Exercise! - March 1 C25K Starters Block!

View Full Version : March 1 C25K Starters Block!

Amarie2pt0
02-29-2008, 03:37 PM
Hi everyone!

I created this new thread to move all of us starting C25K on March 1 into an official start thread! Of course, lots of people have joined at various stages in the program... I hope you don't mind me calling it a "start thread," and that you keep posting all your wonderful tips and stories! Let post here on our progress, and motivate each other!

Here is the week one schedule for all us newbies, from the folks at coolrunning:

Workout 1
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Workout 2
Brisk five-minute warmup walk. Then alternate 60 seconds of jogging and 90 seconds of walking for a total of 20 minutes.

Workout 3

Thanks everyone for joining in!

Amarie

Amarie2pt0
02-29-2008, 03:48 PM
OK, thread officially started! :yay:

I am going to do day 1 Tomorrow, Day 2 Monday morning, and Day 3 Wednesday or Thursday - I'll be at a hotel, so it will be on a treadmill, and will depend on meeting schedule.

I need to remember to download the podcast from my 'puter to my mp3 tonight so that I am ready to go tomorrow. Anyone else going to use the training podcast?

Good luck everyone!

dixied
02-29-2008, 03:57 PM
Thanks for starting the new thread Amaire.

I'm not sure if I'll start tomorrow or Monday, it depends if I'm still sick or not, I suppose. :mad:

I've downloaded the podcast to the ipod, I think I'll resume at Week 1. I'd been doing the C25K but I've been out of commission for a couple of weeks. I'd managed to work my way up on the treadmill to doing one 4-minute run and a lot of 1 minute runs. Hopefully I haven't lost all my progress.

If the weather holds I'll move to running outside, I think that's easier with the podcast for me.

RaluCat
02-29-2008, 04:21 PM
Thanks Amarie!
I already started on the treadmill, but I'll consider that "treadmill-familiarization" training, as I've never run on it before.
I will also continue walking (hard!) after the 20 min of alternate run/walk, because I always try to get at least 40 min of cardio+5 min cool down. It can't hurt, right?

Good luck to all "potatoes"! I'm already sprouting!!

GirlyGirlSebas
02-29-2008, 05:12 PM
Okay...I'll be starting on my treadmill tomorrow. I'm going to do a modified C25K that lasts for an hour. It gives just a bit more time between "runs" as I really don't know if 90 seconds is enough time for me. I'm a very very slow turtle!

Amarie2pt0
02-29-2008, 05:43 PM
Rhonda - that sounds like a great idea. I have been a little worried about the short recovery periods. I'm going to give it a try, though...

chunkydunkin
02-29-2008, 06:32 PM
Hi all! I wanna play,too! I've been wanting to do this for awhile, but this thread has given me the push I need to get started. I'll be out there blowing in the West Texas wind! Best wishes to all us "runners"!

karmuz
02-29-2008, 09:09 PM
Hey all!
Due to the weather (I was planning to start outdoors) it looks like I WILL NOT be starting tomorrow. MY work schedule is also going to be absolute insanity for oh, the rest of forever, lol. I'm hoping the roads won't be TOO messy and it will be warm enough to start sunday and it looks like my week one is going to be a little extended... sunday, wednesday, sunday again because of work.
not the ideal every other i was hoping to do, but it is a start and hopefully i will catch up soon enough!

Diva
02-29-2008, 10:01 PM
Okay...I'll be starting on my treadmill tomorrow. I'm going to do a modified C25K that lasts for an hour. It gives just a bit more time between "runs" as I really don't know if 90 seconds is enough time for me. I'm a very very slow turtle!

I hurt my foot running yesterday so I don't know If I can do this with you all the first week or so, but when I do I will be doing it on Mon, Wed, & Friday's with weight training afterward. I'm a slow turtle too and will be doing the same schedule as Rhonda. If anyone is interetsed in a longer run here's the Hour schedule. :)
1 hour (12 reps):
Always start with 3 minute warmup walk then -

Week1 run 30 seconds, walk 4 mins 30 seconds

zinkemomx2
02-29-2008, 11:21 PM
I bought 2 (yes 2!) new pairs of running shoes on Thursday just for this. They were both so comfortable while I was running around the store I couldn't decide which pair to get. I'll be doing Saturday, Monday, then either Wednesday or Thursday.

mothermavis
03-01-2008, 12:55 PM
I made it thru Week 4 Day 1 this morning, go me, go me!
Here's a little happy thought for those starting out. I've only lost one pound this month while staring C25K but I believe that's because I am growing muscles because I lost 2 inches in my hips this month!!!

jamsk8r
03-01-2008, 02:30 PM
Holy smokes, Mavis! 2 inches in a month? :flame:

I just wanted to wish all of you good luck!

