Alternachicks - Alternachicks Chat - March 2008

View Full Version : Alternachicks Chat - March 2008

petitesilvousplait
03-05-2008, 06:44 PM
Hi, I'm brand new here but I thought I'd be really cheeky and start the March thread, as nobody has yet. I posted an intro onto the main part of the site, but once more for luck- I'm a vegan student living in London in England, just starting my weight loss journey, hoping for success, becasue the past few weeks I've been trying different things and failing miserably, but still optimistic! My weight seems to fluctuate a fair bit- before Christmas I went back onto the birth control Pill and since then have gained at least 15 lbs, unfortunately I was on the Pill before and it increased my appetite like crazy, so hopefully going to cut down on those hefty portion sizes this month!! I feel like I'm just rambling on now! Hope everyone's well and having a good month so far (all five days of it!)

jandaman
03-06-2008, 05:50 AM
hey! i'm a newbie, too and am so glad you had the cheek to start a march thread..i've just been lurking and wondering...props to you grrrl! i'm an expat in germany--so we're kinda in the same timezone. i've restarted SBD because i fell off the wagon big-time. already lost about 2.5 kilos so i am semi-stoked but also cranky (must be a side-effect from carb-withdrawal).
the pill can pack on the poundage, i had to switch birth control pills 3 times before i found just the right hormonal cocktail :) good luck to you and see you around

Zen Pharmacy
03-06-2008, 08:12 AM
Man. Midterms (and finals for a couple modules) are not fun. One more tomorrow at 7:30 am and then it's clear sailing in the Gulf of Mexico (aka spring break).

As such, I have slacked slacked slacked on exercise. I meant to go out and run yesterday, but there was a blood drive. Giving blood always makes me woozy so my lovely partner made dinner while I lounged on the couch with textbooks.

gaia2094
03-06-2008, 01:51 PM
Man, wish I could give blood, but not till after next Feb (only downside to a tattoo). I did 30 minutes on the treadmill yesterday, not without lots of breaks, and didn't go over on calories, so yay!

Zen- My next exam is right after spring break, along with a paper, so I feel for you! There's someone coming by in a few minutes to look at my sister's house, so I'm scrambling to clean for these people. Oh well, what we do for family I guess...

Zen Pharmacy
03-06-2008, 02:04 PM
Oh yeah, only half of my spring break is going to be full of rest. We have a case study exam, paper, and presentation due the week after spring break and then 3 more exams the week after that.

Seriously, with all these exams they give us, I don't know when they expect us to learn anything.

And I hear you on the tattoo thing. I get them so frequently that when I actually have the chance to donate blood, I try to do it as much as possible.

broadabroad
03-07-2008, 03:05 AM
Welcome, new people!

I'm both British and an expat - spooky, eh?

Jandaman, how are you finding the South Beach Diet so far? I'm doing Atkins, but I'm curious about the SBD.

(You other guys are just making me want another tattoo with all your tattoo talk, you know!)

jandaman
03-07-2008, 12:35 PM
sawadeekah, broadabroad! ah, thailand brings back memories! i actually just had a massaman curry and am now dreaming of pineapple pancakes....snap out of it! sigh. phase one of SBD is so tough. two weeks of no sugar, no carbs at all. so you can see that i could never make it on atkins ;) looks like it works pretty well for you!

ditto on the tat talk!

shapeshiftr
03-07-2008, 07:33 PM
Hey! I'll jump in. I used to frequent here around 2003 or 2004 but I forgot my user name so I started a new one. It's fun to see some of the old names and plenty of new ones.

I started on SB (again) on March 1st (nothing like a new month to encourage me). I also tend to be pretty obsessive. It does work. I lost 40 pounds, but managed to regain 20 over the course of a few years.

I like to measure in kilograms so I'm glad plenty of alternachicks are familar with those! :D

Spring is here (in NY)! It's still soggy and grey, but the birds are all back and I woke to a robin singing outside. This all means more time outside which is my favorite place to workout.

mauvaisroux
03-08-2008, 04:13 PM
Hello everyone! :wave:

It's been a busy couple of weeks but I am finally back on the boards. Don"t you just hate it when work intrudes on your social life? :lol:

Nice to see a few new faces . . . welcome petitesilvousplait, jandaman and shapeshiftr! :)

Not much new to report at the moment. I've maintained my weight (mostly due to good eating and lots of snow shoveling) so I still have my 5 lbs lost since Jan 1 and am working on another 5 for my mini goal. I want to knock em dead at a fancy wedding I am going to in the fall so I have the until September to get my self in shape.

oh yeah . . . one great thing that happened is that I managed to get tickets to see the Police and Elvis Costello in May - Yippee!!!! :cb:

Zen -good for you for giving blood! :cp:

gaia2094
03-08-2008, 10:03 PM
I know, I want another tattoo already! But I'm saving it for my ultimate goal for my 21st birthday next year -crosses fingers-

mauvaisroux
03-09-2008, 10:02 AM
Good morning! :coffee:

Well it snowed all night so I will be shovelling again this morning - who needs a gym membership when you can get a free workout all winter? :lol:

We had a blast with our bad movie night last night but I am recovering from a junk food overload this morning . . . need more coffee . . .

Hope you are all having a good weekend. :)

Heidijn
03-09-2008, 10:09 AM
With great trepidation, I stepped on the scale yesterday....ah, no gain. No loss either, but as I've not paid an ounce of attention to diet and/or exercise for weeks, I'm happy with no gain.

I have one more week at my job and then 3 weeks off. The time since I've given my notice has flown by so quickly. I still have much to finish up, but it's hard to think about that when I just skip over it to fantasize about three weeks off!

During those weeks I'll be in San Antonio for 4 days and then Los Angeles for 5 days. There will no longer be the "icy roads" excuse for not running! Plus I'll be with non-smokers, so I'll have to run in order to get away for a smoke! :smoking:

I start my new job April 7. I really don't think there's much point in trying to diet up until then. I'm just trying not to pig out! My staff has had a party for me and the library board arranged a public reception with tons of food and then a dinner party etc. My standard speech is "what is it about my leaving that makes people want to celebrate?"

