Weight Loss Surgery If you've had it, or are considering it, share your discussions here

Old 03-09-2008, 12:19 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Default Trials and Errors and learning

Well I have been home for 3 full days now and am doing really well over all. Did nothing but water that first day and popsicles. I have been able to get my water okay. Been trying to makes sure to introduce things small and slowly. I have been doing like an ounce at a time of anything new. I have found that my Prozac is the hardest to figure out. I have generic so its capsule and we can do capslues. The doctore warned me that the Prozac was a very nasty tasting med. I have been trying to find something to empty them into that will help with the bitter taste. I tried many things and I hit the worst and best all this morning. I have some of that Prostat 64 protein and so far it has been way to sweet even added to things. So like and idiot I tried it and the Prozac straight! Needless to say it came right back up! ( my only dump so far). So we added it to DC coffee and it worked out really well. Bingo But so far sweet things do not settle really well, any suggestions? Hope all is well with everyone else. I will post more soon.
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 12:42 PM   #2  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Ohh grinding up meds or dumping capsules into food is GROSS !! Been there LOL I'm not sure what your allowed to have at this point...are you allowed to drink SF yogurt? maybe mix a small amount of that with your capsule?

How about sugar free cranberry juice...the tartness and sweetness mix might help you get that pill/powder down.

I'm sure Jiffypop will have some idea's for you.

Hang in there trial & error for sure.

Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2008, 11:39 PM   #3  
my girls

S/C/G: 379/341/180

Height: 5'7

do you have to break up your meds or can you just swallow them whole? just wondering. i was careful at first but i found i could do it so i do. is that right....
mistymed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:16 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 350/215/180ish

Height: 5'6

I don't have to break up my meds. I'm only two weeks out and I can swallow them. Maybe it's one of those YMMV things...because I can easily swallow pills....

When you say sweets do you mean fruit juice? My Dr. told me to water them down. I don't really like sweet juices so I didn't have any. The only juices that I really like are orange juice and 100% cranberry juice. I can't have the o.j. for now. I've even noticed some of my favorite Crystal Light flavors seems "sweet" and too strong. I just add a bit more water or some ice and let it melt.
FlourGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:53 AM   #5  
Moderator & Happy Chick

Height: 5' 10"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mistymed View Post
do you have to break up your meds or can you just swallow them whole? just wondering. i was careful at first but i found i could do it so i do. is that right....
Just be careful your pills are no bigger than an M&M. The tighter you get the more of a chance you won't be able to swallow pills and have them pass through the band. Did you know there's a list of meds you really shouldn't take with the band? It should be posted as a sticky above.

What I do is take liquid tylenol for adults (I get it at walgreens or ask your local supermarket to carry it...they will) or I use my pill cutter. For antibiotics, my doctor gives me liquid form.... btw lots of pills come in liquid form, you just have to ask. Swallowing a capsule and having it come back up is REALLLLLY gross lol.

Check this out...some meds can damage the pouch (Lapband).

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=85115

Last edited by Leenie; 03-10-2008 at 08:55 AM. Reason: adding link
Leenie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:34 PM   #6  

Default Hi

Sounds like you have some responses already...

Just want to clarify - you vomited. You didn't dump. There's a distinct difference between the two
simplystefani is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 04:57 PM   #7  
Old Cackler

it's not usually a good idea to break capsules - but if that's what your doc told you to do, then we'd better help you figure it out!

and i have no ideas. really - i don't. fruit juice might not be a good idea right now because ALL of it has some carbs in it - and that might be upsetting your tract. i'll have to think about this.

my current bout of bronchitis has made my brain stupid!
jiffypop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 06:43 PM   #8  
No description available.

Prozac is available in a liquid form, so it might be worth asking your doc about that alternative. Usual disclaimers apply. :-)
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:02 PM   #9  
KO
In Pursuit of Divatude!

That could be an interestingi cocktail
Would you care for some feelings of control shaken or stirred?
KO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2008, 08:45 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 316/SD300/254/180 RNY 3-4-08

Height: 5'8

Thanks for all the good responses!!! Midwife hit it on the head. I talked the pharmacist today and found out about the liquid form. I just have to call the doc and nave them give me a script for it! Just have to make it through til then!
whitelion30 is offline   Reply With Quote