Cheryl

zinkemomx2
03-01-2008, 03:30 PM
Just got finished with W1D1. I did a 3 minute warm up followed by 8 intervals of jogging at 4mph and walking at 3mph. Then I did one minute at 5mph and a 7 minute cool down. 30 minutes total. 1.63 miles completed.

I bought new running shoes on Friday and they felt great other than the fact that I think I tied them to tight. My feet were starting to go numb at the end. :o

wennygrrl
03-01-2008, 04:40 PM
Okay, I am in with you guys! The weather is supposed to be nice until tomorrow late afternoon, so I think I am going to start my program OUTSIDE tomorrow and then day 2 on Tuesday and 3 on Thursday. These are my typical cardio days, so I think that will work out well. Good luck everyone!!

caitbeans
03-01-2008, 04:57 PM
I am going to try and start tomorrow, but if not for sure Monday. I've been battleing this horriable head cold and I feel I am almost over it! Goodluck to everyone starting!

Heffalump
03-01-2008, 06:21 PM
Oh, this is perfect! I wanted to start C25K this month anyway, so count me in from Monday. :carrot:

Also, yay for mentioning the Podcast, it's downloading as I write this!

FakeFrowns
03-01-2008, 07:16 PM
I'm going to join in! Though i will be doing my running on tuesdays, fridays and sundays to fit around my other activities! Good luck to everyone starting it! I might just beg my mom to buy me some new trainers as my others aren't exactly practical as they have velcro on them and it keeps catching when i'm on the cycle bike!
Bye bye :D

Amarie2pt0
03-02-2008, 03:24 PM
Wow! I just finished week 1 day 1! It kinda kicked my bum. I stretched out my recovery periods a little (a couple times while I waited for crossing light). Goodness - no wonder you get a rest day between! I didn't run yesterday like planned, so this week will be Sun, Tues, Thurs. I'm so proud of myself!

Rhonda - Your plan is sounding better and better! How did your first run go?

How about everyone else? Did all the newbies have a good start? Those who are further along - did you struggle a bit the first week?
Good luck to all!

Zen Pharmacy
03-02-2008, 09:24 PM
I am ready to drag on the tennis shoes tomorrow and maybe even my husband out.

He used to run track in high school and college, but was in a car accident and turned really sedentary his junior year.

I'm hoping I can get him back into running so I can have a buddy.

Andi18
03-03-2008, 12:33 AM
I am going to join ya here! I am a newbie to C25K and am going to start tomorrow. I'm planning on doing a 5k in May so I need to get moving on the training! Going to download the podcasts now!

mothermavis
03-03-2008, 06:57 AM
Amarie, I struggled the first week, actually, I feel every tie, like I am pushing myself. This week (4) was a big stretch for me. Just take your time and if you need to repeat, you can! I am working on day 2 of week 4 tonight.

Welcome Andi18, I remember you from a newbies thread a ways back, it's nice to see you again.

Hope everyone else did well, come back and share your glory!

dollypie
03-03-2008, 12:20 PM
Okay I am starting tonight! I am a treadmill runner though hopefully will start running outside later on though.

newbebop
03-03-2008, 12:40 PM
Newbie here, longtime lurker. I saw this thread about starting the c25k on march 1st and saw that as my sign to join in on the fun! ;-) today was my day 2 workout. the rest periods seemed shorter today. but the time still flew! I am excited about this and am so proud of myself! I told dh if I can make it through week 3 I might sign up for a 5k later this summer to keep me going.

:carrot: go me!

