South Beach Diet - Monday Madness

View Full Version : Monday Madness

Loriann7
03-03-2008, 06:28 AM
Good Morning all. Sorry to not have dropped in this weekend, busy. Late last night we received a phone call that no one likes to get. My son's "grandfather" passed away yesterday. Barb (His grandmother) lost her first husband about 15 yrs ago and married this guy. We all loved Lenny. Yes, even I. It's truly a sad day for everyone. My son is going to college today, knowing he can't miss that much, but will be telling his instructors of the death in the family. Barb will be calling with funeral arrangements. It's hard. I won't be going to the funeral because I don't want to cause friction in the family. See, Barb is convinced her son is an angel and I'm the evil one. And yes, she knows he used to beat me silly. I suppose thats what mothers do sometimes, put blinders on and convince themselves that their children are all angels. Anyway... my prayers are with them.

femmecreole
03-03-2008, 06:53 AM
Loriann, so sorry to hear your son's grandfather passed away. I know that must be hard for him and also puts you in an awkward situation (been there when my ex's Dad passed).

Going to be a very busy week and a 1/2 for me with my Mother going back to NC next week and my sister, bil and my dd coming in...lots of cleaning, yardwork, cooking etc to do before they get here (plus 2 jobs on top of that) but looking forward to seeing everyone. Seems like this winter my home has turned into a B & B, but I love it. It's going to very quiet when they are all gone. Don't know if I really am looking forward to the quiet or not!

We had a nice day in Mississippi after we finally got there. Went to the cemetery, out to eat, then visited with a cousin for a while. The weather was perfect.

Hope everyone has a great week!

Loriann7
03-03-2008, 06:57 AM
femme, thank you... You sound like a busy beaver! Enjoy the company.

I was just over in the PCOS forum, should of gone there a long time ago, chock full of information. There is an article that says, get this, carbs and refined sugars increase insulin, and those of us with PCOS already have increased insulin.... At least now I know why I gain all my weight in my stomach area!!!!!! I also now know the connection between High blood pressure and the eating habits... acne, chest pains...

folks, please, listen to your bodies!!!!! Get your check up and mammograms! (which I need to have one done, suppose to do it every year since my mother passed away from breast cancer)...

cottagebythesea
03-03-2008, 07:12 AM
Good morning,

Loriann, I'm sorry to hear about your son's grandfather. I hope he went peacefully. Thanks for the timely reminder, I need to schedule my yearly exam and mammo. In fact, I think I'll get that done today. :)

Cat, you sound busy but happy! It sounds like you had a real nice day yesterday.

I'm trying to get myself motivated to go to Curves this morning. It's hard to get back in the exercise mode after taking last week off, but my cold is gone and I don't have any excuses. ;) Besides, after eating 2 helpings of rice pudding yesterday, I'd better get over there and work it off!

Ruthxxx
03-03-2008, 08:17 AM
Monday Madness? Or Monday Motivation? I'm not sure yet but things may be clearer after my coffee. At least I know I can now drive my car - FREEDOM!

Loriann, sorry to hear of your bad news. It does make things awkward but I'm sure you will make the best decision. Would your son be able to go to the funeral on his own to smooth things over with his grandmother?

Cat, your B&B sounds like mine around Christmas this year. I am sure you will love your Mother's visit and miss her when she goes back to NC.

Cottage, here's lifting my mug to a peaceful Monday for you. One of these days I need to get back to the gym - at the moment I cannot imagine climbing the stairs to the second floor. I hope that rice pudding had raisins in it to make it really worth it.

Chickies, I need to get back to pure South Beach eating. Today's focus must be on veggies, fiber and water. TMI, I'm sure but I need a "celebration" as Weezle used to say. (Where is she these days?)

Yesterday I drove my car for the first time since January 23. What freedom to be able to go to the store for milk and then have lunch at the diner with the local lads! Today, weather permitting, I may take another slightly longer excursion. My aim is to be able to take myself to town on Wednesday for my check-up with the surgeon.

Hope your Monday has marvelous moments.

CyndiM
03-03-2008, 08:19 AM
Good morning Chicks-

Another week and I have no idea what I'm doing. I left my briefcase with planner in my friend's car after the Brew Pub Friday night and have absolutely no idea what I'm doing this week. I love surprises!

Loriann - Sorry about your ex in law and about the awkward situation. We do a lot of things for our kids. The articles you read sound really useful! Good luck applying them - hope the tips are as helpful as they promise to be.

