100 lb. Club - The 100 lb Club Sugar-Free Thread!!

Jen415
03-11-2008, 10:40 AM
Hi y'all! This thread is in support of those of us at the 100 lb Club trying to avoid sugar in all forms.

Today is Day 2 for me being sugar free. So far it's not been bad. I am hoping I won't have any bad headache withdrawls like in the past. BUT--if I do, I just take some OTC pain meds and push on! I know my body feels better when it is detoxed from sugar.

Feel free to join in!!

missingmyerica
03-11-2008, 10:47 AM
I'm so glad to see people getting away from sugar. I swear it's the key to weight loss or at least it has been for me. Cutting out processed foods and bread has also helped me to feel so much better. I used to get migraines twice a week and now I only rarely get one during my TOM. Good luck! It gets easier day by day.:hug:

mezmerize
03-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Just popped in to send some:dust:

bluex
03-11-2008, 11:14 AM
You get used to it! Don't give up.

I can tell now when there's sugar the second it goes in my mouth. This is particularly true with some sauces that are in different food. I will get one taste and say, this has sugar in it, and I pass it around for opinions.

This year, I shopped for valentine's treats for my students and looking at all the candy, I realized, I don't want any of it. There are treats you can still have, that aren't full of sugar or carbs!

SandiCO
03-11-2008, 11:19 AM
Sugar, Diet Soda and Caffeine are the WORST! If I touch the stuff, I can't control my appetite.

pamatga
03-11-2008, 11:47 AM
I am with you 100% of the way. Ironically, I started South Beach on January 1st and as I began reading labels and looking for lower sugar (as the plan suggests) it just evolved naturally into no sugar. I am not saying that South Beach is no sugar! However, it seemed like the more that I removed sugar and, of course, its other "pals" like white flour and processed, packaged foods, the less I needed it and actually the less I wanted it. If someone would have told me that I would be saying this six months ago, I would have told them are you sure you are talking about me???

I realized that if you make it from scratch, when you can, you do have a choice about whether to add sugar or not. And, I chose not to!

The more I do this, the more I swear I am finding products "out there" to support my choice. It is amazing!

I agree with blue, after you have been away from the taste of sugar a couple of things happen 1) you can almost immediately taste sugar in whatever you take the first bite of 2) without it, almost all of my cravings for extra food disappear---pouf, gone!!

I think, this is a great idea, and I hope we can keep this going strong.

Thanks, again, Jen415!! You rock!!:carrot:

Jen415
03-11-2008, 04:26 PM
So cool to see you folks here!

I am utterly amazed at how much hidden sugar in all forms is in processed stuff! I definitely want to avoid it as much as possible, so I am reading every label!

For those of you that are sugar free, what salad dressing do you eat? I know there's lots in some of them!

DCchick
03-11-2008, 04:52 PM
So cool to see you folks here!

I am utterly amazed at how much hidden sugar in all forms is in processed stuff! I definitely want to avoid it as much as possible, so I am reading every label!

For those of you that are sugar free, what salad dressing do you eat? I know there's lots in some of them!

If you have a Whole Foods or Trader Joe's by you, they have a ton of yummy sugar free salad dressings. Also try making your own (they usually taste better). I like making either: balsamic vinegar, olive oil, dijon mustard, salt/pepper, garlic, and whatever herbs if you want or fresh lemon juice, garlic, salt, olive oil

xGurlyGrlx
03-11-2008, 04:56 PM
I am also sugar free! I can taste sugar in things immediately also! So weird.

I make my own dressing with olive oil, lemon juice, and fresh garlic. Sometimes I add a little balsamic too. I also use Trader Joe's Goddess dressing and Tuscan Italian dressing. Both pretty good!

julzchiki
03-11-2008, 06:49 PM
Being inspired by Laurie Dawn's thread to cut sugar out of my life, I'm starting my sugar detox today. Just a short time ago, after lunch, I was desiring something sweet. My coworker announced that there were cookies in the conference room. Instead of following her, I thought about how I had cookies in my cabinet. So I reached in and took 3 out. But then I remembered Laurie Dawn’s post so I got online and read everyone else’s responses and desperation for getting rid of sugar from our eating habits. I put the cookies away in their boxes and I haven’t touched them since. I do have a little feeling right now of “feeling empty”. I don’t know why I feel like this, they’re only cookies, but I sort of have a “deprived” feeling. How do I get past this first step of feeling deprived because I didn’t eat the cookies? I’m not worried about eating them right now, but I’m worried about later on today when I’m approached with other sweets. Will I have the same willpower?

One of my coworkers has lost a lot of weight. I don’t know the exact diet she went on, but I do know she doesn’t eat sugar. She told me if I’m going to do a “detox” from sugar that I should cut fruit out of my diet too. See, we have this offsite conference next week which means “lots and lots of processed foods” so I’m worried about temptations on that day. I was thinking about bringing fruit with me in case I crave something sugary. She basically said I should not.
I’d thought about taking a “one day break” from detoxing but another friend said I might as well forget it because if I stop, I have to start over again.
So, my question is how do you deal with these life situations (sometimes unexpected) where you may be encountered with many temptations but still stay on track and still feel satisfied (not deprived). And, I’ve noticed that sometimes when I do deprive myself, I end up binging on even more food later on in the day or week. How do I break this self-destroying habit?

xGurlyGrlx
03-12-2008, 03:44 PM
I think your co-worker may have suggested you not bring fruit because it might be a trigger food for her. Some people get bad cravings after eating fruit and she may be one of them. I don't think you should cut fruit out all together, but then again, I am not just doing a detox. I don't eat sugar - period. Granted, I might eventually have one item every now and then...but haven't yet. I can't just give up fruit forever...I don't think it would be healthy. You might want to try fruit with a lower glycemic index and see how you feel. When I want something sweet...I make a sugar free treat. I sometimes eat greek yogurt with agave nectar and it satisfies my cravings. It WILL get easier! :)

jillybean720
03-12-2008, 03:56 PM
I can't say I'm 100% sugar free, but I've cut back on it a lot, and the only kinds I do eat I try to keep to a minimum and keep natural. I do eat fruit, and I've started adding back in some 100% whole grain products, but I don't eat anything with HFCS.

I make my own salad dressings using Splenda as a sweetener. I am going to start experimenting with agave nectar, erythritol, and stevia in an effort to become less dependent on Splenda.

lastfatyear
03-12-2008, 04:22 PM
Sugar-free here too!

A while back I cut out sugar, white flour, fried foods and buffets (challenged myself to do it for a month and actually made it but didn't stick with it.)

I dropped 14.5 pounds in one month just doing this and really not watching anything else.

So, dh & I decided three days ago to do it again. I already feel so much better! And hope for a good loss again. I've been stuck at this weight for a while... because of sugar!

Jen415
03-12-2008, 04:44 PM
Yay! So good to see more folks working on the sugar demon!

I had a near miss today! I had stopped at a 7-11 to go to the bathroom and was THIS CLOSE to getting a candy bar. Instead I got an Atkins Advantage Bar that only has 1 g sugar in it according to the wrapper. I know there are sugar alcohols in it, but it is better than a sugar-laden candy bar!

Sandi
03-12-2008, 04:45 PM
I am not completely sugar free, but I have started with obvious sweets. I have pretty much cut them out completely. (They used to be OK as long as I counted the calories). But not anymore. I do notice that I crave so much less without them.

AT some point I will start looking at labels, but right now it's baby steps.

Jen415
03-12-2008, 04:47 PM
Baby steps work! Cutting out the obvious stuff first is a great place to start!

Purplefirefly
03-12-2008, 05:03 PM
Today is my first day back to not eating sugar again...so hope you all have room for one more here :) It hasn't been too hard today, but I have worked through temptations. There is no sugar in the house, I stopped buying it a long time ago, but my son gets candy at preschool everyday, but when is bad and gets sticks pulled I don't let him have it. Today he had all 5 sticks pulled, and I know that candy is in his backpack. I have been eating it when he doesn't get it, telling myself "it's just one tiny little piece" but it gives me horrible cravings and I have that eating rampage feeling the rest of the day. I have not opened his backpack because I know it's in there and I have to somehow not talk myself into eating it. I think I'll just give it to my daughter real quick since she's home now...just have her stand there while I open the bag and immediately hand it to her. it would be easier for me if my son would just be good every day and then it wouldn't be an issue, he'd be eating it before we even got home!

I also have to avoid pasta and bread, though I don't like bread much anyway. Pasta of any sort, even the whole wheat kind, is just like sugar to me, I go way overboard and get cravings. I can have whole grain bread and feel good, but not the "white" whole grain kind.

julzchiki: I think you have to find out what your trigger foods are for yourself. I can eat fruit and not have cravings at all, everyone will have different triggers. Maybe try some fruit on a day you're not having a lot of cravings and see what happens for you. If you think it will help to take it, then do it! Your friend is trying to help I know, but you have to find your own way, what works for you will be different from someone else. I also buy sugar free things sometimes to substitute when I am really having cravings...mostly things with splenda. I also eat nonfat yogurt (with splenda), cheesesticks, and little carrots for snacks. It's good to have fresh veggies sometimes, I can munch away on them all day and it doesn't set me back...I don't count calories from fresh veggies, so a "freebie" salad is always there for me if I am hungry and out of calories, or just needing to munch at something. But, I think you have to just learn to get through certain circumstances without ruining your plan. It takes committment, NOT WILLPOWER, true committment will get you through.

Jen2008
03-12-2008, 05:28 PM
I wouldn't mind trying to cut back on sugars. I don't think I'd ever cut out natural sugars like in fruit though. My mother is diabetic, as were both of my grandfathers, so I know it's something I should watch. While I don't eat sugary foods often, when I do get a craving, I can definitely overdo it. What are some of your favorite snack foods to substitute for sugary ones, especially when you're having a craving? I'm big on substitution, and it works for me, so I'm all ears if you have suggestions that might help me get on that track. :)

Purplefirefly
03-12-2008, 07:29 PM
What are some of your favorite snack foods to substitute for sugary ones, especially when you're having a craving? I'm big on substitution, and it works for me, so I'm all ears if you have suggestions that might help me get on that track. :)

substitution works for me as well, or I'd never be able to give it up! I like Breyers no sugar added ice cream (still have to watch calories though), SF jello and pudding cups...I had to get used to the taste of the jello, and still don't like it real well, but the SF pudding tastes just like the real thing to me. I like sugar free cool whip on either, or try SF jello mixed with SF whipped cream and canned fruit cocktail (in water or 100% fruit juice, with splenda or plain water)...I make a thing of that up when cravings are hitting and put it in fridge overnight and kids love it as well. I make the jello, then just stir in the cool whip and fruit, breaking the jello up so it's a big mess...yum!

I cannot eat the sugar free cookies, for some reason I have the same issues stopping with those and they still give me cravings. They are just too good I guess? I'm interested in hearing others ideas on this! I know some eat real dark chocolate, but I unfortunately only like the smooth milky light chocolate.

Skinny4baby
03-12-2008, 09:55 PM
Please HELP! I just posted a thread on needing to give up sugar. I do so great with only eating when I am truely hungry...but my weightloss is soooo slow. :( I just kinda feel a panic when I restrict food in any way. But I know I feel an inner guide (God) directing me to completely give up sugar.

Any tips? I have done so good...I am so strong-willed...I just can't seem to kick the sugar. I think one thing for me also..I don't use/like artificial sweetners..so sugar free goodies would be out for me also.

PaulaM
03-12-2008, 11:18 PM
Strangely, sugar is not a problem for me. I don't think I have a sweet tooth at all. Unfortunately I do have a carb issue, big time. I've been switching to all whole grain stuff, brown rice etc for the last few months and it wasn't that hard. I would always pick chips or crackers over cookies. Of course those aren't good for you either! I wish I could be like my husband, he only eats to stay alive, has never had a craving! Life is not fair LOL

LaurieDawn
03-13-2008, 01:19 AM
I put the cookies away in their boxes and I haven’t touched them since.

Thank you for your kind words about my post. I would strongly urge you to throw the cookies away! I used to have such guilt feelings about getting rid of food until I realized that, eventually, I will get rid of it anyway. Whether I toss it in the trash or toss it in my mouth, it's not doing anyone any good. It's just a matter of trying to limit the bad.

As for the fruit, I don't binge on it, and since it tends to be full of fiber and nutrients, I am choosing not to exclude it. Of course, we each have to make our own choice, but the reality is that if we read enough books and talked to enough people and chose not to eat anything that someone thought was bad for us, there would be nothing left to eat! Surely, that would be worse.

Good luck to all of us in dealing with our sugar issues!

Jen415
03-13-2008, 01:11 PM
LaurieDawn: You are right, if we avoided EVERY food folks thought was bad for us, we'd be skinny 'cuz we're starved! LOL No one I know got fat eating fruit, either! :)

Okay y'all, due to my bad lack of planning I ended up eating junk last night! So I have started over from today.

pipernoswiper
03-13-2008, 02:22 PM
i used to eat 2 jumbo boxes of hot tamales everynight and 2-3 bags of jolly ranchers a day. and anything else candy like i could get my hands on. honestly i cant believe i'm not diabetic. but then i quit, got a little moody, and a couple of headaches later the desire to eat sugar is gone. i now get my sugar from fruit (never knew how sweet it really is!).
feeling much better now. goodluck

SoulBliss
03-13-2008, 02:31 PM
I don't eat sugar! ;) Good to see others who are avoiding it too.

LaurieDawn
03-13-2008, 05:32 PM
Avoiding sugar is a vegan thing, right, Soulbliss? 'Cuz they use animal bones to make the sugar or something? I don't remember why sugar is not vegan, but I have heard something about it.

It's finally warm enough to walk at my house, so my daughter and I walked the two blocks to the park this morning. I saw some Skittles on the ground, all squished and wet from the melting snow, and I had to stop myself from wanting to pick them up. How disgusting is that? I didn't really want to eat them, but it was like a compulsion. Days One and Two were fairly easy, but Day Three is kicking my butt!