Amarie2pt0
03-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Hi all -

So I feel really good today (my rest day between wkout1 and 2). I'm aware of my muscles, so I know I worked them, but instead of feeling sore it feels pretty strong.

hi newbebop - I absolutely LOVE your screen name! I'm glad you joined us!

zinkemomx2
03-03-2008, 01:51 PM
w1d2 done! I bought two new pairs of running shoes for this adventure and I am not sure one of them is going to work out. After only a few minutes my legs were cramping and I had to stop to stretch, twice. I loosened them up a bit and kept plugging on. After my initial 30 minutes I changed shoes and the other pair is much more comfortable to run in. I did another 10 minutes in those with NO problems at all. As a matter of fact at one point I ran at 5mph and another I did 6mph.

I think I'll save the other shoes and use them for walking outside or WATP videos.

Total today was 2.31 miles in 40 minutes.

BlzMaxGnrCCJkMly
03-03-2008, 02:28 PM
way to go everybody for getting started on C25K I am in week 7 just did day one yesterday! its tough running 25 minutes but man what a rush when I finish and realize I CAN DO IT! good luck to all of you!

Diva
03-03-2008, 02:38 PM
Sigh....:(

I wish I could join you all. I just did 1 hour on the treadmill. Still trying to heal my foot, so I did 40 minutes 3.0-mph, then 15 minutes @ 3.5. I managed to keep the heart rate up where it needed to be. No running today. Then I lifted weights for about 10 minutes. I rehurt the foot and now it hurts worse than it did before and the nerves in it is making my leg & Foot jump and move all by itself. I think I need to call the doc. No running ever????? sniff sniff. I am totally bummed out. I can't even walk into the kitchen to get Lunch and I am starving now. It hurt to use the brake in the car driving home.

Someone at the GYM said he bought new shoes for running too and had ALL kinds of troubles, so he washed his old faithfuls and has had no problems. Soooooo I am gonna wash mine and if I am feeling better Wednesday, or whatever day, I'm gonna try on my old sneekers. I'll use these new ones for whenever and the old ones for running and see what happens. I may have to go spend big bucks for "specialty" shoes, and that's have to wait until the end of this month.

Heffalump
03-03-2008, 05:53 PM
Week 1, Day 1!

Yay, that felt good. I did it on the treadmill with 4.0mph walking, 5.0-5.2 running, and it was the perfect workout for me at this point. I did add 15 minutes of hill walking afterwards, though, because I had some steam left :D. The podcast made it all go by in a flash.

@Diva, ugh, that sounds really horrible. I hope your foot going to heal really quickly... :hug:

Andi18
03-03-2008, 09:28 PM
Welcome Andi18, I remember you from a newbies thread a ways back, it's nice to see you again.

:wave: It's nice to see you again as well!! Wow, any advice for starting C25K since you are on week 4?!

Diva your foot sounds painful. I hope it is something the doc can help with the pain...maybe some physical therapy?

mothermavis
03-04-2008, 07:10 AM
Andi, No real advice, just keep on keeping on. I am running on the treadmill because it's to icy here to run outside. It's a bit boring some days, but I feel so good when it's done!!
I would recommend good shoes though. I found when I used to run (years back and never fast) that when my knees or hips hurt, it was usually because my running sneakers were getting worn. I haven't tried the C25K podcast's because I don't have an ipod, but they sound neat.

Diva, I hope you feel better soon, it does sound like you need to see the Dr. It could very well be the shoes, I know I tried lost of different kinds and have found that one brand is much better for my comfort than the rest.

Heffalump - great job!

Newbebop- good for you. A 5k at the end is an awesome goal!

I made it thru Day 2 of Week 4 last night on the "dreadmill" :carrot:

Andi18
03-04-2008, 07:47 AM
I just bought some new Asics GT2120s 2 weeks ago. I was wearing some old cross trainer New Balances that were starting to hurt my feet when I was on the treadmill. I also unfortunately have to be on the http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_141.gif until the temperature warms up. Thankfully I have a 24 Hour Fitness membership and the treadmills are in the back of the gym so I have other things http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_9.gif to stare at to keep my focused. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_18_7.gif

Last night I completed 30 minutes of W1D1!! and then I ended up completing the hour on the treadmill at a 3.2 mph pace. My left knee (had surgery on it 3 years ago) started to hurt but I pushed through it and it was okay when I finished.

Zen Pharmacy
03-04-2008, 09:15 AM
The weather was bad enough when the husband got off work yesterday that we decided not to go back out to the indoor track.

