Depression and Weight Issues Have you been diagnosed with depression, are possibly on depression medication, and find it affects your weight loss efforts? Post here for support!

Old 03-09-2008, 11:14 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 340/340/175

Height: 5'5"

Default Here I go again.... Need to control my Anxiety!

Hello,
Here I am again, it's been awhile...... I am so fed up with myself. Ive been here, and then left because I felt like a failure to myself, and everyone here who is trying.

I am very overweight, needing to lose 100+ pounds. BUT, I am so paranoid, anxious, and due to that, having panic attacks.

I have been clinically diagnosed with GAD w/ Panic Attacks, and I take Lexapro.

Here is what I do......

I get all ready and pumped up to lose weight, get myself a good diet plan, and an exercise regimin, and get all pumped up, like this here carrot guy and then, BAM. I get Panic Attacks.

Over what you ask? Well, I worry that I am so heavy and out of shape, that if I try to exercise, I'll have a heart attack.

Doctors say "No, you're good, go ahead and exercise....." But, when I start walking, I get all winded, and you know how it is, you get winded, therefore you can't breath, you get tight-chested .....and if you have panic attacks, that then turns into "I'm having a heart attack".

So that ends my exercise.... for good.

But, I don't want it to anymore...... I really really want to do this, but I am so afraid I'm going to keel over.

I finally admitted this to myself tonight, that THIS is my Problem. This is why I keep "post-poning" my weight loss/dietting.

Does that make sense?! Probably not....... but, it's what I'm doing.......

I was just diagnosed with HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE the other day, and now I'm REALLY spazzing out...... I need to lose weight, but I'm afraid to do what it takes. Why or How does that make sense?!

The HBP is REALLY freaking me out.

Thanks for listening....
Tabby Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:24 PM   #2  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Ahhhh....I can relate. I have anxiety and panic attacks, and they're terrible. Funny thing is, I do cardio and I feel fine, but once I am laying in bed, I swear I am having a heart attack. It's terrible, and it sounds crazy to those who don't live with it, but I know that you mean. I really don't know what to tell you, other than you have to remember that your doc has cleared you for exercise. If you would be more comfortable just walking 30 minutes a day, that's a great place to start!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:47 PM   #3  

Hi Cassie,
Good job on your current weight loss, that is great!

Do you get the chest pains and such while your laying in bed, or do you just obsess and think about it?

I know it's hard to understand if you dont actually have them yourself, sometimes people look at me, and think OMG she really IS having a heart attack, because they don't know....they take my "word" for it.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 AM   #4  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

Height: 5'3

I suffer from horrible panic attacks..It feels like my chest is going to explode and I almost always end up crying & throwing up. I'm currently on Prozac for depression & anxiety. I agree with Cassie, walking 30 mins a day is a great start. Start off slowly.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 05:04 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 336/294/165

Height: 5.5

Smile

I can so relate. I am sitting up now trying to avoid going to bed for fear of a panic attack. Why is it during the day you are fine, but the minute you hit the pillow you are suddenly going to die. I am so happy I came here to see your post because now I don't feel so alone. I too am above 300 and so afraid of over working my heart, but in our logical mind we know that exercise can only strengthen it. Just start slow, like walking and once you have more stamina do more. Good Luck!!!!!
Nicole
uhaveaprettyface is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:46 AM   #6  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

OMG this couldn't have come at a better time.... YES YES YES I do understand how you feel. I had a melt down on Saturday...major melt down...just like you described, like my heart was gonna explode from my chest being so tight. I get panic attacks as well and thats why I avoid social situations not fun.

Francie how is Prozac working for you with the anixety part? I was on it years ago for depression and am thinking of going back on it.

Tabby hon <---thats a big hug from me. How about just focusing on your diet instead of diet & exercise etc all at once....it might be easier. I have the same problem, if I have to much to deal with... boy do I panic and poof....... I blow everything.

to everyone

Last edited by Leenie; 03-10-2008 at 08:47 AM.
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 10:28 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 177/157/138

Height: 5'6"

I also suffer from panic attacks mainly at night but also at times when I exercise. I also think it is because I worry I am going to kill myself over doing it. I even got a heart monitor and that made it much worse. My doctor said not to use the monitor and I went back on Paxil. The Paxil has made a huge difference for me. I only take 5mg a day but after about two weeks, I am now able to participate in whatever I want without panic attacks. I do exercise very moderately though. I "run" at 4.3 on the treadmill and I do low impact aerobic moves in classes. If I feel winded I can also do less arm moves. I believe exercise really helps with the anxiety problems so I hope you don't stop trying. Maybe just walking on a level track and when you are ready you can add fast walking for half the loop or something along those lines.
TERAPET is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 01:28 PM   #8  
I was born this way hey!

S/C/G: Not telling/Shh/150

OMG!! I dunno what it is about the nighttime that brings it out!! But during my dh's deployment last year, I would be having panic attacks during the days AND nights..and sometimes even in my sleep!! I'd have them every single day. I was on Zoloft & Xanax. But the Zoloft made my depression worse, and Xanax would knock me out all day long. So I stopped taking them.

I had a really bad one last night that lasted 4 hours!! It would stop, then start back up. I felt so horrible, cuz I was keeping DH awake until 3am, and he had to go to work at 6am. I pretty much know why all this stuff is happening again. I'm stressed out, and dh is getting ready to go back out on workups again. He's not even deploying, so I dunno what my deal is. Plus its sorta hit me that my mom has been gone for 2 years. My doc thinks I have post tramatic stress because of everything that happened with her...

Last year though, my doctor recommended that I get this book called.."The Anxiety & Phobia Workbook" by Enmund J. Bourne. It helped me a lot last year!!! I used to read it when I was having a panic attack, and they'd go away. I think I need to start reading it again, lol. But I recoomend the book to anyone with Anxiety.

Oh..and Leenie, I just started taking Prozac last week. So I dunno about it yet. I'll let you know in a few weeks if you want.

My docs always tell me that exercise is a good way of dealing with anxiety. Sometimes I find that just by walking around the house when you're having one..and telling yourself that you're okay and that you WILL NOT panic is a good way to make them stop. (I think I read that in the book) It sounds crazy, but it sometimes works. I had to do that last night.

Last edited by Shopaholic1204; 03-10-2008 at 01:32 PM.
Shopaholic1204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 PM   #9  

Hi everyone!

Thank you all so much for the encouragment. I sort of worked my way through that one, and I'm hoping to not have another.

I'm sorry I didnt reply anymore last night, but I got myself all worked up, thought it would be best to turn my computer off and just chill. I fell asleep.

I don't know what it is about nighttime, but you're right - they are worse at night.

I do take Lexapro, and Ive called it my miracle drug, because it took away the worst of the worst. I used to be real bad. But, due to other things I am struggling with, I found myself taking more medicine than most 90 year olds. So, I stopped taking the Lexapro - BAD idea I know. So, I think maybe that is why I started getting worked up. Due to not taking them. I took one last night, and swore (my DH made me) to not stop taking them again.

I take Klonopin as needed, but when you NEED it, you won't take it - because you're afraid to. UGH! What a vicious cycle!

I called my doctor today, and had a little phone conversation with him. He was sweet about it, and was patient. He told me I am ABSOLUTELY safe to do exercises... and whatever. So, I need to keep reminding myself that.

Prettyface, we will be here for each other now! I'm glad you came out and posted your story too!

Leenie, I think I was trying to do too much. I was told I had prehypertension almost stage 1, and when I was told all that. I came home, and tried to diet, exercise, quit smoking, remove all the stress in my life, in a matter of hours - and I think I freaked myself out.

Thank you all for being here to talk to! You're the best. I'm going to stick with it this time, I know I will!

Old 03-20-2008, 04:30 PM   #10  

I was on Lexapro for several years for GAD and had Xanax for when a panic attack hit. I also have social phobias. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in November. I am taking Seroquel and Lamictal. I also have Xanax available if I need it. I was taken off the Lexapro three weeks ago. The Seroquel/Lamictal combination seems to be working pretty good for me. I've been able to get the Xanax down to once or twice a day depending on what is happening. I am going through a really rough time right now so I have been depending on Xanax to keep my GAD under control. I filed for a divorce at the end of January and my husband won't move out of our home - it is a real mess and very stressful for me. He is an alcoholic so I never know what to expect.
want2bskny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:15 PM   #11  

Height: 5' 5"

Tabby Cat, do you have an exercise partner? Or someone you can meet in the middle while walking? I wonder if knowing that someone will be meeting you to either help talk you down or be there if you do have a heart attack (even though you know you won't) will cut down the panic.

Panic is horrible and panic attacks are so scary. I feel like I am in a constant state of mild panic and my therapist is helping me learn to identify early signs of anxiety and practice deep breathing. It's really hard to commit to, though, because I feel foolish while breathing. BUT panic is terrible....ah! again the cycle.

I know what you mean about the clonopin. I feel the same way with them. In the throes of panic attacks, you can talk yourself out of anything.

Thank you.

Last edited by jerzygal; 03-20-2008 at 07:16 PM.
jerzygal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:24 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/228/199

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerzygal View Post
Tabby Cat, do you have an exercise partner? Or someone you can meet in the middle while walking? I wonder if knowing that someone will be meeting you to either help talk you down or be there if you do have a heart attack (even though you know you won't) will cut down the panic.
This is exactly what I was going to suggest. My college roommate was so great with me when I had panic attacks. She'd tuck me into bed, turn on the Christmas lights that we strung everywhere, make me a cup of tea, and put on an episode of Star Trek for me, one of the funny ones, even though she didn't like them. I've never struggled with anxiety while exercising specifically, but I imagine it would be horrible.

If you have a friend who knows what you're going through, that could help a lot. She (or he) could be that slow, calm voice through the haze of panic that just keeps saying, "You're having a panic attack, not a heart attack, you're going to be fine, breathe in, breathe out, you're going to make it."

I also recommend starting out slow. Try not to get out of breath - just walk slowly and listen to music or an audio book or something on level ground or a track. Don't pay attention to speed or distance, just walk as gently as you need and stop whenever you need. Don't push yourself - if exercise generates anxiety for you, then you need to tone it down and not push yourself so hard!

We're here for you. I hope it gets better!
emmyroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 04:42 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 150/145/105

Height: 4'10"

I am on Zoloft and lately....I have been having a horrible time sleeping and once I get to sleep I wake up and my arms feel like they need to move or I will just die and my heart is racing!! I have sleeping meds (trazodone) but I really hate taking them....I feel so tired the next day...worse then I would have stayed up the whole night. I am really hoping that working out will help me sleep better.
Missakay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:11 PM   #14  
The High-Carb Rebel

S/C/G: 175ish/175ish/145ish

Sorry to get OT, but...

Missakay - I just thought I'd point out that the cat in your picture looks a lot like my kitty! And where in MN are you at? I'm in Minneapolis, but originally from Waseca.

...okay, I'm done. hehe
lessthansign3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2008, 06:29 PM   #15  
Amy

S/C/G: 328/see ticker/170

Height: 5' 8"

I have bipolar disorder which has such a range of symptoms. The anxiety is very difficult.

I've been paying for a gym membership at the YMCA for years, using it on and off. But now I'm anxious about people staring at me because I am so fat.

So then I think, I'll just take a walk on the road. But lots of people walk on my road. I think it will be embarassing when people pass me because I'm so out of shape which makes me anxious.

I know I'm overthinking and I just got to get moving. But it's nice that other people understand.
Amy
oreokitty is offline   Reply With Quote