South Beach Diet - The Weekend Chick Chat

View Full Version : The Weekend Chick Chat

cottagebythesea
03-01-2008, 08:03 AM
Happy March! :) It's coming in like a lamb here, I just hope it goes out like a lamb, too. Spring is right around the corner. :flow1:

The predicted 3" of snow ended up being just rain for us. I really wouldn't have minded the snow, since it's the weekend. I'm not sure just what our plans are for the day, right now I'm just curled up next to Jake on the couch, enjoying my coffee.

CyndiM
03-01-2008, 08:28 AM
:cry:

No lambs here.
Good morning Cottage! Now for coffee.

Loriann7
03-01-2008, 08:38 AM
it looks calm but cold out, but I"m gonna get out to take Jade for a walk at least once if not twice today. She's locked in crate all day while I'm at work and it's been too cold to take her for walks, so I'm gonna dig out the longjohns and go!!!!! Besides, I need my exercise and I have no plans of going into town to do the curves, unless son needs picking up, then I will. He has a class of Judo this am.

I really pray I don't lose this gumption I have right now. I have been feeling like I CAN lose the weight I'm wanting to lose, but usually I get down to about 178 and stop. I'm hoping that between you all and curves I wont quit!

I have gotten the blood pressure down. This am it's down to 123/89 !!!!! as opposed to 173/93, 162/101, 184/104... (those are readings stored in the machine.)

Loriann7
03-01-2008, 08:43 AM
Hey! How did I get my title changed to SR member???? :)

Ruthxxx
03-01-2008, 09:06 AM
Loriann - it changed automatically after 100 posts. Would you like it changed to something else - like Gumption Gal? So glad you are still feeling feisty!

Cottage, sounds cozy. I may make myself a fancy dancy breakfast in lieu of going out with you and Jake. :lol:

CindiM, I'm with you on the :( re the weather - maybe even a :mad:. We may as well resign ourselves to March as a winter month and take any spring-like days as a bonus. My plough lad is the only one happy baout the snow - he's ploughed me out at elast once a week since mid-December.

I hope to get out in my car today - just going down to the store for milk would be such freedom although my friends have been incredibly supportive. There's one wee problem - my neighbour Liz had the use of my Focus while I couldn't drive and has mislaid the keys! Oy! I suspect they are in a jacket pocket and will turn up today but ...... I really need to get back to driving as I have a re-check with the surgeon in town on Wednesday and really would like to drive myself.

Hershey and I plan a quiet day with some sewing to do and an order to get ready from the garden catalogues that I've been drooling over since December. Come on Spring!

Schmoodle
03-01-2008, 09:27 AM
Good Saturday Morning chicks!
DH and I had a really nice dinner at Sunset last night. I love that place, we've been there dozens of times and always get a great meal. It's also a place my grandparents used to love to go to, so some fond childhood memories too. There's nothing like a morning weigh-in to keep you on track though! I had one glass of wine, a salad, lima beans, and tenderloin with a crabcake, but I only ate half of the entree (yummy lunch today!). The kids ended up sleeping over at my Mom's house. DH and I were both beat - he worked the midnight to 8AM watch yesterday, so he hadn't slept for about a day and a half, except for a nap on the plane, and I hadn't slept much either. We stayed up long enough to get reacquainted ;), but I think we were both out by 9:00!

I have no idea what I'll get into today. I've been weighing the options, but it all depends on my mood. The kids both have friends coming over. I need to grocery shop and plan menus. I may try to get to the PA Dutch Market too. We could go swimming. And I definitely want to get in a WATP. Whatever we get into, it's a beautiful sunny day!

I get to move my ticker today! I've weighed three times and come up with three different weights, so I'm going to wait a while before I decide what number to go with. In any case it'll be a loss, which I haven't seen in a while!

cottage, aren't lazy Saturday mornings the best? Thanks to a cup of coffee after dinner, I stayed awake long enough!
loriann, great job on lowering the blood pressure! There's your motivation to keep going. You seem to have plenty of gumption to last for a while.
Cyndi, I've got to go back and read yesterday to find out about the lambs!
Ruth, it's so great to hear you sounding back to your self. I'm sure you'll be out and about before you know it.