Oh well, no time like today to start.

caitbeans
03-04-2008, 10:24 AM
I did week 1 day one today and I feel great!! I went 2.5 miles, and walked for 5 minutes before and 5 minutes after the 20 minutes of jog/run. I hope (will) to do day 2 Thursday and Day 3 Sat.! I am so glad I am feeling better- it is nice to get to that gym and work that stress out of my body.

I am going to invest in some good shoes..anyone have any recommendations?

Amarie2pt0
03-04-2008, 01:18 PM
Hi! Just finished W1D2 this morning :yay: I had a snaffu with my podcasts one of the times I stopped to wait for the light to turn - I went to push pause and accidentally pushed the restart. Sigh, so then I tried to ff to where I had been, but its really hard to do that on a shuffle! I think I may have ended up doing an extra interval...

Anyway, it was easier this time for me. I still had to push to finish, but was not quite so beat afterward.

Caitbeans - if you have a specialty running store in your town that will fit shoes for you, thats my suggestion. I know the major chains say they will fit shoes, but the difference is night and day, believe me! We have a little specialty store here in my town - the owner is a runner and coordinates all kinds of community runs. He helped me get a really great pair of shoes that fit my foot and helped alleviate strain. I can't always afford to buy my shoes there, but at least now I know what brand/style works for me, and I watch for when he or the chain stores have them on sale.

Mothermavis - "dreadmill" too funny! :lol: I will be on a dreadmill for my final run this week. Hope I don't get too bored.

Luck all!

mothermavis
03-04-2008, 11:32 PM
I agree with getting them fitted at least once if you can. That being said, Nike Air Pegasus are my faves. Go at the end of the day though with your feet tired and swollen from the day. My running sneaks are a half size larger than my everyday shoes, although when I find wide width I buy them. Feels much better at the end .

newbebop
03-05-2008, 11:53 AM
ok, so today was w1d3! I am so happy to have made it through the week. I don't know how I will wait till sun to start week 2. :carrot:

I am on the treadmill till warmer weather arrives. I think I will try to figure out the podcasts for next weeks run/walk. I have to get the mp3 version and I have been having some trouble with it.

Keep up the great work ladies!

Heffalump
03-05-2008, 12:01 PM
Just finished W1D2 and loved it. This time I also remembered to bring my sports bra, which greatly improved the experience... :dizzy:

:carrot:

karmuz
03-05-2008, 01:11 PM
Well, I finally got fed up with the weather (pouring rain out here on the east coast)
no gym membership, so i improvised this morning and did W1D1 on my mini tramp. that was TOUGH because i'm not so good at running in place (almost ran off the tramp more than once lol) and i had to keep my balance which i'm not always so good at. but i feel great and i made it through the whole thing, which made me feel great - i haven't been so good about getting up and exercising since i had to give up my gym membership. I could, i guess, do it in place on the floor but i wanted a little extra. here's to hoping it's warm enough and not POURING by next week.

dixied
03-05-2008, 01:37 PM
I still haven't managed to start. I was going to try and start week 1 tonight, but I'm still fighting this cold. It's hard enough to breathe right now without adding running to the mix.

Diva
03-05-2008, 01:53 PM
I just bought some new Asics GT2120s 2 weeks ago. I was wearing some old cross trainer New Balances that were starting to hurt my feet when I was on the treadmill. I also unfortunately have to be on the http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_141.gif until the temperature warms up. Thankfully I have a 24 Hour Fitness membership and the treadmills are in the back of the gym so I have other things http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/10/10_6_9.gif to stare at to keep my focused. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_18_7.gif

Last night I completed 30 minutes of W1D1!! and then I ended up completing the hour on the treadmill at a 3.2 mph pace. My left knee (had surgery on it 3 years ago) started to hurt but I pushed through it and it was okay when I finished.

Okay, you made me bust out laughing here! I use the treadmill in the back too, it's my persoanl favorite and I too find myself checking men's booties and muscles and stuff, lol! We are 2 peas in a pod in that aspect! :D

GirlyGirlSebas
03-05-2008, 07:53 PM
:yay: I'm on board! Just finished day 1, week 1 of the 13 week C25K program. I'm sitting here with a forehead beaded with sweat and feeling very very exhausted, yet I feel exhilirated at the same time! I know you all understand.

mothermavis
03-05-2008, 08:02 PM
WTG Girlygirl! I do know, I just finished week 4, I am flushed & happy

Heffalump- definitely the girls need their comfort. Running is miserable otherwise!

