Dieting with Obstacles Those with special health concerns such as diabetes, fibromyalgia, pregnancy, etc can post here for extra support and help.

Old 03-10-2008, 04:49 PM   #1  

Height: 5'5"

Default appendix and kidney stones

hey everyone... I just have to vent. I'm sorta frustrated. I've been doing so good at the gym, and with watching what I eat... then, Saturday I had this really bad pain...Turns out I had kidney stones and appendicitis. So, Now I'm sitting here...after having surgery on Sunday morning. They won't let me go home (apparently the anesthesia is affecting my bladder...and it's not letting me go to the bathroom myself)...and I won't be able to work out!!! GRRRR....

I'm so frustrated
mxgirl737 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:08 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 210/164/140

Height: 5'8"

Ugh - that's awful! It's hard enough getting into a routine without making up excuses to slack off and when something like that happens...

DH had to have his gall bladder out last year, and now he's having more pain in the same area. He's got an appointment with his surgeon tomorrow and he'll find out if they need to go back in to remove any leftover stones or adhesions. He's really pissed - if that happens, he won't be able to exercise for a couple of weeks at least, based on the first time 'round. Laproscopic surgery is great, compared to the alternative, but it still takes awhile to get over

Make sure you do start back really slowly, when you're able to do so!!! When DH had his surgery last year, he was able to take slow short walks (like around the block) after three days and after a week he could take a longer one, but still slowly. It took about three weeks before he felt able to walk at normal speed. Part of that was probably just him being too nervous about tearing something - he probably could have done that sort of thing by two weeks if he had to.

BP
bopeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2008, 02:36 PM   #3  
Rosebud

S/C/G: 30/Goal Met:L-XL/relosing some

Sorry for all the pain you've suffered Thankfully, they found the source quickly. I had a cyst burst and after about 3-4 days, they got me to start walking slowly around the hospital (it has a large circular hallway that you can walk around like a track; great idea in the planning there).

In the meanwhile, continue to eat in a healthy way; and with the walking, you shouldn't gain anything. Look at it like a tiny blip in your journey; be sure to ask your doctor what he recommends. You'll be on your way again before you know it ...

ROSEBUD

Last edited by Justwant2Bhealthy; 03-14-2008 at 02:37 PM.
Justwant2Bhealthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2008, 04:00 PM   #4  

So, I'm still frustrated...so I decided to find this thread again and repost. I had my appendix out a little over 2 weeks ago now... I have not been able to go to the gym at all since! I'm feeling really crappy...had to go to the ER last night again for the kidney stone. Turns out I have to have surgery again this tuesday. I haven't really gained anything too much...I mean, I'm fluctuating about 5lbs either way since my surgery. But it's so depressing...and I feel so bloated. I definitely don't feel as energetic and happy as I used to.

I'm also having shortness of breath. My docs think it has something to do with my kidney being swelled and pushing against other organs. I NEVER was short of breath before. ...any one else have problems similar to this? I need some support! I feel like i'm spiraling downwards...getting back into my old eating habits. I just want to cry.
Old 03-28-2008, 09:40 AM   #5  

You certainly don't have to return to your old eating habits. Surgery can cause you to be bloated and show a temporary weight gain. I've had kidney stone surgery where they actually had to cut into my kidney to get it out, appendix, gall bladder and 4 intestinal blockages. It takes at least 6 weeks to get things healing so give yourself plenty of time. When you can't exercise, you have to cut back and eat a little less. I hope things improve for you quickly.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 08:51 PM   #6  

I wish i could...but i just feel more and more hungry. like, I can't help it. I don't know. it's depressing.
Old 03-28-2008, 11:03 PM   #7  

S/C/G: Slow but steady

Height: 5' 11"

I dont mean to be a medical nerd, but you really shouldnt be having shortness of breath from "a kidney pressing on other organs". Uh...no...that makes no sense. Sounds more like you need a second opinion on the shortness of breath. Could be your kidney is not functioning propery and you are getting a build of up fluids and it is manifesting in your lungs or even around your heart. I would look into that, especially if the SOB gets worse.

So sorry about your kidney stones though...been there done that, had stenting, lithotripsy, and the surgery. (i get kidney stones alot...and NO i have NEVER had SOB...even when one of my kidneys became septic with infection and a 104 fever...still no sob from a "kidney pressing on other organs")
Get n healthy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2008, 11:56 PM   #8  

Yea, I was questioning all that too. Especially because before this all happened---my appendix and stuff, I was working out like EVERYDAY...intensely. and I was never short of breath.

The docs did a scan of my lungs to check for clots, they did an electrocardiogram too to check my heart function. That all came back normal. Blood tests...everything normal. My surgeon thought maybe I was getting short of breath because I was overcompensating for the pain. it hurts sometimes when I take a really deep breath...so he thought maybe I was taking shallow breaths, which catches up with me and leaves me feeling short of breath. I don't know. I'm seeing the urologist on monday...and having the surgery again on tuesday I think.

kidney stones are horrible!!! It's sorta funny to think about though...this stupid little stone I have is bigger than my appendix that they had to take out! How weird, huh?