Old 02-29-2008, 05:00 PM   #1  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

Height: 5'6"

Question Food Scale

I would like to buy a food scale. I don't want to spend a fortune, but I would like one that I can count on being accurate. Any suggestions? Thanks!
blueyedlvrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:14 PM   #2  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Get yourself a Bed Bath & Beyond or Linens N Things coupon. They each take their own expired coupons in this area.

I think mine was around $10 with the coupon.

I want to go get a different one. The one I have is about 5 yrs old and has served me well. However, I want a little bit bigger one that has a large display off to the side and can be easliy changed from oz to grams. That one will run more $$.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:23 PM   #3  
I wanna be a loser, too

Height: vertically challenged

Here are some links for you. I went into the Fishing For Deals forum and clicked on overstock there. You might be able to ask the overstock manager in the fishing forum for a special deal.

http://www.fishingfordeals.com/forums/index.php

http://www.overstock.com/search?keywords=food%20scale&taxonomy=&SearchType= HP_Header

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/sear...e&dim=1&nty=1&

http://www.lnt.com/search/index.jsp?...n%20scale&sr=1

Last edited by cbmare; 02-29-2008 at 05:26 PM.
cbmare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 05:52 PM   #4  
Low Carb Lolita

S/C/G: 185/see ticker/135

Height: 5'7"

The one I have, I think was about $60--but it has been SO worth it. The one I was using before that was a cheap $10 scale--not digital. The one I bought is digital, has a "tare" option and measures in ounces or grams

I got mine at Bed, Bath and Beyond.

Last edited by Azure; 02-29-2008 at 05:53 PM.
Azure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:22 PM   #5  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

I bought a digital scale too from Target, it was about $15. It has the tare option and does grams and ozs. I love it.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:39 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 198/183.2/130

Height: 5'5"

I also bought one at Bed, Bath... with a coupon and it works great. It's digital, and has both oz and grams and a max of 7 pounds I think. It was less than 20$.

Google Salter digital scale 7 pounds and you'll find it (it's round, metal on top)
RaluCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 06:43 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 195/172/135

Height: 5'4"

This is the one I use:

http://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/prod...1&SKU=13542210

It's only $40, and less with the coupon. It has everything I need: digital, tare button, weighs in grams and ounces. I've had it for about 3 years now and it's been great!
Forever42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:21 PM   #8  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

My recommendations on features to look for in a scale:
  • Go digital. Analog is clumsy and not as precise.
  • Look for a wide base that you set the food on to be weighed. The wider the better.
  • A "tare" button that lets you easily recalibrate the scale to 0 with a bowl, etc. on it.
  • Ability to easily switch between grams and ounces. The ability to provide liquid weights (liquid oz, ml) would be nice but not critical. My scale doesn't have the ability to weigh liquids and I haven't missed it that much.
  • An off switch would be really nice. My scale shuts off automatically after 3 min of no activity but there's no way to manually turn it off. So every time I weigh something, the scale is on for 3 min, even if I only use it for 5 sec. It seems like the batteries run down awfully quick.

My scale is a digital Salter that I got for about $30 (less with the 20% off coupon) at Bed, Bath, and Beyond. It's served me well. My first scale was a $5 analog Salter model and that was a disaster. Don't cheap out--I use my scale multiple times a day, every day. That and my salad spinner are the only two kitchen tools that I never put away. It was so worth the $30.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 09:46 PM   #9  
Maintaining :)

S/C/G: 215/117/120

I bought a Newline from Amazon

I really like it. Has oz and grams, tare feature, on-off button and I love the detachable bowl for weighing things that tend to roll.

Add something for $5 to your cart so that it qualifies for supersaver shipping.
CountingDown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 09:08 AM   #10  

S/C/G: 267/see ticker/139

I love my Salter - it has all the features that Barbara mentioned including an Off button.

It also looks nice so I leave it on my counter all the time which makes it easy since I weigh everything.

I've had mine 7 years and I am on my third battery and it keeps on going.
lorilove is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 04:34 PM   #11  
Constant Vigilance

S/C/G: 150/132/<130

Height: just under 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by lorilove View Post
I love my Salter - it has all the features that Barbara mentioned including an Off button.

It also looks nice so I leave it on my counter all the time which makes it easy since I weigh everything.

I've had mine 7 years and I am on my third battery and it keeps on going.
I am sooooo getting an scale with an off button the next time around! I've had mine for maybe a year and a half and I cannot count how many batteries I've gone through! It drives me nuts, not just because of the cost but because batteries are considered hazardous waste and require special disposal procedures. And it's really hard to take the battery in and out, so taking the battery out between uses isn't an alternative.
BlueToBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:05 PM   #12  
[url=http://www.3fatchick

S/C/G: 235/194/160

I have the Salter Scale too...it is great, it measures everything...carbs, fibre, protein, fat, calories...whatever...and it also weighs in grams and ounces and recalibrates at 0 with a bowl, plate whatever...i just put my plate on it, and start adding my food and voila...it adds it up...I paid much more than the numbers you guys are throwing out...but thats cause im in Canada, my guess is its the same one that Blue to Blue has....i got mine through Sears...
mamac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 05:14 PM   #13  
Ticker-free

S/C/G: 216/204.2/135

Mine is a digital from Wal Mart. used 4 AA,s has on on/off and turns itself off after 1 1/2 minutes. It has a tare button and came with a plastic bowl that has come in useful, although not necessary. The only beef I have is that the oz/gram switch is on the bottom. It's be nice to have it more accessible. I got it as a gift, so am unsure of the price, but my guess is under $30. 2 months now and I'm still on the orig batteries and I weigh everything.
perclady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2008, 12:09 PM   #14  

S/C/G: HW-300.2 GW-<175

Height: 5' 5.75"

I have the digital Good Cook brand from Walmart. Its around $31 or so. It has the tare, oz or grams and in the 5 years I have had it I think I've only changed the 9V battery 3 times. It has auto off.
zinkemomx2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2008, 06:24 PM   #15  
Expecting baby #1! 9/7/09

S/C/G: 320.2/273.2/160

WOW! Thanks everyone for your suggestions! I will check them out when I have more time. I appreciate everyone's help!
blueyedlvrgirl is offline   Reply With Quote