UK Fat Chicks Meet dieters in your area, discuss weight and food issues unique to the UK.

Old 03-03-2008, 07:26 AM   #1  

Default what works for you?

i'm new here and was just wondering what has worked for those of you who've had success in losing weight? i would really like to find a programme thats realisic and doable. i have about 6-7 stone (ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! scary!!!!!!!!) to lose and just need some momentum to get started. i cant even seem to manage one day without going off the rails at some point. part of it is boredom and loneliness i guess. i am really determined to make some changes as i cant go on like this anymore. any tips or suggestions welcome
adreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2008, 11:48 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 290/170/170

Well, over the years I've tried many diets and you know all of them work! Weightwatchers - I've lost 3 and 4.5 stone on. Slimming World likewise. Rosemary Conely and going way back the F Plan I lost 2 stone on. The only one that I did not see significant weigtloss on was the Food Doctor diet but it was probably the most healthy way of eating I followed.

Trouble is the sustainability of all of these and finding a plan you can do for life. So now I'm doing staightforward calorie counting plus keeping an eye on fat grams. This way I have lost 5 stone and I do think I could do this for life. No forbidden foods, no horrible things that I dislike to eat which I ate just because the plan told me to.

Kitty
KforKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 12:54 PM   #3  

Default thanks

thanks for your reply.congratulations on your weight loss!!!! did you use calori counting to lose all of your weight? if so, how did you figure out your allowances? how did you stick with it? you've done so well. you should be so proud
Old 03-04-2008, 05:43 PM   #4  

Yes I have been calorie counting since day one (7 May 2007) but I started watching fat grams about 3 months later. I just guessed really where to start with my calories. I'm only 5'4" and do a fairly sedentry job. Like I said I had done WW and lost on 28 points. I knew that a WW point was roughly 50 calories so I figured I'd start at 1400-1500 cals and see where I went from there. I'm still in the same calorie range and still losing 9 months on.

BTW, I was also precribed Xenical by my doctor end of July last year, which I think has helped me be more consistent with my weightloss.

Kitty
Old 03-04-2008, 06:03 PM   #5  
Skinny cow in the making!

S/C/G: 193/149/126

Height: 5'4

I am also calorie counting at the moment.
I find it to be the easiest way for me to lose weight. Although I haven't lost a huge amount of weight so far, my losses have been (almost) consistent and I find using a calorie counter (I use fitday.com) helps me keep on track. It varies but I eat between 1200-1600 cals per day.
I did Atkins a few years ago and lost a lot of weight but ended up unhealthy and it has put me of meat since then (I don't touch red meat now and only occasionally now eat chicken) so, although it got the weight off quickly, I couldn't sustain it.
Try a plan you think will suit you best, have a look on all the different boards here at 3FC dedicated to certain plans and I am sure you'll find a plan for you!
Jadeybaby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:49 AM   #6  

Default thanks again

i had never really thought about calorie counting before as it seemed too fiddley but since you are all doing it with really good results, i think i will have a go. is it difficult figuring out calories in what you cook? i had a quick look at fit day last week but think i will have another look. i suppose the key is to be consistent and know whats going in.congrats to all of you who are well on the way. i think its just committing to something thats the hard part, along with starting it
Old 03-05-2008, 09:18 AM   #7  

S/C/G: 76.2/76/58kg

Height: 5ft6/1.67m

I recommend caloriecounting too, it's the only thing that has worked long term, I have the "Calorie, carb and fat bible" to help me count. It's easy to find an online calculator to find out your calorie need per day for your weight, height and activity level, just deduce 500 cals of that and as your weight drops you need to recalculate your calorie levels. I've read that having too much calorie deficiency slows your metabolism and actually tells your body to save fat as it's in emergency mode, so it's good to not keep calories too low as it will lead to muscle loss instead of fat loss. Some higher calorie days, like 500 extra twice a month can help speed up weight loss. Some people have got this down to an art :-) Good luck with whichever method is best for you!
tiggy123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:31 AM   #8  

Easy way to count your daily cals is to use:

www.Fitday.com

It's free. Although US based, you can customise it, putting in the foods you eat, and the beauty of it is, it also calculates protein, carb, fat, etc %s - so if you need to aim at, say 75g of protein per day you know, with Fitday, if you're falling short.

I lost 3st in 2006, using a combination of things, but Fitday was a great tool. I still use it now and again just to check my cals. You can also punch in your exercise minutes and it gives you no' cals burned for doing different forms of exercise.
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 09:35 AM   #9  

The nutritional information on many foods now is very clearly displayed, just make sure you keep the portion accurate. For this I have a very old set of weightwatchers scales that weighs in 1/2 oz and 10g divisions. I'd also advise getting a couple of decent low fat cook books which show the calories per portion. Again most of mine are old weightwatchers books. After a few weeks you will have some idea of good menus and what you can eat so it becomes less burdensome to calculate the calories.

Kitty
Old 03-06-2008, 05:33 AM   #10  

great way to start the day by seeing so many helpful replies!!! seems calorie counting is the way to go. do you include all fresh veg and fruit in your daily calories too? thanks again for all your tips!!!
Old 03-06-2008, 06:29 AM   #11  

You count everything! Just because something's 'healthy' doesn't mean it's from an alternate universe with zero calories!!!! I only eat wholefoods - fruit, veg, nuts, seeds and dairy so if I didn't count them in technically I'd have starved to death 2 years ago!

As I said above, try www.Fitday.com - it takes all the calculating out of it. (Has fruit and veg in too!)
PhatPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 09:36 AM   #12  

I also count everything as it is possible to overeat even on healthy foods (been there, done that).

Kitty