Weight Loss Support - Losing weight is all I think about

Beach Patrol
03-10-2008, 03:11 PM
I am officially OBSESSED with losing weight.

I don't know why it took me THIS LONG to realize it, but I am. Here lately, all I think about is getting thin, being thin, feeling better, looking better, "how-many-calories-are-in-that", does "this" count toward my daily exercise, etc.

I'm driving myself slowly insane, with horrible intervals of sanity. :s: :^:

There's MORE to life than dieting. I KNOW THERE IS. Or at least, there USED to be. :?:

Mayson
03-10-2008, 03:14 PM
I know, every morning I think today is the day I finally will get on track and then eat something bad, regret, obsess and continue the cycle!

tomandkara
03-10-2008, 03:15 PM
I feel the same way. I spend between about 10:00 and 6:00 every day, looking at the clock, calculating how long until I eat my next meal and what it will consist of and what nutritional requirements will be met and how many calories I'll have "left" for a treat at the end of the day...it's a bit maddening, isn't it?

Wish I had an easy solution for you.

Kara

GONNABE165
03-10-2008, 03:19 PM
I had gotten to a point like that and my weight loss had stalled now I just go about my day making the best food choices and exercising when I can and my weight has started to drop again - my thought now is to take it day by day as I have the rest of my life to loose it/maintain

Good luck!

Heidelitos
03-10-2008, 03:33 PM
I'm the same way...I'm always thinking ahead to my next meal, snack, et cet. I'll plan my days around work outs and eating and my "go to" conversation piece is diet, fitness, weight loss...whatever! Whew, it's exhausting when I write it, and I must be exhausting to listen too. I think the solution for me is to hide my crazy and hopefully it will go away when my "diet" turns into a "way of life".

shelbysmom
03-10-2008, 03:38 PM
ME TOO!!!!!!!!!!! I think about it constantly,I think if I eat something is that going to jepordize me? will it matter? I usually end up sharing everything with DS,so he gets close to 1/2 of anything I put in my mouth lately,yes I think I'm obsessed too, I think about it all the time and sometimes I feel like I'm going bonkers.......but I can not help it,I want to be thin,and that's pretty much all I have my sights set on......

audreymonroe
03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I also obsess, but I try to counter that with a plan. I have a diet journal ( I know many of us do), and before breakfast I write out 3 daily goals (which may have to do with diet & exercise or not), my menu and calorie count for the day, and sometimes a daily mantra ("a moment on the lips = years on the hips!"). When I do have a plan, I know that okay, in 3 hours I can eat lunch, and I try to focus on other stuff for those 3 hours. It is quite difficult, though. I'm in the midst of trying to find other "comfort" activities, you know, that have no calories. One is cruising around this site.

Beach Patrol
03-10-2008, 03:40 PM
I'm glad I'm not alone!

I just wonder...will I ever be able to eat food & NOT think about it? I mean, you know.... the break down of carbs, protein, fat, calories. Is "this" on the plan? Can I have "just one"? Etc.

Seriously - I cannot eat anything without dissecting the dickens out of it! :chin: :headache:

Sometimes I feel like I'm really missing the whole point here.

mamac
03-10-2008, 03:42 PM
I am too...i have been told Im obsessed, but when Im not "obsessed" I let other mindless habits get in my way of eating healthy...i dont know if its a bad thing? I met a lady a few years ago, who was very active and healthy...and I said to her "how do you do it" She said, shes lucky because she has never really struggled with her weight but she "makes makes conscious choices every single day" I remember her saying that, cause I was like "what???...you mean...you have to think about it all the time?" Well, after my little struggle....I realize...I too, have to make daily concious choices...maybe thats what we have to do??? I dont know, until it becomes habit..and or second nature...or...easier??? I dont know...i too am obsessed...about everything in the food aspect of my weightloss journey...kinda wish I was more concerned about getting more excerice...and how much!! oh...the journey of weightloss. Im sure after some time...it gets easier...or more second nature...hmmm...

Heffalump
03-10-2008, 03:48 PM
Sigh. I don't have anything to offer besides "yeah, me too." :stars:

And it bugs me how much brain capacity it takes up whenever I get like this. It seems there are only two settings for me: 100% on plan and obsessing all day long, or off the wagon and aggressively avoiding all weight-loss related topics (oh, and it's not that this denial takes up less energy).