Schmoodle
03-13-2008, 07:25 PM
julzchicki, there are a couple of ways you can go about reducing or getting rid of sugar. You can cut back, cut out certain things, or do a detox. I did a detox because I was on South Beach plan. One advantage to it is that you lost the cravings for sweet stuff. Yes, it's hard to believe but it's true. I would never have believed it myself before I did it. The first few days are tough, but once you are through that it will really get much easier. The reason to avoid refined sugars is because it sends your blood sugar very high very fast, your body pumps out insulin to deal with the sugar, which makes your blood sugar levels go too low, and then you end up starving and craving something else sweet to get your sugar levels back up. That is a very non-scientific explanation based on my understanding of the process.
But by the same token, alcohol, and refined starches do the same thing to blood sugar levels, so you may want to avoid them also.
This is why on South Beach you don't eat any sugar, alcohol, or anything made with refined flours, and during the detox phase you also avoid fruit. I don't own stock in South Beach and am not pushing that plan, it's just the one I'm familiar with. I know Atkins and Sugarbusters deal with this issue too.
It truly is about finding what works for you personally. I wish you luck!

LaurieDawn
03-14-2008, 01:28 AM
Day Three gone! And I do have to confess that when I made my commitment, I really meant candy, cookies, cake, high-sugar cereal, etc., as well as white flour. I eat a low-calorie teriyaki tuna steak that I love, and that has some sugar in the sauce. I also eat protein bars sometimes, and they have some sugar in them as well. When I realized that, I thought about giving them up, but at this point, I don't feel the need to be a purist, especially since I don't use sugar substitutes. So, my commitment is to avoid high sugar foods, especially those with no nutritional value. Maybe I'll get more hard-core later. Maybe not.

So, given those parameters, I have finished day 3 successfully! I saw some chocolate raspberry Special K bars, and I was really tempted because that's my absolute favorite flavor combination, they were on sale for a good price and they have fairly low calories, but sugar was the second or third ingredient. So I just said no. That's something, right?

jillybean720
03-14-2008, 08:34 AM
I went off plan the past 2 days (planned to be off plan--March 12 was that one-year anniversary of the day Jeff proposed to me, and March 13 was the 4-year anniversary of the first time we met in person). I'm back on today, though. I'm about to go make myself some egg whites (I would typically eat the whole egg, but I'm at work, so I just bought a carton of egg beaters for the sake of convenience) with some 2% fat cheese and turkey sausage. I'm thinking of putting it on a whole wheat English muffin, but I'm contemplating whether I should try to avoid carbs as much as possible to recover from the past 2 days.

What's weird for me is that I really don't get sugar cravings often at all. I crave fatty foods MUCH more often (greasy chips, heavy cheesecake, anything with LOTS of gooey melted cheese, etc.). It's really easy for me to pass on things like cookies, candy, cake, most pastries (except those cheese danishes--I'm a sucker for cream cheese), sodas, sugary juices, and things like that. So when I reduce my sugar/carb intake, it is purely for the health and weight loss benefits, not to help me to overcome cravings. It does make me feel less sluggish, though, which I love.

julzchiki
03-14-2008, 12:12 PM
I get this thread through my email and last night I replied only to find my reply never got posted. Does anyone else get the thread through email? I'm wondering if I just click on reply if it will get posted or if I need to do something else to get it there. How very strange! Does anyone know about this sort of thing?

I typed up a whole response yesterday but now I'm too tired to do the same thing all over again. :P Basically I was happy that I stayed away from sugar yesterday. Woohoo. What was strange is that I felt less bloated and gas-y (don't mean to be gross) and my pants kept falling down. I haven't stepped on the scale but I'll take the possibility that my ab area might be a little smaller as a good sign.

On to day 4. I haven't cut down on whites yet but my main goal right now is to just eliminate the processed sugar. I'm keeping the fruit. It's natural sugar with benefits (fiber, nutrients). I don't think fruit is a trigger for me.

kirdito
03-14-2008, 10:17 PM
I pretty much am off of the refined sugar...WOOT! I am trying so hard to stick with natural foods and only occasionally add raw honey to something....mostly I am trying to kill my sweet tooth!

LaurieDawn
03-15-2008, 12:26 PM
Good work, Kirdito! Refined sugar is a tough one to give up!

So, I took a drink of my son's orange soda yesterday without even thinking about it. Ironic, because we were having chicken fajitas, and I eschewed the flour tortilla because I'm avoiding whites for my fourteen days, and I made a conscious choice to do that. Then, I got mad at myself and drank some more - so my pledge meant that, yesterday, I consumed more sugar than I normally would have. Pathetic.

So, I decided I would have to start over, and that made me want to go buy a big bag of candy and eat all of it that night before my start-over day. And I realized that this was the same mentality that has led to so many weight loss mistakes in the past, and the one I had to abandon in order to achieve any success.

So - I am looking at today as my potential Day Four. I am not starting over, because one slip-up does not erase the good I've done. I drank some pop, yes, but chose not to buy the candy, and that's its own victory.

SoulBliss
03-15-2008, 12:37 PM
Avoiding sugar is a vegan thing, right, Soulbliss? 'Cuz they use animal bones to make the sugar or something? I don't remember why sugar is not vegan, but I have heard something about it.
You are right! Commercial sugar is often filtered through animal bone char so vegans avoid using it. There are so many forms of sugar that are vegan though, so avoiding it all together is a personal choice for me.

LaurieDawn
03-16-2008, 04:08 PM
Saturday was Day Four for me! Ten more to go. I still crave the sugar, but am feeling good about my (not-quite-perfect) succes at avoiding it. We'll see how I feel after another ten days.

Jen415
03-17-2008, 12:29 PM
WTG, Laurie! :)

I'm having some issues with my plan in general, but the sugar issues hasn't really been an issue, thanks goodness!

LaurieDawn
03-17-2008, 04:02 PM
I feel like I'm monopolizing this thread, but I do want to stay accountable, at least for these fourteen days, so... my apologies for monpolozing it.

Sunday was Day five, and concentrating on the sugar has brought a new energy to my plan, which, after all, can get a little tiresome after ten months. I haven't been perfect, but I have done much better than I would have otherwise.

Now, we're into the week, and Monday through Thursday always seems so much easier than the weekend, so... here's hoping we'll get through the fourteen days!

julzchiki
03-18-2008, 02:40 AM
Hi everyone.

Laurie Dawn, your not monopolizing this thread. Actually, I've been trying to write to the thread upon receiving the notes in my email only to realize I can't technically do that and still have my post show up on the site. So, I've been chiming in but nobody's been able to see them. I almost did it again tonight, but remembered to come on here. It just seems easier to hit reply than to get online.

Laurie Dawn, you rock! And your dedication to accountability is encouraging. You're doing great!

It's been 7 days for me. It hasn't been perfect but I'm ok with that. The first few days I had bits of sweets (a hershey's kiss here, a nibble there) but actually, it was 10 fold less than I normally would have eaten. I'm proud of myself for sticking to this goal of 14 days with no sugar. I didn't go through withdrawals or anything but the first couple of days were definitely much more tempting than now. My biggest worry in the last few days was Saturday. I was concerned because my girl friends and I were going to have English tea service where they tend to have little tarts and scones and cookies. The word commitment kept ringing in my head. Thankfully one of my friends also gave up sugar for lent so we were able to support each other. I ended up eating more savory sandwiches than I probably should have but I stayed away from the sugar. I didn't order any of the sweets and when the other girls ate them, I didn't think twice about wanting any. Yippee... one success!

Sunday morning I had some orange juice and diet coke. I rarely drink juice so it was odd that I ordered it. But, I did. And the diet coke... I need to get rid of that one. Today was good. I did get another diet coke but after drinking only half of it, I came to my senses and threw it away. Overall, I'm pleased with my commitment to eliminating processed sugar for 14 days. I'm not going to focus on perfection because that's what set me up for failure in the past. All I can say is for the last 7 days I probably have only eaten or drank about 5% of the sugar I did two weeks ago.

On to day 8. Day 9 is going to be a tricky one for me. I have an offsite training all day for my company and they always have pastries, cookies, and such at those things throughout the day. Plus, we have ateam building event in the evening for dinner. We're doing Iron Chef and one of the things we're supposed to make is chocolate eclairs. I'm determined to stay away but am a little worried about temptation.

Speaking of temptation, one of my coworkers came by today and offered me a madeleine that she made. There wasn't one bit of me that was tempted to take one. I guess that's a good sign.

If you have any ideas on how I can divert attention on Day 9 and stay away from sugar on that day, I would love your input. It's going to be a touch one for me, I think.

jillybean720
03-18-2008, 08:24 AM
It's 7:19am and I am craving a big salad. Am I insane? :dizzy: I can't make one, though, becaus eI'm out of dressing and already at work, so I can't make any, either. I HAVE to remember to make more dressing tonight when I get home!

Anyway, it hasn't been a horrible time for me lately, but not perfect, either. I had my "allowed" treats last week and had no trouble getting right back on plan. However, I've still been eating too much of the "on plan" foods, so I really have to watch my portions.

It's been a roller coaster time in my life right now, so I need to get back to planning more. I just quit my job here (well, gave my 2 weeks) on Friday, and I start a new job on the 31st, only to work 2 days and then take April 2-4 off to help my parents move into their new house in Va Beach. Lots going on right now, and my eating plan is constantly getting bumped further and further down on my list. This morning, I had a serving of roasted almonds and a serving of frozen red grapes in the car on my way to work for breakfast. I need to get back to planning!

Jen415
03-18-2008, 10:48 AM
Hey Jill! It does sound like a wild ride you are on! Congrats on your new job!

Like you, I'm needing to plan more in order to be successful. I'm just flying by the seat of my pants, and it just ain't workin'!

LaurieDawn
03-18-2008, 01:34 PM
Monday was tougher than I had hoped it would be (not surprising!), but still pretty doable over all. I have decided to train for a half-marathon, and so I ran four miles yesterday, which helps me deal better with food temptation. So - Monday - Day Six - down! Almost halfway there!

I understand your dilemma, Julz, with the offsite training. I just faced a similar situation recently. I used two strategies, and made it through much better than I worried I would. The first strategy was simply to avoid the food. If yours does it like mine, they gave us a 15-minute break and had the food available to get at that time. I just didn't ever go by the food. Instead, I brought my own food and snacked on that, and either worked on a project I needed to complete or just walked around to stretch my legs so I wouldn't be tempted to get the food. The second strategy was a little riskier, but it was the last day of the retreat, and I needed to do some networking. So, I went to the area where they served the food. They had six varieties of cheesecake - my absolute favorite! They also had gorgeous fruit and vegetables. I took a large serving of fruits and vegetables and gave myself permission to get a slice of cheesecake and take a few bites of it if I wanted it after eating the healthier food. When I was no longer hungry, I surprised myself by discovering that I didn't want the cheesecake. And I didn't tempt fate by hanging around the food when I was done eating.

As for the dessert, that's a little bit trickier. If it's a team building exercise, though, isn't part of team building learning how to communicate your needs? Maybe bring a reduced-sugar recipe (with the necessary ingredients) for the chocolate eclairs, or an alternate fruit-based dessert? http://kidsinthekitchen.ajli.org/?nd=recipes&return_nd=browse&recipe_id=61&x=19&y=13 That may not be realistic, though, so maybe just communicating to your team members that you have made a 14-day commitment to stay away from sugar and asking them to support you might be helpful. Or - maybe you can just tell yourself that you can handle a few minutes of misery for the greater good?

Hope this was a little helpful. I'm so glad that you're joining me on my challenge. My scale is not being friendly these past few days, so I'm sort of holding on to this to help move me through the frustration.

Good for you, Jen and Jill, for your renewed commitment to planning. That's something that I definitely need to concentrate some attention on as well!

Dumplin
03-19-2008, 01:10 AM
I want to cut out sugar in my diet also . Hopefully I will see a loss in my weight also.

jillybean720
03-19-2008, 08:48 AM
Caved in to stress and convenience and had pizza last night, extra cheese. Bleh.

New day--I'm now enjoying my breakfast of a whole wheat English muffin with veggie cheese, egg beaters, and turkey sausage.

Jen415
03-19-2008, 12:28 PM
Thank God for those new days!!

Hey Jill: you said you make your own dressing...can you give me the recipe?

jillybean720
03-19-2008, 12:44 PM
This one is my FAVORITE:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133986

And this is a good one for me for dipping raw veggies:
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=133985

LaurieDawn
03-19-2008, 01:35 PM
Had a really bad day yesterday (actually just last night). I hurt my calf, which is threatening my ability to train for my half-marathon, and I let it get to me. Ate food that I shouldn't, then topped it off with some candy - which I actually left the house at 9:30 p.m. to go out and get. Not a whole lot of candy, but still...

So, like Jill, today is a new day for me, and I will not let one off-evening push me into lots of errors.

Laurie

julzchiki
03-20-2008, 01:43 AM
Dumplin, glad to see you here. It's helpful to have the support here. I turn to all of you guys when I'm feeling tempted or just needing accountability at the end of the day and it's been a big help.

Laurie, thanks so much for the advice on the team building day. So, I made it through the day and managed to stay away from sugar. At least, the cookies, cake, pie, etc. I did eat some fruit but like you mentioned, if you focus on the other foods (hopefully healthier ones) you will be too full to eat the sugar. I actually took that approach and it helped in terms of keeping away from the sugar but I'm also noticing how much sugar can be in some of the savory foods, too. We had ribs and the sauce was sweet. We had coleslaw and the dressing was a little sweet. We had Vietnamese spring rolls and the dipping sauce had palm sugar in it (softer than regular sugar but sugar nonetheless). I had a couple of dips of that but they were dips into the liquid. I stayed far far away from the carrot cake and the chocolate eclair. I announced to my colleagues that I'm staying away from sugar so no one pressed me to eat it. When they served the dessert I offered it to my coworkers and someone else took mines so I didn't have to be tempted.

So for the last two days, I've been good about staying away from the sugar. What I'm beginning to find now, though, is I"m compensating by eating more or larger portions of the savory foods so I "fill up" and not feel the deprivation. Hmmm... I need to watch this because even though they don't have sugar, too much food is still going to cause me weight gain. Geez, ya just can't win at this game, huh? :P

Jen, I'm glad you're still with us. Take it a day at a time. I'm finding it's easier with each day passed. And, telling others around you will help you keep accountable to your plan.

Laurie, one more thing... good for you for training for a half marathon. Are you training with others? I did Team in Training a couple years ago and had the most amazing experience with them (then I fell of the health horse and gained more weight but that's another story). I had problems with my calves. Not sure if it's the same problem you're having but my calves would end up cramped up and in major pain to the point I couldn't walk/run well. So, my coach suggested I visit the sports medicine therapist. They did a special massage with my calves (if ever a swear word came from my mouth it was during that massage). It hurt at the moment but I really wanted to do my race. After the massage, I felt fixed and was running again. It turned out to be one of my best races ever! Which half marathon are you planning to run?\

I've lost count. I think I just finished Day 8 and am on to Day 9. I think I'll be ok the rest of the work week but I just found out my future sister-in-law is baking a carrot cake on Saturday for Easter when I'm at their house. ACK! Temptation!

Have a fabulous Thursday ladies.

LaurieDawn
03-20-2008, 12:22 PM
So, Wednesday was Day Seven! I am really happy that after I messed up on Tuesday, I was able to recover instead of slip into sugar oblivion! Thus, I'm officially halfway through. Seven more days to go - hopefully, I'll make it seven days in a row this time!

Julz - I'm so proud of you for making it through your training! Probably the most important thing I've learned on this journey is that I have to let people know about my needs. Yes, people might think nasty things like, "It's about time!" or "She has so far to go. Why even bother?" But they might also think, "Wow! If she can do it, what's stopping me?" What they choose to think about my personal decisions is more reflective of their issues than mine, and I will not be ashamed any longer that I am working hard (and not always successfully) to improve my health and my life. Wow. Sorry about the soapbox. I just had a really hard time doing what you did, and I'm proud of you for doing it!

I also might look into the calf massage if the calf continues to bother me. I've never had calf issues before, and I've noticed that as it heals, it only bothers me on the stairs. So, I'm hoping that staying away from the stairstepper may be all it takes. I couldn't stay away from the gym last night, though, and the pool was closed during the time I had available to go, so I ended up doing the elliptical. I didn't push it, and things felt good, so maybe I'll swim today and try to get back to my running schedule tomorrow. I started out training for Grandma's half-marathon in Duluth, MN, but I didn't register in time, so I think I'll go for Burnsville, MN. Not high-profile races, but that's not the point for me. I'm training with my 14YO and my 12YO. Their idea, not mine, but I think it will be great for all of us.

julzchiki
03-20-2008, 11:25 PM
I made it through Day 9 without sugar but for some reason today was pretty tough. I think it's because I had Mexican for lunch or I've hit a moment on my path where it's tough. I think Mexican food makes me crave sweets. Hmmm... something to keep aware of. Anyhow, it's not that I was tempted by sweets it was more like my body was "asking" for sweets and that was a bit surprising. It's like the addiction side of me has kicked in and saying "hey, you used to feed me this stuff. where did it all go?". I kept the word "commitment" in my mind and have managed to stick to it all day. I even went to buy Easter candy for this weekend to give out in Easter baskets and didn't eat or open any bags. I think also, the visit down the candy aisle made my brain want some chocolate. It's interesting to make these observations because a couple weeks ago I would have been numb to them and succumbed to temptation.

I was happy to step on the scale today and see three pounds gone. I'm not putting it on my avatar because the weight on there is old so once I hit my previous "loss" I'll continue the image.

Laurie, thanks for the encouragement. I agree as I'm often in the same boat of worrying about what others think. My thought tape is getting better at worrying only about my own needs than others but I still have many many days where this is a struggle.

I am in awe of how much success you have had. 72 pounds! Sometime, I would love to hear your story and how you got started and milestones along the road. You're doing fabulous!

Good for you for training with your kids to run this half marathon. You're being a role model for them and doing something absolutely fabulous for yourself. Right on!

I'm thinking about continuing the no sugar after the 14 days. This is the most success I"ve had in a VERY VERY long time. If I start eating the sugar afterwards, I just know I'll go right back to my old habits. This thread has been good for me.

How is everyone else doing or not doing? Either way, would love to hear.

LaurieDawn
03-21-2008, 01:48 AM
I'm trying to get two grant applications written for Monday and Tuesday deadlines, so I'm really crunched for time, and my house is a complete wreck. My children are home for Easter vacation, and driving me absolutely nuts. So, I did what I have been trying not to do - bought candy to bribe them to work and to get along. No other reward system is as cheap and effective, though I have been trying to avoid it.

Anyway, my children did not work as directed, so I have Peeps in my bedroom, something which I like but don't find irresistible. (They were specifically requested, or I would have bought something like circus peanuts - gag!) Couldn't stop thinking about them. And stressed about these deadlines. So, I decided to quit obsessing, had a few, shared the rest with my children, and consumed about 150 calories worth of pure sugar. **Sigh** Not too serious, but I read Julz' post and told myself "Next time, center on the word 'commitment.'" We'll see how that works. For today, though, I've eaten well (with the Peeps exception), ran almost two miles (my calf's still not in great shape - I was scheduled for three) and swam about a mile. Life goes on.

Julz - I'm excited that you're getting as much out of this thread as I am. Amazing what works for us. And, while I'll be happy to share a longer version of my 10-month journey sometime, it really boils down to things like this thread for me. Some ultra-disciplined 3FC'ers (whom I admire beyond belief) choose a plan, commit to it, and rarely stray from it. I'm still working toward that. Until then, I continue to add to my knowledge base and find new ways of inspiring myself to keep fighting the fight. This 'sugar free' thing is my latest diet-centered strategy, and training for the half-marathon is my latest exercise-centered strategy. Sometimes I feel like a fraud because I make so many mistakes and bad choices, but I think I make more good ones than bad ones, and that's why I'm slimmer today than I was ten months ago.

Okay. Time to stop avoiding work and get back to writing about how fun math can be for students in Nevada, then switch to extolling the virtues of physical education for our obese children in Louisiana.

jillybean720
03-21-2008, 06:42 AM
Share some of that commitment with me! :p I'm still stressed and running around like a chicken with my head chopped off. My mother has asked me to create a resume for my father, so that's another task on my list. Since giving my 2-week notice at work, it's been pretty insane. They have already found a replacement to start the Monday after I leave (the first day I won't be there), so you'd think that would ease their anxiety a bit, but no, they decided to hire someone with NO experience in what I do, so now they need me to write all kinds of step-by-step processes for everything I do plus a guide of where things are saved on the network drives (even though I only use 1 drive), and all other kinds of stuff. They keep feeding me "subtle" guilt trips like, "well, since we don't get the luxury of having you here to cross-train her..." OH PLEASE! There was no one here to train me when I started--the position hadn't even existed before I was hired, so with all these guides I'm writing, you're LEAGUES ahead of where you were when I came in! And if I have to hear one more time about how hot my replacement is, I'm going to scream. I'm soooo sorry you had the misfortune of having to look at me for the last almost 2 years.

Sorry, done ranting now.

So yeah, I'm filled with frustration, stress, hurt...

I had junk yesterday. And I'll probably have some junk today. I don't have the energy to fight it. At least my junk now is actually better than my junk before, if that makes sense. Like yesterday, I had a chicken salad sandwich on cracked wheat and 2 peanut butter Atkins bars. In the past, that would have been the chicken salad sandwich, an egg salad sandwich on white, a few king size Reese's Fast Break bars, and maybe a cheese danish or some white chocolate macadamia nut cookies.

Oi. I just need to finish this week and get through next week...

LaurieDawn
03-21-2008, 03:58 PM
And I wanted to eat some of the Peeps that my kids finally earned. One would not do me any harm - and I really believe that it wouldn't. And I'm so stressed out with my deadlines and such. But, I centered on the word "commitment." Fourteen days is such a short time in the scheme of things, and if I allow stress to become my go-to excuse for eating badly, that only causes considerably more stress because then I'll start re-gaining the weight and have to re-lose it again.

So - not even a single Peep for me! Not that one would have killed me. But I made a commitment, and for today, that's what it took. And so often that one turns into two, then twelve, then a completely out-of-control meal. My immediate reward is that I'm calmer and more confident in my ability to face challenges as I try to finish my work.

enchantedonyx
03-22-2008, 01:14 AM
Hello everyone,

Just thought I'd join in here. I've been 5 days without sugar. Of any kind. And no processed foods, wheat, corn, or dairy. I really feel that if I let any in at all, it makes the cravings so much worse. I have systemic candidiasis (http://www.wholeapproach.com) so any sugar feeds the yeast and makes it roar for more. The first couple of days were horrible but the withdrawal is easing up now and I'm looking forward to feeling better.

As for sugar-free snacks- I carry a water bottle with me everywhere and have some flavored seltzer water if I need that pop fix. Carrots and celery dipped in almond butter or hummus (a bit high in fat but very tasty and filling).
Salad dressings- watch on the fat content because it's high, but for sugar-free (no artificial sweetners) taste, the champion has to be Annie's Naturals Lemon and Chive Vinegar Free dressing.

Anyways, good luck to all who are trying to be sugar free. I think it's important to remember that 100 years ago, sugar was a luxury, not a necessity.

WildThings
03-22-2008, 12:35 PM
I noticed my sister joined above (EnchantedOnyx) so I thought I would pop in too. I have actually been four weeks without any sugars. I am finally to the point that I don't crave sugar anymore, which helped a lot when my place of work had donuts last week and cookies this week. Giving up sugar is so difficult. I've been trying to do this for years, but sweets are one of my biggest weaknesses. I still walk through the bakery of the grocery store every time I'm there just to make sure the cakes and pastries are still there. Two of the women I work with told me they have heard that after six month or so without sugar, some people say they don't even think it sounds good anymore, but I have yet to believe that. I haven't forgotten how much I love sweet stuff, I've just managed to convince myself not to eat it. For now, I'll just continue taking it a week at a time.

LaurieDawn
03-22-2008, 04:14 PM
Yesterday was Day Eleven. Three more to go - and I hadn't realized that one would be Easter. But we didn't buy the kids candy for Easter, so it should be okay. Then, it will be just about avoid the post-holiday candy!

LaurieDawn
03-23-2008, 02:51 PM
Through Day 12 - onto Day 13! I almost bought a low-cal (but not sugar free) Easter dessert last night, but decided that a commitment is a commitment (thanks, Julz!), and chose to bypass it. Today and tomorrow, then (if successful) I decide if I want to continue the sugar-free thing.

LaurieDawn
03-23-2008, 03:26 PM
Still thinking about this, and I have decided to commit to not eating any cheap post-holiday Easter candy. That's the tough one for me. And then we will be holiday candy-free until Halloween!!! And by that time, I'll be so skinny that I can afford to eat bags and bags of candy, right? Just kidding, of course. But it will be nice to have some months where I don't face the cheap after-holiday candy and cookie dough. For some reason, that's a huge challenge for me, and one that if I'd done better resisting would have allowed me to be much closer to my goal than I am. So, a few weeks of commitment more, and then no cheap after-holiday candy until November!!

WildThings
03-23-2008, 06:16 PM
Still thinking about this, and I have decided to commit to not eating any cheap post-holiday Easter candy. That's the tough one for me. And then we will be holiday candy-free until Halloween!!! And by that time, I'll be so skinny that I can afford to eat bags and bags of candy, right? Just kidding, of course. But it will be nice to have some months where I don't face the cheap after-holiday candy and cookie dough.

I was thinking of this very thing just this morning. It's awful to have Halloween then Christmas then Valentine's Day then Easter. And the stores always have the next holiday going up a few days before the current one is over, so for almost 8 months there are holiday treats all over the place. I know the stores have there regular candy isle, but for me there is something so much more tempting about holiday candy than regular candy.

julzchiki
03-24-2008, 04:29 AM
Can't sleep, AGAIN! I'm so frustrated that I've been having trouble sleeping and it's funny (not really) that it usually happens on a Sunday night. I think I start to panic over the week ahead and start thinking about how time is passing by. UGH! That said, I'm happy to say that I've been sweet free (except for a few diet cokes) for the last 12 days. I can't believe it! This is the most "dieting" success I've had in a very very very long time. I think the only reason I've been able to stick to it is because I don't like the way I feel when I eat sugar (lethargic, tired, cranky, bloated, can't think) and some wise 3FCers fed the word "commitment" to me (Laurie, I can't take the credit for the word but like you it's helping me). I'm still very disappointed at my big belly but in a "new and refreshing" way, I feel cleaner and I'm not as tempted to eat sweets as I was before. I still have to be careful not to give in to the temptations but after 12 days I can actually stay away. This past weekend has been another testament of not giving in. Saturday, my future sister in law baked a carrot cake. Didn't have any. Today, at church, we had a table FULL of sweets including brownies and chocolate covered strawberries. Oh boy, I really wanted one of those strawberries. I started going down the mindset of "well, they're fruit right so that won't technically mean it's a sweet, right? it's only a little bit of chocolate not like a lot". But, I knew that I couldn't go for it. If I ate one, I would want to have another one. So, I ate half a bagel at the other end of the table and stopped at that. Then I had Burger King but we'll deal with that one later. Staying away from sweets. This week, that's going to include diet coke. I don't want any triggers.

EnchantedOnyx... nice job on the 5 days with no sugar. Right on!
think it's important to remember that 100 years ago, sugar was a luxury, not a necessity.

Good point on the sugar. I was just thinking the other day that of all the foods available, there really aren't any redeaming qualities for sugar in terms of nutrition and keeping you healthy. It's only role is pleasure.

Laurie... good for you for commiting to no post-East candy. It's not worth it. You've done so great so far since you started the no-sugar conversation. Stick with the commitment and it will pay off. Best not to let any candy into the house.

Have a great Monday, all! Will touch base again tomorrow.

LaurieDawn
03-24-2008, 05:56 PM
Julz - I don't know when the original person suggested that "commitment" was the key to weight loss, but I'm sure it wasn't in my lifetime. I just appreciate you providing a great example of how to do it by centering on the word. It was that, rather than the concept, that I was praising - and I will continue to praise it!

