General Diet Plans and Questions General diet questions, support for various diet plans other than those listed below.

Old 02-29-2008, 03:24 PM   #1  
Work in progress

S/C/G: 165/ticker/120???

Height: 5'2"

Default McKenna- "I can make you thin"

I saw a preview for it on TLC. Anyone gonna watch it? Does anyone know what exactly it's going to be about? He says he can transform the way you think about food...
LittleMoonRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 03:45 PM   #2  
Weight Watcher

S/C/G: 170/168/145

Height: 5'6"

You can search for his book "I can make you thin" on amazon for author Paul McKenna and read the reviews. He already has a tv show in the UK, so perhaps the TLC one will revamp that one, or just broadcast as is?

Paul McKenna is a British hypnotist, and television personality. His career to date includes self-improvement television shows, giving seminars, producing books and multimedia products and performing hypnosis, neuro-linguistic programming and other personal development techniques. Many of his training courses and products provide tips for general life improvement. Other products and training are more specific, such as his course for assisting weight loss. (from wikipedia)
HiHoHiHo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:45 PM   #3  

Height: 5'4"

I'll Tivo it and see if I like it. I'm intrigued!
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2008, 04:53 PM   #4  
Ob-la-di, ob-la-da

Height: 5'2"

I haven't read his book, nor seen his show...I did read through all of the reviews of his book on Amazon and a synopsis of the book and the show. I don't think it hurts to learn all we can and have all the information in our head about losing weight...however, he's promoting a gimmick to make money for himself (but, that's OK too)...so if you're wanting another gimmicky type program to watch or book to read, then go for it. For me, I've read so many weight loss books and watched so many shows, I have all I need to know to be successful with losing weight and being healthy, I'm just applying it now...sometimes, you can go into information overload - which is where I was at. But, if what he says or what you read that he says works for you and helps you, then that's great!
Cheree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:01 AM   #5  
Finding My Bliss

S/C/G: Fit & Fat!

Height: Tall & Strong, Baby!

I think he's got a positive attitude, that he is supportive and motivational to many people.

Much of what he shares is common sense, is based on many popular beliefs about the power of ones' mind and listening to intuition. These are all good things.

That being said, I really don't like the format of the show, it has an infomercial feel to it. I also don't like that he isn't stressing anything about nutrition or health at all.

"Eat what you want" is one of his main ideas, and I think that may not be the best way everyone can get their nutritional needs met.
SoulBliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 10:33 AM   #6  

Height: 5'4"

I just got around to watching the first episode on Friday night, and I thought it was great. I'm also reading the book Intuitive Eating and I've been visiting the IE thread here, and it's a perfect complement to that. Basically, he's preaching intuitive eating but I think he's giving more concrete tools to use at first, like putting your fork down between bites to slow down and focus on how full you're getting. I'm even taking notes as I watch! I'm more impressed than I thought I would be.
Amy8888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2008, 01:38 PM   #7  
My Evolution

S/C/G: Size 26/Size 18/Size 8

Height: 4'11"

I am trying to make a decision whether to watch this show or not. He's a hynoptist. That makes me not want to watch the show. Though I am intrigued because it is Intuitive Eating which has worked for me in relation to my binge eating.

Soulbliss--I'm guessing he's not focusing on nutrition because it is not a diet.
Shay is offline   Reply With Quote