Cat - I don't know how you juggle it all! I've bookmarked your garden pictures - just to give me hope ;)

Cottage - Glad you're feeling better. Good luck at Curves. I'm actually going to check out our local Curves. My PT says go for it and I would love to find something to add in during the day to free up a few evening a little. I have to admit rice pudding is one of the things I miss. Actually, pudding in general are on the list. There is a local dairy that makes amazing puddings - pumpkin, chocolate, rice, Indian. I think I'm gaining weight just thinking about them. Back to my yogurt!

Speaking of yogurt I want to share my great find with all the Greek yogurt eaters. When I couldn't find the large cartons of fat free someone suggested making my own by straining it through a coffee filter (made me laugh a little because back in my hippie vegetarian days we made yogurt cheese like that!). I've tried it with several brands now and it does work well, but I've found one brand that is exceptional. Don't know if you can get it in other parts of the country, but Butterworks Farm fat free plain makes the most amazing thick, rich greek style yogurt. It's like a really decadent whipped cream. If you can get your hands on some try it! Right now I'm eating some with strawberries I froze last fall and almond ezekiel cereal. :drool:

Well, off to start another week. I'm not going to mention tomorrow night's storm. Maybe it will go away.

CyndiM
03-03-2008, 08:21 AM
Good morning Ruth - simul posting! Congratulations on the driving. Isn't it great to be independent again :) :carrot:

little chick
03-03-2008, 08:28 AM
Good Morning chicks, thought I would pop in and say hello, before my awful monday starts, so the title is perfect for me. I have to prepare for a meeting tonight to deal with this horrible dance mother. Please someone tell me why I get involved in committees. So my day of cooking is put on the burner so to speak till tomorrow. The only good thing about today is it the start of our March break and so far I have no kiddies. Looks like I may only have 2 today. Yippee. Well I have to dash and check all my emails and start preparing for the god awful meeting tonight. We are getting the storm on wed, they are saying 30 cms..... GRRRR.

Schmoodle
03-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Good morning chicks. It's a good way to start the week, with DH taking over supervising the kids' breakfast and making lunches, and waking me with a cup of coffee!

Loriann, my condolences to your son on his grandfather's passing.
Cat, have a great week with your family.
cottage, mmm rice pudding, you naughty girl!:D
Ruth, I'll bet your outing did you a lot of good. I'm sure there's no keeping you down for long! I've been wondering about weezle too...
Cyndi, thanks for the tip. I love Greek yogurt. I've never seen that brand, but I'll have to google it and see if I can get it around here.
lc, I feel for you. I did the competition dance mama thing for 10 years, and dance moms are the craziest! They are usually much worse than the daughters!

Nothing exciting on the horizon here, but that's the way I like it. After my weekend I'm ready to get back into my routine. I need to plan my menu for the day, as I've gotten out of that habit lately. Have a good one chickies!

Barb0522
03-03-2008, 09:27 AM
Lori - I'm so sorry to hear about your ex-inlaw. I kept in touch with my first husband's family for years. They were like parents to me when we married in college. The only time I've had to deal with abuse was this one and neither of us have any parent left and our sister live many states away from us. I feel sad sometimes that Brian doesn't know any relatives very well.

Cat - Are you supposed to get our bad weather tomorrow? We had a gorgeous Saturday but the rain started last night and it's been severe at times. The temp is dropping. It was about 80 on Saturday and tonight they are talking about a freeze and possible snow. What a change!

cottage - I REALLY need to get back to exercising. I've got stuff after work the next 3 nights and with 7AM meetings I can't make it work in the morning. I'll find time somehow.

Ruth - I'm so glad you are getting some freedom. I know you have friends who can help you but I know how much you value being able to do it yourself.

Cyndi - I'm glad you like surprises. I would be absolutely freaking if I lost my planner!

little chick - Enjoy Spring Break. Brian is out from the 14th - 21st but he'll be in a day care that does field trips during spring break.

Hi, schmoodle!

I've got to shut down the computer to get to work. I'll try to post more later.

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 09:56 AM
Loriann - what a hard way to start a week. I imagine it's hard when you want to be there for your son but can't because of the friction.

femme - I would go crazy with that many people in my house. I'm a homebody and a bit of a loner, so I keep mostly to myself. My home is my oasis.. LOL!

Loriann - there are a whole host of problems associated from the inflammation cycle caused by overindulging in carbs. You would be amazed at the list of maladies that are aggravated by it!

Cottage - I need to exercise today, too. It's supposed to be in the 50's today (In Buffalo in March???) so I hope the rain holds off long enough I can take DD4 for a walk. It's VERY hilly here, so I get aerobic and weight training...

Ruth - one of the best ways for me to plan a celebration is to serve beets the night before (can you do beets in later phases?). Cauliflower is a good one, too. :D

Cyndi - I just recently heard of this Greek yogurt. What flavor does it have? Is it like cream cheese? I can remember making some kind of dessert by straining the yogurt in a coffee filter, but for the life of me can't now.

Well, I made it through my first day of PhaseI. It wasn't so bad, until I stayed up late reading and got HUNGRY. I had a small handful of almonds and that settled things. I was so proud of myself, I nearly did a dance! (At midnight.) I hope to walk today with DD4 - the weather is warm, but I have to hurry to beat the rain that is due. My scale read 2.5 less this morning. I know it's just that first loss that comes off easy, but I still like the number!!!

Someone was saying they're a visual person and had stickers for exercise. I made myself 5 thread bracelets with a few blue beads on it. Every time I lose a pound toward my 5lb mini-goal, I take one of them off. So today I only have 3 bracelets on. It's just helping me to focus when my motivation starts flagging. And they're simple to manage!

The PhaseI belgian waffles really MADE my morning, though! I had a little FF SF caramel sauce that I spread on... mmmmmmmmm I think I actually like these waffles better than the real ones. Very moist.

I'm so glad to have found this group. You are truly already helping my motivation. This is the first time in 3 years I haven't given up midway through the first day!

Krystal

only1naked
03-03-2008, 09:59 AM
Lori - Sorry about your son's grandpa. I am glad that despite all the bad history, he was still able to have a good relationship. That's so important!

Cat - Be sure to count your cleaning and yard work as exercise hours! The effort can be doubly rewarding.

cottage - I know what you are saying about getting back into the mode. We just got a new treadmill after being without one for a couple weeks. I dragged myself on it last night, and that was all it took to be re-motivated. I can't wait to get home from work to go again!

Ruth - Congrats on your new freedom (driving)! That would give me a natural high after so much time.

Cyndi - I am another who would be freaking out if I lost my planner (but maybe more so because mine is electronic and part of my phone. HA!)

little chick - Think Spring!!!

Schmoodle - Way to get back in the swing with meal planning. I am doing the same thing. Maybe we should post them to be accountable!

Barb - I should also shut this down since I am AT work, but for some reason, I'd rather post than get anything done right now. Stick around and be bad with me.

Fluffy - Congrats on making it through day 1! It gets easier and easier.

For me, it feels so good to be back in the swing of things. I didn't gain any weight those 2 weeks I was messing around, but I am so proud of myself for not letting it go any further. I am going to Philadelphia for 4 days this weekend to visit a friend. That will provide entirely new challenges, but she will be helpful and I will do my best to stay on track.

cottagebythesea
03-03-2008, 10:09 AM
I'm back from Curves where I did an extra hard workout, so now I'm feeling better about myself. I just made a big pot of steel-cut oatmeal and am waiting for that to be done so I can have my breakfast. That will take care of breakfasts for the next few days, too.
I don't have to be at Cindy's until later this afternoon, she and the girls went skiing with Cindy's father. So I think I'll spend my free morning putting the house back in order and paying some bills. Jake has plenty of leftovers for his supper tonight, so I don't have to worry about that.
The weather here is supposed to be mild and gorgeous most of the week, makes me want to get out and play in the dirt. :)

Ruth, I love raisins in my pudding but the rest of them don't, and since I was making it for them and not me, I left them out. That's great that you are able to drive again, just getting out of the house and being independent again can give you a whole new outlook on life. Just be very careful, don't take any chances with that snow and ice.

Cyndi, I'll have to look for that Butterworks Farms brand of yogurt and try making my own Greek yogurt. I don't recall seeing it around here, though. It does sound yummy, especially with strawberries!

LC, I hope that meeting with the "dance mother" isn't as bad as you dread. Don't you just hate it when the parents start interfering and try to run the show? It's like they are trying to relive their own childhood again through their children. Just let her know how it's going to be. Good luck!

Schmoodle, you sure do have a gem of a husband to help you out like that, and even bring you coffee in bed! Can I borrow him for a few days to teach Jake a few tricks? :)

Barb, your weather sounds like it's on a rollercoaster! I hope you can find some time to exercise, I feel so much better now that I got it done.

My breakfast is ready, so I'm going to eat and then start getting some things done around here. Have a wonderful Monday!

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 10:10 AM
Good morning all!

Krystal, isn't this group grand? Such motivating and helpful folks! Glad to hear you're doing well!

