Food Talk And Fabulous Finds Recipes, Healthy Cooking, and General Food Topics

Old 03-01-2008, 06:10 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 140/120/118

Height: 5'3

Default Gimmee Lean meat substitute

I was wandering around Whole Foods today and noticed Gimmee Lean products. Looked interesting but I wanted some feedback from all of you before I spent the money.

Anyone here use this product? What is the taste like??
azmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:27 PM   #2  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I tried it and it is pretty good but I only tried it once. I'm not a big fan of fake meat but I think it is one of the better things out there.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:24 PM   #3  
LLV

It's alright. Nothing to write home about. The "ground meat" is okay as a sub in things like spaghetti sauce. But I really disliked the "sausage" flavor. I tried eating it, but had to pitch it out.

I'm not a vegetarian, but still eat a lot of soy and veggie products, mostly for health reasons. I don't eat much red meat. The meat I eat the most of is chicken and fish. But with red meat, I'm always on the lookout for a substitute to reduce fat and calories. I eat a lot of Boca and Morningstar Farms products, that sort of thing. So I wanted to try the Gimme Lean meat crumbles to see if they'd make a good sub and, in my opinion, it all depends on what you're cooking.

Best thing to do is just give it a try to see how you like it. I can take it or leave it (definitely 'leaving' the sausage flavor) but some people really like it.
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:35 PM   #4  

i've only tried the sausage style stuff and I liked it when I made McMuffins with it. I always topped each patty off with a dash of Tabasco to give it some bite..

It sure is messy though. I get the Morning star farms sausage patties at Trader JJoe's and theya re cheaper and less hassle than the Gimme lean ones.. already formed into patties, but theya re a few more calories.
LindaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 01:49 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

One comment I'd make about morningstar is unlike gimme lean, they aren't vegan. Of course not everyone cares about that but...

My trader joe's had an awesome sausage patty that was mostly vegetable ingredients but spiced very nicely. it is yum.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2008, 07:03 PM   #6  
LLV

Quote:
Originally Posted by LindaT View Post
It sure is messy though.
That's another thing that turned me off of the Gimme Lean sausage; it was gooey and sticky and hard to work with. I was like, "ewwwww!"

I too buy the Morningstar Farms sausage patties. Pretty good alone and great to use for a "mock" Sausage McMuffin
LLV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2008, 05:53 PM   #7  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

I have come to the conclusion that I am allergic to the beef one. I bought a tube and made up a bunch of stuffing for bell peppers with it. I then froze the peppers to bring for my lunch. I was starting to get headaches after lunch. It took me a time or two before I realized with it was. Apparently the estrogen levels in it send my body into some sort of overdrive. I know. I know. It's all in my head. (bad attempt at a joke there).

I tried the sausage one. It's OK. I won't bother again.

As far as the Boca and Morningstar brands, I don't like either one of them. I just can't get past the cardboard taste.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote