Nutrition and Labeling - This weeks healthiest food - Grapefruit

nelie
03-10-2008, 10:35 AM
I don't eat much grapefruit although I love it. Unfortunately it interferes with many medications, including birth control. As much as I love Grapefruit, I don't want a Grapefruit baby :)

Food of the Week . . . Grapefruit
Did you know that the nutrients found in grapefruit can promote a healthy heart? Grapefruit is a good source of dietary fiber and contains pectin, a type of soluble fiber that forms a gel-like substance in the intestinal tract that can trap fats like cholesterol. In animal studies, grapefruit pectin inhibited the development of atherosclerosis. Animals fed a high cholesterol diet with added grapefruit pectin had 24% narrowing of their arteries, while animals fed only the high-fat diet had 45% narrowing. Grapefruit is also a good source of the mineral potassium, which helps to regulate blood pressure. Additionally, red and pink grapefruit contain lycopene, a powerful antioxidant carotenoid that has been found to inhibit free radical damage to LDL cholesterol. Higher body levels of lycopene (a reflection of dietary intake) have been associated with reduced risk of cardiovascular disease.
http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=foodspice&dbid=25

yoyonomoreinvegas
03-10-2008, 10:52 AM
Yay! I love grapefruit and have one every morning. Thanks for letting me know I'm doing a better thing for my health than I thought!

cbmare
03-10-2008, 01:08 PM
I love it, too! In fact, we had a pomello with our roasted chicken last night.

When I was on cholesterol meds, grapefruit was forbidden. Since I'm not on any right now, I'm lovin' it!

I didn't know that about the birth control. Funny how grapefruit will mess with meds but oranges and lemons don't.

meowee
03-10-2008, 01:20 PM
Yep . . . grapefruit is a wonderful food and one that I really, really miss since I've been taking Lipitor. Enjoy it . . . It's great.

rockinrobin
03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
I am not a huge fan of grapefruit. I can't remember the last time I ate it.

But, I have had Pomellos, like cbmare mentioned. I buy it for the weekend usually and the family shares one. I like the consistiency MUCH better.

Funny thing. While someone was questioning me about my weight loss and the foods that I eat, this woman said I must eat lots of grapefruit. I told her that I haven't eaten one in years. She INSISTED that in order to lose weight, one MUST eat grapefruit. I mean incredibly, incredibly insistient. It took everything I had to not let into her. :dizzy:

Lovely
03-10-2008, 02:53 PM
I didn't know that grapefruit could interfere with medications! (Especially BC :eek::fr: !!!!!)

It's a good thing I've never liked it. Even with sugar (the good ole' fashioned way my parents used to have it) I just can't stomach it. Leaves a bitter aftertaste :p

I'm all over almost every kind of fruit & veg there is available... but grapefruit is one of the very few that I just don't want to eat. Oh well! Plenty of other delicious fruit/veg make up for that! :hun:

Robin - If it took eating grapefruit, then I guess you & I haven't really lost any weight! :lol:

cbmare
03-10-2008, 03:01 PM
Robin, if that was all there was to losing weight, then none of us would need this support forum and the world would be a skinny place. I can't believe how some people insist that they know how you lost all that weight when you were the one doing it!

ennay
03-10-2008, 05:48 PM
vomit vomit vomit...one of the few foods I truly detest

LLV
03-10-2008, 06:49 PM
vomit vomit vomit...one of the few foods I truly detest

I'm afraid I'll have to second this. I can't stand it either.

BillBlueEyes
03-10-2008, 07:10 PM
I love grapefruit. Eat a half as my evening snack 3x per week in season. After carefully eating the meat of each section, I then slowly rip up the sections and eat all that goodness as well - leaving only a smooth bowl for the compost bin.

Thank you California. Thank you Florida. Thank you Texas. Keep them coming.

[Thanks for the reminder to enjoy them now while I'm not taking any interfering medications.]

rockinrobin
03-11-2008, 10:23 AM
Robin, if that was all there was to losing weight, then none of us would need this support forum and the world would be a skinny place. I can't believe how some people insist that they know how you lost all that weight when you were the one doing it!