Barbara, good luck getting everything in! You're always so on top of things, I have no doubt you'll finish.

Loriann, I'm sorry to hear of the loss in your family. I hope everything goes OK for your son.

Ruth, I'm so so so excited that you got to drive yesterday! Have fun with it!

LC, enjoy your quiet house today!

Linda, I actually made rice pudding with brown rice the other day. It was a nice treat, and easily adaptable to South Beach. I don't have issues with rice, though.

Schmoodle, I bet you missed that coffee in bed! I'm so jealous. Ten days left!!!

Cyndi, we used to strain plain yogurt for our kids when they were wee ones and then add in pureed fruit. They loved it! Now it's just easier to buy the Stonyfield Farms ones. Back when our first was born I couldn't find whole milk yogurt without a bunch of junky stuff in it, but now there's a whole host of organic yogurts out.

Cat, I was thinking the same thing about your house being a bed and breakfast! It sounds like you enjoy having the company, though.

Barbie, have fun in Philly! We'll wave at your from across the Tacony-Palmyra Bridge, OK?!

Oh dear. I just had to confiscate gum from Avery again. She even opened a brand new plastic-wrapped pack! That girl is trouble.

Off to get my day started! Laundry and good eating on the docket. And I hope to get in a workout on my sister's elliptical. Oh, and getting to the post office to get Connor's pinewood car weighed.

Kara

cottagebythesea
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Hi, Barbie, we were posting in tandem! Where in Philly are you going to be?

GONNABE165
03-03-2008, 10:11 AM
Good Monday morning! I hope this week is full of success for us all in all areas of our life.

Got up at 5am and did a 12 minute spirt on the elliptical while the coffee brewd and now my energy level is like the energizer bunny.

Loriann sorry to hear of your news :hug:

Cat I'm so glad yall had a good day

Cottage hope you got that workout done

Ruth it's gotta make you feel good to be getting back in the swing of things. Heres some :dust: to help with your eating

Good luck LC

Krystal it sounds like you are doing just fine. I love your motivational idea - keep up the great work

Hi Cyndi, Schmoodle, Barb & Only1 Hope you gals have a great day!

cottagebythesea
03-03-2008, 10:15 AM
I just saw you too, Kara! Looks like most of us are up and at 'em today! I thought of making the rice pudding with brown rice, but Dustin would have had a fit since he's been hankering for our old family recipe. Rice doesn't usually set me off, either, but this recipe is made with whole milk and heavy cream, and real sugar! And, I ate way too much of it! :o

cottagebythesea
03-03-2008, 10:17 AM
Have a great day, GONNA!

Now I'm really out of here! :)

beachgal
03-03-2008, 10:57 AM
Morning, everyone! This time, next week, many of us will be on daylight savings time! :yay: That means spring is coming... :mag:

Loriann, I'm sorry for your loss. :hug: I hope that your son finds comfort in good memories of time with his grandfather. I'm sorry you don't feel you can go to the services--it's so hard when people don't see what's there. We can still love our children/friends/relatives and see them for who they are, IMHO. :shrug: I'm glad you visited the PCOS forum and found so much good advice. Did you read the South Beach Diet book? Dr. A also explains how carbs and refined sugar affect your insulin--but maybe you didn't know that the PCOS was affecting it too? :?: Anyways, it's always a good feeling to know more about how your body works so you can help it feel better! You definitely should have mammograms yearly, hon. If your mother had breast cancer, it can double your chance of getting it. However, lots of other factors affect your risk. You can calculate your personal risk (taking into account your mother's illness) here (http://www.halls.md/breast/risk.htm). I hope the other risk factors are low so you don't have much cause for worry! :hug:

Cat, honey, from the looks of your garden alone, I'd be thrilled to visit your B&B! ;) Considering that your family has the draw of seeing their daughter/sister/aunt, I can understand why they're drawn to you like flies to honey! Hope you have wonderful visits and not too much work!

Ruth, congratulations on the driving and on the 90* bend you must have achieved! :yay: That's awesome!!! I remember that sense of freedom after my accident--it's hard for independent chickies like us to let others take care of everything! ;) Enjoy the freedom! My doctor friend tells me that we need lots of exercise to keep our digestive system active. I doubt you can get all that exercise with the knee--so I can understand why you need a "celebration!" ;) I miss Weezle too! :(

Cyndi, that yogurt sounds ten times better than pudding! ;) As for pudding--it's easy to find/make in P2. There are several flavors available in Jell-o SF. Out by us, Kozy Shack brand makes three kinds of SF fruit/pudding cups. They also make SF tapioca and rice pudding. Technically we shouldn't have the white rice, but I've tried the tapioca and didn't have any cravings. I like to sprinkle some cinnamon on top. Yum! You can also make either instant or cook n' serve SF pudding mixes by Jell-o. And there's also making pudding from scratch, of course. ;) It's an easy craving to meet.

