Weight and Resistance Training - Lift and Chat: March 1 - 15, 2008

View Full Version : Lift and Chat: March 1 - 15, 2008

Mel
03-01-2008, 07:42 AM
Good morning! :sunny:

I awoke to heavy rain at 5 am, and my heart sank. I think that officially puts the nail in the coffin on ski season here is Pennsylvania. It's sunny out now, and I haven't checked what the temperature was overnight 100 miles north of here, but the robins are chirping and the daffodils are up another inch. This is the first year in many that flipping the calendar into March hasn't made me happy :dizzy:

Off to the gym for me: 2 clients this morning, one is my leg partner. I feel exhausted for no reason at all (hmmm...I get up at 5:20 every morning and work 2 jobs?) but client #1 is always super perky early on Saturdays so maybe she'll enliven me!

Hey Lydia- How is Arnold weekend?

How is everyone doing? Weekend plans?

Mel

Lydia227
03-01-2008, 09:44 AM
Mel: On the other hand I was way too excited to flip my calendar. I guess the Arnold will have to go on without me this year. :rofl: DS2 spiked a fever last night of 102. :yikes: I'll be spending most of this weekend feeding him super hero popcicles.

LG: I can't believe that guy tried to put the blame upon you. :rolleyes: I'm glad you are okay though.

It is a pretty day here today. :sunny: A good day for planning summer activities for DSs. :chin: There may be a workout in the plans for today too.

Have a great weekend! :wave:

Meg
03-01-2008, 10:03 AM
Come ski at Seven Springs, Mel ... it's snowing at this end of the state. And you can have it!! :p

I was in line :brr: when the gym opened at 8:00 and did cardio and nine quick sets of bi's, just for funsies. Two of my old clients (husband and wife) saw me using the Freemotion machine so we had a little impromptu seminar on Freemotion equipment, which was fun. Saturday morning in the weight room is a zoo, though. I'm used to it at 6 am on weekdays with the serious lifters, but this Saturday morning seemed to be a competition for Worst Form and Most Dangerous Technique. :lol:

My plan for the month is to 1. really try to gain some upper body strength and 2. master overhead squats. So I've dropped to low reps with heavy weights and really want to see some progress! Even though my shoulder surgery was two years ago, I'm still not quite back to where I was, strength-wise.

Lydia, I hope DS feels better soon!

baffled111
03-01-2008, 05:12 PM
Morning ladies. It's bright and sunny here today! Very springlike. :)

I completed a chin-up this morning! Chin way above the bar, held it a while and lowered very slowly. Actually, it was easy-peasy and I think I might have cheated. Usually I just hang my legs straight below me but today I pulled them up as I was pulling myself into the chin up. For some reason, that made it much easier. So, 2 questions: how does leg pulling make chin ups easier, and, is that cheating? Have I not really completed a chin up?

Did Stage 3B today for the first time and I feel as frustrated as I did the first time I did 2B. All those odd new exercises. I could NOT get the combo romanian/bb row to feel at all natural. Also, today was YTWL day, and I realized once I started that I had forgotten to photocopy the instructions for 'L'. I had to do YTWs instead. :) It was all very frustrating but I assume it will feel better next time.

Depalma
03-01-2008, 06:28 PM
Baffled,

It sounds like you did a kipping pullup/chinup. It's not really cheating, unless your objective was specifically to do a strict pullup.

This crossfit video explains kipping pullups and the momentum generated (why they are easier)

http://media.crossfit.com/cf-video/CrossFit_Kipping1-Concept.wmv

JerseyGirl69
03-01-2008, 06:36 PM
March came in like a lion!

Why? Well, LWL, friends...I did something today that made me so proud of me. I sprinted at 7.0mph. I was so pleased with myself that THAT's in me! The gym owner was in and came up and was like "how fast are you running? OMG, I can't even do that." The progress lately is amazing. Weight is 281, but if I can do more high intensity intervals like that, I think I can move it a bit.

Day was a good day. Hour of Pilates, 20 minutes cardio, 30 minute upper body workout (heavy lifting, free time with a friendly trainer).

I love today.

WaterRat
03-01-2008, 06:58 PM
Afternoon gals! It's a cold :sunny: day here, though I see some clouds coming our way.... Had a busy morning - did 4 loads of laundry and baked 4 loaves of bread (2 whole wheat w/10 grain cereal in them; 2 white for DH). That should hold me breadwise for a few weeks. They're nestled happily in my freezer. :lol: We've had lunch and are supposed to be off to the gym and the grocery store and a few errands, but the phone rang about 10 mins ago and I can hear DH still talking to whomever .... I'm on for more HIIT cardio. It's going better, as is the length of time I can go on the elliptical without hands - that's a good core exercise!

elisa822
03-01-2008, 07:51 PM
I can't believe it's March!! The weather here was nice today but I don't quite feel like spring is coming yet. I hear there could be some more snow this week (enough already!) and I want to see the crocuses and daffodils starting to peek up!!

I don't know if it's just a weekend thing but boy, I was hungry all day from about 10:00 a.m. on. I don't think it was a horrible food day but it certainly wasn't great. I hope to be better tomorrow. One day I'll even get in some exercise on the weekends too.

I just need to tweak the eating a bit and refocus on the exercise. I've slacked off a bit lately.

JG - Congrats on the sprint!!

baff - I have no idea if that's considered cheating or not but wow! Good for you.

Happy March!

:D

baffled111
03-01-2008, 11:07 PM
I love all crossfit videos. :)

I don't think I was quite kipping. I was moving pretty slowly and I just brought my knees up without doing the back/shoulder jerk. Something in between I guess. At any rate, I was so surprised to have done one that doing a second one didn't even occur to me!

Pat, have you ever taken a vacation on the Olympic Peninsula? We have Spring Break next week and bf and I thought that might be a nice place to go. We like to hike and walk on beaches and experience nature, but we also like to EAT in restaurants (especially cheap & ethnic)! And, I admit, when I leave the boonies, I like to shop for clothes. Any suggestions for where to go?
(We might want to stop in Seattle for a couple of days to take care of our eating/shopping/civilization needs before heading into nature, but if you or anyone knows a beautiful part of the peninsula, I'd love to hear about it. :) )

kaw
03-02-2008, 08:20 AM
Morning, everyone!

Baff -- congrats on the chinup! As for your question about the Olympics (Peninsula), it's been years since I've been there, but as I recall you should hold low expectations for anything except outdoor activities. (Not that this isn't enough!) Lots of places to shop in Seattle, though.

Coincidentally, DH is talking about an Olympics / Seattle / Oregon Coast trip next August. He and TB just got back from a trip to Seattle, and I think he's finally ready to admit that hanging out at his mom's in the Seattle burbs for 10 days is, well, boring. (Yeah, there's a lot to do in Seattle proper, but traffic is such a nightmare that any trip downtown involves at least 2 hours of "commute" time.)

Mel -- c'mon up to my neck of the woods. All that rain in your area is glorious powder around here. We can't see bare ground yet, let alone daffodils.

Not much else to report. Spent yesterday making Roman shades for the dining room. It was supposed to be a fall project, partly to help insulate the house, but of course I'm just getting around to it in time for spring.

Oh, and I pulled (deadlifted) 205 at the gym on Thursday, a new PR for me. The PRs are coming fast and furious ... probably because my calories have been up!

Be strong,
Kim

nelie
03-02-2008, 10:56 AM
Ok so last night I finished reading most of NRLW...

Now I have to figure out what should I do.... Should I join the gym, try to get mornings at the gym and do it? (Evenings at the gym would probably be a bit too much for me)

Should I buy a cage, barbell and I think that is all I'd really need although something with pulleys would be nice to do some of the other exercises. I'm really ok with everything except the lat pull down and the variation for it.

Although I can't quite tell where all the pulleys are on this (upper and lower pulleys?), This looks decent
http://www.bigfitness.com/napoca.html

Although I'd need to look around a bit more

4rabbit
03-02-2008, 12:03 PM
hi LWL,

Nelie, I do the NRWL exercises at home. I have substituted the pulley exercises:
Fot the seated row I do a bent over row with the BB.

For the Lat pulldown I do the following which I read some time ago on another site:
I suspended a broomstick on a rope from the open staircase, to about 40 cms above the floor. I lie on my back on the floor below the staircase, then I grab the broomstick and pull myself off the floor with only my feet on the floor and my body rigid. It is very hard to do. I cannot do all the reps, so after I finish with the 7 reps I can do at this time I let my hips stay on the floor and only pull my upper body up for the rest of the reps. This is surprisingly hard, works about the same muscles (if I judge correctly) and you can also do this with a chin up bar in the doorway that you put at a low position.

I say nelie, Do join us with NRWL! It is great fun and I personally am much inspired to hear from all the others. I am still in stage 1, but I find that I am doing things that I never thought I could do. My weight is going up but I have the vague idea that my jeans are maybe a tiny bit looser.

It is incredible for me to imagine but at age 48, I, moi, a divorced mother of 2 teenagers, could I be making actual MUSCLE ???

This weekend it was 16 years ago that I married. It was a it of a strange weekend for me, but I think that things are a lot better for me now than in the last years of my marriage. I have experienced in the past period that I have a lot of friends. At the time my XH left, I had assumed I would loose our common friends. Much to my surprise, this turned out not to be the case AND I gathered new friends as well. The past years have been very good for my self esteem, and I think the board at 3FC has helped me a lot with this. So thanks a lot ladies !

I'll keep you guys posted,
Have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

sportsfreak
03-02-2008, 01:10 PM
hey everyone, its been a while since i last checked in.

Well right now everythings great although i have had to face a bunch of temptation, left right and center. So many events and such. I try to eat before hand but unfortunaly because i am only 16 people think there is something wrong with me and i am being disrespectful. Thats the way it goes. So i kind of have to indulgue to keep a good imiage to my name. i dont think that is fair but i dont want to be known as an impolite person. I want to start NRWL soon, my mom and i are going to the gym next week to see if we can get me a membership,:carrot:.

For those of you who have been doing NRWL, hows your progress going, you guys seeing the difference?

I just really hate cardio, and i know that i have to do some 2-3 times a week, but i am sick an tired of my treadmill. I hope maybe the spin bikes or steppers at the gym may be more interesting. I do like playing squash though.

I may try to get a membership which has sqash courts with in them, this way i can do that instead of a treadmill or other boring equiptment.

I have my G2 test schedualed for next sat at 4pm. If i pass this test i can drive around myself without an adult. Yes- freedom:goodvibes:sunny:. Hopefully i pass the first time.

Basically now that i am the weight i want to be-105. Im looking to build alot of muscle and shave off the fat to lower my bf % and make me look like a have an athletic muscular build. i would not mind me being 110-115 with a 16% bf and the rest is muscle. Right now since i am confined with in my home with dumbells up to 10 lbs i cannot progress enough to build new muscle. I am just trying to maintain it so i can hit the gym- when i get a membership with the muscle i do have.

Lifeguard
03-02-2008, 01:22 PM
Good luck sportsfreak - the G2 test was pretty easy when I did it. I'm sure you'll do fine!

midwife
03-02-2008, 04:09 PM
Hi guys!

I'll try a quick fly-by post while I wait for some babies to be ready to come out!

I am so ready for summer! Yesterday it was 70 degrees here and I even got a little sunburn---gotta restock the sunscreen! I had a full day between track meets and soccer games and I had another session at the gym. I can feel the weights while I do them---they are heavy and I am putting in effort---but it is also doable---but then later I really feel the effects. It is very fun! I am sore, but it is good!

Lifeguard, I just wanted to chime in. It is hard to be pregnant sometimes---good, wonderful, and also hard. Your body is changing and it is difficult to know how hard to push yourself. I second the motion of swimming. I also strongly recommend prenatal yoga. Listen to your body. :-)

Sorry your kiddo is sick, Lydia. We had a brief fling with pink eye at our house this week.

Congrats on the chin up, Baffled!

I'm glad things are going well for you, Rabbit. I really think there is a lot of growth we go through as we learn to embrace our physical sides.

Hi sportsfreak,

I'm gonna give you a little unsolicited advice. I want you to learn NOW what it took me years to learn. It is ok to have respect for other people, BUT the bottom line is that YOU know what is best for you. Do not put aside or suppress your desires, goals or plans for other people. Do what you know it right for yourself. If other people have a problem with it, they will get over it. Own your future! You can do it kindly, but do not do something you know is not the best for you just cause someone else expects it. That goes for a lot of things in life beyond event foods. Forget the image. Be good to yourself.

Hello to everyone else!!

Have a good one!

WaterRat
03-02-2008, 07:39 PM
Ah, Baff, I echo what Kaw said. There's lots of outdoors stuff on the Olympic Peninsula, but unless you stay around Port Townsend or at least at the very north (Sequim, Port Angeles) you'll find restuarants, etc. to be few and far between. You could, I think, stay in one of those places (PT for sure) and do day hikes, and PT has a nice park- Fort Worden - which is on the beach, and has lots of hiking and poking around in old military buildings to be done. You can even stay there in one of the officer's homes that they rent. It's a fun little touristy place, with lots of Victorian homes and B&B's. Depends on what kind of vaction you're after. We spent quite a bit of time over there when DH was in Seattle for his cancer treatment. He was in no shape to do anything physical though, so I'm a little weak in my knowledge. We did drive down the western side of the peninsula, and found civilization a little sparse until way far south. :)

It's a gorgeous :sunny: day here, and warm (for us). DH has gone out to hike (on the roads, all the trails are too icy) with his boots and pack. Me, I'm supposed to be doing taxes, but had to take time to visit here! :)

Depalma
03-02-2008, 07:56 PM
Nelie,

The pulleys on that unit are both high and low. However, it is not included in the base price of the unit ($599), it is the $319 upgrade.

I was going to recommend the Powertec unit that comes complete with the high/low pulleys AND also has pullup bars and dip bars included.

http://www.bigfitness.com/poporawla.html

However, it looks like it is out of stock right now. I actually looked at a few more sites and it is out of stock there as well. I know several people who have a powertec and they are very happy with. Judging by it being sold out in multiple places, it looks like a very popular unit.

nelie
03-02-2008, 08:17 PM
Depalma,

I just posted about one I saw at Dick's for $799. You have any thoughts pros/cons on that?

Mel
03-02-2008, 08:41 PM
nelie- i replied.

I have been MIA because I spend the day skiing. There was 5 inches of new snow and it was glorious! Very cold in the morning, but nice and toasty in the middle of the day. What wasn't glorious was my planning- I did a heavy leg workout yesterday. My leg partner and I have been doing more one legged and plyometric exercises for the last few months instead of old school "pile on the weight". We decided it was time to switch training modalities so my heavy set up squats was at 225. That's waaay of my PR, but a lot more than I've done in a long time. Skiing on already trashed legs was tough.

I know none of you ski or are particularly interested in my frosty sliding, but to me this is on HUGE payoff of having lost weight and gotten strong. It was something I'd given up completely and never thought I'd be able to do again. Today I was flying down the black diamond and double black diamond trails, and when I got the the bottom of the lift, was amazed that not only was I virtually the only female on that part of the mountain, but the only person over about 30 years old other than a few ski patrol geezers :lol3:. Yay for muscles!!!!! :D

Time to drag my tired butt upstairs if I can....

Mel

trailgroomer
03-02-2008, 08:50 PM
Baff - congratulations on the pull up as well - I like the videos too.
re Olympic Peninsula - it's for outdoor time - hiking, photography, hot springs were nice, but really no shopping. Seattle, on the other hand, may be the better choice with its great museums, walking tours, and shopping. Have you been to the San Juan Islands?

Hey, Mel - I ski and it sounds great to me! I got about 4 inches of snow as well and went snowshoeing locally. It was too icy for cross country skiing and I didn't plan ahead to drive to any slopes. Well, enjoy the March snow!

baffled111
03-02-2008, 09:54 PM
Thanks everyone for the suggestions. The trouble with living in the boonies is that all trips to Seattle or Portland become insane shopping & ethnic food-eating binges. I don't mind to do that sort of thing, but it does rather make me feel a tad uncultured and materialistic. But, if we went to the OP, we could stop in Seattle first, binge on sushi and shopping, and then head out into nature. I didn't know there were hot springs in the OP though. That is excellent to know! I haven't been to the San Juan Islands. What are those exactly?

(Since bf will be leaving for NY in August, this spring and summer are our last opportunity to do stuff in WA together. I'll almost certainly be leaving WA the following August. There are only limited opportunities for holidays for us, so it's important to make the right choices, particularly with the end of our time in WA in view :) )

Thanks again for all the thoughts.

WaterRat
03-02-2008, 11:07 PM
Baff, San Juan Islands are off the northwest coast of Washington. You drive to Anacortes and take a ferry. They're lovely, and quiet. We have friends who live in the Gulf Islands, which are actually a continuation of the San Juans only over the Canadian border. I'd say a little research is in order for the kinds of things you want to do. There's lots of large parks with undeveloped areas in the Seattle area. I don't know if you want actual hiking trails, or just walking, but there's a trail that goes for miles, which is the something-Gilman trail. I think parts of it are "rails to trails" but its very nice.

Mel
03-03-2008, 07:26 AM
I looked into bicycling in the San Juans a few years ago. There are a couple of companies that organize trips from Relatively luxurious to spartan. The luxury end has a sag wagon carrying all your gear and dropping it at lovely hotels (or you if you can't bike that day. The spartan ones are camping trips.

A couple of years ago my son did a sea kyaking trip there and still raves about it.

Sore today- skipped cardio this morning but will lift at lunch!

Have a good one,
Mel

kaw
03-03-2008, 09:03 AM
Baff -- My parents live on the Gulf Islands. It's absolutely beautiful there: great opportunities for sea kayaking, hiking, bicycling, etc, from the comfort of a B&B if that's your thing, or from a tent. The Gulf Islands tend to have drier weather than the San Juans and especially than the Olympic Peninsula, because the GI are in the rain shadow of Vancouver Island. (This is not to say it doesn't rain in the Gulf Islands, but it doesn't rain as much.)

One of the other pluses of the Gulf Islands is that you can get to Vancouver via a commercial float plane service -- Harbour Air or Salt Spring Air spring to mind. The flight is itself is gorgeous and the pilot will drop you off on the harbor in downtown Vancouver, if you want to do the city thing. Of course, not many US residents go to Canada to shop, given the exchange rate & taxes.

Mel -- I ski! Or at least, I used to, pre-kid. Was pretty good, if I may say so myself ... until I started on the volunteer ski patrol. My desire to push the limits pretty much fled the first time I saw someone's bone sticking out of his pant leg after a jump went awry.

Boy, I seem to be off-topic chatty today. Could it be that I'm not looking forward to my morning's work? :)

Kim

mjoste
03-03-2008, 03:50 PM
HI LADIES!!!!

I'm not sure if you remember me or not (don't worry, I'm not back to interrupt your group;)), but I just wanted to stop through and say "HI" and to thank you all for the support I got here about 6 months ago.

I think I remember that Lydia and Elisa were both fellow hypothyroids? Maybe I'm not remembering correctly. Regardless, I especially wanted to tell you two that you definitely made a difference to me as you happened to reach out during a time I really needed your motivation! :hug:

It's great to see Mel, Pat and Rabbit here still too! :) Ya'all were a lot of fun and very welcoming too.

Ok, well that's all. I had pmd Lydia awhile back but wanted to let you all know I appreciate you very much.

Happy days, MO :carrot:

sportsfreak
03-03-2008, 04:15 PM
hey everyone

I have been having a very serious problem latley. Starting a month ago my hair staring falling out-more than normal from the roots. It got to the point where is dread washing my hair. Even if i run my fingers through it, many will come out. I have a feeling this is due to the 20 lbs weight loss i has a month before. Took me 3-4 months to loose that and i did it through proper diet and exercice. I ate about 1300-1400 calories a day (i am 5 foot 2 and i now weigh 105) I'm getting worried what it may be.

Will my hair ever come back. Have any of you guys experienced the same thing. I'm going to the doc this thursday to see. Hope i dont have to start picking out wigs at the age of 16 :(

nelie
03-03-2008, 04:55 PM
How has your fat intake been doing? I've heard that hair loss can happen when you don't eat much fat.

sportsfreak
03-03-2008, 05:03 PM
i eat a hand full of nuts each day, have some avacado and cook everything with olive oil if needed. But im not going overboad of fats. I eat enough. I have been making sure that i am eating everything in balance, heck i have even put on 5 pounds to see if that would help.

WaterRat
03-03-2008, 06:06 PM
Just a thought, because I have a stepsister with alopecia... Do you have a lot of allergies? That's what the docs put hers down to. Don't mean to frighten you though. :) Her hair fell out 3 times in her teens and early 20's, and didn't grow back after the 3rd time. Hopefully, it's something treatable for you. :hug:

sportsfreak
03-03-2008, 06:23 PM
no i have no allergies of any sort

elisa822
03-03-2008, 07:40 PM
sportsfreak - sorry that I can't be of more help. Sounds like you've tried to cover the basics by ensuring that you're eating a healthy well rounded diet. I have to say that I would recommend a trip to the doctor (just what you wanted to hear right? ;) ) I think that there are some common causes and hopefully a blood test would highlight what the problem is. Good luck.

Mo - there are lots of us hypothyroid people floating around on these boards and your memory is great because I am one of them. You're definitely not "interrupting" anything so please fill us in...have things improved for you? Are you feeling any better? Stop by anytime for a visit! ;)

I'm not proud of myself...I did not get to the gym today and I promised that this would be a good week. I'm not writing it off yet but skipping the gym can be a slippery slope, just like bad eating. I really had a lot of work to do today and I could have argued either side for going or not going but I choose not going. :( I will be accountable here for the rest of my week. I still plan to go to yoga, power, a 5k and a NRFL workout. I will let you know how I do!

nelie
03-03-2008, 08:29 PM
I had alopecia when I was in high school. I believe it was stress induced. It actually did go away but it was very frustrating for the years that I had to deal with it.

Do you have bald spots or does your hair seem to be thinning? Do you take a multivitamin?

sportsfreak
03-03-2008, 08:49 PM
my hair seems to be thinning. It comming out stright from the roots. I do take a multivitamin.

nelie
03-03-2008, 09:57 PM
sportsfreak - I don't know, it may be one of things to wait and see or you could go to your doc. Usually weight loss along with hair loss means either you are missing some vitamins or more likely, your diet is too low in fat. It doesn't seem to be the case though.

Today I decided to do the first NRLW workout, 1a. I actually used kettlebells as part of it. I do have to say I suck at the prone jackknife. I think my core really needs to be strengthened because I was having trouble staying on the ball. Also, I decided to do a few squats with a broomhandle in preparation of doing squats with a barbell. Can I say I suck at that? I do. The first squat wasn't really a squat. I guess my arms up changes the dimension of my squat somehow. Also, I don't have good shoulder flexibility so I can't keep my arms near my head if I want the barbell (broom handle) in a good spot. My hands have to go further out than the picture.

DH and I are looking at squat racks and we will probably go hunting this weekend at our local home gym stores. I do like the Protec one, at least from reviews and pictures. I'd like to see if any store actually has it.

lalala123
03-04-2008, 05:45 AM
Sportsfreak: Have you been through a lot of stress/illness in the last 3 - 6 months or so? Stress and illness related hair loss usually happens after some months.

Mel
03-04-2008, 07:28 AM
Sportsfreak- I had hair loss when I was hyperthyroid (along with muscle and bone loss) and after pregnancy. Since the latter is not your problem, and your diet looks healthy although low cal for a teen, you need to go see your doc. We can all tell you anecdotes, but you really need a doctor's diagnosis. Make sure he/she runs a full blood panel on you including thyroid tests. Let us know how it goes. For some reason, hair loss seems really scary for women! I was scared to wash or brush my hair, too.

