time Im up it I Feel harder, better, faster, stronger!:lifter:

Nix143
07-08-2008, 09:08 AM
Oh I have loads! And funnily enough a couple are mentioned on here already
Lady Marmalade - I imagine strutting about in the lil costume feeling super powerful
And SuperMassive Blackhole - it's one of those songs that makes you wanna move like a snake, yes? Actually remember Salma Hayek in 'From Dust Til Dawn'? It makes me wanna move like her - no chance of ever looking like her LOL
Princess Superstar - Perfect - now I am not a massive dance music fan, I like the odd track here and there but I have this on my exercise playlist because it makes me smile my ruddy face off when she says 'watch me work it, I'm perfect' - I huff and puff away going DAMN RIGHT I AM! lol

I think loads of it for me is reconnecting with my sexy self. And by that I don't mean throwing it out there for anyone else to get off on. I mean me loving me. Being really happy to be a powerful woman who owns her own body and is really happy with it. It's about being sexually assertive in a way. I'm really into femme power and so much of what I am trying to achieve is to reclaim that part of me that I shut down because I thought I just wasn't good enough. That make sense? To be honest the journey has got me there now, I'm fully back in and loving my body even though I have a way to go to hit target and I won't ever be 'perfect'. But it feels good to finally love the body I have regardless of the lumps and bumps. So any music that makes me wanna strut my stuff like a 2 bit pole dancing floozy feels like food for my soul.

lizziep
07-09-2008, 02:11 AM
Lady Marmalade for me too- but I prefer the Lords of Acid version. In fact they are the band that gets me going when I'm working out.
There's also a Cake song Short Skirt, Long Jacket that I really like.
Anything that has a fast intense beat and makes me feel powerful!

I am getting a little bit bored though... so I might have to check into some of your suggestions.

ollie27
08-20-2008, 11:37 AM
Lady Marmalade for me too- but I prefer the Lords of Acid version. In fact they are the band that gets me going when I'm working out.

i just hopped on this thread to type "anything by Lords of Acid" but you already did that :)

on a similar note anything by Peaches has the same effect

Silverstar33
08-20-2008, 11:44 AM
Harder Better Faster Stronger - Daft Punk, I time this song with this killer hill on my walk and by the time Im up it I Feel harder, better, faster, stronger!:lifter:

Oh! I love Daft Punk!

xYourBelleMortex
09-01-2008, 05:08 PM
Fidelity by Regina Spektor and I'm Ready by Jack's Mannequin. Oh, and Practice makes Perfect by Cute is what we aim for...

and Yeah! by Usher Little Jon and Ludacris.

Ufi
09-05-2008, 01:23 AM
I used to think the lyrics to "Everybody Hurts" said "Don't blow your health if you feel like you're alone ... you're not alone." To me, it was saying, "Don't binge if you're feeling alone because the pain you're wanting to cover up with food is something everyone goes through." I only recently learned that the lyrics are "Don't throw your hand," as in a poker term for giving up. Still a moving song, though.

pocketfulofsunshine
09-18-2008, 04:36 PM
Well yeah I kinda do have those songs too! lol i would say one of them is Some velvet morning by Primal scream ft. Kate Moss.. i mean.. KATE MOSS lol oh and those Agyness Deyn songs.. Lady Gaga's too! Her whole album "The Fame" is perfect for motivation n stuff.. and lasttt - Amy Winehouse's music makes me think about weight loss too but I'm not sure if it motivates me lol

luvja
09-18-2008, 04:52 PM
I'm not an "alternachick", but, deff!.
*T.I. - Whatever U Like.*
I think because when I eventually get slim I secretly want a man to say those exact lyrics to me ;) "I want your body, need your body, long as you got me you won't need nobody" & "I know you ain't never had a man like that, to buy you anything your heart desires like that"... Yeah thats right, boo. ha ha.

twilit tera
09-18-2008, 05:18 PM
Okay, I know it's been played to DEATH and it's the big "underdog taking on the world" song of the past 5 years or whatever, but...

"Allstar" by Smashmouth

needlestuck
09-18-2008, 08:45 PM
I love me some Rancid--particularly Indestructible and Roots Radicals!

jasmine987
10-16-2008, 05:06 PM
This is a great thread I went on Itunes and looked up many songs I had never heard of and even downloaded some!
A few of my favorites that get me motivated are
Get Low - lil John
Maniac- Michael Sembello
Say Yi Yi - Ying Yang Twins
I like the way you move- Outkast
Roses- Andre 3000
Rio- Duran Duran

MissKayytaay90
11-01-2008, 09:10 PM
motley crue and guns and roses. haha i dont know why

MissKayytaay90
11-01-2008, 09:12 PM
Idioteque by Radiohead :)

Ahh I love that song! anything from radiohead is amazing though.

mazza
11-01-2008, 09:47 PM
In This Diary - The Ataris...

I don't know why.

luvmyinnerdemon
11-04-2008, 12:23 PM
There are ton of Linkin Park songs that put me in the mood to start working out, pretty much anything with a heavy but dancy beat, get what i mean?

2coolchicks
11-04-2008, 05:52 PM
William it was Really Nothing by The Smiths. My husbands name is Will and I don't want to be the fat girl referenced in the song. :^:

Someone mentioned the Horrorpops! I love them!

Thighs Be Gone
11-04-2008, 06:16 PM
The song, Dangerous is fun for me. I also like some of Britney Spears. It music that makes me wanna move.

powersmatti
11-21-2008, 01:23 PM
Lady Marmalade is a good one! I have a lot of Blue Man Group on my playlist for the gym. I love the song "x amount of words" by blue october. My bf dumped me 2 weeks ago and that song makes me want to better myself just for me. Great beat too! Hm, what else...let me grab my i-pod lol.

