South Beach Diet - Tuesday's Beach Chat

View Full Version : Tuesday's Beach Chat

cottagebythesea
03-11-2008, 06:57 AM
:coffee: It's so dark out! But it was nice driving home at 7:30 last night with a little bit of daylight left. :)

CyndiM
03-11-2008, 07:10 AM
:coffee: Morning Cottage, thanks for getting the coffee going.

I've got to get on the road early for a meeting "up north". 4 hours driving and 6 hours meeting. If my pedometer has 2000 steps when I get home it will be a lot.

Kara - Woo hoo! Enjoy your reunion and see you when you return ;)

Time to get moving. Have a good day Chicks!

cottagebythesea
03-11-2008, 07:13 AM
jandaman, I just noticed it's a special day for you! :woo:

:bday2you: :hb: HAPPY BIRTHDAY! :hb: :bday2you:

Have a wonderful day! Do you have any special plans to celebrate the day?

tomandkara
03-11-2008, 08:04 AM
Happy birthday, Jan!

Wasn't it strange, Linda, for it to be light so late last night? Connor asked to play at the park at 5:30 and I told him we couldn't go (it's literally a block away) because it would be dark soon. My father-in-law looked at me and said, "You do realize it'll be light for another hour and a half or so." I hadn't. I was surprised when it was past seven and there was still light outside!

Cyndi, drive safely! Maybe turn your music up really loud and bop around in your seat a bit? :lol:

When we were kids we would go down to Cape May every summer, and at the end of the Garden State Parkway (Cape May is at the southern end of the state, for anyone who doesn't know), we would always count down the mile markers..."Three miles to Cape May, three miles to Cape May!" and then a minute later (or sooner, depending on how fast my dad was driving - due to wanting to see the beach or having to listen to five of us singing...) "Two miles to Cape May, two miles to Cape May!" That's what I feel like today. "Thirteen hours 'til Tom gets home, thirteen hours 'til Tom gets home!"

:carrot:

Kara

tomandkara
03-11-2008, 08:08 AM
Schmoo, :rofl: luckily, my in-laws moved after Tom left for the Air Force, so he's never lived in this house. And they have a whole master suite that's off the back of the house. I am picturing being in a twin size bed with baseball player wallpaper and soccer trophies! :rofl: That would be awful!

Kara

Ruthxxx
03-11-2008, 08:15 AM
Good morning and Happy Birthday to JANDAMAN!

Cottage, it'll be brighter at 6 AM soon enough. In June the robins are singing at 3:30!

CindyM, safe trip. Too bad it's not REAL up north be cause I'd love to see you for coffee.

Kara, have a great reunion and you don't have to tell us all the details!

For some reason, the time change has me screwed up - I want to go to bed earlier. What's with that? I still wake up at about the same time though. I was considering a trip to town for some fabric today but may pass as the knee is giving me grief this morning. That may change when the painkillers kick in.

My sucky dog is shoving her nose at mean which means it's time for a cuddle on the couch while I finish my coffee. Have a Terrific Tuesday.

femmecreole
03-11-2008, 08:18 AM
Buzzing in quickly to say hi. It's been a wild few days. My Mom, Sister and BIL are leaving in a few hours to head back to NC, then DD and I are headed into New Orleans for some retail therapy and lunch. Going to make a big old frittata when everyone gets up to send them off with full tummies. DD is leaving on Thursday to go back to LA...then it's going to be TOO quiet around here. Hope everyone has a great day.

tomandkara
03-11-2008, 08:48 AM
Ruth, no details. I promise. Good luck getting your knee back in step this morning!

Cat, hope your guests get off to their destinations safely. Enjoy your time with your daughter!

Off to shower. And then it's Greek yogurt with fresh blueberries for breakfast. That stuff is yummy! Thanks for the recommendation, all!

Kara

Loriann7
03-11-2008, 09:13 AM
Hi guys... Happy birthday and welcom janda!

Kara.... YEAH!!!!! TOM IS ALMOST HOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! WE WANT DETAILS OF THE REUNION!! hahaha, jk

yes, the time change has me all screwed up as well... of course last night I couldn't sleep... My son went to a concert so I couldn't sleep, at least not until he arrived home at one am... I slept through my dual alarm this am making me late for work...

Speaking of work.. have a great day all..

Barb0522
03-11-2008, 09:15 AM
cottage - It's dark here still but we also have heavy fog. I suspect it will take me longer to get to work. I'll have to decide when I get on the road if it is too heavy to take the expressway. I don't want to be on a 60mph road if it's that heavy.

Cyndi - Drive careful!

Kara - Have a wonderful time with Tom! I would love to see Cape May someday. My dad was born there and I've never been.

Ruth - The timechange has me messed up too. We kept thinking it was earlier because the clock over the entertainment center was wrong. I got it down but couldn't get it back up so I've dragged the ladder inside. Then it was too cold to want to get up this morning. I finally realized I hadn't changed the clock on the thermostat so it hadn't warmed up. I think I'm actually going to have to find the manual for that. I still need to change the clock on the pool equipment too but that one is easy.

Cat - I love New Orleans but haven't been in years. Has the aquarium been restored from Katrina? Brian always loved that when we visited.

I need to shut down and head for the office. I'll try to post more later.

GONNABE165
03-11-2008, 09:54 AM
Real busy this morning so this will be short & sweet but I will try & come back.

Kara I bet you can't wait to give Tom a welcome home hug & kiss.

:balloons: Happy Birthday Jan

Ruth the time changes has messed me up too

Cat I just love retail therapy

Hope everyone has a great day!

tomandkara
03-11-2008, 10:21 AM
Loriann, hope you redeem yourself with great achievements at work today!

Barbara, my grandmother was born and raised in Cape May. Maybe sometime Linda, you, and I can take a trip down together?

Gonna, how's your toe?

Eleven hours and nine minutes!

Kara

Schmoodle
03-11-2008, 10:28 AM
Good Tuesday Morning chicks! We all overslept too this morning and had to rush the kids off to school. This week is not getting off to a great start! Last night I made up a breakfast cheesecake and some bean brownies while waiting for DH and DD to get back from the airport, so I've got a yummy breakfast in front of me and a snack to look forward to later. Oh, and to round things off, my favorite shrimp stir fry for dinner. I think once DD wakes and eats, she'll be headed back to her apartment. Other than that this is a very ordinary looking Tuesday.

Safe driving Cyndi!
Happy Birthday, jandamann!
Kara, that's exactly what I was picturing! Although when DH and I first lived together we shared a twin bed for a short while. Back then, we didn't really mind being so cozy!
Have a nice cuddle Ruth!
Hi Cat! Sounds like you're having a wonderful time.
Barb and LoriAnn, hope you guys have a great day at work.
Good morning Gonnabe!

cottagebythesea
03-11-2008, 10:49 AM
Kara, it won't be long now!

Cyndi, you must be on your way by now. I hope you took some good music with you to help pass the time! Drive carefully!

Ruth, try to take it easy on the knee today, eh? I hope the meds ease the pain.

Barb, do be careful driving in that thick fog! Hope you get your clocks all in sync without much hassle.

Loriann, I hope you have an easy day at work today!

Schmoodle, I hope the rest of your day (and week!) gets better, too. I'm glad your DD made it home safely!

I had to go to the bank right after Curves and straighten out a big mess. Seems the teller had transposed the number of my account, and deposited my money into someone else's account! I almost fainted when I saw my balance, I thought for a minute I was a victim of identity theft! Thank goodness, we got it all straightened out, Whew!!!!

JessieW
03-11-2008, 10:52 AM
Morning ladies. I needed a major cheer-up this morning so I thought I'd come and see your positive thoughts. This morning has been a major bummer already and I've been in tears twice...and it's not even 9. These pregnancy hormones are insane.

I do go for my first ultrasound today and to meet with the Dr. for the first time, so I am super excited about that!! He has come with raving recommendations so I think I will like him. I can't wait to see the little bean growing in there and hear the heartbeat. I will feel so much better once I hear that heartbeat...I think the chance of miscarriage is greatly diminished if the baby has a strong heartbeat.

Hope everyone is having a good morning. Wish I could join you in the coffee! I might brew a cup of decaf tea... :)

cottagebythesea
03-11-2008, 11:00 AM
Jessie, :grouphug: You sound like you could use it.