I'm sure I'll check back in later, chicks. Have a good one!

tomandkara
03-01-2008, 10:00 AM
Schmoodle, you go with the lowest number that scale gave you! You deserve it after all your hard work!

Ruth, hope your friend finds your keys!

Cyndi, I'm wishing for some little bleating lambs to come meandering up your way!

Loriann, we'll see you through the 178 brick wall!!!

Linda, are your skies as bright and blue as ours? Looks like there's a bit of a breeze out there, but it was nice last night when I was walking to and from my sister's.

I'm trying to get the energy and sitter support to go out for a run this morning. Hopefully my mom will be able to come sit with the kids while they eat their breakfasts. My dad and brother are out at the ski slopes teaching lessons so I'm hoping she doesn't have big plans, or can at least work in a half hour for me. Then this afternoon is my niece's birthday party. I've already planned in a piece of cake, but I am going to be really good the rest of the day and I have a food plan all ready for tomorrow, so I WILL stay on track. This is like a mini-trial for when Tom gets home and I have five straight days of eating out and parties. Ugh. That is going to be just mentally exhausting!

Kara

GONNABE165
03-01-2008, 01:38 PM
Good Saturday afternoon!

I've tried so many times to get on here and post & had no such luck til now.

Dh & I got up early this morning and walked the 3 mile Asthma walk - great weather for it. Now we will spend the rest of the day at the grocery store & doing thigs around the house.

tomandkara
03-01-2008, 01:57 PM
Glad you enjoyed your walk, Gonna! Have fun at the grocery.

I did get in my run and am showered and just about ready to head out to the party. I'm going to grab my yogurt and blueberries and then we'll be set to go. Wish me luck!

Kara

Spiritmagejkt
03-01-2008, 04:26 PM
March in like a lion here. Blowing snow. Love the rain prediction they were predicting a trace of snow looks about 2 inches out there and it ain't slowin down. Started a new quilt today. Finished the placemats and napkins yesterday and something needs to be done with all those linens. I hate throwing them away so they're going into a couple quilts.

TechieGrrl09
03-01-2008, 04:48 PM
I cannot believe it is Saturday!

Loriann: Congratulations on the lowered blood pressure!
Ruth: I hope you find your keys. Being without your car is so inconvenient.
Schmoodle: Great job on the weight loss. :carrot:Keep up the good work. I am with Kara on this one, put the lowest weight!
Kara: I hope your sitter support comes through. I didn't realize that when Tom came in it was such a challenge. I know eating out is very challenging, and I have avoided parties like the plague. Keep thinking positively, by reading all your post you can get through it! I just read your most recent post and it looks like you got your run! :)
Gonna: Way to go on the 3 mile Asthma Walk! :cp:

Ruthxxx
03-01-2008, 05:36 PM
My keys are back but I can't drive out the lane until the lad ploughs. There's 8" of snow and I can't chance getting stuck. Oy!

tomandkara
03-01-2008, 08:15 PM
Jen, we need to start a 3FC South Beach quilting club!

TN, it's gonna be a doozy! The day he gets in, we have lunch out with his mom and then dinner out with close friends. The next day, we're having a family party at his dad's. The day after that is Palm Sunday at my grandparents. Then, his last full day is Monday and we're doing dinner out with his mom. My word! I'm going to check out the menus at the restaurants beforehand and choose what I'm going to eat while in sane mind, and then for the family parties I'm going to contribute something healthy and only eat what I've prepared. That's the best I can think of right now.

I did do VERY well for myself at the party today. I had a small piece of birthday cake, which was on my plan, and stayed away from the food table otherwise. I'm very proud of myself!

Kara

FluffyK
03-01-2008, 08:33 PM
Well, I didn't get out shopping tonight. DH took way longer than expected, and I didn't want to shop with 3 kids. The stress that can create (sometimes) is enough to make me want to eat a lot. Did I mention I'm a comfort eater? And a boredom eater? And a stress eater? And a happy eater? LOL...