Robin - If it took eating grapefruit, then I guess you & I haven't really lost any weight! :lol:

Yes, Faerie, I wanted to tell her something to that affect. A few other things too ;). Like if I should ever gain the weight back (G-d forbid), I'll try it her way next time, since there can't be any possible way to lose weight TWICE without eating grapefruit. Could you imagine?

WaterRat
03-11-2008, 07:15 PM
Mmmm. I like them, but like several others, I'm not supposed to eat grapefruit with my meds. I looked up lipitor which is the main one, and found that grapefruit makes it do whatever exactly is that it does more so. :lol: I only recently found this out, but I only eat them occasionally, and haven't had any adverse effects. Now interference with BC I can understand not eating it!

Darkblue
03-11-2008, 09:21 PM
I like grapefruits, but have to sprinkle a bit of sugar on them! Didn't know they interfered with BCPs, though!

doubtingJulia
03-13-2008, 09:44 PM
They also interfere with many anti-depressants and anxiety medication or anti-psychotics. Needless to say, I can't eat them. :-)

zenor77
03-14-2008, 01:39 AM
I like the red ones, but I'm not so keen on the regular kind. They always seem to be more expensive then other citrus though, so I just buy oranges instead.

Judith6
03-15-2008, 10:57 PM
Love ruby red grapefruits! Ahh.. I haven't had 'em in so long, though :(

JasonsLea
03-17-2008, 06:46 AM
Love love love grapefruit! When I was little, I ate it with sugar but now I rarely do that. My sister can't understand how I can stand it!

SuchAPrettyFace
05-11-2008, 01:16 AM
I used to eat them like an orange, but without the membranes. I would just suck the meat out & throw the membranes away. I wonder if they are as healthy that way?

Haven't eaten one in almost 3 years due to the clinical trial I am doing but come January you bet your sweet bippy I will be having some.

fuzzysockpuppets
05-12-2008, 12:41 AM
I like grapefruit, until that aftertaste comes. :o

Penney
06-08-2008, 04:19 PM
I have never been a huge fan of grapefruit - but every once in a while I will get one and put in a smoothie - to disguise the aftertaste....... But after hearing all the good it can do - I think I will start doing that at least once a week.........

kaplods
06-08-2008, 08:56 PM
I love pink grapefuit, but take cholesterol meds (and bc). My husband was paranoid that I would occasionally have a Fresca, or diet Squirt so I asked the pharmacist, and he told me that the grapefruit juice in sodas were minimal, so I didn't have to worry about those, and that I could have grapefruit juice or fruit about once a week, especialy if I time it away from my pills.

This was working fine, but I really only had grapefruit about twice since getting this advice, and then I read a couple articles that said while the risk was very low, smaller amounts of grapefuit than generally was proclaimed safe can cause the interaction, and there was no known "safe amount" for grapefruit. This really bummed me out. But, at it the most, I would eat grapefruit less than twice a month, so I guess I'm not missing nearly as much as I think I am. I don't really think about it much, unless I see the grapefruit in the store, and I guess just not being able to have it makes it look so much more appealing.

WebRover
06-08-2008, 09:17 PM
Mmmmm I love grapefruit - especially pink grapefruit. We have a tree in our yard and when they're in season, we really enjoy them. We either peel them and section them or cut off the peel and chunk them up.

kaplods
06-08-2008, 09:35 PM
I love Ugli (pronounced ugly) fruit too. A cross between a tangerine and a grapefruit, they taste like lemonade, but they're often $2 or more for one. I read that some citrus besides grapefruit does contain the substance that interacts with the meds, but the article writer was uncertain whether they contained enough to trigger the reaction. Pommelos and seville oranges, I think. I'd suspect the Ugli and Uniqu fruits too (brand names by the guy that created the hybrids).

If you've never had an Ugli fruit, I'd really recommend trying one, even if you have to shell out $2. They're best peeled like an orange (the ugly green wrinkly peel comes off easily like a tangerine's).