100 lb. Club - Less than a pound a week!

View Full Version : Less than a pound a week!

Goddess Jessica
02-29-2008, 04:12 PM
A year ago, I weighed 40 pounds more than I do today.

However, when I started I thought that less than a pound a week was ridiculously slow progress. But this time, when things didn't go my way, I just continued. In the past, I just gave up because the progress wasn't fast enough and then gained whatever I had lost.

Less than a pound a week.

A year ago, if you said, "You'll lose 40 pounds this year." I would have said, "That's not fast enough."

But today, I am 40 pounds lighter. I am thinner. I am healthier.

And it wasn't because I started a diet. I just continued. When I failed, when I tripped up, when I had a birthday or a holiday, I just continued. I didn't permit myself to quit and restart. I just continued.

So my progress isn't fast. It isn't brilliant. It's not a before and after picture like you see after 6 weeks on tv. But it's progress and I'm proud of it. Less than a pound a week is just fine by me.

Lovely
02-29-2008, 04:16 PM
:cp: :cp: :cp:

Standing ovation!

nelie
02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
Jessica,

Congratulations. I too have also been slow. Last year, I lost about 60 lbs which is little over a lb a week and I'm proud that I am a lot lighter than I was at the beginning of last year. Hopefully next year, I will be 40-60 lbs lighter this time of year but who knows. As long as the general trend is downward, I'm not really worried about the speed.

Beverlyjoy
02-29-2008, 04:27 PM
:bravo::cheer::bravo:

You rock, Goddess Jessica!

You get it....what all the books.....all the dieticians.....what all the doctors.....what all the folks with long term success say..... You kept on going.

I am so, so proud of you and happy for you...it's great!

SCraver
02-29-2008, 04:41 PM
:cp:

That is awesome!

I think 40 lbs. in a year SHOULD be looked at as rapid weight loss... I mean, think about it - If you gain 40 lbs. in a year - that would be considered rapid weight gain, right? So why is it any different in the other direction?

Sometimes, too, I think losing the weight is the easy part, The hard part is sticking with it when you are discouraged or have a set back.

Godess Jessica - you are awesome!
:woohoo:

Tonia
02-29-2008, 04:48 PM
:cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: CONGRADULATIONS JESSICA :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp: :cp:

Fabulous attitude ... Fabulous results!

LisaF
02-29-2008, 05:25 PM
And it wasn't because I started a diet. I just continued. When I failed, when I tripped up, when I had a birthday or a holiday, I just continued. I didn't permit myself to quit and restart. I just continued.

What a wonderful way to think about it. And it really makes sense, because we do that with all the other parts of our lives. If I gave up doing something everytime I failed or messed it up, I would no longer be driving, working, dating, walking... (Yes, walking. I sort of walk into things a lot.) We don't give up, we just continue. Of course eating well and taking care of ourselves should be the same way.

Lisa

valpal23
02-29-2008, 05:38 PM
I'm echoing what everyone else has said. Way to go, great attitude.. you're really onto something with the continuing! We can all learn from your example Jessica :broc: congrats on the loss :)

mandalinn82
02-29-2008, 05:50 PM
I think you're pretty much brilliant and awesome :)

rockinrobin
02-29-2008, 05:51 PM
A year ago, I weighed 40 pounds more than I do today.

However, when I started I thought that less than a pound a week was ridiculously slow progress. But this time, when things didn't go my way, I just continued. In the past, I just gave up because the progress wasn't fast enough and then gained whatever I had lost.

Less than a pound a week.

A year ago, if you said, "You'll lose 40 pounds this year." I would have said, "That's not fast enough."

But today, I am 40 pounds lighter. I am thinner. I am healthier.

So my progress isn't fast. It isn't brilliant. It's not a before and after picture like you see after 6 weeks on tv. But it's progress and I'm proud of it. Less than a pound a week is just fine by me.

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!

40 lbs lighter. 8 sacks of flour or 8 sacks of potatoes. That most certainly IS progress. Your approach is very refreshing and VERY wise and obviously WORKS!

I wish you continued success and may the next year be just as progressive. :smug:

BrandNewJen
02-29-2008, 05:59 PM
I think 40 lbs. in a year SHOULD be looked at as rapid weight loss... I mean, think about it - If you gain 40 lbs. in a year - that would be considered rapid weight gain, right? So why is it any different in the other direction?

EXCELLENT point! Wow--- very very well said. That definitely puts a new spin on things for me!