But tomorrow I'm just going to keep it simple and have some plain eggs with cheese for breakfast. I'll shop after church, and hopefully go from there. Sometime about 2PM tomorrow I'm going to hit my wall of desperation, so I hope to have plenty of Phase1 snacks ready to go. If I can get through 2 days, I'll be good, I think.

DD9 like to run, just tried my treadmill and easily ran a 12 minute mile.. I can only do a 16 minute mile on a good day. When it warms up, maybe she'll be my running partner... ?

Kara, it sounds like a challenge coming up, but you have a great plan. If you mess up a little, you'll get right back on I bet.

tomandkara
03-01-2008, 09:03 PM
Fluffy, how old are your kids? Mine are 6, 3, and 1.5 and it's always an adventure shopping with them! I try to get them to "help" a lot. They put the fresh produce in the produce bags, pick out their own apples, decide between French-cut green beans and regular ones, choose which flavors of yogurt they want for the week, etc., etc., etc. Plus, we go to a grocery store here that has a train that runs along tracks above the dairy section and it's a huge hit! Good luck getting it done tomorrow!

Kara

FluffyK
03-01-2008, 10:52 PM
My kids are 11,9,6,4. Most days they're really good shopping, but with starting the SB, I know there would be some things I'm not quite sure where to find them. It's when I have to do things like that they tend to act up as I"m not keeping them involved. If I know where things are and what I'm getting, I just stand in the middle of the aisle and point, say "I need 3 cans of Hunts tomato sauce" and off one of them goes. I keep all four going until the aisle has been shopped, then we move on. It helps that my store is small, too.

tomandkara
03-01-2008, 11:32 PM
Our commissary in Korea just got these adorable little shopping carts that fit my three year old perfectly. They had flags that stood up high and said "Customer in Training"! It was the most beautiful way to keep her from being bored. 'Course, that meant that my six year old had to push a regular cart, so as to not be uninvolved. So, we made quite a caravan. Kadyn in front with her little cart (so she didn't run into anyone's heels). Me behind her pushing the baby in the stroller. And then Connor behind me with the big cart (that was usually empty, but he was pushing something so that's what was important).

I can totally see you in the middle of the aisle barking out orders! Too funny!

Kara

Barb0522
03-02-2008, 12:41 AM
Robert came over today and spent three hours getting a pickup load of his stuff. He still has a ton to get and now that he has gotten a storage unit he can pick up more stuff when he can next get a friend to accompany him. He isn't allowed to come over by himself because of the assault. I am glad he had Michael with him today because we also had to do the inventory and he wasn't being reasonable about the values and Michael talked reason into him. It looks like I'll probably have to pay him $1,600 because of stuff that I am keeping but it could be worse.

Brian got a chance to visit with Michael's fifth grade son which was good too. While Brian was with his Dad this afternoon, I managed a trip to Tandy Leather for stuff for camp, bought gas (ouch!) and got my car inspected. I had a crockpot of chili going all day so it made dinner easy.

Tomorrow is Faith Formation and church. Then I drop off Brian with Robert and head to the district warehouse to see how much archery stuff we need to order for camp. I THINK I'll have time to get grocery shopping done before it's time to pick up Brian.

Now it's late and we need to go to bed as soon as Chamber of Secrets finishes. I'm reading Sorcerer's Stone to Brian still.

Spiritmagejkt
03-02-2008, 08:23 AM
Kara I agree we need a quilting club. I wish I could find a pattern that I saw near Lancaster when I lived that way. It was called either Country Rose or Country Bride. It was a basket of flowers with ribbons and very stunning.

Had a major scare last night. I had an episode of Heart Arrythmia called Atrial fibrilition and ended up in ER. We had to drive through a snow storm. ( I trust my husband's driving more than an ambulance) They were able to get it to stop before they had to zap me with the defibrilator.
I am going to look through my labs this morning and see if I can figure out what the heck is going on. I never had an problems like that before.

I feel like I have a hangover this morning.
Extra motive to get the weight off. You won't see me straying til its down I'll tell you.

cottagebythesea
03-02-2008, 08:30 AM
:coffee: We slept in this morning, now Jake is rushing around getting ready so we can have breakfast with the gang. :D
I think Jake is going to go help a friend with some carpentry work this afternoon, so maybe I'll have a few hours to myself until the kids come over for supper.

