Old 03-10-2008, 09:16 PM   #1  

S/C/G: SW 275/see ticker/ GW 175

Height: 5'6

Question steel cut oats/ calorie question!

Okay, this is why I hate calorie counting. I need help!

My steel cut oats are from Bob's Red Mill.

Serving size is 1/4 cup
Servings per container:17
Calories: 140
Total fat: 2.5g (.5 saturated)
Carbs: 27g
Fibre: 4g
Sugars: 0 g
Protein: 6g

So I ate 3/4 cup prepared. I probably have another 2 servings of the same size having prepared only 1 cup unprepared oats.

How many calories am I eating for breakfast?? LOL. I sure wish I could figure this out. Maybe this will "out" me as a total math loser.

Cheers,
Ginger
kissingginger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:29 PM   #2  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Math nerd here . . .

If you used 1 cup of oats that's 4 x 140 calories = 560 calories. If that made three approximately equal servings (the one you ate and the two you mentioned having left) that's 560 / 3 = 186.66 (187) calories per serving.

That is, of course only for the oats . . . if you prepared them with milk instead of water, you would have to figure in those calories as well. If you added milk to the finished dish and/or raisins or other fruit, obviously you have to count those calories, too.

Hope this helped a little.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 09:47 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 256/203/150

Height: 5'5"

Steel Cut Oats rock! They stay with you longer and are better for you nutritionally. You can put canned pumpkin and pumpkin pie spice in them giving you protein and veggies. You can put a few crushed walnuts or ground flax seed......yummy!
Iwanawurkit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:09 PM   #4  

Hey Math Nerd!! Super - thanks I am totally not a math nerd. LOL. But it's okay. I'm over it and I ask for help when I need it. Iwannaworkit - yes, I add flax and fruit...YUM! I love the texture of steel cut oats too!

I prepared them in water and then added blueberries (100 calories) and 1 tbsp. flax. (70 calories) so I can figure out those calories.

Hey, I'm visiting Nova Scotia in late may!! I can't wait to see all my family!!

Thanks again,
Ginger

Last edited by kissingginger; 03-10-2008 at 10:10 PM.
Old 03-10-2008, 10:59 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 218/175/155

Height: 5'6"

I'm pretty sure that the nutritional info is for 1/4 cup dry. So if you cooked 1/4 cup of oats with 3/4 cups water you'd end up with approx 1 cup of cooked oatmeal. So the calories would be the same for 1/4c dry and for 1 cup cooked (if you cooked in water that is.)

I love steel cut oats and eat them almost every day for breakfast. I like to add flax seed (ground), cranberries, soy milk, a pinch of cinnamon, and a teaspoon of raw sugar. Yummy!
zenor77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 11:32 PM   #6  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Yes, the nutritional value is for DRY oats, not prepared. So measure them before you make them!
Goddess Jessica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 12:56 AM   #7  

Thanks everyone for your help!

I really thought earlier today that I was eating a little under 540 cal. + my flax seeds and blueberries. I just couldn't get around the fact that it was so high in calories--because it's supposed to be so good for you and I've heard lots of people enjoy eating it. I was like -good grief!- I won't be able to hardly eat anything else for the day.

For 186 calories for today's serving - it was a VERY filling amount. I barely needed any morning snack. Maybe I should eat in in the evening after dinner as a snack to curb "late night munchies"!! I like to eat 6 cups of plain popcorn (no butter, salt) if I'm craving in the evening ....but that's 330 calories. I don't do it every night, but heck, it could sure make a difference.

Thanks everyone!

Cheers,
Ginger
Old 03-11-2008, 07:43 AM   #8  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

I've heard good things about steel cut oats....where can I buy them from?
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #9  
Former Quitter

S/C/G: 310/310/180

Height: 5'7

Wendy, most grocery stores sell steelcut oats in their "organic" or healthy foods aisle. I have also found a brand by Quaker in the cereal aisle. Do you have Kroger's in your area? I know that they carry them.

I agree with Ginger, these are very filling. On the rare days that I don't eat my oats for breakfast, I seem to be constantly hungry for most of the day.
GirlyGirlSebas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM   #10  
Simply Filling Technique

Smile

Thanks again, everyone, for providing all of this information. I had never heard of steel cut oats (along with a lot of other food products mentioned here on this website) and I was sort of afraid to try them although I have been a big fan of regular slow cooking oatmeal since I was knee-high. I guess, I just didn't know where to look or how to prepare them(steel cut) or with what.

Again, thanks to all of you chickies, I am giving my old tongue some new taste sensations!! The next time I am grocery shopping, it will be on my list!!

In the past couple of weeks, I have really brought home some things that I was sort of mystified with how or when I would prepare and eat them but things are falling in line.

Next breakfast: steel cut oats!! (well, there are no rootin' oats around here that I have found...yet!)
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 02:57 PM   #11  
Onward and Downward

I a bedtime snack of oatmeal with raisins cooked right in with it (makes them nice and soft and gooey), plus a little Splenda, a little vanilla, and a good sprinkle of cinammon. My own substitute for rice pudding (which I don't like anyway).
Old 03-11-2008, 02:59 PM   #12  
Onward and Downward

Hope the weather gets a lot better before you come down east in May, GINGER . . . it has been a long and ugly Winter.