Good day here yesterday. Good lift, good food, and I found some great deals on sale at a new Ann Taylor factory outlet store! I'm sooooo glad I didn't buy one of the suits I saw at full price 2 months ago in the regular store!

kaw- I know what you mean about the bones :p In order to escape PE (lol) in college, I rode on the local ambulance crew and was on the ski patrol. I went to school in Vermont and mostly we had nasty ski accidents and even nastier farm accidents. Double :p:p. The only time I nearly passed out thou was when my own son had a two inch gash on his head. Very different when it's your own kid.

Hi mo! :wave: glad you are doing better! stop by more frequently!

Mel

Lifeguard
03-04-2008, 11:08 AM
Nelie - I squatted with just the broomstick for weeks & weeks trying to get my squat form right. It was embarassing & frustrating but I finally got it & got to graduate to the real bar. It really wasn't a weight thing as a form thing. Keep at it - it'll come.

nelie
03-04-2008, 01:28 PM
LG - I was just so amazed that a squat with something on your back is so much different than a squat with something in your hands in front of you or at your sides.

I'm a bit sore today which is good although other than the jackknife exercise, the workout seemed pretty easy. My abs and sides are sore from the jackknife exercise.

I can't wait to do the 1B workout though. I actually plan to do 1A/1B in an extended fashion until I get the right equipment at home. It may take a few weeks though between shopping for it and then having it delivered and put together. We'll also have to move/get rid of a sofa we have in the basement to make room for what I want.

4rabbit
03-04-2008, 02:57 PM
Hi LWL,

Sportsfreak - how are you doing? Did you see the doctor yet ? We are all curious to know what is up with you !

Mo - hi! It 's good to have you back, how are you doing ?

Nelie ! How great that you started out at NRWL! I actually find the bb squat easier than with db. I get sore arms from heavvy db, and I find having the load on my neck with the bb much easier.

I did my 6th workout 1a yesterday, and graduated again to 22 kg now. That is a LOT for me.I'll do the 6th 1b tomorrow, and i am looking forward to see if i will manage with the increased weight again. It is very strange to keep increasing the weight so much because you do less and less reps.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

sportsfreak
03-04-2008, 03:46 PM
hey everyone,

thanks for all of your responses. Well i schedualed an appointment 3 weeks back and its this comming thursday. My doctor gets soo busy these days i have to wait for ever to see him.

I make sure to let you all know what up with my hair as soon as i find out.

Also Mel- you said my diet was good but it was low calorie. I just want to maintain and build muscle mass. What do you think i should raise them p two. Im all for wanting to eat more :).

baffled111
03-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Hi all,

Rabbit, I'm with you: bb squats are way easier. Right now I'm doing stage 3 and there's a one-arm overhead squat where you hold one heavy db between your legs, and hold another, lighter db above your head while you squat. The larger db is very awkward!

Sportsfreak, you are maintaining on 1300-1400 calories and you're active and you're in high school? Something is wrong there. You're a little thing but those calories seem very low to me. I maintain at over 2200 and I'm old (but also tall...). Perhaps you could start adding the calories back into your diet slowly, like 100/day per week? I ran your numbers through several calorie calculators and they all had you between 1900 and 2000!

I did a proper, non-cheating chin-up today, with my legs just hanging straight. I tried to do a second one, but, um, I couldn't make it all the way up. I'm making progress though! This is progress!

Mel, Meg, Kim, experts. I have a question that is probably slightly stupid, but I'm going to ask it anyway. Is there something about 'cutting' that makes it different from restricting calories? I'm happy with this NRLW program and I want to make strength gains and all, but right now I'd very much like to lose a bit of body fat and take a look at my muscles to evaluate where I am. Also, I'm sick of my arms not being defined enough. So, basically, I want to lose fat without compromising my muscle or my strength with the NRLW program. My instinct is, obviously, to drop my calories for a couple of weeks and to do my best to do so without losing protein, but the NRLW authors are so adamant about cutting calories being counter-productive for strength gains that it makes me confused about everything I know. I probably should be focusing on my ticker weight and stuff, but right now my number 1 concern is aesthetics. The ticker weight should follow from the aesthetics. Advice?

Btw, One-Armed DB Snatches are the funnest exercise ever.

Meg
03-04-2008, 05:49 PM
Baff, I'm by no means a cutting expert and I've never trained a competitor, but here's my take. "Cutting" means stripping off max BF without compromising muscle. It's usually done with a combination of restricted calories AND ultra-squeaky-clean eating AND low carbs AND a buttload of cardio (and sometimes supps, legal and illegal, but we won't go there), as well as lifting. Right before a comp, there would also be sodium depletion, carb loading, and other tricks.

I got my BF down to 12.5% (measured with nine-site calipers by our head of trainers) for a gym contest by eating 1000 calories of chicken breast, salad with vinegar, and protein shakes a day, coupled with 90 minutes of cardio every day (split into two daily sessions), and my usual lifting. I wouldn't recommend it! It wasn't very sustainable, but was sure fun while it lasted. :D

My own experiences with calories and calorie restriction runs counter to NRLW but I'm a bit of a freak since I'm trying to maintain a 122 pound weight loss and the program is designed for "normal" people. I can't eat close to the calories that they recommend and maintain my weight -- it is what it is. Perhaps the nutrition program would work for you as written, perhaps not. Personally, I don't lose fat unless I drop calories to a level that would give those guys heart failure, yet I'm pretty strong for a 53-year old woman and am happy with my muscle mass. So :?:

If you're leery about dropping calories too low, I think your only other choice is to increase your cardio. If you're doing a half hour of HIIT per day, tack on 30 - 45 minutes of steady state cardio, preferably in a second session. Make sure your food choices are clean as can be and try to avoid starchy carbs -- get most of your carbs from veggies.

Hopefully Kim,Mel, and the others can give you some better ideas -- I know that Mel has far more experience with competitors and cutting than I do. :)

mjoste
03-04-2008, 06:36 PM
Elisa: Hey sweetie! Good, @ least I know that my memory isn't lacking as I push closer and closer to 40. :D I'm ok. They finally switched me to the naturally derived thyroid med and then after playing around w/my dosage I'm finally @ .86 TSH!!! :carrot: So, life in that aspect rocks. I'm doing 60mg one day and the next day 90mg and back and forth. Takes a little mental concentration @ 0500 when I wake up to figure out what day it is...but it works LOL

Sportsfreak: I apologize 'cause I haven't been reading all the posts intently....but I know before my thyroid condition was diagnosed, I was losing clumps of hair and still lost a lot of hair up until just about 3 weeks ago. I think both hypo and hypers lose hair. Have you been tested to see if your body has moved into a hyper range with the dieting, etc.? Just a thought. I sooo agree w/Nelie on the stress/hair loss connection too, though. Good luck with that muffin! :hug:

Mel: Thanks! I think I will drop through more often if you don't mind! I'm shooting for my "coming out of retirement" show in October. Of course, that only gives me 7 months to do hard-core training to get back on stage...but I think I can do it. My upper body is still pretty big and my abs are always easy for me to shred in. HOWEVER, my legs and glutes...well, not so much. I'm a little worried about that. I have time to decide. I just feel so far out of practice after being off the lifting scene for soooo long. It's a bit scary. I believe in muscle memory and all that jazz....but the past few times in the gym...yeah, pretty disappointing work outs. :( Anyway, I know....blah blah blah...Melinda shut your piehole time right? I know, I do babble. But my point is....I will really be searching for support as I move closer to 10/11/08 and I owe you ladies so much in return for all you did for me last time I was here! :hug:

Rabbit: Hiya sweetie! Thanks for the welcome back! Means more than you know! ;-)

Who was talking about the Arnold a few days back? Lydia? My friend Jody just came back from it and was actually invited to compete, but things in life prevented her from being able to...but next year I believe she will! Kind of cool, in my opinion.

OH! OMGosh, Nelie- I just paid attention to your ticker. That's a BUNCH of weight lost! Amazing, fabulous! Just terrific! I don't remember where you were last time around....but it seems like you've lost like 50 more pounds or something.

Ok, I go on for way too long! :) xoxo MO

nelie
03-04-2008, 06:47 PM
Baffled - Congrats on the chin up :) I've been doing snatches with my kettlebell but have yet to try one with a dumbbell.

Melinda - Thanks. In the last year, I've lost 60 lbs or so although it feels like less somehow.

One thing I've noticed is I can actually see my triceps in the mirror. Oh my god, I have triceps. My arm development seems to be coming along nicely, I think it is due to the kettlebells.

Meg
03-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Melinda! I alternate doses of thyroid med too and the only way I can keep the days straight is by taking the odd number dose (.175) on odd number days and the even number dose (.200) on even number days. If you have a better system, please share! :)

mjoste
03-04-2008, 07:05 PM
Well Nelie, kudos babe because you are rockin'!

Meg: Seriously? You too? LOL I thought my body was really screwy! I also do the odd/even day thing because that's what my dr. suggested...but sometimes I have a hard time remembering where I'm at let alone the day or date! :D Then of course you hit the 31st/1st deal. LOL

Ok all, have a fabulous night. I have to run off and check emails before I crash...today was insane and I feel like a semi hit me full speed.

;) MO

sportsfreak
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
Meg- i would love to get my body fat into the 15% range. how did you go about doing it.

Baf- i'm not maintaing on 1300-1400 calories, right now i have just stopped my weight loss and im confused what to do next. I'm going to take your advice and bump them up may 100 a week and see where that takes me. Thanks for your input.

Yes and i am a very active teenage girl, i play ice hockey, badminton, squash and weight train with 15 min of cardio in there. I dont do cardio on its own because i have soo many other activties that get my hr up

JerseyGirl69
03-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Jumping in to say hi, LWL.

Well, if you read my blog, you know that the Challenge is all about lost bodyfat. I've been hovering at around 45-46%, 47% on my gym's machine (calipers say 35%, but that's because I'm so muscular). (I'll add, I started this journey at 320 and 53% bf last summer).

Anyway, I watch that more than I watch the pounds.

Tonight I had a surprise. 42% bodyfat.

42%

If that sticks, that would mean a 4% bodyfat reduction that would help me get in the lead to win. Please please please....

I say "sticks" because the body is in constant flux.

But if it's accurate, I'm both tickled and confused. Tickled because it almost means that at maybe 200-220 I'll be in a acceptable bodyfat of 30%. Confused because will I be "a stick" at 160?

I know, I'm awfully muscular (155lbs of lean body weight) and that's in my favor and why weight loss is slow, as well as why calipers are hard to gauge my bodyfat. (I've been wondering if my lean body weight will go down at all because, otherwise I'll always be a bit big.

Anyway, just wanted to share. Any of you who watch your bodyfat will understand that this number is a shock given my actual weight (281).

Also...interesting stuff from training with another trainer for a day (who loved working with me), I'm stronger than even her on some things.

I feel like a circus freak, LOL. But I accept who I am--if God made me strong, I am as He desired.

baffled111
03-04-2008, 09:14 PM
Argh. My reply just vanished into the ether!

Meg, what you are describing sounds very scary, so perhaps 'cutting' is not what I mean. But I would like to shed some body fat without losing muscle. I have the least defined arms of anyone on the planet and it's annoying. I carry extra flab on my arms and legs and I'd like to at least get rid of enough of it that you can TELL that I lift weights just by looking at my arms. (Oddly, you can tell that I lift weights by looking at my abs, and I barely even work those. It's an unfair body fat distribution thing. No one even sees my stupid stomach; in summer, everyone sees my arms. I want good tank top arms by summer!!!)