Oh, LC, dealing with awful parents is my least favorite thing ever. :hug: My thoughts and prayers are with you. I hope the mother has a quick change of heart. :club:

Schmoo, what a great DH! :love:

Hope you have a great day at work, Barb! :coffee:

:welcome3: Krystal! I live just a couple hours SE of you in the Finger Lakes. Can you see me waving? :wave: If it's 50 (wow!!!) over by you, it must be fairly warm here--that's great! It was gorgeous yesterday--we went for a walk at a local park with our pup and I just wore my fleece instead of my winter coat. I didn't even have to zip it, though we did have to navigate through a lot of slush and snow. Hope you and DD4 have a great walk! I'm glad you are dealing well with nighttime snacking and your breakfast. Hon, are you using the bottled FF SF caramel? Make sure there isn't anything in there that might cause cravings or limit the detox in Phase 1. I usually avoid it until P2. :?:

Only1, we had our first moderator meetup in Philly and there were tons of great choices there for SBD! Check out Au Bon Pain (if you can avoid the pastries and French bread! :drool: ) for good WW and sourdough bread and amazing soups. There's a chain of convenient stores there that is amazing--they have hard boiled eggs, single servings of cheese, cottage cheese, and all sorts of SBD-safe food. Amazing, but true! We had dinner at an awesome Mediterranean restaurant and I even had dessert, as they serve a strawberry dark chocolate fondue. Yum!!! :T The Reading Market, as full of temptations as it is, had tons of yummy SBD-safe choices, too (plus it was tons of fun!!!). Have a great time!

:wave: to anyone I missed while writing this long post!

Me:
Off to the gym after work. I have book club tonight, which means I will miss our dog obedience class, but DH will take our pup, who has a great time (she'd have a better time if we let her sniff, wiggle, and lick all over the other dogs... :rolleyes: :lol3: ). Usually our book club is a big, congenial pot-luck dinner at one of the members' houses. This one is hosted by a member who didn't feel comfortable having it at her house (don't remember why), so we're doing it at a local B&B. It's a wonderful place that was originally a Civil War Widows home. It's Victorian and huge, so I think it might lack the "coziness" we usually experience in our homes, but that would be okay--except instead of dinner, we're having a dessert buffet. :drool: This B&B also does catering and they make amazing food. Thankfully the organizer was really considerate and asked for a fruit plate as well, so that's what I'll be eating. I'll probably bring a piece of reduced fat cheese with me so I have some protein. DH is making dinner which will probably be ready before I get home around 10. I hate eating that late, but that's how it goes on busy nights. We're talking about Pride and Prejudice at book club, so that should be fun. One of our members just announced that she's moving to NC, so it's going to be a sad night because of that. :(

I can really relate to those of you who are having a hard time fitting exercise in. I really love strength training, but haven't fit it into my exercise routine in a long time. At first my nutritionist didn't want me doing it, and then I just got used to the extra time avoiding it included. :p I'm going to have to get my behind in gear and fit it in at least on Fridays (my day off) if not on Tuesdays (my other day off). I know that I need to fit in yoga/pilates once a week, too. I love it so much and it makes me feel so good! Unfortunately, the two classes are on nights that I often have stuff going on, and to go, I have to go back to the gym from home. If I go on Thursday I'll have to go, do cardio for a half hour, go home and walk the dog/have a snack, change clothes, and then go back to the gym for yoga. :shrug: I'll have to see if I can convince DH to go to the gym with me for the second shift--that way I'll have a buddy to tug me off the comfy couch! :lol:

How do you get yourself motivated to go to the gym? How do you make the time for it in your schedule? I'd love to hear more! :listen:

beachgal
03-03-2008, 11:01 AM
:wave: Kara! Thank you for the oatmeal recipe...it was divine! :love: Is Avery too little for gum?

Barb0522
03-03-2008, 11:24 AM
I'm sitting on hold right now with the gas company. They say 20 more minutes. The bill is in Robert's name and they not only forwarded it him but they changed the address on the account to his PO box. I've paid it online now but I need to see if they will change the account to my name and get the mailing address back to the house. He isn't going to pay it.

I've also got to call this morning to see what I need to do for the family social study that is required. I think I need to go downtown and pay in person and fill out a form which means I am not doing it today in this weather but maybe tomorrow.