It's sunny and gorgeous out there today! :)

cottagebythesea
03-02-2008, 08:32 AM
Yikes, Spirit! Are you okay? It sounds terrifying! I'm glad it stopped before they had to defibrilate you! :hug:

Spiritmagejkt
03-02-2008, 08:36 AM
I feel like the morning after the night before but otherwise okay. I can feel when my heart goes into the arrythmia. I just hope I don't have to go back. That doc was downright trigger happy she was disappointed she didn't get to play with the buzzer.

only1naked
03-02-2008, 08:51 AM
Happy Sunday, everyone! I fell off and vanished for a bit, but I am back on track, and in the grand scheme of things, I was still eating good at least 2/3 of the time, so my spirits are up and my scale still made me smile. Our treadmill has been broken and the weather has been so snowy and yucky that my exercising was non-existent. This weekend we got a new treadmill though, so I am ready for action! Congrats on all of your own successes and thanks for being such a great gang.

Ruthxxx
03-02-2008, 09:21 AM
Good Sunny Sunday Morning! :sunny: :sunny: :sunny:

Today is the day I get into my car and drive down to the store to gt a newspaper or milk or bread or anything just to prove I can. My lane is still not ploughed but I think I can just gun it and get out. The snow should start to melt today with all the sunshine.

No time to do personals for everyone but I do love this chatty group. I love reading about your families and kidlets and their adventures.

Spirit, I am in shock for you. Be careful! :hug:

A quilting group? Well, you can't eat when you quilt so it's not a bad hobby. :lol: I'm new to it since September but am completely addicted. I've always sewn a lot so do have those skills but there sure is a lot to learn about quilting. Luckily my "baby" sister is an expert and I can brain-pick from her a lot.

femmecreole
03-02-2008, 09:34 AM
Quickly running through to wish everyone a great Sunday...
have to go exercise, then tub, then hit the road..

We are having wonderful weather here, so took advantage of it yesterday and started putting our new little vegetable garden (http://www.kodakgallery.com/femmecreole/main/vegetable_garden?) together. The back yard looks really ratty right now after the freezes we had, but hopefully will be cleaned up soon. (Yeah, I know my fence looks awful too...we lost the "good" one in Katrina and decided to put up a wire fence and grow star jasmine on it...then if it ever comes down in a storm, we can just shove it back up. Hopefully the jasmine will fill in more this summer so it is eventually a solid wall of vines)

I am still waiting for 2 more of those black planter boxes that are on backorder and last night ordered a bunch of "exotic" veggies that we can't find locally. Hoping the boxes will be here before the plants are.

Today I am bringing my Mother back to Mississippi so she can have one more visit at the cemetery before she leaves to go back to North Carolina next week. My daughter is coming in on Thursday, My sister and her husband are coming in on Sunday, then they are leaving with Mama on Tuesday and daughter is leaving on Thursday. I decided to go ahead and take off of work next Wednesday so we can at least have one whole day together for a "girl day out".

Hope everyone has a wonderful Sunday!

tomandkara
03-02-2008, 11:27 AM
Hey, is that Mr. Cat out there mowing? Your garden looks like it's gotten a great start, and the fence looks so cute! I'm jealous of your short sleeve weather!

Linda, hope you got everything together for your breakfast at Cracker Barrel! I have yet to be there since we've gotten back. I still have to hit Wawa, the local bakery, and Bertucci's, too. Thank goodness we have twelve more weeks now! I can spread it out and plan it into my eating plan.

Jen, I hope you feel better soon and that you figure out what the source of the problem was! I hate "trigger-happy" doctors! That's why we had Avery at home.

Ruth, I'm praying for a safe and slip-free drive for you today!

Welcome back, Barbie! Glad to hear you got yourself back on track.

Barbara, I'm so glad Robert came to get his things, and that his friend was good enough to realize he was being unreasonable! Hope you get all your things done.

