100 lb. Club - Do you take vitamins?

View Full Version : Do you take vitamins?

wendymeows
03-12-2008, 08:42 AM
Do you take vitamins along with your diet plan? I started taking centrums cardio vitamin last week. My dh says I should be taking natural vitamins....I've read pros and cons to both. But I want to hear it from you guys, are you taking a vitamin and if so what kind? :?:

karmuz
03-12-2008, 09:12 AM
I take a multi every day - I feel that I eat a balanced enough diet to get all of my nutrients in without the vitamin supplement but it still makes me feel better to have a backup (plus it does seem to make me feel a little better - since i've been taking a multi, my hair is shiner, my skin is clearer, i have a little more energy, etc)
I work in a natural foods store, and rarely shop at other stores. We have an extensive supplement section, and I tend to gravitate toward the food based vitamins because I am prone to stomach upsets when I take other multis. I tend to rotate between garden of life's living multi (a six a day) rainbow light's women's nutritional system, new chapter's women's and megafood's women's one a day. I usually just buy what ever is on sale because they are all pretty pricey, and some of them are six a day. when i get a six a day, i take half (3 a day) and i rarely get the one a days but it seems to make little difference in how i feel, as long as i am taking some kind of multi. all of these also have added "green foods", and some herbals formulated specfically for women - i don't notice much of a difference but i am a little less uncomfortable when my TOM rolls around (less cramps, bloating, etc)
In addition to my multi, I also take a daily probiotic (and eat a yogurt, lol) because I am prone to general stomach upsets, gas, and yeast infections. this REALLY helps me.

fiberlover
03-12-2008, 09:17 AM
I take a multi from Puritan's Pride every day, plus an extra C, a B complex and a flax seed capsule.

Lovely
03-12-2008, 09:27 AM
I take a multi-vitamin almost every day. Just a generic CVS one.

Merksie
03-12-2008, 10:04 AM
I take "Women's Ultra Mega" multivitamin from GNC.

Beverlyjoy
03-12-2008, 10:26 AM
Hi...yes I take vitamins. The take the CVS brand of Centrum Cardio. My doctor approved highly.

Also, I take Estroven for menopause symptoms and fish oil capsules for good heart health. I eat two T. of ground flax seed everyday, too. All these my doctor has approved too.

BrandNewJen
03-12-2008, 10:36 AM
I take a multivitamin every day (ABC plus from Puritan's Pride)... I'm gonna start taking Vitamin K too...

I NEVER took vitamins--- however, I take an Alli pill with dinner (so not the full force 3 a day...) and since Alli blocks some fat absorption, it also interferes with absorption of A,D,E, and K vitamins. So my multivitamin more than covers me if I'm missing them... but it didn't have enough Vitamin K in it (it had SOME... more than most other multi's out there--- but unless I eat broccoli, I rarely get even close to the recommended amount in my diet, and that's even if it's getting absorbed properly)

If you have high triglycerides, I recommend Fish Oil (gross sounding, huh?) My dad had CRAZY high triglycerides... fish oil was the only thing that worked to bring them down.

RealCdn
03-12-2008, 10:52 AM
I take the Women's Ultra Mega multivitamin from GNC as well. I also take calcium, since I can't stomach milk/yogurt etc. (too much cheese and ice cream will generally upset me as well, but I can tolerate in smaller amounts). I also take fish oil/flax oil capsules as I don't eat fish.

wendymeows
03-12-2008, 10:58 AM
What is the flax oil/seed for? I seen alot of it in the vitamin department but was not sure of the benefit.

fiberlover
03-12-2008, 11:09 AM
Fish oil and flax seed oil are taken for Omega fatty acids.

I like the flax because I always get fishy burps from the fish oil capsules - yuck!

FB
03-12-2008, 11:11 AM
I take generic Prenatal vitamins, although I'm not pregnant nor plan to be any time soon. My lady parts doc recommended continuing them after birth- he knows it's been 4 years since birth! I also add in ester-c and flaxseed oil capsules.

ChunkyDunker
03-12-2008, 11:52 AM
I take a womens' multi, a calcium/mag/vit D, flax oil, fish oil and milk thistle.

kaplods
03-12-2008, 12:16 PM
I take a multi-vitamin, niacin, folic acid, calcium, vitamin D, vitamin C, and alpha-lipoic acid, and fish oil.

The multi-vitamin, because my primary care doctor recommended it during dieting, as "insurance."

The niacin was prescribed by my primary care doctor to raise my good cholesterol.

The folic acid, prescribed by my neurologist for the fibromyalgia fatigue.

The calcium because I don't generally eat much dairy.

