Exercise! - At home exercises- what are they?

View Full Version : At home exercises- what are they?

LittleMoonRabbit
03-01-2008, 11:28 AM
I am assuming crunches, leg lifts, squats, etc. are considered resistence training, correct? I wouldn't imagine that they would be considered cardio. Are exercises like leg lefts actually building muscle??

nelie
03-01-2008, 11:50 AM
Are you referring to body weight exercises? Yes they are considered strength exercises.

Pushups, squats, lunges, planks, crunches, etc.

If you are interested in learning more body weight exercises, you could google some.

Meg
03-01-2008, 11:57 AM
There's also a large variety of equipment that you can use for resistance training at home, like resistance bands, weighted bars, ankle weights, and dumbbells etc. Nelie has her own kettlebells at home!

An exercise is considered to be muscle building IF you take the muscle to fatigue or exhaustion within 60 - 90 seconds. So long endurance exercises (like cardio) won't build muscle but you certainly can build muscle with bodyweight exercises if they're challenging enough. :)

nelie
03-01-2008, 07:40 PM
Yeah, I didn't even read your thread title :)

There is a lot you can do at home. Resistance bands are cheap, portable and versatile. You can buy dumbbells to do a variety of exercises.

I do use kettlebells at home and they are awesome. They give a great cardio and strength workout.

MissGiggles
03-01-2008, 09:05 PM
My suggestions

free weights/resistance bands
stability ball
mat if needed.
pretty much all you need except for cardio and that depends if you prefer indoor/outdoor.

srmb60
03-01-2008, 09:12 PM
The other day, I found quite a cute site with lots of little cartoons doing body weight exercises. Let me see if I can find the link.

here it is ... http://www.abc-of-fitness.com/traini...iceps-dips.asp

LittleMoonRabbit
03-01-2008, 09:42 PM
thanks so much guys!