Gorillaz just makes me want to dance. I want to create belly dance/ hiphop routine to some of thier songs.

powersmatti
11-21-2008, 01:24 PM
For the women I recommend the song "Le Disko" by Shiny Toy Guns...oh so inspiring!

powersmatti
11-21-2008, 01:25 PM
I just keep posting!

Stronger by Kanye West.

Luminous
11-21-2008, 03:56 PM
"Shine a Light" - Wolf Parade.
Most Wolf Parade makes me want to move. I've been known to put Shine a Light on repeat and madly dance around to it. And I don't randomly dance around often. I also want to base a book on it but that's another story! "You know our hearts beat time out very slowly/You know our hearts beat time/They're waiting for something that'll never arrive." It reads as depressing but with the music it's kind of an...upbeat depression.

"Fire Eye'd Boy" - Broken Social Scene.
Another good mover. With a fun chorus to sing along to. "Fire eye'd boy give 'em all the slip..."

"In These Shoes" - the late, lamented Kirsty MacColl.
Has some (mangled) Spanish in it too! Plus, it really is about shoes! Doubleplusgood.

"Don't Save Us from the Flames" - M83.
Most M83 makes me want to move.

"Float On" - Modest Mouse.
I liken it to theme to Shine a Light but the message is a bit more upbeat. :p Except for the unfortunate link in my brain of "we all float" with the Stephen King book "It." "All right, don't worry, even if things end up a bit too heavy, we'll all float on." - In a beat-by-beat near-chant.

J-pop makes me move too. "Zankoku na Tenshi no Teize" from Addition (an anime?) is nice. So is lots of Shiina Ringo.

powersmatti
11-21-2008, 07:36 PM
Ok Go has two songs that are great for working out. One is "Invincible" and the other is "Here It Goes Again"

jenosaurus
11-22-2008, 07:19 PM
Oh can I join in too,
for me its anything rnb or hip hop, anything that makes me what to dance. I do hip hop dancing which is my main form of exercise these days, so anything that makes me want to throw some shapes on the floor is enough really lol

Porz2008
11-26-2008, 05:03 PM
Dropkick Murphys are what I tend to listen to when working out, though sometimes it's Corvus Corax. And add me to the list of the Horrorpop lovers! ;)

jandaman
11-28-2008, 01:05 PM
too many puppies-primus.....reminds me when i used to be this skinny slip of a girl in combat boots and daddy's army jacket..awwwwww!
oh, apropos nothing-anything by jill scott makes me want to be a better me

Mudlucious
12-01-2008, 01:02 AM
I have quite a few. Latley I've been feeling This is Halloween by Marylin Manson, and for the past few years I've loved Faster Kill Pussycat~ Paul Oakenfold ft Brittany Murphy

lessthanthreeme
12-01-2008, 03:00 PM
lol this is kinda funny but the Biggest Loser (the show) use to play Celine Dion-Taking Chances and I use to run to the treadmill to that song. :]

JRockSoldier
12-04-2008, 07:20 PM
The song "Jerk it Out" by The Caesars :dancer: :hyper: :goodscale

Vahla
12-13-2008, 05:51 AM
it's strange because my musical tastes tend to heavy metal, loud screamy girly bands and early punk but when I'm exercising it has to be cheesy pop and my favourites for motivation are 'I kissed a girl' by Katy Perry and rather wierdly '(B)itch' by Meredith Brooks.

UrthWurm
12-16-2008, 10:31 AM
I can't really recall any songs that make me feel "thin".. but there are songs that just fill me up from head to toe, make me feel like I can conquer the world; those are the kind of songs that make me glow with joy, I can feel the empowerment of the music. Frick, I miss my mp3 player. *Mourns it's death* Maybe I'll get one for Christmas if I beg. xD

beautiful days
01-02-2009, 03:47 PM
"Cobrastyle" - Robyn - It makes me want to dance... and it reminds me of Kraftwerk... And they're all pretty skinny.

"Do you wanna touch me?" - Joan Jett and the Blackhearts

French music... France Gall, Yelle, Catherine Ferroyer-Blanchard... others.

"Big Women" - GBH.. I just love that song.

redgirl09
01-02-2009, 04:32 PM
Anything by slipknot/The prodigy-they don't make me want to be thin but they do inspire me to move my ***

georgiad
01-03-2009, 06:37 PM
If "Big Girl You Are Beautiful" by Mika or "Fat Bottomed Girls" by Queen comes on when I'm out, I get so embarrassed I need to leave. Especially the Mika song. It's like it's saying "everyone else thinks you're ugly and not worth loving, but even though my sexuality is ambiguous, you're beautiful and I love you". No thanks.

And at the other end of the scale, "Flashing Lights" by Kanye West and "So Rich So Pretty" by Mickey Avalon are about glamorous thin and gorgeous girls who can have everything they want in life. So yeah, those ones.

redgirl09
01-03-2009, 06:39 PM
I so get you with the Mika song!Soooooo patronising!

breathingfumes
01-03-2009, 10:29 PM
the one song that i listen to AND makes me want to lose weight is "pour some sugar on me" because i would love to dance to it.

georgiad
01-04-2009, 01:23 PM
Oooh and "Girls Girls Girls" by Motley Crue just because it is the ULTIMATE pole dancing song and I want to take up pole dancing once I've lost some weight.

redgirl09
01-04-2009, 02:04 PM
Do it!Sorry for thread hijack but i did poledancing last year and it's so much fun!I really want to lose some more weight and get back to it!After the course is over you have a show where you pick your own song to perform to, mine was "Living Dead Girl" by Rob Zombie!
Love it!

nil
01-04-2009, 08:42 PM
Angelspit - Skinny Little ***** (not a joke)