The vitamin D, was prescribed by an endocrinologist last winter. It was a short-term, prescription course to address a deficiency that was causing fatigue and leg cramps. I was having symptoms again this winter, so I just started the vitamin D on my own. I've been reading that vitamin D deficiency might be linked to autoimmune deficiency, so I'm thinking of continueing it, and will talk to my doctor more about that at my next appointment.

the vitamin C, I generally only take on days that I do not eat fruits and vegetables with high levels of vitamin C (citrus, bell and hot peppers, etc...)

the alpha-lipoic acid was recommended by my doctor to see if it boosted weight loss. I'll give it another month, but so far, I'm not very impressed, and doubt that it's necessary.

The fish oil (for omega 3's) I began after I had to stop using relafen for arthritis (when I discovered it was causing my asthma and other respiratory issues). There's a good deal of research regarding fish oil successfully reducing inflammation and pain for arthritis, and the heart benefits are a nice side benefit.

I think that it's important, especially if you're on medications, have specific health concerns or aren't very familiar with the potential dangers and side effects of vitamin overdose, to work with your doctor regarding supplements. A daily multi-vitamin is probably safe for nearly everyone, but when you start adding in specific vitamins, or start taking megadoses, especially of the fat-soluble vitamins, you start risking vitamin overdoses, which can be dangerous, even fatal.

hautbois
03-12-2008, 12:18 PM
I take a prenatal vitamin and will continue until my child-bearing days are over.

LindseyLouWho
03-12-2008, 03:28 PM
I take a Flintstones vitamin, simply because that's what I had lying around and it didn't have any Chromium in it... though when they're gone I'm going to see if I can find one that doesn't have any hydrogenated oils in it (in a vitamin! Sheesh!). Along with that, I take an Omega 3 complex twice a day (fish, flax, and borage oils with lemon oil so it doesn't result in fishy burps... at least not as badly), the Walmart generic Citracal, and a 1000mg of Vitamin C.

Jen2008
03-12-2008, 05:35 PM
I take a generic multi-vitamin with extra B-complex and C as needed (like if I have a cold, feel sluggish, etc.), and take flax oil capsules to get some omega 3s (b/c I don't eat seafood, limiting those options a little bit). The vitamins make me feel noticeably different during the day, especially when I need that pick-me-up from the extra b-complex vitamins. I don't know if it's them or more psychological, but hey... they work. :)

Gela
03-12-2008, 05:48 PM
I take a generic multivitamin, calcium supplement, fish oil (theragran brand, no fishy taste at all), and a sublingual vitamin b-12 I got at Trader Joes. I think the b-12 has helped with my energy levels.

DollyR
03-12-2008, 06:16 PM
I take the "Women's Ultra Mega" from GNC. I also take folic acid, garlic, B12(This one was doctor recommended because of my blood work last time I was there.)and a calcium. I have the beginnings of osteoporosis.....so I figure the alcium would help.

I also eat one yogurt a day and drink cranberry every other day because of the e coli infection I had last summmer and fall. I never want a UTI that bad again in my life.

:DTMI??? :D

PaulaM
03-12-2008, 11:25 PM
I take Centrum Silver (for old bats); calcium, Vitamin D, a baby aspirin, fishoil capsules and try to remember to sprinkle flaxseed over things cause it has now been shown to help prevent breast cancer. Now that I'm this age I am a lot more health conscious than ever before. Vitamin D is really talked about these days in cancer prevention as well. Plus my Mom has macular degeneration so I'm very conscious about getting enough dark greens as well as the vitamins.

wendymeows
03-12-2008, 11:31 PM
Is it true that your supposed to take vitamins 2 hours apart from any other medicine you are taking?

blueyedlvrgirl
03-13-2008, 02:53 PM
There are certain medications that have decreased potency in the presence of minerals that are found in most multi-vitamins. You may want to discuss this possibility with your dr or pharmacist to be sure this doesn't apply to the medications and vitamins that you take.

Healthy Mama
03-13-2008, 04:58 PM
Oh boy do I!

Green+ Multi by Genuine Health - excellent product. It is a whole foods greens supplement with a full dose multi-vitamin added. You mix it with water and drink in the AM on empty stomach. Love it!

Magnesium Citrate - 600mg (to break down & prevent kidney stones)
Vitamin B Complex - 50mg ( ditto)
Evening Primrose Oil - eczema
Fish Oil - NutraSea brand - heart, brain, skin health

AutumnHarvest
03-14-2008, 03:38 AM
I take a B-complex.

gr8smyl99
03-14-2008, 08:10 AM
I'm a Shaklee girl!!

And I wouldnt take anything synthetic, thats for sure. I've seen so many studies where it shows that non-natural vitamins don't even get absorbed, but pass through your digestive system whole, since they take so much more time to break down.

Anyway - I take a multi with iron - b-complex - lecithin (which helps break down fat - woohoo!!) - and calcium.

kirdito
03-14-2008, 09:42 PM
Yup, I take a multi, a B complex, Fish oil and Garlic. My DH tells me that I am sweating garlic at night. Nice.

LisaF
03-14-2008, 11:46 PM
I definitely take vitamins, and whether or not they're natural has never really been a concern of mine. I take the generic of One-A-Day Woman. I chose that one specifically because it doesn't have iodine, which I try to avoid because I'm hypothyroid. I also take calcium/magnesium (again because of thyroid stuff), iron (I'm slightly anemic), and acidopholous.

Lisa

Pita09
03-15-2008, 09:49 AM
I take a multi, B-complex, calcium with magnesium, vitamin D, E, C, folic acid, and fish oil.

mj5
03-15-2008, 07:43 PM
I take a multivitamin, calcuim, vitamin D, and folic acid.

moon fairy
03-16-2008, 08:14 PM
i just finished my bottle of generic equate weight loss supplement vitamins. someone who i know (a martial artist for goodness knows how many years and who only eats RAW food) has said that all generic brands (or any you find in a wal-mart type of store) are no good because they're all synthetic. he recommended getting all natural and/or organic ingredient vitamins. i told him i would try it once i finished my bottle.

as of yesterday i purchased greens+ multi which claims to have "all natural products". i've only read rave reviews so i'm hoping to see a difference sometime soon. i also purchased "absolute lean team" which includes "abs+ and lean+" (from the same company...genuine health). for these two supplements, i will only use until i lose my last 3 lbs because i seem to be having trouble getting rid of my muffin top. on top of this i take omega 3 vitamins, and yes...there is a fish burp, but it's just for about the first 5 min or so. i don't really get them anymore after that.

right now, i have to figure out a schedule as to when i'm going to take them because i want to take each one separately so as to not undermine each one's effect.

FresnoBeeDude
03-16-2008, 09:23 PM
When I was first told I should incorporate a multi-vitamin in my diet, I started to take the One-A-Day's. Then I found a bottle of generic multi-vitamins at a canned food discount store (the kind of store where when the product is gone, it's GONE - discontinued rejected items). One-A-Day came out with a energy formula, so with a 1/2 bottle of that generic stuff left, I gravitated to the energy stuff. At this point I would only use the generic stuff if I ran out of the energy stuff, and it was days before payday.

Now, I am using a GNC Mega Men's Sport formula. Because it is somewhat pricey, I use it sparingly. The days that I KNOW I will workout (cardio and/or weight training), I will take 1 tablet at breakfast (ladies, if you use the GNC stuff, read the nutritional label, a serving size is actually 2 tablets). I then take the remaining tablet after my workout. Supposedly when we sweat, we lose a lot of minerals. Arnold Schwarzenegger recommends in his BodyBuilding Encyclopedia to take a supplement after working out as well. If I don't plan to work out, but I need the extra oomph to make it through a day, I will take the One-a-Day. If the day is scheduled to be a complete lazy day, like today, I will take the generic.

I also take a Omega-3 capsule at breakfast and dinner. I am debating if I want to continue this. I have read that this Omega-3 aids in dieting, but is actually harmful in bodybuilding. Evidently it causes inflammation in the muscles. I need to do more research and soul-searching before I come to a decision.

On workout days I also take a DHEA tablet beforehand. Also, GNC came out with a X12 (supposedly gives you the extra oomph in caffeine form, and supposedly burns "12x" more calories before/after a workout - jury is still out on that for me).

Lastly, I will have a "coffee smoothie" for breakfast. This consists of a cup of water, 23g powdered milk, 1 scoop whey protein, 2 scoops of instant coffee, splenda, ice cubes. After a workout I will make a similar smoothie, but using a whey protein MASS (http://www.amazon.com/TwinLab-Percent-Protein-Vanilla-5-Pound/dp/B000GCAVL0) powder found at a vitamin world (did not link to vitamin world, as I could not find it on their site, bought it at a local store). I will substitute the coffee for de-caf instant coffee.

Also, on workout days I will take 2 Glucosamine MSM tablets for my joints (for mild arthritis.)

Lastly, on cardio days, I will drink a glass of OJ afterwards, to prevent late night charlie horses (high in potassium)

Darkblue
03-20-2008, 11:20 PM
I take a Centrum multi-vitamin once a day, along with a fish oil capsule. Never thought to look for hydrogenated oils in a vitamin!