It does get better when I'm busy with other things, working towards other goals. I've found that I have more energy and think more positively when I'm on plan, so I've been trying to use that energy for projects such as learning a new language or working on my fitness goals - the latter has helped me a lot, actually: e.g., I've started the Couch to 5k running plan last week, and it makes such a difference to feel like "I'm doing this because I want to be able to run 5k at the end of the program", as opposed to "I'm doing this to burn 234 calories." :)

peachcake
03-10-2008, 03:59 PM
Me too! It was really bad the first couple weeks, but closing in on 6 weeks and I obsess less. I still think about ti constantly but I feel I am actually thinking about it less. It has become more of a habit but it's not an issue. I think, hmm okay what's for dinner. And I don't have to convince myself every day that papa murphy's "deLite" pizzas aren't THAT bad. I just avoid it and it doesn't effect me the way it use to. I think I will always think about it though.

JayEll
03-10-2008, 04:08 PM
Yeah... I know what you mean... I've had times like that, especially when my loss has gotten stalled. Every minute is frustration with trying to figure out what to do to MAKE it happen the RIGHT way... :mad:

But there's something else to consider--and that's the fact that for years, many of us with weight problems never thought at all about what we were eating, beyond the fact that it tasted good.

Wasn't that what life was all about? Eating whatever struck your fancy? Having food to feel better?

Well, now we have to think about it. And it's easy to think that that's an obsession, when it's really just paying attention, isn't it? "Yes, a rack of baby back ribs has a zillion calories! Whatever were you thinking?" And so on... :lol:

As time goes on, one gets more used to paying attention. You have weighed and measured and calculated enough that you very quickly can see from looking at a plate of food how much of it you can eat. No, not ALL the mashed potatoes! Not the WHOLE 12-oz. steak! Not three rolls WITH butter. Maybe no rolls and no butter! It's up to you. A 600 calorie dessert? Hm. Can you split it with someone? Can you be prepared to leave most of it?

(I did this just a couple weeks ago. I had a dessert and I didn't like it, so I left it. Just left it.)

The point is, it's not going to be an obsession forever--but it's also not a "diet" that has an "end point." Remember all those tedious statements about "lifestyle change"? Well... there you have it. Ignore it at your peril...

But what's the alternative? :eek:

Jay

kittycat40
03-10-2008, 04:14 PM
I feel so validated reading all these posts!! THANK YOU EVERYONE.
re: the obsession -- for me it is chronic too.
I sometimes stop and realize I have been to busy to "go there" for the last 45 min. that's always a pleasure.

Beach Patrol
03-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Thank you Jay! - you always make some very good points that leads me to think I'm not so "crazy" after all. :) :hug:

Laura G
03-10-2008, 04:36 PM
Ditto.

Maybe mamac has a point - we may not be all that different from "skinny" people. It is very likely that they obsess just as much as we do. I like feeling like I have something in common with supermodels! ;)

horsey
03-10-2008, 04:41 PM
I was seriously obsessing to lose the last 5 lbs, and Jay's right, many of us were "clueless" as to what we were eating. Once this becomes AUTOMATIC is when we can quit obsessing, I believe. What do shrinks say it takes at least 90 days to form a HABIT? So 90+ days of obsessing is fair, counting calories, taking notes from nutrition/diet books, hanging out here on this site often, learning from others - then somehow there's a transformation, and rather then mindlessly grabbing french fries and junk food, we eat the more healthy choices, and understand how much to eat. I quit obsessing as much when I started the Superfoods "plan" where you just stick with 2-3 breakfasts, all the same and rotate them if you want, same with lunch, not a whole lot of choices. Dinner I do more variety but I watch portions closely. Or with time you just naturally know how many calories you are eating, because for so long you obsessively plugged them into fitday etc?

horsey
03-10-2008, 04:44 PM
I don't know that naturally skinny people obsess that much, especially those that are naturally skinny. I think they have a system they use to stay skinny, they watch their portions, they eat the same meals over and over, they exercise - and those who are skinny for life "just do it." If they overeat, they get out quickly and work harder. They watch their scale and don't go over a set 5 or so lb amount. It's easier to lose weight if you never gain it at all to begin with. It takes a lot of eating to gain a lot of weight. Skinny people just don't go down that road if you watch them, I used to be one and my mother almost 70 is one of those right out of the French Women Don't Get Fat book - moderation, light exercise, walking, etc. It's nice to be skinny and not obsess, French Women do THAT best!