But, perhaps you're right. Lowering my cals a bit, cleaning them up a bit and increasing my cardio would probably do the trick. (Btw, you've exposed me as a cardio slacker. All I do is run 2-3 miles with my dog 2-3 times per week, and do 15 mins of HIIT after my weights 2-3 times per week as prescribed by NRLW. I'm a cardio slacker and it is an obvious place to start the fat loss. I really, really, REALLY wish I had a treadmill for the house. It would be so easy to do an extra 15 or 30 mins of HIIT each day if I didn't have to go to the gym...Grumble, grumble. :) )

sharonrr1
03-04-2008, 09:28 PM
I do have to say I suck at the prone jackknife. I think my core really needs to be strengthened because I was having trouble staying on the ball.

Thank you Nelie for saying that. I thought I was the only one on the planet that couldn't stay on that ball. I do the reverse crunches instead.

Yes I'm alive and well just haven't been posting much lately. I am in another one of my reading everything I can get my hands on mode.

Has anyone tried doing HIIT with weights?
For example: 30 - 60 seconds of snatches followed by walking on a treadmill or elliptical or bike.

nelie
03-04-2008, 10:00 PM
Jersey - From what I've read, body fat for those of us that have been morbidly obese is not something easily gauged and we really need to get down to overweight/obese before it can be. I started out at 49% bf at 350 and various bf measurements put me in the upper 20s/low 30s right now. You gotta remember that when you lose weight, you lose fat, water, tissue and some muscle. When you lose weight, your body will shed some 'lean body mass' that it no longer needs to support your smaller body. It is really one of those things to 'wait and see'.

Sharon - I'm glad I'm not the only one :) I haven't tried HIIT with weights but that sounds like a good idea, especially with my kettlebells which really get my heart rate going BUT it is hard to maintain that rate.

Depalma
03-04-2008, 10:51 PM
If you're leery about dropping calories too low, I think your only other choice is to increase your cardio. If you're doing a half hour of HIIT per day, tack on 30 - 45 minutes of steady state cardio, preferably in a second session. Make sure your food choices are clean as can be and try to avoid starchy carbs -- get most of your carbs from veggies.

I've heard Alwyn Cosgrove describe a protocol that he learned from Lyle McDonald. While he usually prescribes it as a stubborn fat protocol (as he doesn't normally recommend steady state cardio for fat loss), you might want to give it a shot. What is directed is that you do about 15 minutes of extemely intense Interval training, then you completely rest for 5 minutes. This will get triglycerides flooding into your bloodstream. Then you do about 30 minutes of moderate intensity steady state cardio.

baffled111
03-05-2008, 12:33 AM
I've heard Alwyn Cosgrove describe a protocol that he learned from Lyle McDonald. While he usually prescribes it as a stubborn fat protocol (as he doesn't normally recommend steady state cardio for fat loss), you might want to give it a shot. What is directed is that you do about 15 minutes of extemely intense Interval training, then you completely rest for 5 minutes. This will get triglycerides flooding into your bloodstream. Then you do about 30 minutes of moderate intensity steady state cardio.

That might actually work for me, Depalma, thanks. The trouble is that I have to exercise the dog on MWF mornings, so if I want to do more than run 3 miles, I need to go to the gym after work--which I will very rarely do if I've run in the am. But I could go to the gym, do 15 mins of intervals, walk home, grab the dog and go running with her. (But it does seem as though there are an awful lot of opportunities for me to slack off in there...). I keep trying to compel myself to do ss cardio after weights and HIIT, but I'm just too exhausted at that point.

Lifeguard
03-05-2008, 03:13 AM
Baffled - I think Depalma's suggestion is a good one. Also, I found when I started lifting after about 6-8 weeks I really started to shed bodyfat - once I had started to build up enough new muscle to get the metabolism going a bit better.

I have done HIIT with weights. I find it kind of a fun way of doing it. A couple suggestions of how I've done it: alternating lifting exercises (snatches, OH presses, squats, lunges, etc.) with a stationary cardio exercise (jumping jacks, butt kickers, star jumps, etc.) or alternating lifting exercises with a simple body movement exercise like turkish get-ups.

I went to the gym today. First time in almost a week. I think I have finally pinpointed my lose of motivation. When I worked at the pool I would guard the noon-1:30 swim everyday. Every day the same people would swim in the same spots for the same amount of time & same # of lengths. Their exercise never altered in the least. Most were seniors - but I remember one woman in her 40's who was constantly in the quest to lose some weight who followed this same strategy. I literally mean for years she did the same swim workout. It drove me nutty!!! It seemed so pointless to not try to improve or change in some way. That is where I feel I am with my workouts with the whole pregnancy thing. I know in the end the reason for doing it is valid & important - but it's so far off it is hard to focus on it. I have decided to make it mandatory to get to the gym 3 times a week (instead of the almost every day I was striving for before) & then add as much light cardio the rest of the week as my energy levels will allow.

Mel
03-05-2008, 07:38 AM
I'm doing cardio that way despite Lyle McDonald. Personally, some of his nutrition advice strikes me as so bizarre (and I tried it) that I don't take a lot of what he says seriously.

BUT....the cardio that way seems to work if you can force yourself to actually STOP for 5 minutes. Find a place to drip other than a leather sofa, tho!

Most competitors do double cardio sessions to get down to really low body fat, but NOT HIIT. It's to catabolic. Personally, I've never gone below 14.5%, but I've taken several figure competitors down to the 8-9% level (for two days :lol:)

Mel

elisa822
03-05-2008, 07:48 AM
Wow...so double cardio sessions are really the way to go if I want to see a significant change?! Yeesh...just can't realistically see that happening for me.

Like baff, I've got some stubborn fat spots on my body and I'd love to see a change but I also don't really have room to drop the calories any lower. I, too, already differ greatly from the calorie suggestions proposed in the NROL. I think you have to know you're own body. I imagine that some "cleaner" eating could help. ;)

I've heard a lot of talk about HIIT and I think I need to give it a try or at least fluctuate between that and my usual steady state 5k runs. I remember the suggestion made in NROL, that depalma mentioned, about doing some HIIT followed by a short break and then the steady state cardio having some positive effects. So much to learn!

Meg/Mo - so I'm not the only one who forgets to take the right dosage of my synthroid?! As I've lost weight my dosage has gone way down over the years and my endocronologist is so specific that I actually take one dosage all week and a half a pill on Sundays! If I remember! ;)

Here's a question for the experts: How far down do you have to get before you can actually call it a pushup?! No really...I have never been able to do big girl pushups but I've been feeling a bit stronger and I think the yoga has really helped. Yesterday I tried them and managed five actual pushups but I couldn't get down too low. Is it still a pushup or should I go back to the knees so I can get down lower?

Lovely weather here by the way. ;) yes, that was sarcastic.

sharonrr1
03-05-2008, 12:27 PM
http://www.t-nation.com/article/performance_training/the_hiit_revolution_for_fat_burning_success&cr=

The above is an article I came across in my reading. I know it is a different web site. It is after all geared toward men. But it has some great articles on weight training. The article is about HIIT with weights.

I'm trying the swings and snatches for 20 minutes every other day. I'll see how that effects my body fat %.

midwife
03-05-2008, 12:33 PM
Hi guys,

I am SORE! On Monday I did leg presses and the guy who was training me said that the "sled" (??I think that's what he called it) was 100 pounds. I felt like I was getting ready to launch into space in the little chair thing and then I pressed up with my legs....I hope you guys know what I am talking about. Then I felt like a little insect watching a shoe coming down to squash me, and I pretty much thought my legs would never make it through the reps and sets. But I did. And then yesterday I was so sore I could hardly walk. I've been following the nutrition plan religiously (even when I was sorting 12 cases of Girl Scout cookies---not a crumb of one passed my lips). I'm sure it will get better. I hopped on the elliptical last night for 15 minutes of slow and easy just to see if it would help the soreness, but I don't think that it did. My joints are fine, it is just my quads are totally tender. They are better today though....I can touch them without wincing.

I'm keeping the faith and keeping the plan.

Have a good one!

Meg
03-05-2008, 01:00 PM
Yay, Midwife! :carrot: Yep, it's a sled. The one at our gym is 65#, so you must have been leg pressing a MONSTER! As for the muscle soreness, it's always worst when you try a new exercise. Don't worry, it will never be this bad again (until you try something new!) But don't you kinda like it?? ;)

Sharon, I love T-Mag! They have the best articles (just have to ignore all the guy stuff). I'm signed up to get their email update every Friday night and it's always fun to read over the weekend. :D

nelie
03-05-2008, 01:08 PM
Sharon - I know I talk about them a lot but if you like snatches and swings, I'd highly recommend looking into getting a kettlebell. :) You can do things like one handed swings, snatches, cleans, etc. I'm extremely impressed with my arm strength and development due to the kettlebells.

midwife - awesome job, good luck with the soreness, I know it sucks at first.

Lifeguard
03-05-2008, 01:44 PM
For those who like T-Mag have you checked out Muscle with Attitude - the sister site. It's for women specifically & they usually have some pretty good articles & I love the motivational quote they have each week.

Here is an article about fat loss I think is fairly on topic: http://www.musclewithattitude.com/readArticle.do?id=1881918

Mel
03-05-2008, 07:55 PM
Elissa- double cardio is really saved for getting under 14 % for most competitors. CLEAN EATING, heavy lifting and reasonable cardio will really make the difference for those of use who want some definition but not those unsustainable body fat numbers. No one stays at those single digits for longer than it takes to get there, get on stage, have a photo shoot, and then head for the buffet table and a week of painful bloating :p

Shoulders and slow cardio done this morning. I pulled an ab and back muscle and moving at all was pretty painful. A slow elliptical session and a hot shower helped me get mobile this morning.

Mel

baffled111
03-05-2008, 08:43 PM
What is 'double cardio'? Is that different to 'twice as much cardio'?

Point taken Mel. I should stop eating so much and start doing more exercise. <sighs> Why does it always, always, always come back to that? I don't know what I was thinking you might tell me, now that I think about it. FWIW, I don't want to look anything like a fitness competitor. I want to look like a lean and healthy girl who watches what she eats and exercises properly and regularly.

Lifeguard, tragically, I started lifting weights in earnest last June, so my body has already done the early fat loss and adaptation bit. :( I've also found that TN website to be helpful--there are lots of good articles on there. But does anyone other than me find the site just a wee bit misogynistic? Even the sister site is covered with pictures of highly objectified/sexualized women. The info is nice, but I could really live without the gratuitous cleavage shots...

Lydia227
03-05-2008, 10:39 PM
But does anyone other than me find the site just a wee bit misogynistic? Even the sister site is covered with pictures of highly objectified/sexualized women. The info is nice, but I could really live without the gratuitous cleavage shots...

Uhm. Yeah, I do. :yes: I feel so slimy after accessing one of these sites for information but in the interest of information I try to ignore it while i'm reading. However, I'm certainly not going to be accessing it while in my local coffeeshop. :rofl:

Ya know, (here comes rant) it is difficult enough to encourage women to lift, to truly seek and embrace fitness beyond "toning" without having to sift through these kinds of images. I know, :rolleyes: there are many other sites that offer great information that are much more respectable toward the human body, male and female, and I frequent them too. It just frustrates me because I am afraid that it perpetuates a stereotype of the reasons why people may lift. Trust me, I look nothing like these women but still have every right to a fit and healthy body/lifestyle. :cool:

Be that as it may, thanks Lifeguard for the link. I'm always interested in learning more where I can. ;)

baffled111
03-06-2008, 12:59 AM
Lydia, I think the problem is that this is one of the few sites where you can get good, serious info about weight lifting (for women). But, they seem to assume that if you are serious about moving weight, you must also wish to be every-man's fantasy. I actually don't get it. Isn't lifting weights and being strong and being independent and tough the OPPOSITE of defining yourself in terms of male desire? Argh. I just don't like it, and I feel skeezy whenever I read an article on either of those sites. It just isn't right. Being a strong man doesn't mean being a misogynist. Being a strong woman isn't about conforming to male desire.