Karmuz - Now that is dedication, good for you!

Newbe bop- Good for you on finishing week 1

Diva, hope you are feeling better!

ahill1979
03-05-2008, 08:11 PM
I did Day 1 Wk 1 on Sunday night. I am about to go and do Day 2. Yay! I am excited that so many of us are doing this together.

Diva, I hope that your foot is better.

Zen Pharmacy
03-05-2008, 09:20 PM
Dixie, don't feel bad I've been slacking too.

I have midterms this week and whenever I do get a spare moment I just want to nap.

I had made plans to start today, but there was a blood drive. I'm a sucker for a free t-shirt and juice, so I figured it would not be a good idea to start with any running today.

Andi18
03-06-2008, 01:07 AM
Okay, you made me bust out laughing here! I use the treadmill in the back too, it's my persoanl favorite and I too find myself checking men's booties and muscles and stuff, lol! We are 2 peas in a pod in that aspect! :D

LOL Talk about being depressed tonight when I was running on the treadmill tonight. I didn't have anything to keep my attention ahead of me. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/4/4_14_6.gif I was able to finish W1D2 but could have really used the encouragement ahead of me. http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/36/36_1_20.gif Tomorrow night I will be going to boot camp so I will get to :drool: @ the leader ;) Gotta watch myself though as his fiance is also one of the leaders of the boot camp :lol:

Amarie2pt0
03-06-2008, 06:38 PM
Hey everyone!

Andi, you crack me up! Hahaha. Maybe the bootcamp fiance gets a kick out of people ogling her fiance. Who knows?

I just did W1D3, and I liked it so well, I kinda want to do it a 4th time before moving on. Would that be wrong? I was on the dreadmill, but that didn't phase me one bit. In fact, it was kinda fun seeing my rate and HR. I did the walking at 3.5 and the runs at 5.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Quick poll - do people want to keep using this thread or have seperate weekly ones?

Andi18
03-06-2008, 08:20 PM
Hey everyone!

Andi, you crack me up! Hahaha. Maybe the bootcamp fiance gets a kick out of people ogling her fiance. Who knows?

I just did W1D3, and I liked it so well, I kinda want to do it a 4th time before moving on. Would that be wrong? I was on the dreadmill, but that didn't phase me one bit. In fact, it was kinda fun seeing my rate and HR. I did the walking at 3.5 and the runs at 5.

Keep up the good work everyone!

Quick poll - do people want to keep using this thread or have seperate weekly ones?

Amarie she is probably used to it as they are both former TBL contestants. Unfortunately I just found out hubby won't be home in time for me to go tonight so I will have to wait until next Tuesday to oogle.

I will probably do 4 days on Week 1 as well. I don't think there is anything wrong with that as you are bettering yourself. I have been doing walking at 3.2 and runs at 4.6 You are doing awesome!

As for the thread, I think one thread is fine as there is a bit of interaction, but no enough where we would get lost.

caitbeans
03-06-2008, 08:46 PM
I did day 2 today! I feel great. Except, I wore sweats that I haven't worn in forever and I had to hold them up when I was running!! Time for new sweats!! I will either to day 3 Sat. (hopefully) or Monday!

mothermavis
03-06-2008, 10:22 PM
I was just looking ahead, I am starting Week 5 on Saturday. I am taking 2 days rest from the end of week 4.
I think I need the extra day before I start the next week as my knees sometimes protest. Other than that I try to run every other day.

I am pretty excited because the next 2 weeks mark the end of the walking breaks. By the end of week 6, it's all running..we are going to be runners, isn't that cool?

Andi18
03-07-2008, 07:46 AM
caitbeans ~ you are losing inches! Yeah!! Congrats on having to buy new sweats! Sorry to hear you had to run and hold the old ones up. I am going to be doing Day 3 tonight probably and then start Week 2 on Monday.