Enjoy March!

Hoopla
03-09-2008, 01:33 PM
Hi Everyone!

I'm new here, and I've already posted on the Alternachick bios but I haven't introduced my self here!

I'm Tabitha, and I'm 19! That's about it! :P

gaia2094 - Once I lose all of this weight, I want to get a tattoo too. It'll be my first!

mauvaisroux
03-10-2008, 01:01 PM
Welcome Hoopla! :wave:

Heidijn - I find it is hard to work through those last weeks when you know you are moving on. :) Congratulations on the new job! :cheers:

gaia2094
03-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Hoopla- Tattoos are awesome! I'm trying hard not to give in and take out my measly savings for another small one. Love the avatar, <3 magic mushrooms! Err... not the illegal tripping-out kind... wait, would that make Mario a druggie? Hmmm....

betty grrl
03-10-2008, 11:42 PM
Hey all,
I'm new as well! Saw your comments about tats! When I get down to my goal I'm gonna get atleast 3 - Betty Boop angel and devil (One on each shoulder blade. And I wanna get some celtic art as well!

Wanttolosealot
03-12-2008, 07:38 AM
Hey everyone! I have not been swallowed up by some crazed fat loving alien. You see I have two teenagers who seem to live on the computer, but they are sleeping like little angels, so it is moms turn. Anyway I am doing well. Not losing incredible amounts of weight but have lost a few pounds since last time we chatted.
I am getting excited as it will not be long until I am outside working in the garden center at my store. I love this time of year. I am even more excited as I have not been able to fit in my uniform pants for outside in two years, but I tried them on last night and did get them up and buttoned, not zipped yet and will not wear them until I can do deep knee bends without blowing out the arse in them, but i feel it will happen this year. Will try them on weekly until ,ureka, I fit. Still smoke free! was 2 months on the 7th. Feeling great!
Hugs
Virginia

jandaman
03-14-2008, 09:38 AM
hey chicas!

have finished off phase one on SBD and dropped 10lbs. hurray! apropos tat talk: am also going to reward myself with one or two as soon as i reach my goal weight...a sprinkling of stars perhaps?

betty grrl: sounds solid ;) am also a fan of betty! (boop and page)

Hoopla
03-15-2008, 08:27 PM
gaia2094 - OMG! Look up 'Mario: Game Over' on YouTube. It's hilarious!!

This week hasn't been a good diet week... I've been REALLY busy, and that means... not so healthy choices. :(

Wanttolosealot
03-16-2008, 07:51 AM
Hoopla- I just checked out Mario- Game Over and it is very funny! Thanks for the laugh!
Started boxing classes on Wednesday night and loved it. Going to another class on Monday night and looking forwad to it. What a workout but feels great too. Got myself a new digital camera and love it. The Fugi FinePix S700. Great camera but there is a lot to learn with it.
Hugs everyone!
Ginny

betty grrl
03-16-2008, 01:10 PM
Hey Jandaman-How couldn't you resist Both Betty Boop and Bettie Page!!!! I have a signed poster of Bettie Page by her photographer Bunny Yeager!!! I couldn't believe I came across it at a comic store (i asked if he had anything Bettie Page and he said he had this poster in the back-well I snatched it!)

Hoopla-How long do your boxing classes usually run for. I think when I'm a little lighter on my feet I was thinking of trying a class!

Hoopla
03-16-2008, 02:26 PM
Wanttolosealot - I LIVE on YouTube! I have so many favorite videos... Harry Potter in the Hood is pretty funny too.

Has anyone seen 'Spiders on Drugs'? That's funny too! Okay, I'll keep the other million to myself, unless anyone asks. ;)

betty grrl - I think you have me mixed up with Wanttolosealot! I'm not much of a boxing girl. The only boxing I do is Wii Boxing!

I'm making a grocery list for this week. I really could go for a caesar salad... :) Does anyone have a favorite dressing? I'm gonna try the Wish-Bone Spritzers. They sound good. The only other thing is... croutons! I have really sensitive teeth and the only croutons I can eat are Outback croutons... they're so soft. (Probably from all that butter). *drools*

ANYWAY!

Does anyone have a favorite crouton either? Or substitution? I need something crunchy, but not too crunchy! :p

mauvaisroux
03-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Hope you are all having a good weekend! :)

Welcome to the group Bettygirl! I am a fan of Bettie Page too!

Jandaman - congratulations on the 10lb loss! :cp:

Wanttolosealot - great going on your quitting smoking! :bravo:

I had a pretty quiet weekend, caught up on some housework, watched movies and read a book. Nice and relaxing. :)

betty grrl
03-16-2008, 08:00 PM
Sorry Hoopla (I think my mind was in la la land!), but as for salad dreesing I really like the creamy ceasar the best one I have found is the Wal-Mart brand "Great Value" light ceasar dressing. I little goes a long way!

Thanks Mauvaisroux for the welcome! It's nice to be where people have common interests!

Wanttolosealot
03-17-2008, 10:13 AM
Hi betty grrl!
My boxing class goes from 6 to 8pm Monday and Wednesday. He lets me do what I can do considering I am a big girl compared to most, but is by no means easy on me. I sweat and sweat a lot. It is hard work but fun. I could not have done this 2 1/2 months ago before I quit smoking. Feels good to be kind to your body.
Hugs to all
Ginny

gaia2094
03-17-2008, 04:02 PM
Just watched Mario:Game Over. Wow... just, wow...

havoc
03-18-2008, 10:29 AM
Hey Jandaman-How couldn't you resist Both Betty Boop and Bettie Page!!!! I have a signed poster of Bettie Page by her photographer Bunny Yeager!!! I couldn't believe I came across it at a comic store (i asked if he had anything Bettie Page and he said he had this poster in the back-well I snatched it!)