Lifeguard
03-06-2008, 05:15 AM
I'm soooo glad I'm not the only one. I try to ignore the pics & read the articles 'cause they really do have some valuable information. I have longed wondered why so many of the women who train so hard to have an awesome body & be strong & healthy feel compelled to have such sexual photos done. Have you ever checked out the websites of any fitness competitors? These are websites set up by these women (or someone they hire) themselves & still all boobs & butts & posed so sexually. I don't get it?!

Mel
03-06-2008, 07:25 AM
Me too. Lifting heavy does not mean I want or have DD implants!!! But I read them anyway, ignore the tone and the fatburner/hardgainer suplement ads.

Baf- I really don't think you are beyond muscle building as a way of lowering your body fat. I've been lifting for....gee, on and off since I was 20 back in the Pleistocene. I can still manage it when I change my lifting technique. I'm just at the point where maintenance is good, and much heavier have real negative effects on my joints. You are tall and NOT heavy. My guess is that you have long, lean muscles unlike my short bunchy ones. Neither of us can change that, but for you, a lower rep scheme at heavier weight would make sense. Isn't that the phase of NROLW that you are in now?

Mel

Lydia227
03-06-2008, 07:56 AM
Have you ever checked out the websites of any fitness competitors? These are websites set up by these women (or someone they hire) themselves & still all boobs & butts & posed so sexually. I don't get it?!

I remember seeing a show that followed a female fitness competitor from England. She had/has such a website. The reason for these images was to make money to support her lifting at the competition level. Because all of her efforts were focused upon her conditioning I don't think that she had employment outside of the website/photos. This may not be the case in all who compete but in some cases it may help to pay the bills while still allowing them the necessary time in the gym.

nelie
03-06-2008, 10:16 AM
I saw those sites and I just tried to ignore the pictures.

Last night I did workout 1B. I liked it. My abs were still sore from Monday and they are still sore. I used my kettlebells for the workout. I do like the pullovers but I really need to get my rack so I can do lat pull downs. I'm a bit sore which is always good.

Oh also last night, I ate a tofu frittata after my workout and I had enough points left for something else. The choice was frozen yogurt or a bean burrito. I decided to make the bean burrito instead and was glad I did :)

Oh and today I am wearing a size M top that I bought the other day at Lord & Taylor (for $10!) It is the first of what I hope are many size M tops :)

sportmom
03-06-2008, 10:31 AM
Nelie, i was just going to ask you, and you answered it yourself. Have you seen a clothing size change, or even diff in how they fit, now that you've been doing this kettlebell routine for - what 3 to 4 months. I would think with as much as you report doing that you are starting to see some awesome results. Sounds like it's true.

baffled111
03-06-2008, 10:59 AM
Congrats Nelie! That's great news.

Mel, the stage I'm on now is 3x6, but lots of the exercises have to be done on both sides (so the 1 arm OH squats are actually done 12 times, with 6 reps for each arm). I'm building muscle still, I'm sure, and I'm definitely making strength gains, I just want to lose some fat. But you're all very correct: I know what I have to do for that.

This morning will be NRLW3B. That means 1 legged squats and YTWLs. And also prone jackknifes (which I skipped in stage 1, so I'm doing them for the first time). Fun, fun!

nelie
03-06-2008, 12:58 PM
Baffled - those jackknifes are killer

Fran - I have noticed a difference but my eating was off for a while and I was in hiatus from kettlebells after my trip and it took me a while to get back to them. Although my weight right now is what it was in December, I actually fit in things now that I didn't fit in then

baffled111
03-06-2008, 02:15 PM
Alright, just to prove that I am not all talk and no action, I did 30, rather than 15 mins of HIIT after my workout today. That's 10 min warm up run + 45 mins weights + 30 mins HIIT. But by the end I was exhausted and starving. I probably need to eat more beforehand if I want to do more cardio at the end, but don't you run into a sort of diminishing returns situation here? Rather than having a 300 calorie breakfast, suddenly I need 500-600 and I'm STILL hungry. Hmmm. Tricky.

Nelie, my problem with those jackknives is that they are incredibly awkward. I had one of the yoga instructors from the gym show me how to do them the other day, but I'm pretty sure I'm still not doing them exactly right. But I did feel some action in the 'core' so I guess it was good for something.

Also, I HATE those YWTLs. What is up with that exercise?? I had to do them with 5lb dumbbells and I can't say that I completed each rep perfectly. How do you do those with new clients, Mel/Meg? Thank god my gym doesn't have the pink weights or I'd have been completely humiliated. Ego crushers indeed.

WaterRat
03-06-2008, 03:39 PM
Hmmm, thanks for the, um, encouragement about YWTLs, Baff. :lol: They look easy..... As for the jacknives, someone had a link to a YouTube video and it helped. I'm off to a meeting or I'd look for it. Can't help you on the eating....

lalala123
03-06-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi LWL! Can I ask you a question? :^:

I want to lift, but I'm finding it hard to - just do it. Maybe I'm lacking motivation or something, because I'd be doing this alone and I can't afford a personal trainer. Also, school and work keep me pretty busy usually so I don't always have as much time as I'd like.
I've been reading a lot about lifting, but knowledge alone isn't enough if I don't start doing it.

So my question is: has any of you started training / lifting alone? How did you find the motivation? How did you choose which exercises to do, how many reps and how often weekly? Any BTDT advice?

I'll read and watch some videos when I have time, then I'll get motivated and I'll go to the gym and work out once, maybe twice, but then something always happens - life gets in the way, I guess - a couple days go by and I lose motivation. :dizzy:
I'm not too strong in the self-discipline department, it seems. :o

nelie
03-06-2008, 07:17 PM
A lot of us are currently doing the "New rules of lifting for women" which is an awesome book with an awesome program.

When I first started lifting many many years ago, I did have a personal trainer but then I gave up lifting for a while. Then when I started again later on, I didn't but I basically read online about splits and different weight lifting regimines. We have some stickys in this forum that you might find useful.

I generally like to lift 4-5 days per week but the NRLW has a 3 day per week program.

lalala123
03-06-2008, 07:34 PM
Thanks, Nelie!
So you recommend getting a good book and sticking to it? I've read probably all articles at stumptuous.com and I'm now starting to read crossfit.com. I want to read as much as possible there and then have a look at a bunch of videos and pictures of exercises (I still have to look up most of them when I read their names, haha). So I'm definitely following links the links I find here. :D
Now making myself WO regularly... that's the hardest part.

Mel
03-06-2008, 07:55 PM
It's funny that "the hardest part" is different for all of us. I happily would workout 7 days a week for hours if I didn't know that it was counterproductive and that I'd literally fall apart in about 3 weeks :faint:

But food has been more than occasionally a struggle since I hit my goal weight.

lala, for me the motivation to workout comes from a variety of places. Initially vanity...I hit my goal weight but it sure wasn't my goal body! Now, I know it keeps me sane and I LIKE having a strong, tight body. I like my clothes. I feel better when I workout and lift heavy. Not many women my age look or feel like I do. OK, Meg does ;) I know that continuing to do this will keep me looking younger and moving longer and better than my contemporaries as I age. Those motivations may be too far in the future for you, but looking good and being able to wear great clothes because you have a great body rather than just a thin one should be a motivation at this point :) And if you feel stressed, slinging some iron is great way to relieve stress! :crazy:

Mel

WaterRat
03-06-2008, 07:58 PM
I would certainly work out more - and earlier in the day - if I didn't have this pesky need to earn $$. :lol:

But to answer your original question, lala, I taught myself to use free weights from reading books and looking at stuff on the web. I've never gotten more than a canned workout using machines when I joined a gym. You only need to make a commitment to get there and start... At least for me, once I've started in on my workout, I have no problem finishing the whole thing. It's a little harder with cardio for me. I'll take WL over cardio any day. :)

lalala123
03-06-2008, 08:00 PM
Haha, I'm not even thinking about the food yet. I want to get into this slowly so I don't start feeling too "overloaded".

And oh gosh, I want a body I can be proud of for so many reasons, but I have a hard time believing that I can achieve it, so I'm trying to focus on "just" gaining strength instead. Does that make sense or am I too weird? :lol:

I'm thinking about drawing some posters or something and hanging them on my walls so I have to see them every day - maybe that will give me the kick in the butt I need? :rofl:

lalala123
03-06-2008, 08:06 PM
WaterRat, great point. If I'm at the gym, I will work out. Getting there is the tricky part for me. :lol:
I've found that packing my gym bag the night before helps. I almost forgot that. (I haven't been there for ~2 weeks because of school stress and then an annoying cold.)
Maybe a list of "how to trick myself into not being lazy" would help. ;)

It's good to know that there are others who started without personal trainers and are doing well. :) I was afraid that having a PT, at least at the beginning, was "the way to go" (if there is such a thing), because I just can't afford one at the moment.

Depalma
03-06-2008, 08:55 PM
Also, I HATE those YWTLs. What is up with that exercise?? I had to do them with 5lb dumbbells and I can't say that I completed each rep perfectly. How do you do those with new clients, Mel/Meg? Thank god my gym doesn't have the pink weights or I'd have been completely humiliated. Ego crushers indeed.

I've seen Eric Cressey and Mike Robertson talking about prone trap raises, which is basically just the Y in YWTLs and they said they start most people off with no weight at all, just with their hands with thumbs up.

Remember (and I have to remind myself all the time too) you need to leave your ego at the door when you enter the gym. It leads to trying to lift too much weight with too bad of a form. It's usually worse with us guys than you girls. Anyway, why are you going to feel humiliated? The only people who are going to look at you doing those with 5lb dumbells and look down on you are people without a clue and they are probably to busy doing barbell curls in the squat rack with too much weight and a bent back to notice you. Everybody that has a clue is too busy focusing on their own workouts to notice, but if they do, they KNOW 5lbs is nothing to be ashamed of, and they probably see you doing an uncommon and productive exercise like YWTLs and if any thought crosses their minds, it is probably "This girl knows a little something about training."

Mel
03-06-2008, 09:16 PM
Those who forget to leave their ego at the gym door go home hurt ;) And pick up a humility towel on your way in!

Baf- 5 pounds is nothing to sneeze at! I have a coordinations challenged client- we laugh about it all the time- and to help her get the motions I did it along with her facing her. With 7 pound dumbbells and I wasn't exactly looking forward to doing more! Any ONE of those exercises, I can do with a 15 pound db- but as a huge, compound superset, it's just plain HARD.

nelie
03-06-2008, 10:33 PM
I don't even need weights at the gym, my ego is big enough :) Although sometimes I have to squeeze my ego and myself through the door...

sharonrr1
03-06-2008, 10:46 PM
Nelie, you are quite the inspiration. You simply amaze me every time I read a post from you. I bet your lots of fun in person.

baffled111
03-07-2008, 12:34 AM
Shucks Depalma. I'm really only kidding. I felt frustrated by the 5lb, but not humiliated at all. I maintain the right to exaggerate when it seems that exaggeration is appropriate. :)

4rabbit
03-07-2008, 03:12 AM
Hi LWL,

Rabbit reporting in after a few days of crazy work related absence!

Lala - I also started out on my own, just followed a book & did what it said. Like you, my biggest obstacle is to actually get started. I solved this by getting some dumbells, and putting a gym mat and a cheap mirror next to my bed. When I get up on lifting days, I start before I an conscious enough to think of excuses; I lift before I shower. And that works for me. It turns out to be much easier and less timeconsuming to just do it than to try to figure out how to fit it into my day.

Lifeguard - don't beat yourself up for your lack of motivation! You're pregnant!! All those hormones sloshing around in your body make you focus more on stuff that is biologically preparing you for getting a child, also some part of the internal you is getting a major overhaul to accomodate that baby in the next months. With all that restructuring around, it is not strange that you are tired and unmotivated to sport; your body has other priorities at the moment.