shalu
03-10-2008, 04:47 PM
The discussions exactly reflect my mind..My mind is whole day occupied with this diet, calorie counting stuff..I feel i am not paying much attention to my other priority task in my life and to my family also..I have started my diet change just 6 weeks ago and i console myself that i will be on my track once it becomes my lifestyly

lumifan4ever
03-10-2008, 05:04 PM
I am told i am obsessed with my "diet" too. But if we don't obsess...think about every morsel that goes into our mouths...how do we lose the weight??? It must be an obsession or else mindless eating, mindless calories will seep in and mindless pounds will add back on. So...call me obsessed if you want, but at least I am much slimmer and healthy than i was before i became obsessed. And although i am not losing at the moment, even though i am maintaining my loss ....i still contemplate every bite i decide to put in my mouth and know that too many unplanned bites will cause me to gain weight again. But it does become easier over time...but we must always be mindful of what we eat...or we will suffer the consequences. But don't feel like you are alone. It sounds to me like even the pros of this site, who have lost many pounds and kept them off for many years, still have to contemplate how much to eat.

LittleMoonRabbit
03-10-2008, 05:23 PM
I'm obsessed too. But part of me feels we kinda have to be... or else we might mindlessly slip back into old habits.

Glory87
03-10-2008, 05:29 PM
I have posted this before - but it's still true for me. I have to budget the calories I eat, just like I budget the money in my account. If I overdraw my bank account, I'll get fees and it could hurt my credit report and all kinds of terrible things - I HAVE to be careful and know what I'm spending and how it fits within my budget. Wouldn't I love to just go to the mall and buy EVERYTHING I want?? I would love to! I'd have a better, prettier car, live in a huge house, have a cleaning service, get DAILY massages, travel to exotic locales, fly first class - the list of financial "I wants" is endless.

Wouldn't I love to eat EVERYTHING I want? I would love to - but I can't.

After nearly 3 1/2 years since I started, I still think about food/eating way more than a "normal" person. I have had to accept this since I am not an "intuitive" eater and never will be. It did get easier for me, I have so many habits and favorite meals/foods that it involves a lot LESS thought. I make lists on Sunday, I go to the store, I make all my lunches on Sunday, I know what I'm having for dinner every night, I know the basic calorie count for almost everything I eat (and if I plan to make a new recipe, it's usually in the 300-500 calorie range like all my dinners).

Maybe it's boring, but I pretty much rotate the same 4 things for breakfast, between 2-3 different lunches and around 10 dinners - my snacks are the same every day. It's just "plug and chug" menu planning at this point. It's all tried and true, I know I'm eating the right amount of the right kinds of food. I rarely eat offplan foods because I want to limit the endless "is this okay, is this okay, is this okay" thinking. I have a snack planned, I'll just eat that.

kittycat40
03-10-2008, 05:37 PM
I recently heard Gwen Stefani (singer) say she is always hungry/thinking of food and planning her next meal.
WE ARE NOT ALONE

Kery
03-11-2008, 07:07 AM
Hear, hear. Although I don't agree on the "we have to be obsessed" part. Aware, yes. Obsessed, no -- at least, being obsessed is mainly what led me to binging, which was something I never did before, so in the end, I don't really see what kind of good it did to me. I know, calories in vs. calories out. It's good to know that pizza is a calories-dense food and we shouldn't eat a lot of it. Alright. Where I draw the line is when I start to think "oh noes, an apple is 90 CALORIES! It's a lot!". When I found myself having that kind of thoughts, I knew I was obsessing.

I believe there's a middle-ground to be found, even if it may not be the same for everyone. In my case, I know that the more I think about food/weight loss/etc., the harder it gets. On the other hand, give me a day filled with school work and generally being busy with things that interest me, and I'll skip meals, won't feel like eating, will only eat veggies, some fish and a yogurt... that kind of things. (I mean, naturally, not because it's low-cal.) Which tells me that my body knows what's best for me, and that it's only when I let my mind (too much thinking as well as boredom eating and the likes) take over that problems begin.

This said, I'm still kind of obsessed. And honestly? It sucks, and I don't even lose weight in the process, and I'd be glad if it could be over, so that I can finally be normal again. :?:

jellydisney
03-11-2008, 07:59 AM
Maybe it's boring, but I pretty much rotate the same 4 things for breakfast, between 2-3 different lunches and around 10 dinners - my snacks are the same every day. It's just "plug and chug" menu planning at this point. It's all tried and true, I know I'm eating the right amount of the right kinds of food. I rarely eat offplan foods because I want to limit the endless "is this okay, is this okay, is this okay" thinking. I have a snack planned, I'll just eat that.

Ditto, that's also I temper the obsession. I eat the same things every day at the same time for breakfast, mid-morning snack, lunch, and mid-afternoon snack. I leave more room for variety at dinner, but I plan everything I'm going to cook that week on Sunday. So there's no guesswork involved = nothing to obsess about (except exercise lol).