Today's Day 14 for me! I'm glad I made the post-Easter candy commitment because I went to the store this morning with my son after no sleep at all, and I was mildly tempted, but knew what I had decided, so I didn't even spend time contemplating. I'll finish out the day, then decide what I want to do with a long-term sugar commitment. I may go deeper, I may back off some, but I will not give in to the danger zone of post-Easter candy. For now, that's good enough for me!

oreokitty
03-24-2008, 07:18 PM
I haven't eaten sugary foods/desserts, white flour (bread), white pasta, etc. since Sept 07. I know once I have one, I'm all done. There is not enough junk food in the world to satisfy me. And I say everyday, that I won't eat this stuff tomorrow.

It's just like alcohol to me (and i'm a recovering alcoholic so we know what that's like). My ultimite enemy is the sugary foods/desserts. The other white stuff sets me off.

I'm going with the OA philosophy. I got sober through AA so it's not a big stretch.

One day at a time, I won't eat sugar. All that being said, I'm not a non-sugar purist. I do eat some foods with sugar as an ingredient--just not high on the list.

Amy

LaurieDawn
03-25-2008, 12:48 PM
Oreokitty - That is an incredible streak of no-sugar days! I haven't even managed to put my fourteen in a row. Yesterday was supposed to be Day 14, but I had a tiny sliver of the chocolate bunny my son bought on clearance (and I mean barely a taste before I realized that I had no desire for it) and a small sip of my husband's Pepsi that evening. Weird. I didn't really want the sugar, but maybe I didn't want to concede the end of my challenge. The 14 days without sugar challenge has been good for me. So - today is my second try for Day 14 success!

julzchiki
03-26-2008, 01:20 AM
Yeah, a little success! I managed 14 days without sugar process foods! Yippee!!!

Oreokitty, good point on foods having sugar in it. It's inevitable just about everything we eat will have some amounts of sugar in it. You can't avoid it completely but good to stay away from the foods where sugar is listed as one of the first ingredients or is high on the list of ingredients. I think that's a really easy and fair way of thinking about it. I mean, if you eat salad dressing there might sugar in it or even a stew. This rang a bell for me.

Ok, I'm doing it again. 14 days of no sugar. Starting today (Tuesday, since that's when I started it last time). I'm adding on to that... no sweets. I'm adding diet sodas to my goal (I read an article the other day that said diet sodas encourages obesity not that I"m not already that but it makes sense to cut it out. no benefits to drinking soda. Might as well continue with gaining health rather than losing it). 14 days of no sweets including regular and diet sodas or any other forms of sweet drinks. I can drink teas, water, coffee, and fruit infused drinks (no sugar). And, I can eat fruit. But, no processed sugars of any kind.

Here we go...

LaurieDawn
03-26-2008, 01:45 AM
Yay, Julz!!! A success, and a new goal!

I, too, just finished my 14 days. I had two days in the middle that I didn't count because I wasn't successful, but I'm happy about what I've done.

I'm not doing 14 more days, but I think this has been very good for me. I had no desire for candy today, and that's something.

pamatga
03-26-2008, 06:30 PM
As I have said before, I sort of backed into the no-sugar decision. I have had some sugar recently but it only reinforced what I had learned before. Once it is in my mouth, it won't stop until it is gone, and, the after effects are not worth it.

I like how I feel sugar-free. I realize we are each doing this a different way. Mine started in January 1st when I first started my current food plan, South Beach Diet. Again, I want to stress that it is not a no-sugar food plan. I just so happened to decide to take it one step further. Some people who follow the South Beach plan do have foods with some sugar in them. I chose not to.

I was reading about some other woman's experience on Easter and when she listed what they had at their meal (more pies than meat dishes!) I thought no wonder you had a hard time with all of that. I felt sorry for her. I am not sure what I would do in that instance either. It would take a very strong person to navigate around everything that is so "over the top" like that. I keep wondering why we feel like we have to eat on the holidays like it is our "last supper".
I have to wonder why people would even choose to have that many desserts---I did the quick math and it sounded like one whole pie per person.

My Easter meal was without green bean casserole, sweet potatoe casserole and definitely no pies. I followed my South Beach food plan.

The only "sweet thing" I made was white mashed potatoes. Did you know that there is the same amount of tsps of "sugar" in a medium white potatoe as there is in a can of regular soda?? I did "allow" myself 1 c of white mashed potatoes. This is something that I rarely do any more. And, other than the delicious turkey gravy (also not-SBD) I really wondered why I bothered at all.

I have found the best way to avoid cravings and sweet things in general is to 1) not let them cross the threshold -the old out of sight/out of mind 2) eat enough lean protein and other healthy foods so my blood sugar is level.

I call that my "one-two punch".

PS As I said, I had sugar twice in the past two months. And, yes, one of those times was on Easter. I wanted us to have a basket. I am still a kid at heart. I will confess that I had some Peeps and a chocolate bunny.

Yes, I felt like a raving addict when I was eating it but after I finished it, I added it to my food diary, symbolically "washed my hands" and I haven't had any since!! That was my detour on my road to being sugar free. It made me wonder why I thought I wanted it. So, back to being sugar free and yes loving it.

LaurieDawn
03-27-2008, 12:53 AM
Thanks for sharing that, Pamatga. It's wonderful to hear that things are so much better for you without the sugar. I am really looking at sugar differently since I started this. Let me emphasize again that I am not truly sugar-free, and have not been sugar-free through any of this. Rather, for my fourteen days, I chose to avoid foods where sugar and/or white flour was one of the first few ingredients, particularly when those things have no nutritional redemption.

It's interesting. Now that I have given myself "permission" to go back to having small amounts of these things if I really want them, I don't seem to want them at all. I went to a function tonight where they had Hershey's kisses littering the tables where we sat and they served cake and ice cream. Even a few weeks ago, I would have had one or two kisses and thought nothing of it. I still don't think that would have been a big deal, but I'm glad I wasn't even tempted. All they had was sugar and more sugar, with a good dose of fat mixed in. I had no desire for it, I didn't feel deprived not eating it, I didn't feel like I had to make excuses to anyone for not eating it. Then - when I got home - I ran 3.1 miles. Life is so good this way. I feel good about my choices, my body is a little tired, but feels healthy, and I know that I am getting closer to my goals. I know I've said it before, but this no sugar experiment has been really good for me.

julzchiki
03-30-2008, 08:25 PM
I've continued to keep processed sweets out of my diet. Usually it's not a problem, but I find there are moments when I would really enjoy something sweet. I find that I'm able to keep the sweets at bay with some fruit. Thankfully the temptation to eat sugary foods is gone but it's definitely had it's tough moments. I do find, though, that I'm substituting the sweets with either larger portions or more snacks.

I've been off sweets for 19 days and soda has been left out for 6 days. I hope my body is for the better without this junk. Since it's been so used to it for years, I don't feel the complete benefits yet. Will keep going this week.

julzchiki
03-30-2008, 08:30 PM
Pamatga, thanks for sharing your story. I agree that once you put sweets in your mouth you get drawn right back into the addiction. What kind of effects do you get when you eat too much sugar? I tend to get sluggish, grouchy, lethargic, sleepy, and desiring more.

Like you, I've found incorporating more protein in my diet also helps keep the sugar cravings more at bay. Usually because I'm more full at that point and not desiring to eat anything else.

I'd like to get to a point where I can control the amount of sugar. Enjoy it on special occasions, but keep it at bay.