Thanks also everyone for the input on lowering the BF. My BF is way too high for my taste, 34 % on the tanita scale and I do not like what I see in the mirror. So I am freaking out a bit because since i do NRWL my weight is actually going UP!!! I have GAINED 5 pounds!!!!But fortunately my clothes still fit, my pants actually are the tiniest bit looser, so I hope I am gaining muscle and the weight will go down again in a couple of weeks like lifeguard says.

I am secretly thrilled because I never imagined I could get muscle, and I now do NRWL with a 20 + kg barbel and 8 - 10 kg dumbells!! Also I tried the HIIT thing in the gym last night, and I found out that I can actually keep up 9 kms per hour (6 mph) for 2 minutes in running intervals! This kind of points out to me that while i do not hink of myself as a sports person, I actually am getting better and better at this, and i am excited to see where this all leads. if I keep going, I might become a meg or a mel or a waterrat in the coming years...I'll be older but in great shape! I like the idea of becoming a tough old lady.

I'm off to go to the hospital with DD. She has a checkup with her cardiologist They closed a hole in her heart 8 years ago, but she is still checked every couple of years. She is doing fine but I am still looking forward to hearing this from the doctor.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

lalala123
03-07-2008, 04:53 AM
Lala - I also started out on my own, just followed a book & did what it said. Like you, my biggest obstacle is to actually get started. I solved this by getting some dumbells, and putting a gym mat and a cheap mirror next to my bed. When I get up on lifting days, I start before I an conscious enough to think of excuses; I lift before I shower. And that works for me. It turns out to be much easier and less timeconsuming to just do it than to try to figure out how to fit it into my day.

Oh, I really like that! I'll have to try it. :D

Thanks so much everyone for the good ideas and input. :cloud9:

I'm off to go to the hospital with DD. She has a checkup with her cardiologist They closed a hole in her heart 8 years ago, but she is still checked every couple of years. She is doing fine but I am still looking forward to hearing this from the doctor.

I hope the appointment went great! :D

nelie
03-07-2008, 10:41 AM
I have a question. I want to build up my barbell squats. I've been practicing with my broom handle. I'm kind of worried when I get a real barbell (45 lbs ?) that it'll be a bit too much.

I'm wondering if I should buy a spri weighted bar to practice? How do I build up to a barbell? I'm having mental issues with the concept that doing squats with a barbell is so much different than with dumbbells/kettlebells.

Mel
03-07-2008, 05:40 PM
Nelie- a naked barbell is 45 pounds. That will be light for you :) Just do it!

Mel

nelie
03-07-2008, 06:37 PM
Ok this is how big of a dork I am. So, I've been practicing squats with my hands near my shoulders. For some reason, my hamstrings lock up with my arms in that position. With or without weights (with or without broomstick). I can squat a decent amount of weight with the weights at my side or in front of me at about waist level.

So I decided to check to see if walmart had any cheap barbells and they did. It weighs 15-20 lbs and I figured it'd be a good starting point. So I assemble the barbell (yes assembly was required). I do a squat, no problem, no hamstring issues, etc. Uhh just this morning my hamstrings were not happy with me squatting in 'barbell position'.

This weekend, we will probably buy a regular barbell and some plates. Hopefully a squat rack too :)

WaterRat
03-07-2008, 07:24 PM
Alright Nelie! You are a :strong: woman! Do you have an extra bedroom or the garage set up with all your home equipment? I'd so love to have something other than 5# and 8# dbs, a yoga mat, and an ancient - but high quality - exercise bike, but we have NO more room. Between DH being into woodworking, me into crafts/quilting, and a home office, we've used up all our space. I don't even have room to leave my keyboard (music, not computer :) ) out, so I don't play it nearly as often as I'd like. On the other hand, I don't want to pay for or clean a larger house! :lol:

elisa822
03-07-2008, 09:08 PM
Nelie - I know you'll have no problem with the 45lb. bar and you're so lucky to have all that equipment at home! I really enjoy going to the gym, having the people around but I'd love to have both...is that too much too ask? ;) Like Pat, it's just not a possiblility but that's okay. You should post some pictures one day of the "Nelie Gym"...sounds like somewhere I would join. What's the membership fee? ;)

I hate to quote myself but I think my question, which I'm still wondering about, got lost in a longer post a couple of days ago so, I will shamefully ask it again....and I'm up to 8 pushups!

Here's a question for the experts: How far down do you have to get before you can actually call it a pushup?! No really...I have never been able to do big girl pushups but I've been feeling a bit stronger and I think the yoga has really helped. Yesterday I tried them and managed five actual pushups but I couldn't get down too low. Is it still a pushup or should I go back to the knees so I can get down lower?

Depalma
03-07-2008, 10:27 PM
Elisa, it depends on who you listen to. I have seen claims that you must touch your chest to the ground, I have seen others where you need to go low enough so that if a training partner were to hold his fist under your chest, you would hit it. In the Army, as long as you go low enough for your upper arms to be parallel to the ground, they count it. In reality, the difference between the three is only a couple of inches.

Anyway don't go back to your knees if your current pushups don't meet that range of motion. use stairs, aerobic steps, or a smith machine bar to progress your way down to the floor. This core stabilization required for this versus the pushups from the knees will translate much better to the full pushup.

4rabbit
03-08-2008, 06:41 AM
Hi LWL,

DDs checkup in the hospital was fine!!!! They took an ECG and an echo, and the heart is perfectly OK!. The ladies of the echo machine even gae het a picture to take home, where you can see the "umbrella" that was used to close the hole real well/ of course this was as expected but it is still a hige relief for me. I am dead tired today, since getting to the hospital and back was about 5 hours diriving in total, partly in the dark, in heavy traffic and in the rain.
But we did not hit anything and got home safely.

Lala- how did your doctor appointment go ?

Elisa - it has never occurred to me to judge wether a pushup counts! As long as I have my butt in line with the rest, and feel myself going up & down by using my arms that is IMO a pushup. And kudo's that you are up to 8 ! This is no mean feat. pushup from the knees are much much easier. In NRWL I anc do between 8 and 10, and i am proud of myself for that.

Nelie - I was about to suggest you get a barbell to try out the squats and you already did ! I probabely got one like the cheap one you bought...mine us 10 kg, unloaded, and I ordered it over the mail together with some weights. I did not tell the mailman what it was though, when he delivered it to my door and commented on the weight of the package.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

lalala123
03-08-2008, 08:28 AM
Lala- how did your doctor appointment go ?

I think you mean Sportsfreak, I don't think I've mentioned going to the doc here. :D

I'm glad your daughter's appointment went well. :)

Interesting discussion about the push-ups. I can't go very deep, I'm always afraid my arms will give and that I'll fall on my face or something. :dizzy: "Girly" push ups are much easier. I think I'll practice those until I can do 20 or so and then move on to real push ups.

Lydia227
03-08-2008, 08:37 AM
Mel: Can I borrow your skis? I may need them to get to the airport and shovel out a runway myself. Yep, you guessed it. :yes: DH scheduled a conference during another snow squall, okay, they are calling it a blizzard here.

Luckily I did get a workout in yesterday morning but not before it started. Driving home was a little treacherous but I'm nice and sore today. I will get a little workout in clearing out the driveway a couple times today and I have a nice selection of lifting books to read during the down time. So it looks like a good day ahead. Hopefully all of this stuff will be gone by Monday so I can get back to my gym and into a routine again. All of this gym shopping/hopping has been driving me :dizzy:

Mel
03-08-2008, 08:46 AM
Lydia, I talked to dd last night and even the intrepid risk-taker was holed up in her apartment. She'd gotten home from the gym at 6 pm and even that was a mess. She said 15 inches were forecasted and it looked like you were going to get them. Driving must be a nightmare! I may go out there to ski :lol: eastern PA got 15 inches of rain. DD assures me Holiday Valley (or something like that) is decent for a day.

Legs in a few minutes- gotta go to the gym!

Mel

sportsfreak
03-08-2008, 10:57 AM
Hey everyone,

I did go to the doctor regarding my hair loss. He said that my body is just reacting to the weight i lost. He can see new growth of hair. My hair is just going through a phase. Its bound to come back. so no big issue to me. Just hope my body stabalizes soon.

nelie
03-08-2008, 11:42 AM
Pat, Elisa - The home gym is pretty simple. When we bought our place, one requirements was a place to have a home gym and that place was the finished part of the basement. Right now, it has a cheap bench, some dumbbells, some kettlebells, a step, a ball (although I need a new one), a 32" TV with DVD player and VCR (best part), the elliptical and a chair for our dog to sit in. We have a sofa that we'll have to move once we get a rack and I'll need a new bench.

Hopefully in a little bit, we'll be going shopping for some goodies. We are just going to pretend we don't owe money on our taxes which are due next month :)

baffled111
03-08-2008, 02:12 PM
That sounds pretty good though Nelie! I'm envious. I don't own so much as a dumbbell!

Just got back from the gym and am feeling appropriately hungry and exhausted. :)

Sportsfreak: I'm glad your doc isn't worried about your hair loss. Keep an eye on it though. I've never suffered hair loss when losing weight... Are you sure you're eating a healthy and balanced diet?

nelie
03-08-2008, 09:00 PM
Hey all,

I have to say squat rack shopping was a bit depressing. All the home gym stores have exercise systems or smith machines but no squat racks. One store had a half squat rack but I could totally see myself missing the guard bars. All the stores said they could order them. One store (where we bought our elliptical) has an awesome return policy while the others didn't.

They had 2 options we liked. One was a smith machine/pulley system where the smith machine bar moved freely back/forth and up/down although was stabilized side to side. It was a hoist system and very $$ although very nice.

The second option was a prospot system where it is kind of an electronic free moving bar on heavy cables. I was worried about the electronics failing and the bar being free falling but that didn't seem possible plus there is a way to set stops manually. It has a 700 weight limit (weight limit for bar, cables have stronger weight limit). Uhh yeah so its getting delivered friday :) http://www.prospotfitness.net/hg1.html

Anybody that wants to come workout, feel free.

nelie
03-08-2008, 11:08 PM
Fran,

The link I shared is what we bought although I didn't say we bought it, just that it is getting delivered. Although I still am disappointed that no store had a full cage. You'd think they would.

Oh and we ended up going to Dick's afterwards and they had a sale. Olympic bar plus full set of olympic weights (45 down to 2.5). After these purchases, I don't think my home gym will need anything else although I would like a bosu....

baffled111
03-09-2008, 12:38 PM
Nelie, you're an addict!

Very cool though. That machine is very fancy. Congrats on the exciting purchase! (Although you're right: you'd think a straight-up cage would be relatively easy to find).

Today is my rest day, if I choose to take it. I could definitely use the calorie burn of some exercise, but my knees are killing me this morning. Also, I'm rather hung over. :( Ugh.

Lifeguard
03-09-2008, 08:31 PM
You would think a cage would be easy to find but even in gyms they can be hard to find. When we moved here I went to every gym in the area with a squat rack being the one thing it HAD to have. I was left with 2 choices - one that was awkward to get to & played loud, bad music but had a cage & world gym which is really fancy but has a less than ideal squat rack. I went with world gym but I am still sketchy on the squat rack - 'cause it's not a cage I'm always scared I will miss the rails is something were to happen.

Funny thing was every gym, no matter how small & sketchy had at least one smith machine - ugh!

nelie
03-10-2008, 10:32 AM
I think part of the difficulty is that fancy sells as much as it does sell gyms these days. Who really wants a cage where you have to have some idea of what you are doing versus having a 'home gym' where you just sit down and perform various guided exercises that isolate muscle groups?

Safety and flexibility where my biggest items and although the system may be a bit too fancy for me, it is safe and has enough flexibility for various workouts.

That being said, I can't wait until my workout on Friday. Yesterday, I did 1B and I'm sore today. I had a lot of difficulty waking up and partially thought it was the workout from yesterday but I guess the time change had some play in that too.

elisa822
03-10-2008, 01:26 PM
Well, I finally went to see someone about my shoulder problems and got diagnosed, not surprisingly, with rotator cuff tendonitis. What does this mean? I don't know yet but he recommended that I try some physical therapy. He thought just a few visits would give me enough information to learn some exercises that should help. He thought I should cut out the shoulder exercises that I had been doing, for now, until I could strengthen some muscles. I'm not sure if I want to cut out everything for 6-8 weeks but I'm quite familiar with which exercises bother me. I guess I should make the appointment and see what I learn.