I've gotten my run in this morning and have had a healthy breakfast. Connor's off at Sunday School and the girls and I will leave in a couple minutes for church. Then there's grocery shopping on the way home (Wegman's is just a couple minutes from church so it's become my Sunday thing-to-do after service) and then I have piles of laundry to fold and put away. I don't so much mind doing the laundry, but it's the folding that is annoying. I'll put something on TV while the girls nap and just knock it out.

On track for another great day of on-plan eating!

Kara

femmecreole
03-02-2008, 11:39 AM
Yep, that's Mr. Cat, aka Terry. Mrs Terry loves to cut grass, but the "automatic drive" broke on the lawnmower and Mr. Cat has yet to bring it in to be fixed. So, until that time, Mr. Cat will be cutting grass!

Ruthxxx
03-02-2008, 11:54 AM
Gotta love the country! I decided to call Ed just in case he thought his contract ended March I.

Ed says he usually "packs 'er all away" to start work on [/i]"sirp"[/i] but "the run ain't goin'yet so just holler when yez want 'er done". Sounds like a semi-contract to me until the "sirp-makin" starts. Gotta love the Delta vernacular.

So I am ploughed out, am waiting for my pain meds to kick in and am going to drive to the store for the paper! I have part of my life back! What's next? A trip to a fabric store tomorrow? The Post Office? Where will it all end? :rofl:

I'm kind of glad I sold my maple acreage last fall or I'd feel I should be out there checking to see if it's time to tap although the days are still too cold. Sap runs best with warm days and cold nights.

little chick
03-02-2008, 03:30 PM
Hello chicks. just a quick pop in to say hello, I have been dealing with two mothers all week, from our dance fundraising group who stressing me out. I will be so glad when I am done with this. Shelby has two competitons left, one in April in Halifax and then one here in Saint John, in Nov. Then she will be done with the troupe competitve dance. She may still do some solos but I can finally wash my hands of these mothers, hopefully after the May show. As the home competiton is not alot of money and I really do not need to fundraise for that one. Can any one spell Murder.lol. I guess it is better to laugh than cry. And on top of it all I can feel the PMS starting. I should be in great form by mid week. Well gotta to dash and figure out how I am going to deal with these wing nuts. Enjoy your sunday chicks.

TechieGrrl09
03-02-2008, 03:36 PM
Spirit: take care of yourself, I hope you feel better.
Kara: sounds like you plan perfectly! :) I cannot believe you have three children. You look amazing.
femmecreole: I love your cat checking out the new garden and approving! :) How adorable.

I am excited about today. It still hasn't hit me that it is Spring Break. I don't think it will until I don't go to classes tomorrow. I should be getting my new phone on Tuesday. The milk phone works if you hold it just right, but the screen doesn't work, it doesn't charge, and it doesn't ring! Oh well. :) My toes are feeling a lot better. I ran out of pain medicine night before last and yesterday was unbelievable. I was in so much pain, and last night I had to sleep with nothing touching my feet. It was truly unbearable. Today I am doing so much better. I am still in pain but it is bearable, I can hobble around without crying. :) My husband is getting ready to drive to meet a classmate to take his last midterm for this semester. He is excited and is looking forward to enjoying his Spring Break. He is buzzing around the house doing all sorts of productive things while I am laying on the couch with the puppies. Boy it is making me feel a little unproductive.

I hope everyone enjoys this beautiful day!

FluffyK
03-02-2008, 03:48 PM
Good afternoon everyone. I am mid-way through my first day on Phase 1. Doing pretty well so far - not having any major cravings (yet). I just had a salad with avocado and tofu on it. I'm not a meat-lover, so I try to get my protein in with tofu, shrimp, crab and a little cheese. I'll eat meat, but my preferred way is with stuffing, rice or bread and that's OUT for me.... Got to the grocery store and bought a whole buncha stuff. I'm not following the meal plans, just bought stuff that was on the approved list and will go from there. If I go with my taste buds a little instead of the plan, I won't feel so deprived. I hope!

I have to figure out when I'm going to exercise. Church was at 8:00, and I have choir at 6:30, so I think I'll do it when I get home. Otherwise, I'd have to shower and do hair all over again and I'm just too lazy for that.

