Closed Thread

Old 02-20-2002, 06:19 AM   #1  
Scotland's finest export

Talking Hump day ;)

Morning girls!
Great thread yesterday. I pretend I'm dancing too when I do aerobics!! And I make wishes on the treadmill! I must confess, I play the wishes game all the time!! Like, "if I get to the end of the road before a car passes me then BF and I will get a kitten" type thing.
This morning I made yoga even though the underground was terrible. a defective train further down the line meant I had to wait 20 mins for a train. usually there is one at least every 2 minutes. grrr!!!
For anyone starting running I'd recommend this program. I followed it and it starts off really gently.
http://kicksports.com/new/couch.shtml
I'm not doing so much running just now cos it's hard to fit everything in. I do legs, bums and tums classes on tues and thurs mornings, yoga on wed am and sunday lunchtime, and today i'm doing a body conditioning class at lunchtime with a coworker! but i'm going to try and do another 5k this year so i reckon i'll start training again. i'll probably try to fit it in after doing the aerobic classes...
Got to go work, but will come back later. Big hello to you all!!
Oh, and esp good to hear from you Trish! Any more baby pics?!
Kirsty
Old 02-20-2002, 10:36 AM   #2  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Sure is quiet in here today!!!!

Kirsty - Good morning to you! I'm glad you make the wishes too. And I checked out the running website. NICE.

Things here are fine. My WW scale said I lost three, but my gym scale said I gained 1 (I check on both every Tuesday to "calibrate" the two scales). SO I'm not quite sure what to think.

Anyway, all's going well and I'll check back later.

Lisa
Old 02-20-2002, 10:42 AM   #3  
Fed Up With Fat!!

Default Good Morning!

QUick post, I'm dodging the boss!
I went to WI and lost .8# I was super glad for anything showing a loss! I also shared the Pirates Booty newsflash with my leader!
Gotta go, I'll be back, I promise!
Old 02-20-2002, 10:43 AM   #4  
Bono Fanatic!

Wink Happy Hump Day!

Hi Kirsty! Your workout schedule sounds really good. I know I need more variety in what I do, since I basically just run and do tae-bo. I can do both of those at home and am much more motivated if I don't have to go anywhere. But seeing all of the different things that you do has me motivated to try something new. I love taking classes so maybe I will try to find at least one that I really like and add it one day a week to mix things up a bit.

Lisa - It is quiet here. But give me time, I'm sure I will think of plenty to talk about!! Did you weigh at ww earlier in the day and at the gym after work? That could account for the difference in weight. Don't worry about it. We all know you are in the 150s!!

Things here are crazy. I hate packing and am pretty crabby since that is all I have been doing for 3 days now. But it is almost over and soon I will be in my new 2 bedroom place with my new appliances and I will be so happy!!! However, my helpers (brother and sister) aren't so happy, as I scheduled the move for Saturday morning, and my bro's b-day is Friday. oops! I did promise them a good dinner though, as payment for their hard work.
Old 02-20-2002, 11:13 AM   #5  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Talking

Morning everyone!

Kirsty--Thanks for the link to the running page. I'd like to start running outside the gym, but I have shin splints and I'm not sure my shins could handle the concrete--they sometimes ache after just running on the spring board.

Stacey--Congrats on the loss... I was a little disappointed at my WI last night to find that I'm up .2 lbs... I suppose it's not that bad after the three days of absolutely blowing it, but I was kind of hoping to be the same as last week. Oh well, next week will be better!

Jen--I am SO jealous, wish I were moving. Isn't that pathetic? I hate moving, but I want to move. I think it's got to do with the bugs that seem to keep trying to inhabit my apartment... I'm not a dirty person or anything (that's not why I have bugs), it's mostly spiders year-round and crickets and centipedes in the summer... I keep hoping that the PERFECT place will come open, but I live in a small town in Nebraska and there just aren't that many apartments to choose from.

So, not much happening here. Like I said, WI was last night, up .2 lbs, how depressing, but I'm confident that next week will be better.

Well, I have piles of work to get through, so I better get to it. I'll check back later to say hi again.

Have a great day!
Old 02-20-2002, 11:20 AM   #6  
Canadian Chick

Hello Dollies!