Good to know I haven't lost my mind with my random shoulder issues. It was hard to be there because today, of course, they felt fine. It's tough because the problems come and go so randomly (randomly to me at least). Sometimes I just wake up and can't lift my arm too high. Then it goes away on it's own. I'll keep you posted and if anyone has any thoughts, please share!

Lydia227
03-10-2008, 05:19 PM
Elisa: I'm so glad you went to get this checked. :hug: Hopefully you will learn some new tricks to help you work with/around your shoulder pain.

By the way, is that you in your avatar from vacation? When I was doing research on all inclusive vacations I found places that offer trapeze lessons. It looked like a lot of fun.

elisa822
03-10-2008, 07:08 PM
Lydia - thanks for the kind words about my poor old shoulders. And yes, that was me on my vacation! Not a great picture but I was so proud of myself that I had to put it up. :o I'm not usually the adventurous type for stuff like that but I figured I was on vacation and how often do you get to try out a trapeze? One of my friends chickened out but I just went for it (although I was scared out of my mind!) I managed that knee hang on the first try and was so proud. :D

WaterRat
03-10-2008, 07:21 PM
Elisa, how exciting - flying the trapeze! :) When I was a kid the neighborhood dads got together and got us kids a playground quality swing set, and we had a trapeze, but not that high. :lol: And I loved doing the zipline in Costa Rica last year. You're right - how often do you get to try these things out!?

I'm very tired today - didn't sleep well, after not being able to fall asleep, and then the alarm clock went off right on time..... Supposed to go to the gym from work, but I'm not sure I can stay awake long enough.

My 95 year old FIL died Sat morning. He's not been well for the past few months, and his body just started shutting down. He'd been in a nursing home for the past few weeks. He was mentally alert right to the end, and DH had visiting him in late January, and talked to him on Thursday. He had a long full life, and while we're sad of course, we realize it was just him time. We will not have the funeral (in Massachusetts) until after Easter for a variety of reasons, but it will likely necessitate changing all the airline arrangments for our Grand Canyon vacation. Sigh.

BTW, Girl Scout cookies are :devil:

Mel
03-10-2008, 07:44 PM
Pat- I'm sorry to hear of your FIL's death. A good, full life is to be celebrated. Your new travel pans sound exhausting!

Elisa- I'm glad you got that checked out too! Now go to PT and learn some of the stretches and techniques for alleviating it. Chronic tendonitis is dreadful :hug: At least it's not a tear, that would be far longer than a 6 week recovery. I did the trapeze 2 years ago when I was in Jamaica with dd. It was FUN! and the staff all stared at the crazy old lady trying it :dizzy: The one thing that bothered me was that I had to go wash all the sun tan lotion off, then I got burned.

LF- How are you feeling these days?

Lydia- Are you dug out yet? Did the boys have school?

I did cardio this morning despite feeling like something the cat dragged in. Actually felt much better when I was done. Sure was dark out, tho! I need to add some higher impact exercises despite my attempts to protect my knees. Turns out that just heavy lifting isn't enough to protect bone mass. Out of necessity, I've been doing a lot of research lately and have found that the most bone mass is built or rebuilt with a combination of ground based, top-loaded exercise, and impact. I loathe running, but will start doing about 10 minutes a day again:(

Chest workout at the gym at lunchtime....

Mel

WaterRat
03-10-2008, 09:36 PM
Mel, I worry about that too (the no impact thing) but until I get something more done to my knees, I just don't see any way of doing it. I suppose that step-ups help a little more than just walking. I'm putting off the ortho til after my GC vacation (but then my sister wants me to go to England/Scotland with her in the fall..... There's never a good time is there? :) ) I had my first ever bone scan in January - and got an A+ so I won't worry about that yet.

Lydia227
03-10-2008, 10:33 PM
Elisa: Great! I had hoped it was you on the trapeze. How fun!

Pat: I am sorry to know your FIL passed away over the weekend. Even when our loved ones have lived a long full life it is still difficult to accept their passing. It's nice that your DH was able to spend time with him January.

Mel: No school today. The roads were cleared but the sidewalk and parking lots around the schools were still covered with 20 inches of snow. So I did what any other insane mother would do. Let her DS call every friend he could find at home over for a playdate. DS1 talked DH into purchasing a new video game that was just released yesterday. Needless to say he didn't have to twist anyone's arm to come over to play. After about an hour of that lovely music I chased them all outside to play in the snow. At this age it turned into a snowball fight and wrestling match that I had to mediate every once in a while. Great fun. :club: Nah. They're all good boys. :s: :rofl:

Lifeguard
03-10-2008, 11:55 PM
Ah Lydia you made me seriously regret not experiencing all of this fabulous snow heavy winter! I love playing in the snow!!!

Depalma - thanks for those squat videos. I just had a chance to watch them today & they're awesome.

I am still feeling exhausted & my workouts are almost non-existent. I nap every afternoon & then feel so guilty & terrible afterwards for wasting daylight. Ugh - I need to be a little stricter with myself & only allow the nap AFTER the workout!!!

sportmom
03-11-2008, 12:09 AM
Awww, LG, really - cut yourself some slack. The first Tri is reeeaaally hard - I've heard some say that they were relieved to find out they were "just" prg, bc they feared it was something much worse. So you're supposed to feel like crap. I PROMISE you that come week 13 you will be back to your normal self - only you will appreciate it 200x more bc of the misery you just went through. It will never be this bad again, until week 37+ when you will just feel immobile and physically challenged. You know the worse you feel, the better the hormones! So, instead of focusing on not working out, why don't we just start the countdown to the 2ndtri? Sorry, I've turned off siggys, so you'll have to remind me how much longer til then!

Mel
03-11-2008, 07:48 AM
Pat- my first dexa at age 50 was a+ too, but my dexa a month ago was not. Family history is against me, but the machines were quite different. I'm off to the doc this morning to discuss the drugs that I refuse to take. :(

Cardio done, maybe gym at lunch if doc doesn't make me too late.

kaw
03-11-2008, 10:22 AM
A fly-by post this morning, almost literally. We're leaving in a couple of hours for the airport and our flight to Tucson. From there, it's a 50-minute drive to the Middle of Nowhere, which will be our home base for a week of hiking, bird-watching, photography, etc.

Stay strong, everyone.

Kim

Lifeguard
03-11-2008, 02:09 PM
Thanks Sportmom - I'm only at 7 weeks so still awhile to go yet in this trimester. Just got back from taking the dog for her walk - feel a little better for having sweated today.

4rabbit
03-11-2008, 03:03 PM
Hi LWL,

Pat - sorry to hear about your FIL

Mel - How was the docter appointment ? Any new thoughts on bone density?

LG - keep it up and listen to your body. if you are tired, take a nap. This is the one period in your life where everyone is totally understanding that you are tired, AND it is your first child ( so no other 1 or 2 yr old to keep mommy busy). ENJOY! this is a once in a lifetime event, you will not be able to rest like now for the next 10 years. (Can you tell that I have 2 kids ?)

Elisa - WOW on the trapeze act

Lydia - are thawed out yet ?

Kaw - enjoy our holiday!

Hi to everyone else.
I am still tired from last week but I did NRWL yesterday, upped the weights again to 13 kg DBs and 24 kg BB. I'm actually glad that I am heading towards session 8, and will get to stage 2 next because the BB is getting kind off scary...I do the lifting alone, at home, without squat rack so I think I definitely want to keep stuff under control. No power class yesterday but I did 30 mins rowing and 30 mins run today. I am re-doing c25k, trying to get to a higher speed.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Lydia227
03-11-2008, 09:29 PM
Hi Rabbit:wave: We are still thawing out over here but traffic is back to normal at least in the city. I have no idea what the surrounding counties are like. DH came home from work and cranked out this sculpture while there was still daylight. No roly poly snowman gracing our front lawn. :rofl: Even our snowcreatures are fit. :D

http://drop20.frameworkpress.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/03/snow-satyr.jpg

sportmom
03-11-2008, 10:43 PM
That's crazy! How creative!! Does he work in the creative field somehow - marketing, advertising? THat is so imaginative - the profile creation and everything. Wow.

WaterRat
03-12-2008, 01:28 AM
Lydia - :nono: :rofl: Love it.....

Mel
03-12-2008, 07:26 AM
Hmmm...that's a little creepy looking! What is the head thing?

Cardio mix this morning of treadmill run and bike. Trying to get more I.M.P.A.C.T. It worked.

Shoulders today at the gym.

Hang in there everyone!

Mel

nelie
03-12-2008, 01:22 PM
Hey all,

I did 1A today. My barbell squats are getting better. And I upped my pushups. I'm now on the third step of my stairs. I also noticed I'm getting better at the jackknife but it is still a pain. The back of my legs are still extremely sore from Sunday though. I did try to remember to do my warmups this morning though.

Am I the only dork that has trouble with squat to stand? I can never seem to go very far into the squat.

Lydia227
03-12-2008, 08:06 PM
So does anyone want to guess what this sculpture is? DH refers to it as a snow satyr. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Satyr I'm so embarrassed. It was supposed to be a sculpture of me when he started and then it grew horns and then these elf like ears and... and... I have a playgroup/lunchgroup with some friends at my house tomorrow. It will have to go.

Fran: Glad you liked DH sculpture. Although I kind of take the same stance as Mel. "It is a little creepy." DH does have a pretty wild streak of imagination. He is frequently doing things like this and then people come back and ask me about it. ~sigh~ Anyway, I do enjoy his creativity and wouldn't change a thing about him. DH is in web development and spends his early mornings and weekends writing the "Great American Novel." So yes, he does have other outlets for his artistic needs. Lets just all hope he doesn't take up sculpting anytime soon.

Nelie: I've tested out the squat to stand. It was pretty clumsy the first few times and I'm still not so sure I want to take that one into the gym. I have all kinds of thoughts about this book and program but I'm waiting till I actually apply it before I post about it. In short I'm just looking at the volume or lack there of in exercises and it's only three days a week. But, we'll see. I'll try it before I knock it. And all the food. :dizzy: I'm supposed to eat close to 1900 calories on these days! No way will I be able to maintain. I will gain for sure. But okay, I'll take measurements and test it first.

elisa822
03-12-2008, 08:18 PM
Lydia - love the sculpture and I completely respect the talent!! I think your dh and mind would get along great! Mine wouldn't likely have done that sculpture but he has more unfinished novels than I could count! You should really give some sort of warning before someone clicks on that wikepidia link!! :o

I'm still loving my pushups too, although my doctor warned that they may not be great for my shoulders! Right now pushups don't hurt so I'm keeping up with them...just a few at a time.

Edited because I went back to my NROLW and realized I misunderstood the squat to stand Nelie was talking about! Haven't tried those yet.

drop20
03-12-2008, 08:22 PM
I'm so embarrassed. It was supposed to be a sculpture of me when he started and then it grew horns and then these elf like ears and... and... I have a playgroup/lunchgroup with some friends at my house tomorrow. It will have to go.

Well, this explains why the satyr had no head when I got home from work today. :coolsnow:

Mel
03-13-2008, 07:26 AM
A headless satyr is even more creepy! kind of Tim Burton....

I hear there is still plenty of snow left to play with.

Cardio done, food packed, gym at lunch :)

I need to dig out the book and look at the squat to stand. My new mania is overhead squats with a long bar. I've now worked my way all the way up to sixty pounds :lol3: I feel like a weakling compared to standard squats. How the heck did the woman in the cross fit video manage 124 pounds????? She's younger, that's it!

Have a good one!

sportsfreak
03-13-2008, 08:41 AM
Hey everyone,

That scultpure does look very creepy, I completly agree with everyone. But its cool none the less.