Hoopla-How long do your boxing classes usually run for. I think when I'm a little lighter on my feet I was thinking of trying a class!

OH! I so envy you! I adore Bettie. I was trolling on Bettie sites a few months back and saw a recent picture of her at a book signing or something (maybe it was when "The Notorious Bettie Page" came out?). She so reclusive that I wondered if it was a fake until the picture loaded, and then there was NO question. She's what - in her 80's now - and still striking! She was absolutely beautiful - with red lipstick and all! GO BETTIE!

Enygirl
03-18-2008, 07:23 PM
Ok girls - I dropped off the face of the Earth for awhile - and into cubicle Hel! But I'm back.. I'm not doing so good on the weight loss stuff - and I need some motivation and support. Can I come back home???

Wanttolosealot
03-19-2008, 08:01 AM
Enygirl!!
Welcome home! If this whole weight lose thing were easy none of us would be here. But it is not and thank God for people like you and all here whom continually support each other.
Hugs
Ginny

Hoopla
03-19-2008, 09:59 PM
I've had such a long week... it's only wednesday... *screams*.

Enygirl
03-19-2008, 10:14 PM
I feel you.. It's DRAGGING!!! I'm glad I get to work from home on Friday - so tomorrow is going to suck!

I had a great day today. Stayed on plan - exercised - drank water...I'm feeling good. I'm going to go crochet for a bit and wait for BF to come home from work.

Thanks for letting me come home. :)

gaia2094
03-19-2008, 10:42 PM
I hear that! 3rd day in a row doing exercise! Haven't met my 60 minute goal yet, but I'm getting there. Bellydancing video is killing me! But my new philosophy is suffer for an hour each day, or die of an early heart attack. I have quite a few things I'd like to do that require me living, so I'm doing the work to reap the rewards. Pretty much the 3FC mantra, no?

This week is not going by fast enough! I'm moving out on Friday, and going nuts being shut up in this house all day!

motomom2
03-19-2008, 11:43 PM
I love the 30's group, but am happy to have found this one as well. You all sound so amazing.

Regarding the tatoos, I am going to get one soon, and it may be this weekend. It would be my first. All it is going to take is my first day "unsupervised". My son races motocross and I want something that symbolizes that. But I am so undecided.

gaia2094
03-20-2008, 09:19 AM
motomom2- Awesome! I just got my first one last month! It's an awesome experience, even if the healing time can be a drag. Look up tattoos, see if you find something in motocross that looks cool. Or, have the artist create something custom (that's what I did). Its worth it, and no one else has that exact tattoo. Good luck!

motomom2
03-20-2008, 09:10 PM
Thanks. I posted on a site for suggestions, and only got a message from someone offering to design for me...for a fee! I may not jump the gun, as I want to be sure, but I have waited so long, and am feeling the impulse to make a decision!!

Anyway, today was great. I went for a long walk and it feels great. Good Friday to you all!

gaia2094
03-20-2008, 09:36 PM
I've only had one tattoo, but my artist didn't charge me any fee. I am in no way an authority on tattoos, but I wouldn't go for the online guy with the fee. Talking face to face worked for me, and he explained stuff I didn't understand and worked with me. But I would totally ask someone who has more than one tattoo, lol. I might've just been lucky my first time.

Enygirl
03-21-2008, 09:03 AM
Generally tattoo artists do not charge a fee if they know for sure that you're going to go with them to get it done. (Gaia - I have 3. LOL :D) There are a lot of places online that will design for you for a fee - but that's because that is how they are making their additional income Obviously if I got a design done by someone in Texas - I'm not flying there for a tattoo.

Another thing that you want to look for is someone who has an established portfolio - not just pictures of things that s/he "can do" but ones that s/he's actually done!

There's my 2 cents for what it's worth moto - GOOD LUCK!

Actually my Wings tattoo is my Ultimate Present for myself when I hit goal! :)

motomom2
03-21-2008, 08:57 PM
Thanks gaia and Eny. I knew that the guy was looking for cash. And yeah, if I was looking for something big, it may be a prudent way to go. I am just thinking about something small. And I am familiar with a very reputable shop here.

I love piercings, and had several, but this da*n suburban life acted like a drawing salve for them! My son was teased because his mom had "a buncha' earrings, and "something" in her nose and tongue.

So, my tat will be simple. I really want it to be just (or a tad more than) his racing number. Yeah, his number may change one day. But the number he has now, and has had since 2004, is symbolic of me and his dad getting our stuff together, as it is also symbolic of my son's racing excellence. We have become so much greater since our son began racing. We were rather a mess before 2004.

Can't attribute it all to racing, it is just the whole package, if you know what I mean. His dad used to race, and I ride, and we were a moto family long before we were a wholesome family. The Lord smiled upon us when he smacked us in the butt and helped us become both.

So, I want a cool way to display the number, on my ankle. If anyone has any cool thoughts, I would love to hear them! I am not sure what tomorrow has in store for us, but if I am alone for part of the day, I am going to go to the shop and talk to them about it. I don't want the family to know. Until it is done.

Enygirl
03-22-2008, 04:01 PM
Moto - I think that is Completely AWESOME! When I got my DD's name W/ a Child fairy on my back right before her 4th b-day - it was to represent her and I making it on our own... that she is my conscience and that every thing I do is for her now, and for her future.

What is the number? I sideline as a graphic artist - and would be more then happy to design some stuff for you if you'd like (free of course :D) When are you thinking of getting it?

OK - As for diet crap - I'm doing really good today - and did really good yesterday too! I think I'm back in my groove - and I pray I'll be out off this plateau by Earth Day! - I really want to be in the #170's by then!!!

pinupgirl
03-24-2008, 12:10 AM
For some reason I've had a hard time contributing to the forums, but this particular forum feels right at home! Hello!!

I keep thinking about getting another tattoo (I have a pair of faery wings on my back) and I too am using it as a "goal" of sorts... I want to feel better about showing it off after I am closer to my goal!