I need to get the inventory to my lawyer too. So much stuff to do!

Tonight is our last regular den meeting before the boys cross over to Boy Scouts. I've got paella in the crockpot so I don't need to do anything but make the rice later and toss in the shrimp and peas.

only1naked
03-03-2008, 11:35 AM
Cottage, I didn't even notice your location! My friend lives in Garnet Valley, a stone's throw from the Delaware border. She works in Media. We will stay at her place Thursday night, then we are staying downtown Friday night after shopping and playing all day, (no sales tax on clothing there - whoopie!!) Saturday we are road-tripping to Penn State for the Indiana vs. PSU basketball game (we are both junkies) and staying there Saturday night, then back to her place Sunday night. She's a dentist and I am mooching free work off of her on Monday before I fly back home. So to make a long answer short, we are staying all over!! I visit her about 4 times per year, or so.

Schmoodle
03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Wow, Barb, how does shrimp in the crockpot turn out? It doesn't turn to rubber?

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 11:39 AM
Laurie, I hardly used ANY of the caramel sauce - maybe about half teaspoon total? Honestly, I should have tasted the waffle first, as I think I could eat it just plain. The caramel stuff was in a jar... does that make a difference? I think it was Smuckers brand. I have to limit my sugar substitutes as they give me headaches. I only used a tiny bit of equal (it's what I had) in the batter, too. I will get to the store on Wed to get the Stevia, a natural sweetener. (calorie free)

DD and I *did* have a nice walk. I have walked it a lot but never clocked the distance. It's very hilly, and I push her (35lbs) most of the way except that last LONG hill. It takes me about 45-50 minutes.

Barb - sounds like you're going through a difficult divorce. I admire that you're going through such a stressful time and still managing to eat well and lose.

Well, got to go shower and get the kitchen cleaned. I watch THE VIEW while I do it so I don't feel like it's taking forever. I hate cleaning.... I'm a terrible housekeeper. It's always like pulling teeth!

Krystal

Barb0522
03-03-2008, 11:45 AM
Fluffy - I have gained a couple of pounds. I'm not eating as well as I should be but much better than I would be if I didn't have South Beach and all my friends here.

schmoodle - In this recipe, I throw in the chicken and ham in the morning with the carrots and other stuff. Then later while the rice and saffron is cooking, I add in the thawed shrimp and the peas and cook for about 20-30 minutes on high, just until the shrimp are done. Then it is fine. You are right that the shrimp would turn rubbery if cooked all day.

Laurie - I keep saying that I will make it to the gym at least when Brian is with his dad but there is so much that ends up needing to be done that I haven't made it yet. I did get out and weedwack and edge this weekend so I got a little exercise (arm muscles are still sore) but I need to at least get on the treadmill. I got stuck on a work call for over two hours last night with users in China, Australia, Malaysia etc so I didn't manage to workout then. I'm sure once it warms up that Brian and I will spend lots of time in our new pool.

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 11:47 AM
Laurie, Avery won't be two until May. She has been caught with the gum several times, though! All she does is unwrap a bunch of pieces and chew them and then spit them out, but it's a mess and she chews up ALL MY GUM! Glad you had fun in Philadelphia. The Reading Terminal is one of my favorite places to go in the city!

What's panella, Barbara?

Linda, I made my rice pudding with short-grain brown rice, eggs, skim milk, fat-free half and half, and a little butter. It called for three tablespoons, but I could easily cut it down to two if not one next time. I also added a generous heap of cinnamon, of course, and raisins. I did use brown sugar. Next time I'm going to try the agave nectar. I'm also going to try using just egg whites or Eggbeaters instead of the whole eggs. It won't be the same as the whole milk/heavy cream/regular sugar dessert, but it'll be good! I made it in the crockpot, too. I've become quite the crockpot cook lately!

Kara

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 11:50 AM
Speaking of cooking and baking, I'm going to give those bean brownies another go 'round today. I wanted to get to it yesterday but we went to visit Tom's mom instead. I'll let you all know how they come out!

Kara

Schmoodle
03-03-2008, 11:57 AM
That sounds good, Barb. Now that you mention it, I think i have seen that recipe posted on here somewhere. I love paella, I'll have to give it a try. Kara, paella is a Spanish dish with rice, veggies, and different meats and seafood, flavored with saffron.
Haven't you got those brownies perfected yet Kara? I'm waiting! maybe I'll try them again this week. I've got a can of black beans and some Cool Whip Free.