Kim_Star060404
03-11-2008, 11:03 AM
:bday2you: Jandaman!! :woo:

cottage: Thanks for the coffee! I needed it this morning! Thank goodness you got the bank situation figured out. That could have been a mess! Have a great day!

Cyndi: Good luck getting 2000 steps in today and be careful driving. What a long day you have! :hug: I hope it all goes well.

Kara: That's what DH and I did on the way to Ruidoso! :lol: I know how you're feeling. When DH was driving back from Canada, I stayed up until 4 am waiting for him to pull up. It was the biggest relief to see him. Have fun tonight and enjoy Tom's presence, although I know you will!

Ruth: I hope your knee gets to feeling better and that you get used to the time change. It's been hard for us as well, but getting better.

Loriann: Sorry that you didn't wake up on time - try and have a good day at work. :hug:

Barb: Hope you have a good day at work and be careful driving in that mess!

:wave:, Gonna!

Schmoodle: Enjoy your breakfast - it sounds delicious! Have a good day.

Me: Things are going well here! I'm down 1.5 lbs since Sunday. Not bad for being on P1 for just two days. I won't be changing tickers until next Sunday, but I just can't stay off for some reason!

We had taco bake last night for dinner and I made some turkey bacon cups for breakfasts, so I've got a pretty well-stocked freezer for a while. I also worked out 3 times for 15 minutes each time. I don't think I'd have made a 45-minute straight workout, but spreading it out was great. I'm going to try to get another 15 minutes in after class tonight, but we'll see how late class goes.

Well, I need to get to work. Lots of deadlines coming up, so I need to get moving if I want to stay ahead!!

~Kim

Kim_Star060404
03-11-2008, 11:04 AM
:hug:, Jessie! You're doing so great! I've been praying for you and baby and your DH a lot. Just keep your smile on and remember that little bean! Can't wait to hear about the doctor's visit! :grouphug:

SAnativegirl
03-11-2008, 11:09 AM
Happy Birthday Jandaman!

Kara-Yeah Yeah-we want details!!!!!
Kidding aside-Have a great time!

Interview got moved to Wednesday.

Schmoodle
03-11-2008, 11:13 AM
Kim, I looked at your vaca pix. What a peaceful spot! Looks like you guys had a wonderful time.

Jessie, :hug:, enjoy your tears. This is the only time you can dry randomly and spontaneously and nobody will think you're nuts! Say hi to the bean from the 3fc aunties!

FluffyK
03-11-2008, 11:43 AM
Kara - whassamatter, you don't have locks on doors in your house? :lol: The thought of being in my DH's boyhood bedroom would be a BIT weird!!!

Jandaman - Happy Birthday! Don't eat TOO much cake! :lol2:

Loriann - I'm pretty sure *I* don't want reunion details!!! I haven't been able to sleep at night since the time change, either. I am dragging now...

Cottage - HOW SCARY!!! Glad it didn't turn into a nightmare and it was fixed easily.

Jessie - Take it easy, hon. Those hormones are a kicker, and then when you're not eating well cuz you feel sick on top of it... DH just couldn't win when I was in my first trimester, I was like MADzilla...

ME: Weather is beautiful today, but I'm feeling yucky. I didn't get to the 2nd store on Sunday, thanks to DD4 and being late. So my snacks have been limited, and they aren't whole foods, so they might have a preservative in them that is making me nauseous. I will be heading out to the store later, but it's hard to get moving when I feel like this. Sort of a catch-22. The scale is still at 144.5, so no gain no loss. I haven't exercised in DAYS, though. DH and I are going to move firewood today, so I think that will be my exercise.

Have a good day everyone!

mommamurray
03-11-2008, 11:55 AM
Morning Ladies
Thanks for all the advice yesterday about the shins. They dont hurt now.. they just hurt for about half of the walk. I am going to try to slow down today. lol
Kara.. I am excited for you!
Well can stay long, I am busy at work today ( for a change) Ill check back in after the my walk.
Thanks again
Tracy

mommamurray
03-11-2008, 12:01 PM
Cottage: I am going thru heck with my bank right now. My eye doctor run my card thru twice on 2/28.. I have been trying to get the money back since then with little progress.. I was told last tuesday it would take 5 days ... well today is day 5 and nothing so I called the claims department and they said they just got the paperwork yesterday so that will be another 5 days. aaagggghhhhhhhh Right now all I care about it not being charged any fees when my account goes into the red cause they are holding my money hostage.

tomandkara
03-11-2008, 12:25 PM
Jessie, you might not be able to hear the heartbeat yet so don't be discouraged. I couldn't hear any of my munchkins until after 12 weeks. Good luck, though!

