Old 03-10-2008, 01:37 PM   #1  

Default ugh... taco john's!!!

My mom brought home taco john's (for herself), and ate it in front of me, as I was eating a slim-fast bar... But now all I can think of is going to get taco john's.... Its my favorite fast food!

See! This is why I always fail!! I just don't have enough will power to say NO, I want it, because its comforting, and its something to do, instead of being bored.

And now that I "Can't have it" because I'm "on a diet" makes me want it even more!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:02 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 344/279.1/???

Height: 5'6"

Is there a way you can plan it in. That's what usually helps me out. Even if it's something junky and unhealthy, if it's something I really want, I will plan for it a couple of days down the road.
barbygirl43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:17 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 307/172/153.5 (half of SW)

Height: 5'8''

I LOVE Taco John's. I was raised on it (my mom managed 2 out of the 3 restaurants we had in town for years). I hadn't eaten it for years because they all closed down when I was a teenager, and then, ironically enough, right before I moved into the town I live in now, one opened up!! I hadn't eaten it in over 10 years, so when I stopped in, it was just like I remembered!! It was very nostalgic for me.

Sorry for the aside, but I couldn't help it. Maybe you should go to your room when she brings that stuff around. Have you told her that you're dieting and would appreciate if she didn't eat it around you or even bring it into the house. It gets easier as time goes by, it's rough to get used to the idea of "depriving" yourself of what you want, but stick with it, and in no time, you'll be able to look and smell Taco John's and won't want to scramble to get some.
HarpoChicoGroucho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:23 PM   #4  
Simply Filling Technique

Lightbulb It's not about Taco John's though....

You mentioned that you were feeling deprived, bored, and wishing you weren't dieting. We all get that from time to time,lalique, the main thing is you recognized it for what it was.

I agree that if you see Taco John's as being a part of your life you can make plans for it at some point in the future. I am not familiar with their menu but if you can go online and see what they have you can figure out beforehand and find something you can enjoy from that. It can become a "planned cheat".

I find that those protein bars are not satisfying and filling enough by themselves. I consider them only as "emergency foods" like being stranded on a desert island and that was the only thing in my purse or overnight bag.

You can learn to eat real foods and still lose weight. Others have and you can too!

Last edited by pamatga; 03-10-2008 at 02:24 PM.
pamatga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 02:32 PM   #5  
The Radiant One

S/C/G: 250/142/135

Height: 5'2"

Here is some nutritional info on Taco John's
http://www.fastfoodnutrition.org/r-n...ohns-item.html

If you can fit something into your program - plan for it, enjoy and don't regret it. Looks like a soft or crispy taco might not be too hard to plan for.

Last edited by fiberlover; 03-10-2008 at 02:33 PM.
fiberlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:10 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 274/259/135

Height: 5'4

i know exactly what you mean, thats the worst! i live with my boyfriend who can eat any and everything and never gain any weight. Our place is PACKED with yummy snacks (he hates to cook so he just snacks all day).

I have no idea what a Taco John's is (never heard of it) but can you make a healthy mexican dinner? maybe a chicken breast baked with salsa and a little melted cheese (low fat or regular, whatever you eat) over brown rice? I've made this a few times and it's good! you can even throw on some shredded lettuce and fat free sour cream. I make it extra spicy because it's more satisfying for some reason.

Last edited by DCchick; 03-10-2008 at 03:11 PM.
DCchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:16 PM   #7  
Long Time Member

Height: 5'6

Let it go for now and if in a day or 2, you are still craving it, then I say have it. See what choices would do the least damage and go have a taco. Sometimes we end up eating a bunch of stuff we don't even want because we aren't letting ourselves have the 1 thing we want. And then sometimes the craving just goes away.
Sandi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:37 PM   #8  
IncredibleShrinkingWoman

S/C/G: see ticker

Height: 5'11"

Lalique, does your mom know you're dieting? I's ask her to pleaseeeeeeee not bring that stuff in the house when you're around. I have this same problem with my husband, too. He and my daughter eat junk food sometimes, and there are some things I just cannot even LOOK at some foods or else I'll go nuts, so I make them stop eating and put it away immediately or wait until I'm gone.

Cravings are temporary. They are conditioned responses, like Pavlov's bell. If you don't see something, you're not going to get the trigger for it. But having to sit there and watch someone eat something that you desperately want is adding insult to injury. It turns the craving into this whole other beast.

If you deprive yourself too much, your body will revolt and your diet will fail. You cannot deprive yourself of something you really want. Like everyone said, work something from Taco John's into your plan. =D Look up nutritional facts, choose something. One taco or burrito from there won't hurt you or make you fat. Binging on like, dunno, five nacho supremes (sorry, I don't know Taco John, we just have Taco Bell here) all the time will.
bigtxmomma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 03:52 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 278/see ticker/168

Height: 5'6"

I read a book called the Beck Diet solution and one thing I gleaned from it is this. Every time you cave and get something you are craving that is unhealthy, you are strengthening your "giving in muscle." Every time you say no, you strengthen your "resistance muscle." It's true. Each time you give in makes it easier to give in next time, ut when you resist it gets easier and easier to say no and see results.

Sometimes its really hard but we just gotta tell our kid-selves, "No, honey, that is not good for you and you may not have it right now."
Lyn2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:27 PM   #10  

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiberlover View Post
Here is some nutritional info on Taco John's
http://www.fastfoodnutrition.org/r-n...ohns-item.html

If you can fit something into your program - plan for it, enjoy and don't regret it. Looks like a soft or crispy taco might not be too hard to plan for.
Thanks so much for that link!! A softshell taco isn't as bad as I thought it was!!
lalique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 07:39 AM   #11  
In Onderland!!!!

S/C/G: 227/227/140

Height: 5'4

I agree with most of the posters here....go ahead and have something small just to fill that craving. I get certain food places on my mind and then I have a hard time letting it go. I don't know what plan you are following but I am on WW and with that, you get a few extra points each week for special occasions. =)
wendymeows is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 10:16 AM   #12  
low carbin' it

S/C/G: ~256/153.5/154

Just remember, it's one taco that you looked at. I know the danger with fast food for me was overeating. Get the one thing you want and that is healthier, get it through drive through, drive away and eat it at home.
bluex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #13  

Height: 5' 6

I never tell myself I can't have something. That just makes me want it more, and then I can't stop thinking about it. I just tell myself I'll have it on Friday or Saturday or whatever. Usually by the time that day comes around I don't even want it anymore. If you still want it the day you told yourself you were going to have it, go for it. Just eat a little bit of it. Like get one taco. That should satisfy your craving and you'll still feel good about your diet! GL
MandiK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2008, 05:50 PM   #14  
Keto on!

S/C/G: 256/200/180

I also never tell myself I can't have something, but maybe plan ahead for it. I don't eat a lot of fast food but if I do I pick calories choices within plan. Last night I was so sick (sinusitis and terrible pleurisy every breath hurts) and tired and my husband said we could get something quick and in plan. I had two spicy chicken soft tacos from taco bell (extra lettuce) with my salad. 340 cal and quite filling. Probably not the healthiest choice, but it was filling and within my cal limit.
Gela is offline   Reply With Quote