Well because of the big snowstorm, my G2 drivers test got postponed until today. I'm soooo excited.

Yesterday I went into LA fitness (its openin up in canada now) to get some rates. I went alone without my parents because i wanted to see if they can lower the prices and such. They are very firm on their prices. My mom does have a membership there and she is paying 35 a month. We want to get me added on for 25 a month with no initation.

Just curious, how much are you all paying for your gym memberships. Do any of you go to LA fitness. Do you think it is possible me my mom and I to get that kind of deal with them, or will they no budge.

Later, I check back in with u after my drivers test.:D

sportmom
03-13-2008, 12:16 PM
WAIT - has our group been infiltrated by the magical dh to Lydia himself??? (post 127). Rutrow - Lydia's in big trouble now! SOmeone's dh has been going thru the history on her computer!!! :)

Sure glad I said nice things about it!!! :rofl:

elisa822
03-13-2008, 01:43 PM
WAIT - has our group been infiltrated by the magical dh to Lydia himself??? (post 127). Rutrow - Lydia's in big trouble now! SOmeone's dh has been going thru the history on her computer!!!

Sure glad I said nice things about it!!!

All I thought to myself when I read your post was "oh crap..what did I say?" Hi Lydia's DH!! Nice to meet you, love the sculpture. :D that sounded sincere, right?

sportsfreak - there was a whole thread once on this and I know if varies for everyone. I live right in the heart of downtown and get a corporate discount for a "fancy shmancy" i.e. caters to the business crowd, gym on the corner. I still pay $65 a month. A lot but worth it for me since I actually go and mostly at lunch. It's a great use of a lunch hour!

dixied
03-13-2008, 02:47 PM
Sportsfreak - We pay $0 for our gym membership, it's covered under DH's insurance. (And today, it's the only reason I can come up with to keep him ;))
But I know that the "spa" gym I went to last month was $45/month. I switched back to the 24/hour type gym place this month (we can switch gyms once a month) and it's about the same.

WaterRat
03-13-2008, 07:29 PM
Hmmm, we belong to a "basic" sort of gym, though it has 2 racquetball courts, as well as the usual free weights, weight machines, cardio equipment, aerobics room. It also has a tanning room :shrug: and in the women's locker room a steam room. (Wonder if the men's does? Need to ask DH) We pay $75 for the two of us, discounted I think $10 as a senior rate. I could drive about 1.5 - 2 miles further and go to a new gym, which has 5 indoor basketball courts, but I hear the free weight area is small, or I could go .5 miles less to an "express" gym which is 99% cardio equipment and has NO showers! I think I'll stay where I am.

Lifeguard
03-13-2008, 08:37 PM
Waterrat - that sounds like more than a basic gym to me!!!

nelie
03-13-2008, 08:45 PM
Gym costs do vary so much.

The gyms nearest me, cost $59-$80/month for a discounted rate. Gyms near my work are in the $30/month range. My membership to Ballys is in the $8/month range because I got a membership 7 years ago and paid for 3 years ahead of time.

Lydia227
03-13-2008, 09:13 PM
WAIT - has our group been infiltrated by the magical dh to Lydia himself??? (post 127). Rutrow - Lydia's in big trouble now! SOmeone's dh has been going thru the history on her computer!!! :)

Sure glad I said nice things about it!!! :rofl:

Uhm Yeah, DH got a wild streak one evening and decided to post on another thread in this forum where he introduced himself. Don't sweat it. Most things roll right off him. How funny though that everyone rechecks what they posted about his "art" Fortunately it melted and morphed into something unrecognizable by this afternoon. All is back to normal.

Cost of gym memberships. I pay mine annually. Its about $800.00 for a family of four. It includes a decent selection of new cardio equipment, FreeMotion cable equipment, a decent sized and equipment free weights area, pool, sauna, spinning, aerobics classes, and yoga. I'm pretty happy there with the exception of the distance it is from my home. With the bad weather we have had as well as illness I am really lusting after the home gym arrangement Nelie has set up in her home.

nelie
03-13-2008, 09:19 PM
Lydia,

You can come visit! I'll post a pic after I get my equipment tomorrow.

Mel
03-14-2008, 07:33 AM
I did a back workout at home when I got home from work yesterday and was reminded what excellent equipment I really do have. My $100/month country club gym membership so that I can workout at lunch time truly is a luxury. Doing an evening (before dinner) workout really messed up my evening schedule and I was still cleaning up the kitchen and making breakfasts at 9pm, so maybe my gym money is well spent.

The scale actually flickered below my red line wight for a nanosecond this morning before settling smack on 125. I'm hoping by the end of an on plan weekend, I will be firmly below :) My dad's birthday is Sunday and we are all going out to dinner, but I picked the restaurant and can hold myself to plan better there than if I were on a cooking spree at home.

Mel

Lifeguard
03-14-2008, 11:28 AM
We pay $35 for the world gym here. No discount for the 2nd spouse. But we are already getting a $20 discount because my dh's company has a deal with world gym. So we can't really complain.

Lydia227
03-14-2008, 01:42 PM
Nelie: I would love that. Sounds like fun.
Mel: Good for you to plan a restaurant instead of preparing it at home. Its so much more difficult once the food is brought into the house. Once we leave the restaurant the situation is over! Congrats on keeping the weight below your red line.

So. I did workout A1 today. Mea Culpa, mea culpa, mea culpa. This is what I was thinking as I had my nose to the floor doing the 15 pushups during the second set that follows the low row. I think because it was a new workout it really was more challenging that it appeared on paper. Also, the low rows were difficult to stablize my legs for a good pull backward because I had shredding my quads during barbell squats. It was the first time I've done squats since October. I now have an even greater appreciation for the strength I had last summer. I was good just loading the bar with and extra twenty pounds. :^: My left knee made some grinding noises and was a little achey after but I'm hoping that this will work itself out as I progress. I really want this bad! ~sigh~

Oh, my goodness, :rofl: the prone jackknife on the ball! Okay. I checked my pride at the door this morning and attempted this movement. Let me just begin by saying there wasn't anything graceful about it. Just getting on the blasted thing took a lot of balance. Then, once I did get myself up there, walking the hands out and holding it there took another round of balance. Once I was stablized I could attempt to pull my knees in and roll back and forth but wow. :o It took a few tries. :dizzy:I have to admit that it was more fun than embarrassing for me. :D What the heck, if you don't try anything new you can't make any gains. I will be thrilled if I begin to see other members attempt this manuever as well. :yes: Great fun. :high:

Over all I felt like I did a good lbwo but my bi,tri, chest, and lats don't feel as taxed as they usually do after an ubwo. :dunno: May need to do a little tweaking to this. We'll see.

Have a great weekend everyone. :wave:

Depalma
03-14-2008, 01:47 PM
I received some great news today.

I saw my cardiologist today for the first time since my bypass surgery in January and I have no more heart rate restrictions during exercise. Back to HIIT for me!

Now, I just need to wait about another 6-8 weeks for my chest to heal, so I can resume unrestricted upper body resistance training and I'll be back to normal!

Meg
03-14-2008, 01:53 PM
Good news, Depalma! You've made an amazing recovery! :cp:

Lydia227
03-14-2008, 03:02 PM
That's awesome Depalma! :high: But wait! You had bypass surgery?! This must have been a long winter for you too. This is great news that you will be on the otherside of this experience soon. :hug:

sportmom
03-14-2008, 06:04 PM
Wow Depalma, I remember you posted just that you had a health setback during that time, but I had no idea it was so serious. My mil just had one and I know they are serious, serious stuff. Glad you are back on the workout road!

Mel
03-14-2008, 06:13 PM
Yikes, depalma, you made it sound like a bad cold, not cardiac surgery when you posted about it :faint: I'm so glad to hear that you are on the other side of this now! Heal quickly :)

Lydia, I fall off stability balls regularly with some of my stupid human tricks. All I can do is laugh. What's even funnier is that I do see other people trying some of my ridiculous exercises! I'm particularly entertained when I see a trainer at the gym where I'm not employed using one of my wacko routines.

Mel

WaterRat
03-14-2008, 07:01 PM
Lydia, I had the same experience with the prone jackknife. Once I get setup it's okay, but some days just getting in position is a workout in itself. :lol:

Lydia227
03-14-2008, 08:10 PM
Pat you are so right about that! OMG. I had sweat pouring off my face as I was rolling around with that stupid thing. It was just too funny. ~Can't wait to try it again though!~

Mel: See, it really must look like fun if other trainers are trying it too. I'll be watching...I really hope to see others try this soon. By that time I'll be all slick and have no trouble hoisting myself up there and cranking out a quick tight 15 reps. :s:

drop20
03-14-2008, 08:37 PM
Don't sweat it. Most things roll right off him.

That's because I've still got to lose another 25lbs.:doh:

Hello everyone, no worries on the sculpture. I only had 20 mins before it got dark, so it turned out weird. Fun to do though.

I'm not a regular lurker. Just pop in from time to time to see what Lyd is doing between reps. :beach:

4rabbit
03-15-2008, 03:32 AM
Hi LWL,

Today I'm going into NRWL 1A, 8th workout! I'm thrilled because i made it sofar, and i gained a lot of strenght i feel. I think I am not doing the prone jackknife right, I do not find them so hard, so i guess i'll look in the mirror this time!

edited: I finished my 1A 8th workout & I noticed:
1. My weights have DOUBLED vs. my first 1A workout, and I did not think I was going particularly heavvy today
2. I did not put my hips as high and my head as low as the model on the picture of the prone jackknife
3. Prone jackknifes are VERY difficult if you also have to look into the mirror to check form!
4. Altough my weight has gone up, my very tight new capri's & T-shirt that I bought for summer fit much better. Actually I have the "loose pants" feeling in my everyday jeans as well!!!

I can't wait to see where NRWL is going to get me! Anyone into stage 2 yet that can share some results ???

Have a great weekend all,
Rabbit

Lydia227
03-15-2008, 09:01 AM
so i guess i'll look in the mirror this time!
3. Prone jackknifes are VERY difficult if you also have to look into the mirror to check form!
Rabbit

:rofl: I was just going to say WAIT!!! Don't you dare look into the mirror!!!:rofl:

Congratulations on your increasing strength! :hug: I'm really excited to see where this program will take me as well. I might also add that I am incredibly sore this morning in my glutes and hams. I was up most the night with DOMS but I know this too will pass. I'm going in today just for some cardio, get some blood flow into the legs and workout that lactic acid. B1 is on for tommorow . :dance:

Have a great weekend everyone!

WaterRat
03-15-2008, 02:06 PM
It is amazing that the few seemingly simple - prone jacknife excepted - can work us so well! I really look forward to these exercises. :) I'm about to go to Stage 2, but need to get the exercises transferred to my notebook. Yay on the loose pants Rabbit.

sportsfreak
03-15-2008, 03:26 PM
Hey everyone,

About those prone jacknifes, I have done them but i dont seem to have a much of a problem with them .I do aree at the beginning they were a bit difficult but i caught on to it after a while. I guess it requirs alot of balance and coordination.

Anyways i went snowboarding yesterday, the first time in a year, and man am i sore. After i got the hand of it i went on the bigger hills. While getting off the lift, my sister fell taking me down with her. My knees hit the edge of her board- there badly burised. I sister is in total agony, but i find my legs and butt do not hurt as much as her because i do exericese. Im starting to see the benifits to sticking with it.

My entire last week was march break- no school So i fell of the wagon big time. Time to pick myself off the ground and move right along with my normal routine. hopefully i will be getting myself a gym membership so i can start nrl4w.

sportmom
03-15-2008, 07:04 PM
Dying to post both a tidbit and a question, but since we'll have a new thread in 12 hours and this one will go dark, I'm savin' it! Plus, I don't think many hang out here on a saturday nite..........

Meg
03-15-2008, 07:05 PM
Hey Fran, start the new thread tonight with your question and tidbit! :D