Schmoodle, sorry you're off to a rough start. Nothing like breakfast cheesecake and bean brownies to cheer up your day, though!

Kim, good luck getting your work done! Mmmm, taco bake! I need to make that soon!

Krystal, I never lock myself in my room during the day. Especially if the children are out and about! THAT would be a mess - someone would surely empty the trash while someone else called China and the last hooligan flooded the basement with the washing machine water! Constant supervision!

Tracy, "holding my money hostage" :lol: Hope that resolves quickly!

Nine hours, twelve minutes!

Kara

jandaman
03-11-2008, 01:01 PM
howdy chicas!! just checking in real quick-like and saw all the happy birthday's!!!
awwwwww you shouldn't have *blush* y'all really made my day, thanx! ;)

cheers and ta!!

Pacergal29
03-11-2008, 01:33 PM
Quick check in during lunch. Finally got a full nights sleep lastnight! Hoping this ends the sleepless nights, I am tired of watching the food network on demand at night, I think Rachel Ray and I are best friends now!

Not alot of time for personals but wanted to say:

Kara So excited for you, have fun!

jandaman Happy Birthday. Don't think we have had the pleasure of "meeting" yet!

Gotta run, have a great day chicks!

tomandkara
03-11-2008, 01:47 PM
Hey Stephanie! Glad you got good sleep!

Aw, Jan, I'm glad you are having a happy birthday! Any big plans???

Seven hours, fifty-six minutes!

Kara

mommamurray
03-11-2008, 03:15 PM
Kara,
From your mouth to Gods ear...the bank just called me back and after 12 days they told me my money should be back into my account tomorrow morning. ..
and...my shins did not hurt much at all today.
We lived in Germany when I was a kid. Spangdalem AFB (dont know if I spelled that right lol ) My little brother was born in Bitburg.

KO
03-11-2008, 04:08 PM
Hi Ladies!
The time change and Dh's deployments are messing me up! does anyone have a spare cattleprod? I'm forgetting everything!
Jan Happy Bday!!!
Kara Woohooo the countdowns getting close!
does anyone know a good Ph 1 casserole with chicken?

FluffyK
03-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Sorry - all my cattle prods are in use at this moment.

I'm having a rough time with P1 right now. My stomach is "off" thanks to the preservatives in something from yesterday (I know it sounds wacky, but it really does make me sick) and I really want to eat something calm, not fibrous like veggies or heavy like meat or cheese. :( I just had some almonds (the cashews were in a can and could be the culprits of my yuckies) and am feeling a little better. I need to go shopping, but I need to shower first. I'm going to be in a time crunch this evening, and I'm not looking forward to it. There is so much to do on any given day that this yuckiness really sets me back.

Kara, what's the countdown look like?

Iwant2Bskinny
03-11-2008, 04:54 PM
I have been on SB before, but I have gained weight over the past year or so and needed to get back in gear. I recruited my boyfriend to join me. We live together and I figured that it would be difficult to cook two meals. He wants to lose weight too and he wanted to be supportive.

In case you're wondering....I am trying to lose weight because of my 10 year reunion coming up this summer. I know that my #1 focus should be my health, but while I understand it's importance, looking good and showing off is my #1 concern right now. I don't want that to come across shallow, but I'm sure all you ladies understand...you wanna prove wrong the people who called you plain, ugly, stupid, or.....

I've got something to prove and my appearance is one of them. :)

Day One
I made an omlet with four eggs for us to split. I used a little shredded cheese in it. Tomorrow I think I'll put in some turkey pepperoni and shredded mozzarella. We didn't eat all of the eggs. They were good, but we got SO full. I had a cheese stick for my morning and afternoon snacks. I had a sub salad from Penn Station for lunch. I am trying not to eat out on this diet, but I had plans to meet up with my bff for lunch. She and I had been trying to get together for weeks. She's dieting too... We both resisted temptation of the free cookie. We both had water with our salad.