Kara - Wal-Mart in Quebec (vacation) has those little carts you mention. They are too cute, but definitely need some bumpers on them for everyone's heels. I'm with you on the laundry. I like to wash it and hang it on the line, but I hate folding and putting it away. About a year ago I started sorting by WHOSE clothes they were instead of color, and it works a lot better. I'll just fold the whole basket and make everyone put their own away. Since it's only once a week, I don't get many complaints.

Spirit - yikes! That sounds like such an ordeal. I hope your continued weight loss gets rid of those episodes. Will it?

Ruth - where in Ontario are you? I'm about 1/2 hour SE of Buffalo, NY. We used to travel quite a lot into Canada. Not so much now with gas and the dollar. We only go once a year now all the way up into Quebec. North Bay is halfway for us.

Femme - Wow, I am just dreaming of my garden now. It will be at least two months before I can put any seeds into the ground. Our asparagus will be ready to harvest this year, though!!! I have to plant my spinach and lettuce in the planters soon - they're early crops for us.

Time to go do some laundry!

I am anxious to get on the scale tomorrow. I've been a very good girl today and considering my recent eating habits, I should see a change.

My bodyfat % was 40% just recently. Hope that goes down, too.

tomandkara
03-02-2008, 05:05 PM
Cat, I certainly wouldn't be bugging him to get that lawnmower repaired any time soon! The only time I've had to mow the grass is when Tom was away at a school for six weeks and I was home with Connor and Kadyn (pregnant with Avery). It wouldn't have been so bad if I didn't have to get up so early to do it to avoid having two young ones underfoot.

Ruth, enjoy your drive and do be careful! You'll have to let us know when "Sirp" Season starts!!!

LC, good luck with the Wing Nut Crew! You crack me up!

TN, thanks for the compliment! You're sweet! Enjoy your spring break and I hope those toes start co-operating to give you some nice, relaxing days!

Fluffy, I'm glad you got to the store. I think the meal plans are a bit contrived, and I had a hard time following them because there was no built-in leftover night! I had a fridge full of leftovers and didn't know what to do with them until I realized I could just follow the guidelines myself. Duh.

The laundry still isn't folded. I conveniently "forgot" it in Kadyn's room and she's napping. Shucks. I'll have to do it later.

Got on line to get the black bean brownie recipe. I'm going to try it yet again...

Kara

Schmoodle
03-02-2008, 05:36 PM
Hello chicks! I am exhausted...
We had kids sleep over last night. And DD1 called from Arizona at 12:30AM where she was having some trauma, which got me worried enough to not sleep much more. I know I was up until 3. Then DH woke me at 8:30 for a phone call, which turned out to be the neighbor kid. Could have killed them both! Don't mess with my sleep!

Look at my ticker!!! I went with 2 lbs. down. Once the scale registered three pounds, but that was when it was sitting on an uneven place on the tile, so I went with two, although I was tempted. Just so relieved that it has moved at all. I'm starting to believe i might actually see the 80's again one day. Look Ruth! We are twins!

I made a pot of the lentil stew this morning and took it to my Grandma's to have lunch together, then we went swimming for a couple of hours (not my Grandma tho). Now we are all so beat from the exercise and lack of sleep, the kids are just lying on the couch. I think I'll go read for a bit or veg in front of the TV before I start dinner.

FluffyK
03-02-2008, 09:57 PM
YAY!!! I made it through day one of Phase I... wooo hoooo!

I even stayed at the opposite end of the meeting room where all the snacks were when choir was over, so I didn't snitch a bit! This is groundbreaking for me. I think I'm finally in the right mindset.

Downside - I didn't get to work out. It's now 9PM and very close to my bedtime. If I exercise now, I won't sleep and that's a problem. I'll do it tomorrow. Promise.

GONNABE165
03-02-2008, 10:51 PM
Wow you gals were chatty today. It was another busy one for me, my ating was perfect I did a 4 mile walk at the ball park this afternoon and now it's bed time.

Schmoodle I like that ticker - Cograts on your loss!!!

Spirit I hope your feeling better

Chat at yall tomorrow