Old 03-11-2008, 01:26 PM   #1  

Default I'm thinking of trying this

Hi Everyone,
After spinning out of control with my eating and tired of specific diets, this seems to make the most sense. I'm just reading thru the threads and making sure before I dive into something I'll never finish...again....
I have a fitday account, so that should help.
do you all just count calories? or do you factor in things like fats etc?

Diana
didi123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:38 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 205/168/150

Height: 5'4"

I use the calorie king program which counts it all for me,, but yes i count 100% calories I also try to keep my fat count below 30 g a day also and try to keep my protein up to 100 g a day which is hard but you know gotta build those muscles!

GOOD LUCK i really love calorie counting...

You know a herseys kiss is about 25 calories? Makes it nice that way i can have alittle piece everyday!
Goldm00n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #3  
Moderating Mama

S/C/G: 295/200/175

Height: 5' 8"

My main goal is to count calories...anything I do above and beyond that is "icing on the cake" (so, for example, I consider myself "on plan" if I am arond my calorie goal, even if I didn't meet some of my other smaller goals for fat or protein intake). I found these things evolved naturally...start with calories, and the quality of your diet will automatically improve because you'll be looking for ways to get more food with fewer calories, and will therefore gravitate toward lower fat, higher-veggie meals.

FitDay has been an excellent resource for me.
mandalinn82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:49 PM   #4  
TBL Red Team Member

S/C/G: 132/129/120

Height: 5'4.5"

I pretty much only count calories, but I try to aim for healthy foods. That is, I would never have a bag of chips for dinner, even though I know it would be the same cals as a chicken breast and veggies. In general I try to eat a balanced diet, though I don't really look at too many numbers beyond calories. I won't touch artificial sweeteners, which definitely helps. If you just count calories but don't avoid artificial sweeteners, you could be chugging diet coke all day but fooling yourself into thinking you're being healthy.
Scenestealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:53 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 34% b.f./31.1%/25%

Height: 5'7"

HI,
Everyone has a different opinion. If you get 10 replies you will get 10 ways of doing something.

After lots of research this is what has worked for me:

I use fitday. I do track my carbs, protein, and fat.

I do moderate carbs about 30% somedays as low as 25% some days as high as 35% Most of my carbs come from green veggies, other veggies, berries, oranges and oatmeal.

30 -35% protein and the remainder good fats from olive oil, nuts, avocados, etc.

Calories my 3 low days 1700 - 1800.

calories my high day 2000.

3 low days then 1 high day.

My first two or three meals are the highest in calories, last two the smallest in calories and carbs(only veggies no starchy carbs in the afternoon evenings)
sharonrr1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 03:06 PM   #6  

thanks Everyone!!!
I've just been to Border's and picked up a calorie counter book I can fit in my pocketbook.....
I hope to see you around..
Wish me luck!!

Diana
Old 03-11-2008, 04:09 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

Height: 5'6"

I track lots of things but as everyone has suggested just start wtih the basics and keep to a calorie count.

As time goes by you will want to tweek your diet to get optimal performance but how much and how strick you should be varies.

I use DietPower software and it easily tracks everything for me. I target calories around 1400-1500, my nutrient % goal is 25% Fat/ 20% Protein /55% Carbs.

I also track fiber - minimum 40g and sodium- I try to stay close to 2300 mg.

I don't hit these numbers each and every day but pay attention to averages overtime.

Best of luck and welcome!

Lori

Last edited by lorilove; 03-11-2008 at 06:23 PM. Reason: revise fat %
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 04:18 PM   #8  

thanks Lori....
You've done great!!!! How long has it taken you to lose 81 lbs? Have you always just counted calories?????
Old 03-11-2008, 06:22 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

I am 4 days away from my exactly 1 year since starting my diet.

I lost 94lbs in the past (exact same plan) but life got in the way so I am back for a second go around. I am almost exactly on pace with the last time I lost weight.

I consider myself good at losing weight when I put my mind to it. I am lousy at work/life balance, managing stress and not letting life get in the way. Lets hope this is the last time! I can only do this so many times in a lifetime

Lori
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 09:22 PM   #10  
Stressed out Mom/Student

S/C/G: 194/184/145

I can only keep track of one number at once so I just count calories. But I do try to eat only "good fats".
doubtingJulia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 07:46 AM   #11  

Lori, that's still amazing..you at least got right back on track
I understand about only doing it so much during a lifetime, but if we don't keep trying we'll never get there!! You are an inspiration to me!!
Hi Julia....I'll have to check out your blog!!

Well....I'm going to start today by tracking what I eat. I've been hitting the vending machine daily here at work which is soooooo bad. At least if I'm now tracking calories, if I do visit that dreadful machine, I'll just add it to my calories for the day.

I'm so excited to "get back to basics"...now if only I could motivate myself to workout...we have a gym at home, now all I have to do is use it
Old 03-12-2008, 11:49 AM   #12  
Oh Me Oh My

S/C/G: 196/192/140

Height: 5'6" - I am shrinking!

Hello - I did WW Flex for about 6 months and all I did was yo-yo. Now I am counting calories which is much much easier to do.

Just about everything you buy has a calorie and serving count so you can pretty much "count" on that! Ha ha - I made a funny.

ANYway, good luck and we are all here if you need us!
2old2quit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 12:16 PM   #13  

thanks 2old2quit....
I really think this will be the weigh to go....haha..now I made a funny...
Anyway...you're right, everything has calorie/serving counts and it just makes more sense. If I feel like I can't have something, it makes me want it more and that's why I've failed before.
This way..I can just adjust my calories if I want that "special" something
Old 03-12-2008, 01:18 PM   #14  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I also count only calories but I try to be conscious of my fiber and protein intake as well. I write it down on paper and add it all up and write it down in a journal in the evenings. I would try to set a calorie "goal" for yourself. A daily one works well for a lot of people.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 04:16 PM   #15  

thanks peachcake...

As you all can see...I've been a member of 3Fatchicks since 2003...
am I EVER gonna lose weight????