I'm REALLY struggling with frustration over a plateau that I've hit with my weight loss, and I feel like it's too SOON to be hitting a plateau! I know for a fact I need to work on not going out to eat as often... but I'm proud of my workout habits recently... I can't find a happy medium where I'm good with eating and exercising. :mad:

Anyway, hope to come out of my shell and contribute more... you gals are great!

broadabroad
03-24-2008, 05:26 AM
pinupgirl - loving the avatar, and your tat sounds awesome too!

Does anyone have a favorite crouton either? Or substitution? I need something crunchy, but not too crunchy!

I tend to use sunflower seeds as a happy alternative to croutons in a salad - or even crunchy dry anchovies (but I suspect that's more of a Thailand thing, right?).

pinupgirl
03-24-2008, 01:53 PM
Thanks Broadabroad!

Hmm... I think the dried anchovies are maybe an acquired taste? :):)

Sometimes at the grocery store I see these crunchy won-ton strips that have different flavors to them... they are in bags near the fancy salad dressings and bags of lettuce. They are pretty good (imho, nothing beats delicious croutons but you can come close!)

So I did a lot of thinking last night about what to do to be PROACTIVE about my plateau... I've read a lot about just switching something up in your diet/exercise regime so over the next couple of weeks I decided to up my water intake (something I definitely needed to do) and try to eat six smaller meals during the day instead of my usual eating little bits and pieces then eating a big meal at night.

Hopefully this can push me out of this rut!!

motomom2
03-24-2008, 07:49 PM
Good luck pin. Be sure to share with us how the water plan and more smaller meals works in dealing with the plateau. I am too new to have plateau issues, but a big part of my new lifestyle is thinking about how to handle plateaus...gosh, I love this site, otherwise, I would not have considered much of what I learn here!

Also, Pin, I have to tell you that the first (and only) girl I met with wings on her back was a bar owner here in my town. She showed me and I thought to myself that I had never seen a more beautiful tatoo. That is so cool that you have that!

Eny, his number is #155, but I am going to PM you as well, to make sure that you read my thanks of such a generous offering to give me tips on how to design it. You certainly did not have to offer something so generous.

Good luck to everyone in meeting goals. You all rock!!!!!!!

guynna
03-24-2008, 08:07 PM
hi all --
More water would probably be good for all of us.

I just came from working out (and drinking a bottle of water) and weighing myself. After about two weeks of carefully eating low-fat, walking the dog lots, etc etc.... I had gained a pound! When I got to the car I called my girlfriend from college and we just laughed about it. I really do FEEL good, so I'm sure it was time of day/water weight/time of month/ or something. (I'm sorta menopausal, but still "alterna.") Anyway, I wanted to share my Plus One Pound story with you guys too and let you know that I'm not discouraged -- I'm still committed (and should be, my friends say!).

Good luck with YOUR goals, and hope the scales go DOWN soon!
anita

pinupgirl
03-24-2008, 08:18 PM
I LOVE that you said you laughed at your gain, guynna. It's hard when you've been working so hard and you have a "set back" (which of course, isn't a set back it's just a circumstantial happenstance). But really, you have to have a sense of humor about it or you'll go crazy!!

I love my tattoo but sometimes people say, "what goes in the middle?" because there's just two wings... they don't understand that they are MY wings!!

guynna
03-24-2008, 08:37 PM
We go to music festivals every summer, and I've seen some wing tattoos there; maybe a tattoo will be my reward for reaching goal! I do get at least one henna one every summer, and I love those. What color are your wings??
anita

Enygirl
03-25-2008, 01:56 PM
You guys all rock! Thanks you for staying here! A few months back it ended up being just me for like a week :(

Anyhow - moto - I had an inspiration on your idea - I'm PMing you back right now. BTW - I LOVE IT!!!

motomom2
03-25-2008, 08:05 PM
Guynna, great attitude!! I am too new to have experienced a gain while eating better and exercising, but it helps volumes to hear tales of it being dealt with by others like yourself in a positive way! All of you wonderful people inspire me in that I feel I am really setting myself up for everything in this journey, including the lows.

Tonight we had terrible wind, and my walk/jog was a real work out. I felt so proud!

One rant I have this week is that the family (son especially) is in mourning over mom no longer eating in front of the television. I despise this. He is a great kid who loves his mom, and he feels like I am punishing myself when I am at the table eating alone. Ultimately, when I am farther along in my journey, I am going to break my son in this habit. I am ashamed that I have passed down this trait to him.

Growing up, I never had issues with weight. But my parents have always had a television in the kitchen, so I grew up eating in front of the tv. When I began to gain weight, eating in front of the tv was huge for me.

It is so embarrassing to admit that eating something yummy was a waste if I did not have a good show to share it with. How backwards is that?

Our household is really off target when it comes to eating together. We don't eat together all that often. So, it will be interesting to see what happens when we are all eating dinner at the same time. I am on day #7 and so far, it was only Sunday that I sat at the table upon finishing breakfast cooking. My son did join me. I think he is going to be great about it. (though he approaches it as though he is visiting me in prison!) Jer? Not sure if he will come around right away, but I think he will when he realizes that he is not privy to our conversations, and feels he is missing out.

mauvaisroux
03-25-2008, 09:16 PM
Hello everyone!

Hope you all had a good long weekend! :)

Have any of you watched the new TLC show "I can make you thing" with Paul McKenna? The first episode talked about conscious eating and that you were to sit down to eat without t.v., music or reading material to distract you. You are supposed to focus only on your food and chew slowly - this apparently is supposed to make you taste your food and be more aware of the signals your body is giving you - i.e. when you are full.