MotherMavis ~ Wow!! Almost to the running solid! That is awesome! I hear ya on the knees protesting. You are doing great!

newbebop
03-07-2008, 11:30 AM
ok, I did it. I went ahead and did a 4th week 1 workout. I must say it was a bit harder, but not sure if it was the workout or my state of mind. we'll just say I needed the workout. ;-) But the time did go lots quicker.

rhonda, I know EXACTLY what you mean. I love that feeling.

♥betsy

NoVaVTFan
03-07-2008, 02:08 PM
Hi everyone! I love reading everyone's posts about C25K! I started it on January 2, and I'm now at the end of week 7 which is 25 minutes straight running. I did weeks 1-6 straight through, and didn't repeat any workouts, but I am taking my time with weeks 7-9. I find that running for 25 minutes is still kinda hard, so I ran one time 25 minutes straight, then my next session I ran for 15, walked 5, ran 10, walked 5. Then next time, another 25 minutes, and so on. For me, it's still kinda hard to run for that long, so I figure if I just break it up and continue at it, it will get easier. I'm gonna try to move on to week 8 soon which is 28 minutes running, and then week 9 is 30. I'm pretty sure I can do it, it just takes time. So, if you guys repeat workouts, I say go for it! Sometimes only 3 workouts isn't enough to feel comfortable running for that amount of time, so why not break it up and just do it as you can? I have to say, c25K has totally changed my body - I haven't lost that many pounds, but I've gone done 2, almost 3 pant sizes since I started in January. C25K is awesome!

Heffalump
03-07-2008, 11:25 PM
W1D3 - OK, today was not so shiny. It's not that I got out of breath or anything, but I couldnt really get into the flow of things and also felt quite exhausted afterwards. There were reasons for this - wonky treadmill, packed gym, sore muscles from yesterday, less than ideal eating... ugh, no wonder! Plus, my next-treadmill neighbor was running so, erm, vigorously that it felt like running in earthquake-like conditions... :dizzy:

I did manage to go up to a whopping 6.0mph for my last running interval though (thus approximating maybe half the speed of said runner - that guy was insaaaane, I tell ya!)

Anyway, looking forward to starting W2 on Monday! :D

@NoVaVTFan, wow, your results so far sound great! :carrot: Way to go - and good approach to take as much time as your body needs to adapt. Can't wait to get into the higher numbers! :)

Andi18
03-08-2008, 12:54 PM
I completed W1D3 today!! It felt so good! I didn't feel like I was going to die on the treadmill! I ended up doing 3.5 MPH walks and 5-5.5 MPH jogs. The first 2 days I was doing 3.2 and 4.5.

BernerDoc
03-08-2008, 03:57 PM
Hi All -

I just decided to start C25K today so I hope you don't mind my jumping in :-) I wasn't so sure I'd make it through the last interval but I did it! I'm excited about this! I've really been serious about exercise since the first of the year, doing about an hour of cardio 4-6 days a week but I think this is going to add a whole different dimension for me. Yay!

happyteacher
03-08-2008, 04:15 PM
where do I get the pod cast that was mentioned in this thread?

Andi18
03-08-2008, 05:51 PM
There are a few different places you can download the podcast.

http://www.djsteveboy.com/intervals.html

http://www.steverunner.com/

http://jogtunesindie.com/

You can also download podcasts from iTunes.

zinkemomx2
03-08-2008, 10:47 PM
I did w1d3 today. My treadmill only has one display and it rotates between speed, time, distance, fat calories, and calories. It takes about 18-19 seconds to scan through them. I am tired of trying to watch the clock so I am just going to run for as long as I can and then recover and keep doing that. I've been figuring out my average speed so as long as I continue to improve I'm just going to keep doing things my way for a while. If I start to even out without any progress I'll probably find a comparable week and jump in then.

Amarie2pt0
03-10-2008, 04:50 PM
Hi all!

So I guess I took 3 rest days between week 1 and 2 - not what I had intended. Yesterday turned into a comedy of errors about me trying to get my run in, so in the end I put it off to today. So Week 2 will be Mon Wed Friday! Hows everyone else doing?

Amarie2pt0
03-10-2008, 04:51 PM
Hey zinke - how about a kitchen timer? My friend used one on her treadmill and said it worked really well!