I've had about 35 oz of water today. I'm going to have a lot of water with dinner. I have a board meeting tonight at 7:30, so I'm going to run home to get dinner cooked and prep some things for tomorrow before I head out again.

My boyfriend had a cheese stick for morning snack and a lettuce wrap "sandwich" with FF turkey breast and cheese. (He just told me over the phone that the turkey had <1 gram of sugar per serving. IS THAT OK!?)

We are having spaghetti squash with homemade SB-friendly sauce. I'm going to put ground turkey in the sauce and top with mozzarella. I'll use the leftover sauce for tomorrow on my "pizza" eggs.

I'm making naked buffalo chicken tomorrow night with a big salad. My boyfriend found Buffalo sauce last night at the store. I'll have to read the name and post it. It's low fat and contains no sugar or carbs. It looks like traditional buffalo sauce. I'm going to drizzle that on the boneless chicken breast and then dip in Hidden Valley Lite Ranch. We'll serve it with a mixed greens salad with plenty of veggies.

I'm going to cut up broccoli, peppers, and cauliflower tonight for quick snacks for this week.

I think I bought groceries to do dinner on Thursday too, but I don't remember what it was.

Does anyone else have any ideas? I want to make sure that we don't get bored with the menu. I love the recipes posted on the forum...Does anyone have any recent favorites?

On Friday, there is a big St. Patty's Day party for the young professionals group that I am a member of and I was looking forward to it. Now, I'm dreading it. Everyone will be drinking and eating pub food. I keep thinking..."Nothing tastes better than thin feels."

Otherwise, this week on SB is going to be pretty easy to get through.

I'll get back in the gym this week too. My boyfriend and I have been walking at least 2 miles a few nights a week. Hopefully, when the weather improves, we'll get into a groove of doing that every day.

Schmoodle
03-11-2008, 05:17 PM
Hi want2be and welcome! Not long ago I asked everyone what their SB faves were, and here's a link to that post. Lots of good ideas there!http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=131670&highlight=faves

Kim_Star060404
03-11-2008, 05:23 PM
In case you're wondering....I am trying to lose weight because of my 10 year reunion coming up this summer. I know that my #1 focus should be my health, but while I understand it's importance, looking good and showing off is my #1 concern right now. I don't want that to come across shallow, but I'm sure all you ladies understand...you wanna prove wrong the people who called you plain, ugly, stupid, or.....

I totally understand. I have been battling with my weight forever, it seems, but what really set me off is DH and I's vacation two weekends ago. We are going to the same place next year and I don't want to be how I am now when we get there. I want to prance around New Mexico looking healthy and thin and at least 50 lbs lighter. I started P1 over again on Sunday and am bound and determined to make this one be the last one. I'm going to do it right this time. It may seem shallow - but who cares? Sometimes the "shallow" motivators are more motivating than just "better health". Whatever gets this weight off and gets us healthy, right?

FluffyK
03-11-2008, 07:25 PM
Kim - I just looked at your goal weight... wow, you are adventurous! You're an inch taller than me and hoping for ten pounds LESS. That WILL be thin!

tomandkara
03-11-2008, 07:28 PM
Two hours, seventeen minutes!

Kierie, I'm sorry you're having a rough time with the time change! Luckily, I'm a clock watcher, which usually is annoying because I can see it's noon and then assume I'm hungry when I'm really not, but it works well for moving from time zone to time zone and for Daylight Savings. I don't usually have a problem at all. But I'm strange. :D

Krystal, what about some cottage cheese or yogurt?

Tracy, I'm glad the bank got their act together! I was about to come whoop 'em!

Welcome to the board want2be! Sounds like you have a good handle on the South Beach lifestyle! I "invented" pizza eggs for myself awhile back and LOVED them! So much fun!

Kara

cottagebythesea
03-11-2008, 08:17 PM
does anyone know a good Ph 1 casserole with chicken?

Two of my absolute favorites are the Chicken Spinach Casserole and Chicken Divan. You can find them both in the Phase 1 Entrees in our recipe section. :)

cottagebythesea
03-11-2008, 08:21 PM
:welcome3: Iwant2Bskinny! Your menu plans for the next several days sounds terrific, I may copy some of your ideas! :) Check out our recipe section for lots of other yummy ideas, too! We're glad you decided to join us.