I guess I knew this but also have fallen victim to eating in front of the t.v. :rolleyes:

My resolution for this week is to set the table in the kitchen and try to get hubby on board to eat dinner there and forego the tv.

guynna
03-25-2008, 10:10 PM
yeah, the tv thing is a killer. I agree that eating is definitely better if you eat "mindfully" and really enjoy the food. Paying attention to taste and to the way your feel when you eat is a big thing in Dr. Ornish's advice (I'm doing his low-fat way of eating), and it's also part of Buddhism. I think of myself as kinda quasi-buddhist -- got my hubby a great laughing Buddha statue for the front yard a couple of Christmases ago!! I am lucky to have a husband who likes to cook, and we don't have kids, so it's pretty easy to eat at the table.

Moto, maybe you will start your son on a whole new way of eating, that actually includes conversation! : ) Good luck!
anita

motomom2
03-26-2008, 12:26 PM
Thanks Anita! I hope that we can be better regarding that as a family!

Mauv, good luck with your goal to not eat in front of the boob tube. I am going to look for that TLC show. It sounds like it could be helpful. Do they focus on different weight loss topics each time?

So far, I am doing great with the eating in front of the TV issue. I have eaten so much less in the 8 days I have been committed to this! Yeah, I would like to know when I will be down more than a pound, but I have to get in tune with my body to understand best times to weigh and such. All I know is that no matter what the scale says, I am so much better off than I was 8 days ago!

God reminded me of His sense of humor this week...Monday, I developed this huge pimple smack dab in the center of my cheek. It has been years since I have had one so blatant and unsighly. So, I guess even though I am feeling great about myself, there will be bumps (and pimples) along the way!

Enygirl
03-26-2008, 01:29 PM
moto - I'm totally on line with the unsightly blemishes! I have a nice one right next to my mouth - and yesterday i got a Beautiful mountain of one RIGHT BETWEEN MY EYES!!! yea - I get them generally when stressed of close to TOM's visit - but right now isn't either!

Oh well - such is life right?

I snuck onto the scale this morning. I was happy to see a #1.4 drop! It's been about 1 1/2 weeks since I started the IE way instead of counting calories. It's nice to know that I'm still On Plan.

So far so good for day 3 as well... Sticking to it to get over the mid-week hump!

guynna
03-26-2008, 05:28 PM
You go, Enygirl!! Wow, I guess one good thing about middle age is that I don't have to worry about the pimple thing much any more. . . . . Of course there's the grey hair thing and the wrinkle thing. . . . : O : )
Hope everyone is having a good day --- I am trying to get out of the office and scoot to Curves for a workout!
anita

guynna
03-26-2008, 08:23 PM
Hi again! I just came from working out (my second visit to the gym this week, I'm so proud! and it feels so good!). That extra pound is still with me, but my chiropractor this morning told me he thinks I've lost weight (or at least rearranged some of it : )

Hope you guys are having a good day too!
anita

jandaman
03-27-2008, 06:54 AM
morning chicas!

motomom: props to you for making meals the main event and not a side show, i agree with the other ladies that it really does make a difference to focus on enjoying food and each others company. it is difficult to break the habit and establish a new one, tho. but sooo worth it. ;)

as to blemishes : have a nasty monstrous zit on my neck and TOM is here. bleargh.

bloatedness and ickyness prevail . i cannot seem to shlep myself to the gym today..oh, well! enough of the negativity! hope all y'all have a great thursday ;)

broadabroad
03-27-2008, 07:43 AM
Hmm... I think the dried anchovies are maybe an acquired taste?

Hee! See, in Thailand an awful lot of the crunchy snackfood type things are protein-based - crunchy pork, crunchy cuttlefish, flossy pork, crunchy fish snacks, broad beans - all kinds of things! (even fried crickets - which, even though I know that this is only like prawns, really, I just can't bring myself to try.) It's been a bit of an adjustment, but actually it's pretty damned handy since I'm doing Atkins, and the wee crunchy fish are a great alternative to croutons on a caesar salad (since caesar sauce is supposed to contain anchovies anyway...)

Let me chime in on the blemish and tattoo discussion - I have a whopping great mosquito bite on my tattoo at the moment! Located underneath my bra strap, damn it! But no way am I going to risk scratching the bugger!

pinupgirl
03-27-2008, 05:27 PM
Been away from the computer a few days...

Guynna~ The wings are a lot of different colors... I got the outline done first and then went in again with a book by Brian Froud (who is an artist... he does a lot of fantasy/faery type things) and showed the tattoo artist a pic of some faery wings... and he just went to town!!

mauvaisroux~ I watched the "I can make you thin" show... I watched the one where he talks about the pressure points. What did you think? It was a little weird how it almost came off as an infomercial... I thought even if the pressure points don't work, I think it's kind of psychosomatic- where if you THINK it's working, then it is...?

kudos to those not eating in front of the TV... that's TOUGH!! I get to the point where if I'm not doing anything but eating I almost feel uncomfortable and bored... but give me a bag of chips and a cheesy reality show, and before you know it I'm grasping for those last few greasy pieces at the bottom of the bag!

motomom2
03-27-2008, 07:36 PM
Hope all is well for everyone this evening. Things here are great. I did my walking last night with a small hand weight. That was great, but a tad embarrassing. It is such a good additive to my walking, but I will only end up doing the weight a few times per week.

I got a great incentive to keep going on my plan last night, as a friend got married in Mexico (big surprise) and is having a reception at the end of May. He hangs with a lot of 20 something hotties, so I am glad that I am on track to attend and possibly not feel inferrior.

Guynna, congrats on the positivity from your chiropractor. Every word of encouragement goes a long way.

Hope everyone had a great day!

guynna
03-27-2008, 08:27 PM
hi all --
moto: that's cool that you have the wedding celebration to look forward to; weddings are a great excuse for a party! (and I bet you could justify buying and outfit too : )

folks with tattoo: really... how much does it hurt??? I don't want to sound like a weenie here, but....

Hope everyone is having a great day. I had a big day at work (did a guest lecture, chaired a meeting), went out w/hubby for dinner and ate a really fab, healthy meal. He ordered a gooey chocolate dessert and I had TWO bites and really didn't want more. I even got a to-go box for half of my entree & veggies and felt really satisfied and yummy.