How are you all today? I am suffering from guilt today! I went over my points last night in a big way I had lunch at 12 & it was pizza so it came out to 16 points! Then I was so busy at workt hat I didn't get to eat supper until 9pm & by that time I was ravenous!!! Stopped at this really great sub place on the ay hom & got a LARGE sub and they have these to die for double double chocolate cookies and I bought three I scarfed the whole thing down! I didn't even consider saving half of it for today. The sub is about 16 points & the cookies are three points for one so that's 9 points !!!!! I also used up 6 points in the morning for my breakfast. You know what the really funny part is whenI was standing in the sub shop trying to decide what to drink I remember thinking that I should get the cranberry juice rather than the chocolate milk I really wanted because it would be less points & it counts as a serving of fruit!!! How funny is that?? Oh well. Thank goodness today is another day! THink I'll have to do some backward banking of my own. All of the talk about exercise is really motivating The weather is beautiful here today. I hope that I have time before work to go for a nice long walk. I have to do a bunch of housework this morning because my dad, his wife & my little brother will be here tonight to stay for a couple of days

Lisa, congrats on hitting the 150s! Keep it up! Are you following women's hockey too? Should be a great gold medal game tomorrow! The game the Canadian women played against Finland was awesome! In the second period alone we had 26 shots & yet their ghoalie basically stood on her head! She was awesome. Must have tired her out though because we managed to score 5 goals on the 3rd! Can't wait for the men's game tonight Go Canada Go!!!!

Jen, Have fun moving! I hope it goes by smoothly.

Stacey, congrats on the loss

Kirsty, sounds like you're super active! That's fab! My wish is to some day be that active.

Anyway, I should go clean house. I'll talk to you all later. Hi to everyone else!

-Rina
Old 02-20-2002, 11:27 AM   #7  
Canadian Chick

Hi Jess, you must've posted while I was writing my monster post! You might want to try running outside because while running on the spot is better than no running at all, it takes differetn body mechanics than actual running ina forward motion. Lots of times it is actually alot harder on your body to run on the spot because you have to force your body to stay in one spot so you're contracting muscles that are otherwise loose when you run freely. As for shin splits, try not to run on any inclines & stretchout really good, go get a massage with focus on that area. Ask your massage therapist to show you how to do pressure points along the anterior compartment & then you can do then yourself before & after running to help open up your shin area. Make sure to you stretch out your calf really well too because if its too tight then your shin area (anterior compartment) has to workthat much harder to contract forward causing stress to the area & often shin splints (microtearing of the muscle from the tibia). Anyway just thought I'd give you some unsolicited advice. Sorry for blabbing my big mouth off. Tlak to you later

-Rina
Old 02-20-2002, 01:15 PM   #8  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Stacey - congrats on the loss!!

JenK - well.... When I weighed in at WW last week I was 161 at 11:00am. This week at 11:00am I was 158. Last week at the gym at 6:00pm I was 162, and this week at the gym at 6:00pm I was 163. So, I weighed in at the same time I usually do every week at the gym. I'm not sure what to think. BUt I know that things fluctuate, so I won't get too discouraged. I'll just see what happens next week.

Jess - .2lbs is so negligible... I wouldn't bat an eyelash. Our scale only does .5lb increments... so something that small wouldn't even normally show up. You could gain .2lb if there was a draft in the room!!!

Rina - I missed the canadian's women's game... but caught the end of the US game. That'll be exciting. US vs. Canada. It will be a good match up. It's amazing how mush North America is dominating the women's game.

I feel really full. DOn't know why. I had a sandwhich, grapes and a salad and went for a walk after lunch.

Bad thing though... the US men's game was supposed to be at 10:15, but now it's at 6:00... so I can't miss it, which means I can't go to the gym today. I walked at lunch and I can do some sit ups during the game, but no major cardio. I'm bumming about that. Maybe I'll go for a walk after the game's over.

You ladies have a good day!

Lisa
Old 02-20-2002, 01:25 PM   #9  
One Sick Puppy

Height: 5'6"

Rina--Thanks so much for the advice on shin splints! They've been an issue and of course, everyone is like "Oh, just work through them and they'll stop hurting." But they're not. Maybe I'll go for a run tonight... Oh wait, first I need to buy some running shoes--hey, that sounds like an excuse for a shopping trip!!

Lisa--I know, I shouldn't be worried about the .2 lbs, but for the last few weeks, I've lost, so even this teeny little gain seems large... But, I KNOW next week will be better because I'm going to stay OP and go to the gym more than once this week. (I only went once last week. No wonder I gained... )

OK, I really had better get a little work done. Will be back later!!
Old 02-20-2002, 01:30 PM   #10  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Hello girls. I love that we are all admitting our weird things we do to get us through the work out. I actually did begin running this morning. I used the program from taht link yesterday which suggested that in wk 1 you walk 5 minutes, jog 1.5 miles, walk3 minutes and then finish with running 5 minutes. I didn't think that I would be able to do it but I did! I am really excited that I did it. I think what motivated me was when I suggested the 5k to a friend and said that it didn't seem that bad she said and I quote "can you even run ONE mile?" I was so offended and I just said well I don't know but I am going to try and build up until I can do a 5k. Uh I was so mad and that is what I thought of on the treadmill this morning. Needless to say I don't even think I will mention to her that I am planning on running the 5k b/c I want to make sure I will accomplish it first. She is just one of those negative people. She has just recently put on some weight and I think she is bitter. WE do aerobics together a couple of times a wk and I actually think that is why the comment bothered me more she must not think I am doing well or something who knows ANYWAYS, thanks for the vent I appreciate it.
Kirsty-thanks for the running infor I checked it out and may combine the two

Jess- Yah being up a bit isn't bad. Don't sweat it

Lisa- You are the motivation queen right now. I love how determined you are. I am getting there. I just wanted to let you know taht your charts are inspiring

Rina I completely understand. Good outlook though. Today is a new day.

Jen- Sorry that moving sucks but just keep focussing on the reward.

Stacey- Congrats on the loss. I am hoping for one on saturday. Hey I feel so out of the loop. I don't even know what this pirates stuff is

Ok girls I will check in later and wish me luck tomorrow is day 2 of the running.

Becky
Old 02-20-2002, 01:37 PM   #11  
Shopper Extraordinaire

Missed a few posts during mine!

Ok Lisa the comment to Jess about a draft in the room adding .2 made me laugh out loud. Very funny. And I am not surprised that you weighed more at 6 you probably had lunch and dinner and then weighed so don't sweat it just wait til next wk or whenever you weigh in. I always get discouraged when I weigh often. I admit though that I still weigh too often.
Old 02-20-2002, 02:30 PM   #12  
A Yankee in Virginia

Hi girls.

Sorry I've been MIA for a while. I went away for a long weekend to see my high school friends. What an interesting time. Two of the girls I had seen in the past five years, but the other three I hadn't seen since HS graduation in '90! For the most part, we got along well, especially me and two girls who were among my closest friends in high school. But there was one girl, the one who's house we stayed at, seemed to brag inccessantly about herself, her accomplishments, her things, blah, blah, blah. I KNOW I don't make a lot of money as a journalist - I knew that going into my career; but I don't need to be reminded so blantantly with a tour of her custom-made furniture!

The other thing that was a little difficult for me is that there was a lot of baby talk. I meant a LOT. Two of them have kids (1 year an 2 1/2), one is 6-months pregnant. I love hearing baby stories, don't get me wrong, and I want kids one day, but it took up 70 percent of our conversations. As someone who doesn't have kids and doesn't plan to for a few years yet ... well, you can see how my mind could be wandering! (And if I had to hear the gory details of the C-section one more time I think I was going to throw up. Talk about making me NOT want to have a baby at the moment! )

But all in all, I'm glad I went.

So how is everyone? I haven't read through all the posts, but I hope everything's going well. I haven't really been paying attention to what I'm eating lately, but when I saw my Grandma on my way to my friend's house she told me I looked like I had lost weight since when she last saw me at Thanksgiving. The scale says the same, so I don't know what's up. I'm still trying to find a time I can rejoin WW! I was going to go at lunch, but an interview went long.

Well, I better get some work done!
Old 02-20-2002, 02:39 PM   #13  
GO TERRIERS!!!!

Jess,

Well hopefully I really lost this week, but with the discrepencies in the gym scale, etc I might be with you in the gain club this week. I know what you mean though..... you've been losing and doing so well, so not losing can be discoraging.

Becky!! Awesome!!! 1.5 miles in your first workout. Amazing. You're awesome. And my hero! Yeah, that was awful your friend said that. Great motivation to do it. You'll show her! You're motivating me now.... I've been doing mostly EFX machine, but I'm adding running to my workout too. All these links the girls have been posting really make me want to get into running!

Kim - good to hear from you. I got together with my HS friends this weekend too... but I usually see them 2-3 times a year. Don't you just love the braggers? There's always one in the bunch.

Since I can't work out after work (because of the all-important USA hockey game) - when a co-worker emailed everyone asking if someone could help him unpack the lab (we moved buildings last week)... I ran to help. Even though I ahve tons to do.. I figures a half hour break couldn't hurt and the exercise (lifting and moving boxes) was a little something since I won't be working out tonight.

Hope everyone has a great day.

Go USA!!! Good luck to Canada too (it's be fun to meet y'all in the finals!)

Lisa
Old 02-20-2002, 05:38 PM   #14  
A Yankee in Virginia

Lisa: I was actually in Boston for part of the time! My friend lives in Bellingham, and the six of us stayed there. We came from Seattle, Chicago, North Carolina, New York and Virginia (that's me). Sat. night, we took a limo into Boston, ate at Mamma Maria's in the North End (WAY too expensive and not at all satisfying — we ended up making the limo driver stop at McDonald's on the way home for french fries). We also went to the House of Blues. My friend from Seattle got her husband, who is a concert promoter, to get us tickets for the live act that night.
Closed Thread