Heffalump
03-10-2008, 06:40 PM
Did W2D1 today - whew, challenging but good. Got my heart rate way up there, but that might have been due to me having the jitters all day anyway...

caitbeans
03-10-2008, 06:47 PM
I did Week1Day3 today, it felt great! I was running to free bird and kept loosing track of time! I will start week 2 on Wednesday..but we are going to visit the inlaws on Friday until Tuesday so i might do week 2 for two weeks becuase I don't know how consistent my runs will be? We're going to Columbus, OH, where they just got 14 inches of snow so I don't know how much fun running outside will be.

dixied
03-10-2008, 07:24 PM
Okay, I finally got re-started. I didn't bother with the podcast, I just listened to whatever came up on the ipod. I ended up jogging 90 seconds and walking 60 seconds in intervals for 20 minutes since I thought that was how week 2 went. I guess I should have looked it up before I left for the gym. Since I know now that I can do that much, I think I'll stick to that for this week and then move onto week 3. Not bad for a chick that's still fighting a cold. :cp:

Caitbeans - Brrr! I have relatives near Columbus and they were telling me how everything was shut down due to snow. Be careful if you decided to run outside.

Heffalump - I hate treadneighbors like that. My favorite machine is all by it's lonesome, but it faces the huge window overlooking McDonalds. However, I always feel so superior running on that machine. "Look at me running; look at you woofing down fries." :D

NoVaVTFan - Almost 3 sizes since January. Dang that's inspiring!

Zen - How did mid-terms go?

Time to leave work~woohoo!

Diva
03-10-2008, 10:24 PM
I'm baaaaaaaaaack!

I guess it REALLY is all about the shoes! I Finally got back to the GYM today and since I was short on time and a little scared to rehurt the foot again, I went back to the c25k week 1, day 1 and just did 30 minutes rather than the hour I was doing. OMG! it's amazing how lazy one can get in just a week. My legs were screaming at me, but I did it and I am happy to report that my foot is absolutely fine. My old faithful tennis shoes served me well. :D I'm happy.

Andi18
03-10-2008, 10:46 PM
Diva, so glad to see ye old faithful shoes did ye well!!

I was going to start W2D1 today however I ended up coming down with a horrible cold Saturday afternoon and constantly am either blowing my nose or sneezing so running on a treadmill IS NOT in the plan for this evening. :( Tomorrow I'm hoping to get to boot camp, we'll see how I am feeling.

Amarie2pt0
03-10-2008, 11:48 PM
Hi gang!

Diva - I'm so glad your foot held up OK! Yay!

Andi - get better soon, I think you made the right choice not to push it today!

Yay dixie and heffalump and everyone else! Keep it up gals!

I did W2D1 today after work. Wow - that last 90 second was tough! I'm so excited to do it again Wednesday.

caitbeans
03-11-2008, 07:03 AM
Diva--I am so glad your foot is better!! yay!!!

Diva
03-11-2008, 08:21 AM
:D Thank you everybody. I am glad too! I can feel my muscles in my legs growing now! I haven't felt or seen muscles in my theighs for a very long time! I'm also down 2 lbs from yesterday, go figure...lol!:dizzy:

newbebop
03-12-2008, 11:56 AM
w2d2 here and still in it. :D I had a rough start to week 2 and when I tried to start on Sun. I just felt funny, I kept stumbling and dizzy, 3 sets in I had to just walked the rest, I was discouraged, but hopeful that it was just a fluke. I tried again Monday and it was SO much better. I am glad that it was just an "off" day and not something else. Not that the run was easy, ;-) but such a difference from my first attempt. now that I have a few days in I am excited again about my progress. :carrot:

How do you all finish up? do you alter the intensity of your running, how long do you cool down walk for, and when(how) do you do your stretching. I am new to this concept and feel so awkward.

~betsy

Diva
03-12-2008, 03:00 PM
W1D2 (repeater) and it was AWESOME! Of course my legs are STILL screaming at me, but it felt great. My face got all kind of red though and I was sweating like crazy! :D I am sore all over I tell ya! from the c25k, and working out with weights...EVERYTHING is hurting, lol, but it's a good hurt.

Amarie2pt0
03-12-2008, 05:17 PM
How do you all finish up? do you alter the intensity of your running, how long do you cool down walk for, and when(how) do you do your stretching. I am new to this concept and feel so awkward.