I feel so good! : ) And I'm so glad I stumbled on to this site so that I can share the good and bad days with you -- thanks a LOT.
anita

Enygirl
03-27-2008, 08:48 PM
guynna - do you have children? Tattoos hurt less then child birth.. and the adrenaline rush is better then an epidural. ;)

guynna
03-27-2008, 08:54 PM
HA! No, I have dogs & cats but don't do primates. I have had a few rushes too, but never an epidural : )

pinupgirl
03-27-2008, 11:31 PM
Tattoo pain: Honestly? For me it felt like someone taking an exacto knife to my back. My other friends swear it doesn't really hurt. I will say this: after about 20 minutes of it, I kind of just zoned out- not that it didn't still hurt, but it wasn't too bad. The bottom line is, if you really want one, you'll do it and gloat about how much of a trooper you are getting through the pain!

Wanttolosealot
03-28-2008, 07:44 AM
Going for a walk to get some exercise in this morning. Snowing, but if I keep using the weather as anexcuse I will never leave. I live in the Maritimes where the weather is very unpredictable so I need to get a move on. Hugs to everyone. To those keeping track, still smoke free and loving it.Two months, two weeks, six days, 19 hours, 54 minutes and 20 seconds. 808 cigarettes not smoked, saving $323.32. Life saved: 2 days, 19 hours, 20 minutes.

guynna
03-28-2008, 08:24 AM
Dear wantto -- (love your name) -- BIG congrats on giving up smoking!! My older sister smokes, and since our parents and our brother died a few years ago she has become even more precious to me. I so wish that she would quit, but I hear it's reeeeaaally hard. You go!! Props for braving the weather too : )
anita

jandaman
03-28-2008, 10:45 AM
... serious pain

hi chicas

woke up this morning doubled over with the same--turns out i've got a v nasty UTI and will be on antiobiotics for the next 2 weeks.:mad:
suppose that might wreak havoc w/my diet becuase i feel way too :faint:and loopy to prepare and cook. ugh

tgif to the rest of u, enjoy ur weekends!

guynna
03-28-2008, 10:49 AM
Yuck! I'm sending good thoughts your way, Jandaman. Hope you feel better soon. Liquids and rest, liquids and rest....

Enygirl
03-28-2008, 08:31 PM
Jada - :hug" get better hon!!!!

broadabroad
03-29-2008, 10:27 AM
Jandaman - feel better!

folks with tattoo: really... how much does it hurt??? I don't want to sound like a weenie here, but....

Well, it does hurt. But if you're REALLY bad with pain, you can get skin-numbing cream stuff to help you. I'm a bit of a wuss myself, and since my tattoo was my first tattoo the artist recommended I buy some of the stuff, and she slathered it onto my back to numb it. Worked a treat.

For the first hour.

The other five hours, though? Not so much with the numbness. (It was a six hour sitting with a 5 minute break in the middle.) But you know, it was fine. Sure, it's not madly comfortable, but pain is always much less painful/scary when you know what it is and why it is, you know? And as soon as the needle moves on, the place that was uncomfortable feels fine - like getting your ears pierced.

But I think it's a YMMV thing too - before I got mine done I was always asking people how much their tattoos had hurt, trying to gauge it, and answers ranged from 'not at all' to 'worse than childbirth'. !!!

But the discomfort is short-lived, and then you have a lovely tattoo!

Enygirl
03-29-2008, 12:12 PM
I'm havign a BLAH day.. I didn't sleep well - so I'm going to try to catch a nap here in a little bit. I'm waiting for Jor (BF) to get up so that DD and I can take one together - otherwise she won't let me sleep.

I'm feeling bad about $ right now - it's stressing me out. I'm BROKE - I mean I get paid on Monday, but I haven't been like this in over a year! I know the reason - I just bought a new car, and all the little expenses to go with it cleaned me out :( Sorry - just frustrated...

Diet wise - everything's good... I actually made it on plan 5 days - and I'm working on today being the 6th.

I need a nap - I'm grumpy! :(

gaia2094
03-29-2008, 03:38 PM
enygirl- I hear everything you're saying! I've managed to come down with bronchitis, and made my usual remedy last night which is a fatty vegetable and dumpling soup. Mistake. I had 3 big bowls and went to bed bloated. Today I'm so congested and coughing that I've barely eaten anything, so I'm going to try again and make another pot of much healthier stuff with loads more garlic and cayenne (I'm trying not to reach for over-the-counter meds to combat this, see if folk remedied work at all). Don't worry all, I get bronchitis like a dog gets fleas. Its over in a few days, and I'm exercising unless I start having breathing issues.

Is anyone else experiencing lottery fever? I've been picking up scratch-offs and lottery tickets for like 2 weeks for the first time since I became legal, and its fun! I have 4 draws by fluke, I asked the girl for one $3 ticket, and somehow got 3 $1 tickets. I got the one I wanted and just kept the others, couldn't hurt. But I've been feeling like something big is going to happen to me, big in a good way, so I started playing the lottery, lol.

broadabroad- I didn't use numbing cream, but after the first half hour or so I zoned out, too. Mainly, I was counting how many little drawn on hairs the giant cardboard scorpion had on its claw (I'm getting a cutesy butterfly done, and I lay down and look up and scream- big blue cardboard scorpion. WHY?!). The needle didn't hurt as much as having him stop periodically and wipe it off- felt like he rubbed all my nerves. I can't say anything about comparison to childbirth, but it wasn't the worse pain I'd ever felt.

Hoopla
03-30-2008, 10:21 AM
I've had the BUSIEST week. Dear lord! :stress:

Its been a HORRIFIC diet week, and the one day I tried to cook healthy, I put salmon in the oven to bake for like 10 minutes and went to sit on the sofa and catch a break. Then I woke up to a nice smell of FLAMING salmon.

Aren't I the :chef:?

I had to use a fire extinguisher again, and I was hoping I wouldn't have any accidents this year! But I guess I was to blame. I should've picked up Subway or something, but it was like 11, so they were closed. This week won't be busy at all. I have it off! :woohoo:

I tried to catch up with the posts, so please bare with me!!

I tend to use sunflower seeds as a happy alternative to croutons in a salad - or even crunchy dry anchovies (but I suspect that's more of a Thailand thing, right?).

I LOVE sunflower seed kernals. IDK why I didn't think of that! :)

Sometimes at the grocery store I see these crunchy won-ton strips that have different flavors to them... they are in bags near the fancy salad dressings and bags of lettuce. They are pretty good (imho, nothing beats delicious croutons but you can come close!)

I know exactly what your talking about. Those are YUMMMMMMMMY.

I'm totally on line with the unsightly blemishes! I have a nice one right next to my mouth - and yesterday i got a Beautiful mountain of one RIGHT BETWEEN MY EYES!!! yea - I get them generally when stressed of close to TOM's visit - but right now isn't either!

I know what you mean! However, being a teenager, I still get them anytime, it doesn't matter if it's close to TOM.

still smoke free and loving it.Two months, two weeks, six days, 19 hours, 54 minutes and 20 seconds. 808 cigarettes not smoked, saving $323.32. Life saved: 2 days, 19 hours, 20 minutes.

WOW! :cheers:

woke up this morning doubled over with the same--turns out i've got a v nasty UTI and will be on antiobiotics for the next 2 weeks

:hug: Get better!!

Is anyone else experiencing lottery fever? I've been picking up scratch-offs and lottery tickets for like 2 weeks for the first time since I became legal, and its fun! I have 4 draws by fluke, I asked the girl for one $3 ticket, and somehow got 3 $1 tickets. I got the one I wanted and just kept the others, couldn't hurt. But I've been feeling like something big is going to happen to me, big in a good way, so I started playing the lottery, lol.

I :love: scratchers. I almost had an... erm... addiction. I was spending like $100 a day! :o

jandaman
03-31-2008, 06:26 AM
howdy chicas!

just a quickie, thanx for the well-wishes..pain has gone but the meds have left me durrrrr and super-loopy. hafta figure out how to teach in this mental state:) lotsa quiet/group work.

hope ur week starts out great! skim mocha lattes for everyone!

BelleinAsia
03-31-2008, 07:43 AM
Hi All,

This is my intro to the Alternachicks and didn't want to start a new thread...

I am an expat living in Asia (Tokyo for 3 years and now Beijing - been here for 8 months). I am hoping to find some like-minded people on this forum to chat with occasionally...want to lose around 15 lbs.; but more importantly, want to make the gym a regular thing rather than a sporadic thing! I think I need someone to hash out neurotic issues with...I seem to have a disconnect between knowing what I should do and what I actually do.

Biggest obstacles I am facing here are food safety issues and air pollution! In Tokyo, I walked to do my errands, but here I would choke on smog - so I have to rely on the gym for ALL of my activity.

Looking forward to getting to know you all! :wave:

guynna
03-31-2008, 11:04 AM
hi belleinasia, and welcome --
Boy, that disconnect b/t "should do" and "actually do" is true around the world!

okay, i had to come in for an early mtg and so didn't go to the gym (or even walk my dog) this morning, so i WILL go this evening -- so if i go, you go, okay?

Now that I've "said it" to someone I feel more committed!
take care of you and have a great day,
anita

motomom2
03-31-2008, 11:17 AM
Wantto, You deserve the biggest hug in the world for your commitment to quit smoking. That is so very hard, and you are kicking a*s at quitting smoking. I bet it feels so good to not smell like smoke and think about it all the time.

I hope you have a lot of supportive people around you telling you how great your life change is.

Bell, welcome. You will find so many supportive people on this site! Sorry to hear that the smog is making working out more difficult for you to incorporate into your routine.

Hope everyone has a great week!

broadabroad
03-31-2008, 07:07 PM
Hi, Belle!

Oooh, Tokyo - colour me envious! I'm thinking that will likely be my next stop, after Bangkok - I'm signed on for another year here in The Big Mango, but Japan is calling to me. I have a strong suspicion that it will be JUST my cup of tea! My wee sister lived in Beijing for a year - I know she enjoyed herself there a lot too, but I'd think it's quite the culture shock after Tokyo, no?

Anyway, as to the gym - what kind of exercise are you thinking of? General workouts, or a particular program? I've started following the C25k program, which involves 3 sessions a week of walking/jogging - because it's an actual PROGRAM, rather than me nagging myself that I ought to go to the gym to meet my own targets, I'm finding that a bit more motivating so far. But YMMV.

(I've also decided to look into Bellydancing classes - have been vaguely thinking about that for months, but last night I hit Google, found a place, found a course starting on Saturday and I'm going! Think I may even have successfully lured a friend into accompanying me! I suspect I'm going to be all nostalgic for Cairo pretty damn soon!)

motomom2
03-31-2008, 08:46 PM
Wow, are you so worldly. You make this Midwestern gal feel very plain! I hope the belly dancing goes very well for you. It sounds like fun, but I don't think there are any such classes in my area. I am considering a membership to the Y, but family memberships are so high around here.

BelleinAsia
03-31-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi and thanks to everyone for the welcome.

I am not familiar with C25k, will do a web search and see what I come up with...I usually (operative word) treadmill (walk on steep incline or jog) 4x a week. Although, I go through periods of skipping a couple of weeks and feeling fat, unmotivated, etc. and then drag myself back. I usually watch my iPOD - download movies and TV shows from i Tunes, so helps the time go by faster.

Was on holiday in Cambodia 10 days ago and took gym gear as I was DEFINITELY going to go, but didn't even unpack the gear in the end. And I haven't been since we got home, either! :headache:

The gym is in my complex and it is fantastic - our gym in Tokyo was pitiful and I blamed the facilities for my lack of motivation to go...now I have no excuse, but walking across the courtyard seems like a marathon some days.

