Exercise! - Loving the StepMill

View Full Version : Loving the StepMill

Nori71
03-08-2008, 03:49 PM
So, does anyone else here like the StepMill? I just started it a few days ago. It took getting out of a comfort zone for me to get on it - since it's so *tall* and places your booty right at eye level of everyone on the ellipticals and bikes! (Just in case they hadn't noticed the size of it already.:D) Anyways, I started at 5 minutes after doing my regular 60 min on the elliptical. I've been adding 1 minute a day and look forward to being able to do it for 20+ minutes. Shy of running, which I'm leary of doing much of at this weight, it gets my HR WAY up there. It kicks my ***. Hopefully quite literally.

Anyone use it regularly? I never see many people on it at the gym. Occasionally, there's the mountain climber type training on it all geared up with huge backpacks. :dizzy: But most of the time it's sits there unused.

Ilene
03-09-2008, 12:16 PM
Yes, I have used it and YES it does kick butt, literally... Good for you for stepping out of your comfort zone and trying it out...

BlueToBlue
03-09-2008, 12:45 PM
Yes, I've used it and I love it too! It really does kick butt. I also like that, similar to a treadmill (and unlike the elliptical, where it's up to me to maintain the pace), the machine sets the speed and I just have to keep up. I also like that it requires a lot less coordination than a stair master (which I am just miserable on). And it sort of cool to be up so high--you can really see what is going on. We have three stairmills at my gym and there's usually someone on at least one of them, if not all three.

Unfortunately, I injured my knee in October and since then I haven't been able to use it (no stairs until my knee is 100%). But until then, it was a regular part of my cardio workouts.

caitbeans
03-09-2008, 01:31 PM
I love it! I just started using it too, I made it for about 5 minutes after I did my run, I want to add a minute like you said each day to get up to 20 minutes.

MissGiggles
03-09-2008, 01:57 PM
Whats the difference between that and a stairmaster?

I tried the stairmaster today, not the old fashioned ones where you put your feet on the pedals, the one that is like the mini escalator.

I did 5 minutes. It was hard.

Ilene
03-09-2008, 06:43 PM
I think stepmill and stair master are the same but just different company names...

caitbeans
03-09-2008, 07:29 PM
The stepmill is like an esculator, it has like 4-5 steps and you just keep on walking up the steps. The stairmaster I think is one of those things that you just walk step place.

Nori71
03-09-2008, 10:16 PM
StairMaster (Nautilus now?) makes the StepMill. The one at my gym looks like this:
http://www.nautilus.com/media/products/Stairmaster/Detail/SM00140_240x240_v1_m56577569831552112.jpg

For me it is lower impact on my knees than the stair stepper.

Caitbeans & MissGiggles - which program do you do? I've only done manual and "Rolling Hills" so far. I like the Rolling Hills one, but will try others.

Heffalump
03-09-2008, 10:32 PM
Oooh, my gym has one of those too. And most of the time, it just sits there all neglected and lonely... I think I'm gonna pay it a little visit tomorrow!

:hyper:

Nori71
03-09-2008, 10:37 PM
I know, for as good of a workout as I feel I get on it, I'm suprised that it's not in use all the time. My gym only has 1 - to about 25 each of ellipticals and bikes and treadmills!

helenandaudreysmama
03-09-2008, 10:41 PM
:( My gym doesn't have one of those :(

I am so sad!! I really want to try it now...they have them on the biggest loser and I was like cool that thing is so neat!!! Bummer for me...

Ilene
03-10-2008, 01:15 AM
:( My gym doesn't have one of those :(

I am so sad!! I really want to try it now...they have them on the biggest loser and I was like cool that thing is so neat!!! Bummer for me...Go to a Mall and go up the down escalator :rofl: ... OK, I'm going to bed now... :tired:

caitbeans
03-10-2008, 06:32 AM
I've just done manual at level 7, I might have to try a different program today!

MissGiggles
03-10-2008, 07:26 AM
Thats the one I was on. Same thing different brand names. I only did manual cause I was afraid of tripping. LOL

I've seen some people do an hour on them. They must have some awesome legs.

Nori71
03-11-2008, 03:19 PM
I know - an hour on it would wipe me out! My personal trainer said that mountain climers and firemen/women really like them.

Anyways, I did 15 minutes today. I think the only reason I could do more was because I did it at the beginning on my cardio session, instead of after an hour on the elliptical. I'm going to keep doing it first to mix things up for awhile.