Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 03-05-2008, 07:24 AM   #1  
Goonies never say die!

S/C/G: 198/ticker/145

Height: 5'5"

Default Putting it into perspective

Oh my... so i had a horrible realization this weekend.

My husband and i were at Petsmart buying dog food for Oliver.... when i realized that i was trying to lose more weight than a giant 40lb bag of dog food.. which was heavy! I am carrying more than a big bag of dog food around with me all the time!

It really pushed things into perspective for me... and kind of freaked me out a bit... but motivated me! Imagine actually carrying around that bag of dog food all the time.... but... wait... it's like i am!

Anyone else have a moment like this?
DaisyNicole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:47 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

Great realization, and kind of sobering.

My realization didn't happen until after I'd lost a lot of weight. I have small dogs (20 & 25 pounds) and one day I realized I'd lost more than they weighed together!! wowsa!

When you lose the weight, pick up that bag again and see how heavy it is!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:54 AM   #3  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Oh yeah, GREAT realization. It's something, isn't it?

Just like Heather, that realization didn't come til AFTER my weight loss. HAD I realized it earlier, perhaps my loss would have occured earlier .

It is astounding, simply astounding to think that I was hauling around all that extra weight. I don't know how I did it. Or better yet - WHY .

Anyway, I'm glad you've had this realization and I'm even happier to hear that you will use it as motivatin to spur you on!

Last edited by rockinrobin; 03-05-2008 at 07:55 AM.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:58 AM   #4  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

When I was heavier, I used to say that I would go jogging with anyone, but that they had to wear a weighted backpack so that we would weigh the same. Then they could see what it's like to be overweight.

It really makes daily life so much harder to be overweight. Climbing stairs, getting up from a chair, even just walking.

That's why when someone wants to start exercise while overweight, it's a good idea to start very slowly and with exercises or machines that aren't hard on the joints. It's easy to overdo.

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 08:01 AM   #5  
Made of Starstuff

My brother & I are both losing weight, we've lost about 160 lbs together... We both started saying "Wow... that's a whole frickin' person!" When we're done losing, we'll have lost an obese person... We were both like "Holy... that's a lot."

I just imagine myself once I'm down at goal carrying around this adult in one of those baby backpack things. Ouch!
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:34 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 295/225/back to Onederland

I've lost 120 pounds and my husband between 50-60. That's ME at my current weight that we've lost! holy cow!!!!
Heather is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:45 AM   #7  

I try to find it exciting -- yes, I have to lose 100 lbs (my oldest son weighs about 109 and I couldn't pick him up if the house was on fire ) but I look forward to getting that "extra person off of me" so I can run, play sports and wear nice clothes again. And, I also have a 50 pound little guy, so when I'm at 1/2 my goal, I have a visual to pick up as well!!
shelby897 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 10:20 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 188/188/175

Default Dog Food Experience

I had a similar experience in the dog food aisle. But mine was more nutritionally related. My poor dog was allergic to EVERYTHING so I had to find food she could eat that wouldn't cause a reaction. How many hours did I spend pouring over the labels on a bag of food??? WAY more time than I did looking at the food I was putting into my own body.

I did so much more to keep her healthy and active than I did for myself at that time. It's my turn, now!
BoiseShan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:22 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 244/234/135

Height: 5'6"

I actually had the same thing, except I was at Costo lugging a 40lb bag of dog food across the store to put in my mother's cart. When I had put it in the cart (I was at about 205 lbs at that time) I thought about how much relief I felt after getting rid of it, and how great I'd feel after losing that 'dog food'(and then some!) off of my body. That's one of the things that got me serious about this weight-loss business.
Horo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:31 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 215-220?/200/155

Height: 5'9"

One of my favorite Biggest Loser things is toward the end when they have to do a challenge while wearing the weights equivalent to what they've lost. It's really eye opening!!
M a g g i e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 11:48 AM   #11  
Crazy runner

S/C/G: 213/131/maintaining

Height: 5'4.5"

What a realization, huh? I know exactly what you're talking about with those 40 pounder bags of dog food. Now multiply that by 2 and that's about how much weight I have to lose. It never FEELS like that much on my body, but it's astounding to actually hold 80lbs of weight in your hands. My husband has a set of 45 lb. weights that he uses for bench presses. 90 lbs... it's a real eye opener. I can't wait until I can lift even just one of those 45 lb weights and say "this is how much I've lost!"

What a great motivator.
Fat Pants is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:14 PM   #12  
Future Glamazon

S/C/G: 254/198/170

Height: 6'2"

I've only lost ten pounds so far, but when I pick up a 10 pound weight I think "Gosh that's heavy! And it was on my body!!"

I keep that 10 pound weight on my kitchen counter, now, as a reminder.
Apple Cheeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 04:49 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 202/ticker/135

Height: 5'2"

It's fun checking your weight loss with familiar items. I am almost up to the 44 lb bag of Pedigree. I just bought one yesterday, and I could hardly get it in the trunk! Five more lbs!
gailr42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:50 AM   #14  

S/C/G: 225/?/155

Height: 5'7"

DaisyNicole:

I had a moment like this when I was only seeing the scale move 1 lb at a time. I was thinking that this was not working and 1 lb was nothing...until I looked at a 1 lb container of potato salad... that is a lot of potato salad, so now I cherish each and every pound I lose.
didjaever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 11:58 AM   #15  

S/C/G: Unhealthy/see ticker/happy

Height: 5ft 9in

Default Thanks For putting it into perspective

What a great idea. I am always struggling to lift my darling doggies food out of the pet store. So I'll think of that the next time I don't want to go to the gym or I want to binge.
Thanks
scrappinRN is offline   Reply With Quote