I have my gym clothes on today though and have charged the iPOD, so am a few steps closer to getting there!

Thanks for the support!

broadabroad
04-03-2008, 02:31 AM
Sorry, motomom - I hope I didn't come across as sounding like a jerk? I got a bit excited at happening across another expat-in-Asia, type of thing - so much of the conversations I have here/the products listed on Fitday/my online weightloss journey is embedded in American culture - and I'm neither American nor living in the West.

fwiw, the stuff that YOU take for granted is equally exotic to me. I mean, Jings, I have American friends who talk about cowboys like they're just a normal thing, whereas from my pov you might as well be talking about spacemen! And ditto, oh, cheerleaders and American football proms and iHoP and all that stuff - it's all foreign and infused with this strange glamour of through-the-looking-glass-ness, because it's all familiar through TV and movies, but it's no closer to my own reality than the deck of the Starship Enterprise is. So next time you visit Target or Walmart or see someone eating a breakfast burrito, think how it would look from my PoV!

;)

Belle - C25K is a running program that takes you from absolute beginner to being able to jog 5k straight. Theoretically it's 9 weeks, iirc, but being phenomenally unfit and horrifyingly overweight, I'm taking it VERY easy, and not trying to race through it - but I'm doing it 3 times a week.

If you pop over to the Exercise forum, you'll find more info there on the C25k thread. (Although if you've googled it, you likely know the whole thing already!) You can also download free C25k podcasts, if you like, rather than listening to your own music mix - the fella who put them together tells you when you need to shift to jogging, when you need to move back to a walk. I think that's probably more useful for those people who are jogging outdoors than for those using treadmills, though - perhaps in the summer I'll do that (if I do indeed go for a run in the early morning/evening, when it's cooled down enough to be viable). Right now, though, I'm happy with my wee iPod shuffle.

I've got my gym targets pinned up on my front door, and I cross it off each time I've been.

I also find (and this is just me), that if I sit down when I get home, or lie down, then it's very hard to motivate myself to turn around and go to the gym. I pretty much need to come in, get changed, and leave straight away.

jandaman
04-03-2008, 03:46 PM
hey chicas!

when last we had met i was suffering horribly--now the antibiotics have finally seemed to have kicked in and i can check in on ya'll;) what i'd like to know is why are we women subject to such debilitating stuff like monthly periods, UTI's, rupturing cysts etc. etc? unfair! *grump* men and their open plumbing seem to have it sooo easy!! okay, got a bit carried away there.

anyways: hope all you guapas have a great night.

belleinasia: always nice to meet fellow expats! even tho tokyo is so worlds more glam than mundane lil germany. good luck on ur weight loss journey

Enygirl
04-03-2008, 04:43 PM
janda - good to see you're doing better.

things here are good. I'm a little jealous of belle & broad myself. Not that I want to live afar - but a nice 3 month vacation would be awesome! :D

I'm bored with water though. I get in PLENTY but it just isn't exciting to me.. and I've cut out pop - so I'm getting even more blah-ness into me. Know any secrets to spice up the water? I'm not a huge lemon water fan - limes are good - but hard to come by right now in Michigan... at least at a decent price.

On a better note the Farmer's Market is opening full swing soon! I'm Definitely going to buy more fruits and veggies there!

All right - I'm off for my crazy hectic night. I'll check back later! :hugh: & :dust: for everyone!

Enygirl
04-09-2008, 02:56 PM
WHERE IS EVERYONE!!!! :( It's BEEN DAYS!!!!

broadabroad
04-10-2008, 01:02 AM
Eaten by monsters, maybe?

As to the water thing - I love soda water, so I'm not getting the blah thing. But maybe you could try adding sugar free syrups? I don't use them myself, but I know people speak highly of them. Or you could buy some essences? I have several wee bottles of them, from the bake section of the grocery - raspberry essence, almond essence, orange essence and cinnamon essence, and I use them to sex up my coffee or add a kick to a low carb smoothie or a low carb pancake. Might be nice to give your water a flavour boost without using lots of calories or carbs...?

(Incidentally - LOVING your avatar!)

Enygirl
04-12-2008, 09:18 AM
Thanks for the water tip... I may try it. I've found a few things that I like to put in it. Honestly - if I drink tap water over distilled water I like it a TON more! I think it's the added flavor ;) (even though the chemicals are AWFUL for me!)

I am however agreeing that people were eaten by monsters! Maybe they're all like me and don't sign in to post unless they're doing good. Kinda counter active since we're here to support through the tough times - and cheer on the successes... so if any of you are lurking out there - COME HOME!!!!!

Things on my end are going good - still staying away from the scale.. I'm walking about a mile a day.. making better choices - not over eating. All in all I believe that I'm making a difference! I'm not focused on the scale number, but the tag.. and right now I'm getting into a lot more 14s then I was last month! My June 21st (First day of Summer) goal is going to be to get into 12s. :sunny:

Ok - here's the motivational quote for today:
"Even if you are on the right track, you'll get run over if you just sit there."

Have a great day girls! :grouphug: & :dust:

guynna
04-12-2008, 09:31 AM
Ha! I haven't been eaten by monsters, but slightly getting my butt kicked by the various demands of Life. (Have been posting hello's and in the April thread, though.)

Hope Janda and Eny are all WELL and over the blaahness of a couple weeks ago.

My husband got me bottles of almond and raspberry extract (I think that's what it's called, he got them at a cooking store) to use in coffee, b/c I like flavored and he doesn't. I bet they'd be good in water too.

On Wed I had lost 5 pounds : ) but I suspect some of it is back, since we went out for a celebratory dinner and then I went crazy the next day and had two candy bars. Ah well --- I'm about to get dressed and start my day w/ walking my dawg -- hope you guys are having a good weekend.
anita

PinkyPie
04-12-2008, 07:53 PM
I thought we had an April thread, no?