Old 03-06-2008, 07:18 PM   #1  
Tess

S/C/G: 291/287/150

Height: 5'5

Default Artichokes.

i hope everybody is having a wonderfull day!!!! . I went to trader joes the other night and bought some bags of artichoke hearts, But the blond that i am had no idea what to do with them. So i wanted to know what you guys do with them!!!
Caligirl9x24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:27 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 190/140/135

Height: 5'7"

Just want to be sure what you bought - is it just the hearts (which are more tender, pale green in color and completely edible) or is it an entire artichoke (which has bristly outer leaves which you kind of use your team to scrape the edible flesh off).

Hearts - I love them and usually put them in pizzas, in pasta, in omelettes. I usually buy the marinated, jarred kind. I just dice then and use. If they are frozen, I defrost in the microwave. If they are fresh, I would lightly steam them.

Whole artichokes - must be steamed (shoudd be tons of directions online). I like to eat them with a dipping sauce (I make a great one with horseradish and silken tofu). I dip the leaves in the sauce and then scrape them between my top and bottom teeth, then discard the leaf. Eventually, you will dig down to a thistley bit - discard. Then, you have the wonderful, yummy heart! it's the best part.

Hope you enjoy them

Last edited by Glory87; 03-06-2008 at 07:28 PM.
Glory87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:51 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

When it's the whole atrichoke I boil them, then use a curry/mayo dip with them and eat them the same way as Glory.
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 07:56 PM   #4  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

I'm having artichokes tonight actually!!
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 10:03 PM   #5  
Tess

yay!! i bought the frozen bagged hearts.. i just need to find a dip... well lets see how it goes
Old 03-06-2008, 11:56 PM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

OK - now you are making me hungry for artichoke hearts. Thanks for the great tips everyone and thanks, Tess, I will be stopping by Trader Joe's tomorrow.

Would they be good with my favorite salad dressing/dippie thing - ff ranch mixed with salsa?
shshshhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 12:03 AM   #7  
Tess

well u know trader joes has this blue cheese dressing that low cal. and low salt! yay!! ITs super good its like the best Blue cheese ive had.. i think tomorrow im going to make a huge salad with artichokes and blue cheese. I love trader joes, its so cheap!! And they take so much of the work out for you haha .. im so lazy.