Exercise! Love it or hate it, let's motivate each other to just DO IT!

Old 03-05-2008, 04:46 PM   #1  
I'm Just a Little Crazy

S/C/G: 250/215/170

Height: 5'9"

Default Kundalini Yoga - Oops...

I signed up for an eight-session Yoga class... But I did not read the description of the class, and my first class this past Monday was NOT what I expected. I have taken classes before and found the stretching to be so theraputic. I thought it would be good with all the running I ahve been doing lately. But my new class - there are no sun salutations, no doggie positions, no tree poses... Instead... there is a lot of deep breathing... and some mantra chanting. I have never chanted a mantra before. It is a new experience. I am not saying anything against it - just that it was not what I expected. This type of Yoga seems more like meditation and less like stretching.
But rather than quit and kiss my $80 good-bye, I am going to go anyways. I figure - it will prolly be good for me. And to make the best of it - I decided while doing one of the deep breathing exercises, that I would use that time to visualize that I am 198 lbs. I think visualizing will help me to get past the scarey 200 lb mark.

Has anyone else done this type of Yoga? Do you like it?

Last edited by SCraver; 03-05-2008 at 04:47 PM.
SCraver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 05:07 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 217/tick/160

Height: 5'5

I have never been into yoga, I have no balance because my equilibrium has been off for as long as I can remember. I can't even ride a bike, I tried for years and years but couldn't balance, so we asked the doctor... anyway, who knows? Maybe chanting and visualizing will do wonders for you. You never can tell!
peachcake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:13 PM   #3  

I've done it, actually it is the only yoga I have ever done (not that it means anything) I have several of Ravi Singh and Ana DVD's that I love, BUT I want to get into a more streching type of Yoga--what type of Yoga do you do?
caitbeans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:47 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Oh, girls, I just got Rodney Yee's Yoga Burn DVD.., It's amazing...And his voice is sooo soothing... It's advanced enough but after a few times you'd get the hang of it and his instructions are very specific and right on...

I also got this DVD ...
I haven't done it yet, but I met her in Montreal a few weeks ago and she was amazing... It is in French though...She also has a power yoga DVD it's on back order though...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 06:49 PM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

SCraver -- I've never done the type of Yoga you mention but I have meditated and chanted and it's the most soothing thing and oh so relaxing... I had a difficult time getting over the "weirdness" of the chanting, but once I got over that it was great... I'm sure you won't be sorry you spent that money...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 01:47 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 213/127/154

Height: 5 feet 6 inches

I have done kundalini yoga for 3 years. I also do what I call "exercise" yoga at the fitness center. So I can compare them.

I first went in order to do some exercise that would strengthen a recently healed and very weak broken elbow. (It worked well for that). But I stayed with it for other reasons.

I really like kundalini not so much for the calorie burn or fitness, but for the mental exercise and the meditative aspect of it. The repetitive movements really did something for me as far as helping me calm down and focus, something I REALLY needed at the time. Now I have a couple of books and do it at home. The techniques have helped me in all sorts of situations where I needed focus, and I've grown to have a daily habit of doing a short session. It was easy to keep using the skills on my own after the class had ended.

The routines have a stated purpose, helping some part of the body, mind, etc. - I don't know if it's true or not, but I like the idea of it, so I go with it.
Once again helps me focus on some aspect of the day, my life, etc.

At the fitness center, yoga is a calming form of exercise, but it's basically stretching, and strength building. A good thing, but only one part of yoga. I use some of the breathing, etc., I learned in kundalini and it really adds to the experience.
Pink Geranium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 04:10 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 233.9/143/160

Height: 5'7"

There are many types of yoga-kundalini, hatha, bikram, etc. and before you sign up for a class, or buy a dvd, it is a good idea to maybe search around on the web and read the descriptions of each type.

Personally, I like to vary my types of yoga. Sometimes I need the stretching and flexibility work, but other times I need to relieve stress and tension, and get into a more meditative state.

My recommendation would be to finish the class-but REALLY finish it. During meditative positions, don't be thinking about errands, balancing the checkbook, etc. but really get in tune with yourself and your body.
aphil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 06:49 PM   #8  
Just keep moving ...

S/C/G: 241/238/140

Height: Just short enough (aka 5'4")

Hi! I love yoga, but my practice has evaporated of late. I particularly like "restorative yoga" which uses props like blocks and bolsters to get really deep into the stretch.

Someone said that yoga is many things, and they are absolutley right. The exercises most people think of as yoga are called asanas. They are poses, essentially that combine with ways of breathing to stretch and strengthen the body. There is also an entire area of yoga based entirely on breathing - I've forgotten what it is called at the moment, but its great. Some of the breathing exercises are like a massage for your internal organs!

I've never taken any kundalini yoga, but I know that it is supposed to help open and align your chakras (also called energy centers in Eastern medicine). Even those who don't buy into chakras can benefit from learning to body scan and connect your breathing to your body. Chanting, as I understand it, helps focus the mind and prevent it from wandering off to what chores need to be done! Also, some practicioners believe that particular tones can connect to certain energy points.

Anyway, let us know how it goes! I hope you enjoy it!
Amarie2pt0 is offline   Reply With Quote