GirlyGirlSebas
02-29-2008, 06:27 PM
You rock! Slow and steady wins the race.:D

fiberlover
02-29-2008, 06:37 PM
Great attitude :bravo:

WebRover
02-29-2008, 06:51 PM
That's Awesome! You know the story about the tortoise and the hare. It's the stick-to-it-ness that's going to keep you successful through maintenance forever. Congratulations.

SwimGirl
02-29-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi Jessica! So glad to see you! Congrats on your mind set - and on the weight loss! But I really do have to say the mind set is a HUGE thing, you really are awesome! :)

-Aimee

suzie76
02-29-2008, 08:22 PM
Jessica,

I am so proud of you!

Hugs,
Sherry

famograham
02-29-2008, 10:20 PM
Me too!!!

Woman.....YOU ROCK!!!!

xoxoxox
:hug:
Linda

Nori71
02-29-2008, 11:10 PM
And it wasn't because I started a diet. When I failed, when I tripped up, when I had a birthday or a holiday, I just continued. I didn't permit myself to quit and restart. I just continued. I love this: "I JUST CONTINUED." I will remember this post. Very refreshing. Thanks!!

Nori71
02-29-2008, 11:11 PM
I love this: "I JUST CONTINUED." I will remember this post. Very refreshing. Thanks!!

Cassie501107
02-29-2008, 11:15 PM
LOVE that attitude!:carrot:

Jen415
03-04-2008, 04:26 PM
Holy Crap, Jess! You said EXACTLY what I needed to hear!

Thanks!!

Trazey34
03-04-2008, 05:16 PM
awesome, just awesome attitude!! it's one that's taken me a lifetime to achieve too !!! I recently hit 60lbs lost, and that seems like such an accomplishment to me, and I don't quite know how it happened....just chipping away at it a 1/2 pound at a time, not giving up, not thinking "all or nothing"....I know I could have done it a lot faster, but I don't think I would have been able to sustain it. Now I have a LIFE that doesn't centre around food, I can have a special lunch or dinner out, enjoy it, and make up for the excess by skimming a bit off the next meal....it's a happy medium....not "well I ate a lot at lunch i might as well have mcdonald's and icecream for dinner" . It's an amazing thing to feel some power and control over IT for a change LOL

Congrats on your progress -- and to anyone who's lamenting the slow moving scales -- just think of how far you'll be a year from now, or how much bigger you'd be if you weren't moving in the right direction, no matter what the speed!

yay!

barbygirl43
03-04-2008, 06:42 PM
How did I miss this!!!! That is such an awesome attitude. :bravo:

Hopefulpinkangel
03-04-2008, 07:57 PM
You are amazing!! :cheer2: 40 lbs is something to be proud of for sure!!

Eves
03-04-2008, 09:05 PM
Congratulations!!!

This is exactly what I needed to read. I've been feeling down about my slow weight loss when what I should do is take your attitude: I'm losing and not gaining, that's a victory.

Shy Moment
03-04-2008, 10:14 PM
As you can see from my ticker. I am losing about 1 pound a week. The first couple of weigh ins ( every two weeks ) I lost 4 pounds a couple of times and then that was it. 1 pound a week and that is it. I have been saying I am the turtle I am not the rabbit. That is ok. I weigh less today than I did 42 weeks ago. I have less to lose today than I did 42 weeks ago. For me, this is the best way. I have changed how I look at, think about and eat food. I don't do without a thing. I am in control, I am strong. I am the only one that can put something into my mouth or not put something into my mouth. I have encouragement from my husband. I have all of you that stand by me and encourage me daily. With God's help ( I give him a great deal of the credit ) I am where I am today.

KrisR
03-04-2008, 10:30 PM
Good job! And, mostly, thanks for sharing. My yearly weight loss was about 30 pounds and it feels so incredibly slow sometimes, but reading a positive slant on it like you've written, really gives me hope and encouragement. Thank you.

math puppy
03-04-2008, 11:47 PM
that was unbelivably sweet jessica.

joylove26
03-05-2008, 12:31 AM
What a great attitude. I will try adopting your attitude and hope it lets me be as successful as you are. :) I get way too disappointed if the scale doesn't go down fast enough.

traci in training
03-05-2008, 05:11 PM
I love your attitude. And also think about this - you can lose 40 more this year. You are in control - isn't that the best part?

BreakingFree
03-05-2008, 07:59 PM
Congratulations, Goddess Jessica! I always love your posts.

I started losing weight in 2002 (!) and am only now down about 70 lbs with 30-40 more to go. I have lost slowly and had long periods where I wasn't focussed on losing. The main thing is, I have not regained what I've lost.

Thanks for sharing an important point and your success.

better health3
03-05-2008, 11:26 PM
Thanks for sharing your progress with us. This is awesome. You are such an inspiration!!!!