LaurieDawn
03-30-2008, 10:14 PM
My son gave me an orange Cadbury cream egg yesterday, and I was dumb enough to eat it. I had never tried an orange one, and it sounded so good. Anyway, I found myself jonesing for sugar really badly. I was out with my husband last night, and I made him stop at the all-night drugstore to get some candy. Fortunately, it was all really expensive (and I'm quite price-sensitive), so I didn't get anything. So, we stopped at a 24-hour Wal-Mart, but I sobered up a bit when I read the calories for what I wanted to buy. So, finally and fortunately, I settled on some wild-flavored sugar-free gum. I chewed all nine pieces in the pack in short order, but the calories were signficantly less than what it could have been, especially if I found that I couldn't stop with one bag of candy, or if it had turned into a multi-day binge like I've had in the past. **Sigh** Maybe I can't handle my sugar...

LaurieDawn
03-31-2008, 02:05 AM
All right. I've been thinking about this whole sugar thing for some time now. Tonight, I made some low-sugar / fat-free cream cheese brownies with my 4 YO daughter. She has been begging me to make brownies, and tonight her dad joined in, and I thought this would be a good alternative to the regular stuff. I was creating the recipe as we went along, trying to adjust as much as possible to make them healthier while still palatable for a 4YO. I put in pumpkin for Vitamin A, egg whites for protein, whole wheat flour for a bit of fiber, etc. So, they weren't terrible nutritionwise, and I made a conscious decision to try this new creation by eating one small brownie, but I had a hard time stopping at one brownie - and while they weren't bad, they weren't great. I had to physically leave the house and go for a walk to calm my compulsion to continue to eat them.

So, I have reluctantly decided that I will do another fourteen days without sugar - and possibly more. I am a little sad about it, because sugar has been my good friend for such a long time and I have lost weight while still consuming it occasionally, but I have finally realized that I just cannot handle it now. But while I am sad about losing the sugar, I am also excited about how much my health will benefit from it.

WildThings
03-31-2008, 08:52 PM
I have offically started my 6th week without any kind of sugar, including fruit. I actually made my sister a cherry cheesecake yesterday for her birthday, and probably for the first time in my life did not want a piece. I told her I could not bake a cake...cake is my achielles heel, but this was a no-bake cheesecake so they house wouldn't smell like it.

LaurieDawn, I am the same way with any sweet treats. When I have made a cake in the past, I would eat a piece...go back for a second. Half an hour later take just half a piece, then go back for the other half...then later while going through the kitchen just take one bite...then eventually finish the piece. This would all be in a matter of an evening. I can't control myself with sweets.

julzchiki
04-07-2008, 02:56 PM
I’m so excited! It’s itty bitty success but success nonetheless. I put on my top this morning and usually this top is incredibly snug in the waist area. To the point where I can barely move it back and forth because it’s glued to my body. But this morning when I put it on I noticed that I could wiggle myself around in it. I haven’t felt this wiggling in a long time. Plus, the pants I put on keep slipping off my waist (not falling off but slipping enough where I feel like it’s droopy). I have to say it’s mostly thanks to getting rid of sugar from my daily life. I don’t get tired at 2pm anymore (unless I’ve had too many carbs in the morning) and I feel less expanded. I love being able to have a little smile on my face. Smiles are far and between for me these days.

I’ve been mostly sugar free since 11Mar08 (a few sodas here and there but no desserts or candy). I’m keeping up with it but not getting upset with myself if I do have a soda here and there. I’ve noticed when I do try something that has sugar in it (like cereal) the sweetness is intense.

Wild Things and Laurie Dawn, I am like you where if I eat something sweet, I can’t stop. I want more. Good for you for wanting to be on the healthier side by minimizing or eliminating the sweets. Moderation and balance… that’s what we can aim for.
My goal is to someday be able to eat the sweets and not be tempted or teased by them to eat more.

That said, my biggest concern this week is that I’m traveling for a wedding.

Airports. I always get tempted to eat junk in the airports. It’s so expensive but the food is readily there. I’m planning to bring some fruit and crunchy snacks. Maybe some cereal if I get sweet cravings.
Wedding and other celebrations this coming weekend. I’m worried about being tempted by the sweets. I think I may allow myself 3 bites of the wedding cake on Saturday but that may be too tempting in itself. Hmmm… any suggestions on this one?

AuntChuChu
04-11-2008, 10:59 PM
I was sugar free for about a week and had enjoyed having more energy and feeling better, no headaches, then a friend served dinner and all she offered were carbs, well I ate enough to get by and totally refused dessert, but woke up the next morning with a terrific headache. I guess it was the sugar rush and then the big drop that got me. I am back low carbing and sugar free. I now know to watch out and refuse foods that will make me ill.

WildThings
04-11-2008, 11:16 PM
I have had two horrbile sugar temptation days. I have not had any sugar...I resisted, but once a month, the place I work has a board meeting and they bring in donuts for the board members, and of course donuts for the support staff. These aren't just any, store bought donuts. These are from a little mom and pop bakery that makes close to the worlds best donuts. Yesterday I was fine with them. Even ate my lunch in the kitchen at my office sitting at the same table as the donuts. Today, was completely different (of course there were leftovers). I could not leave them alone. I just kept going back to look at them, and trying to talk everyone else in the office into taking them home, or eating them. I finally convinced myself that I would only get five minutes of happiness out of them then would beat my self up over them the rest of the day, and probably the rest of the weekend. It worked long enough to get me through the end of the day.

Luckily, my office only consist of six other people and we rarely have food in the office. Almost everyone brings their own lunch, we keep the refridgerator stocked with water, no pop and the only outside options are Starbucks, which does not tempt me (not a coffee or coffee flavored drink person) or Subway which I don't go anywhere near.

julzchiki
04-15-2008, 01:39 AM
Aunt Chu Chu, good for you for getting back on the low carb/sugar free path. You can do it!

Amanda, I'm so proud of you for passing on the donuts. It's so hard to pass on them when they're right there in front of your or if there are constant reminders that they are in the kitchen. This happens to me a lot at work when cake emerges. Everyone in the office gets excited and start announcing where the cake is and how delicious it is. You passed on them once, you can do it again.

I went to the wedding I was worried about because I wasn't sure if I was actually going to be able to stay free of sweets and sugar. I wasn't. My family had 3 ice cream cakes to celebrate 2 birthdays and a baby shower. Then there was the wedding itself where there was fancy wedding cake and a special dessert table (with the most delectable chocolate covered strawberries). I passed on the ice cream cakes the first two times. But I indulged in the wedding cake, dessert table, and the last ice cream cake. Part of me felt guilty because I'd been doing so good. But, I decided that all of these dessert happenings were for very special reasons.

It kicked the addiction feelings back. When I got home tonight, I was eating everything around me because I was craving the sugar. So, I ended up eating an entire bag of m&ms. Ok... those were not for a special reason. I'm not going to let this get me down.

I'm going to be sure to bring fruit with me to work tomorrow so I can indulge in fruit and not sugar. I'm going to get back on track and remain free from sugar. Afterall, my main goal is to get to a point where I can do such things as eating sugary foods only for special occasions and not as something I "need" everyday.

I can do this... I can do this... I can do this...