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks for the explanation! I'll post my results on the brownies!!! :stir:

Kara

cottagebythesea
03-03-2008, 12:08 PM
A black bean brownie sounds like the perfect mid-morning snack today, Kara, I'll be right over! ;)

Barb, the paella sounds good, too. That's something I've never made. :chin: Everytime you tell us about that darned Robert, I want to come down there and smack him one! :club: This is the best move you've ever made. :hug:

Barbie, Media isn't too far from me. Sounds like you're going to have a fun-filled weekend! Maybe we can get together on one of your visits out this way sometime.

Fluff, I'm a fan of THE VIEW, too. I try to catch it whenever I can.

Hey, Laurie! Sounds like we were both in the mood for steelcut oats this morning! :)

I got the house looking all spiffy again, and just finished sending off the last bill. Now I can play the rest of the day!

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Can anyone enlighten me?

What is Greek Yogurt? What flavor does it have? Like regular plain yogurt, salty, sweet, ???? How do you use it?

Also, what are steelcut oats? Do they use actual oats?

femmecreole
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
[QUOTE=Barb0522;2082032]
Cat - Are you supposed to get our bad weather tomorrow? We had a gorgeous Saturday...
QUOTE]

It's supposed to be here by late this afternoon, then it's supposed to get VERY BAD tonight...tornado warnings, hail etc...then not supposed to get above 50 tomorrow. It's about 80 right now and I'm in a sundress and flip flops. grrrrrrr.

Oh, and Fluffy, Greek yogurt is very thick...kind of like sour cream. I've never seen it in flavors (but have never looked for it) I really like FAGE 0%.

only1naked
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Yeah, cottage! That would be great. I love meeting board people. Funny thing, that's how this lady and I met -- we met on a pregnancy board in 2002 and have been fast friends ever since.

GONNABE165
03-03-2008, 12:21 PM
Wow you gals are chatty today and of course I am so busy here at work til I barely have time to breath.

Kara good luck with those brownies

Hiya Laurie

Hope to check back in later

cottagebythesea
03-03-2008, 12:26 PM
Fluffy, Greek yogurt is thicker and creamier than regular yogurt, but the taste is similar. I prefer it because it doesn't seem to have the tanginess that regular yogurt has, and tastes more decadent. You can use it the same as you would any other type of yogurt.

Steel cut oatmeal is made from oats that are cut, not rolled, for a full, hearty texture and rich, nutty taste. They take a bit longer to cook than regular oatmeal, which is why I normally make a big pot of it to use throughout the week, or make it in the crockpot.

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 12:49 PM
OK, the bean brownies are in the oven. I think this might be a winner! I'm going to post the recipe and then I'll do a review once they are done:

1 can navy beans, drained and rinsed
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1 t baking powder
1 t baking soda
1/2 t salt
1 t cinnamon
about 1 t vanilla extract
4 egg whites
1 c nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup sugar-free caramel syrup (Target brand)
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 squares unsweetened baking chocolate, chopped fine (I think it would be better with sugar free chocolates, chopped - I'll have to look harder for those next time.)

They're baking at 350. I'll let you know how long it takes.

Kara

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I'll be expecting you, Linda! They should be coming out of the oven around 12:15 or so. :D

Kara

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 01:11 PM
I still have 5 minutes to get there.... I like my brownies WARM...

Can I have beans in Phase1?

I only have Northern Beans and Black Beans. This one will have to wait.. :(

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Kara, have you ever lived in NY? Near me, on the west? Your picture looks familiar, like someone I might have known as a kid.

only1naked
03-03-2008, 02:27 PM
Can I have beans in Phase1?
Can you?! YES! You should eat beans every single day in Phase I!

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 02:54 PM
OH good. I had forgotten and my book is at the other end of the house. I'm not a big bean eater, so I'll probably have to get them in another way - like the brownies! LOL! I think I will reward myself with a pan of them if I make it through the whole week staying on P1.

How did they come out, Kara? Kara? ............ Kara? Has anyone seen Kara? Uh oh.... I think she's over there..... huddled in the corner. It looks like she's hiding something. Is it a pan? OH! It's the brownies, and it looks like she's enjoying them! :p :lol3:

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 02:55 PM
Yes, Krystal, definitely eat up those beans!!! I've never lived in New York. I was raised in south Jersey, right across the bridge from Philly. I did go to college at the University of New Hampshire for two years. Well, really one and a half because I spent one semester in London. Then I transferred out to Seattle Pacific University because my husband got stationed in Washington. I finished my degree there and then we moved to D.C./Maryland and then on to Texas and then to northern California. Then we came back to New Jersey for a bit and then moved to Korea. The kids and I are now back in New Jersey with family, waiting for Tom to get back from Korea (IN TEN DAYS!) and then we'll stay here while he goes to Florida.

So New York has been one of the few places I haven't lived!

Kara

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 02:56 PM
:rofl:

I did sneak a corner of one brownie, but I left the rest for my dessert after dinner.

THIS IS THE WINNING RECIPE!

Now I tinker with add-ins. But that will have to wait until I get more dry milk.

Bake away, ladies!

Kara

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 03:00 PM
Do you think it would work with Northern Beans, or must it be Navy?

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 03:12 PM
YAY!! My signature works!

GONNABE165
03-03-2008, 03:24 PM
Krystal congrats on your signature

Kara thanks for perfecting the recipe - I will be trying them in the future

Schmoodle
03-03-2008, 03:32 PM
Fluffy, the original recipe called for any kind of bean, although it says black or small white beans work best. When I made it I've used black, haven't experimented with others, but maybe some other chicks have.

Kim_Star060404
03-03-2008, 04:01 PM
Hey, everyone! We're baaaack! Quick check-in as today is our monthly "budget committee meeting" and it's taking forever for me to get all of the #'s right. I'll be back tomorrow to catch up and let you guys know about the trip.

GONNABE165
03-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Kim glad to know your back - can't wait for you tell about your trip

femmecreole
03-03-2008, 07:41 PM
We are under a tornado warning, so I'm going to unplug, but I wanted to share a recipe I just came up with...so yummy and will be great for the summer.

I took about 3/4 cup of frozen peaches and put them in my food processor and pulsed till they were in little pieces. Then I added a small container (5.3oz) of Fage 0 greek yogurt and 2 packages of vanilla flavored splenda, about a 1/2 handfull of pecans and ran it through the processor till the pieces of peach were very small. Talk about good...the yogurt kind of froze and it's the consistancy of homemade ice cream. YUM!!!!!!!!!!!! I think toasted almonds would be great too.

cottagebythesea
03-03-2008, 07:57 PM
Cat, another yummy sounding recipe for me to try! Thanks! :) I'll say a prayer that you stay safe from any tornadoes! :hug:

Kim, I'm glad you had a nice "honeymoon"! Can't wait to hear all about it!

Kara, sorry I couldn't make it for the brownies, maybe next time? ;) I'll have to try your "perfected" recipe next time I make them.

What a gorgeous day it was! You could sure feel spring in the air. I spent most of the afternoon out working in the flower bed, just cleaning up. It felt so good! I sure hope winter is over in these parts. :crossed:

FluffyK
03-03-2008, 08:53 PM
I'm having "issues" right now... bored and snack-time... would really like some sugar. But, I'm going to be strong. I was going to try to eat something to try to fool myself that it was sugary, but realized that that strategy will likely result in me just eating a bunch of stuff and not finding the right thing anyway. I'm just going to lay down and read for a while, hope it passes on. I can't have anything SF, because even the little bit of sweetener I had today is giving me a headache. It's just not worth the headache. I still have until tomorrow to get the stevia to try that. Maybe I"ll try some Vanilla tea without sugar. I usually drink it with sugar, but maybe I'll make it weaker and see how it goes.

:( I've still made it this far - when I make it through tomorrow, I should be over the hump.

I just realized that I have a party on Sunday - two hours driving there, hour of church, party afterwards - two hours home. I had better find something satisfying to pack with me, I'm not chancing that there will be good food for me. Maybe I'll make the bean brownies and take them WITH me. If I don't tell anyone they're bean, they won't know, will they? Are they good enough to pass off as real brownies, or just good enough for someone who wants chocolate and is willing to settle?

murphmitch
03-03-2008, 09:20 PM
Kara - How long did you bake the brownies?

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 09:31 PM
Do you think it would work with Northern Beans, or must it be Navy?

I think Great Northern beans would be fine. I prefer white beans over black beans. They have less inherent flavor. Usually I use cannellini beans, which are the same as Great Northern. I just didn't have any in the cupboard this time around.

Also, I would inform people that they are made with beans. My father-in-law has diverticulitis and ate someone's "pumpkin" pie made with kidney beans once and it made him really sick. Not a lot of people go around announcing that they have intestinal issues, so you might not know.

This recipe is GOOD! The first one I tried was an interesting bean-y concoction. This one passes for "brownie".

Kara

tomandkara
03-03-2008, 09:33 PM
Kara - How long did you bake the brownies?

Half hour at 350, plus a couple minutes.

Kara