Well, I'm no expert, but my track coach told me never to stretch cold, so I stretch sometimes when I'm waiting for the traffic light, and then after I'm done. I just try to stay really loose when I run so that nothing gets too tight. As to cool down - I walk outside, so I cool down after the 5 min until I get home :lol: As to intensity, I am not going for speed, so I run at what I think is a comfortable pace. Usually the last interval(s) are a real push for me, so I suspect they may be slower.

How about anyone else?

GirlyGirlSebas
03-12-2008, 11:33 PM
Hi Everyone! I've been a bit off my wagon lately....with my eating plan and working out. But, I'm ready to get back on-plan and moving again, so I'll be re-starting week 1 tomorrow. Arrgggh.....I frustrate myself! Glad to see so many of you moving on with this program and enjoying yourselves. Ain't running great?

caitbeans
03-13-2008, 07:03 AM
Well I do my weight training before cardio, so I do that, then I start with my C25K. I am running at a 5.8 and walking at a 4.1 I tried going slower at the run but I felt like I was going to fall over myself. I ususally walk for the 5 min and then strech, or walk for the 5 minutes and do other cardio before streching.

mothermavis
03-13-2008, 07:59 AM
I did week 5 day 2 yesterday. I actually ran outside for the 1st time this spring. It was so much more interesting!!
It was a 5 minute WU then 8 m running 5 walking another 8 and done, and then I walked the 7 minutes back to my car. Next time is 20 minutes running. I think I can.....

newbebop
03-13-2008, 08:32 AM
Thanks. I have an older treadmill where I change the speed with a dial. so my speeds are not as consistent. when I entered week 2 I did have to cut back a little on the speed. I usually do the first run the slowest to get a feel for how my body is responding. the last run I do for just a little bit longer. this week I have been running till the end of the song on that last set. Then it is usually a 5-10min walk to finish up. Then, because I have always been slacking on the stretching, I put on a good slower song and I just do some assorted stretches at LEAST until the song is over. Its working. :D Since I can feel such a difference in my pace and mood depending on the music, I think I want to try to mix my own line up, for next week. :carrot:

~betsy

Heffalump
03-13-2008, 09:55 AM
W2D2 yesterday - it was hard in the beginning but got a lot better! But I still think I might repeat either this week or next week... let's see how day three turns out tomorrow...

@Rhonda: way to go for getting on the horse again! :carrot: This plan indeed is so much fun. And sometimes when you struggle it's just good to have a structured plan like this, so it's not even a question of "hmmm, what am I going to do today?"

@Betsy: I also use the treadmill - and I also start slow and try to up my speed a little with every interval. My first run is 5mph, and if I feel I'm in good shape my last one is 6mph. I've slowed down the walking a bit - I was at 4.0 the first week but now walk between 3.7 and 4.0 depending on exhaustion.
I cool down with a 5-10 minute walk or sometimes add 15 min. of low/medium impact cardio, such as rowing or a stroll on the elliptical, for variety. I also recently rediscovered how much I looove stretching, so it's not a problem for me to do my 10-15 minutes afterwards - though I usually forget to stretch before the workout. :)

@mothermavis and others who switched from inside to outside running: how much harder is it for you to complete the program outside if you're used to the ol' dreadmill? From past experiences I know that I'll probably have to start over again or at least go back some days once I start running outside... :^:

Amarie2pt0
03-13-2008, 01:11 PM
Hi all!

W2D2 yesterday for me, too. It was a pretty rough go... I'm thinking that I'll be repeating week 2 as well. I just felt like I was pushing so hard the whole time, and I didn't really get into the runners high until halfway through the last interval. Plus, instead of stopping and waiting for lights, a couple times I was able to catch them by running a little faster - maybe that accounts for why it was so much harder?

Rhonda - good to see you. We were missing you! In fact, I was tempted to go track you down on another forum yesterday and drag you back here :lol: Ok, really I'm not a stalker :lol: Just glad you're back with us. I am guessing that repeating and restarting will be the name of this game often. Running is great!

Heffalump - haha. Sounds like you and I had similar runs yesterday. Its nice to see you might be repeating Wk 2 too. I'll wait and see how Day 3 goes, but I think I've decided that I won't move on until I really feel comfortable in the current week's plan.

Betsy - wow, mixing your own would be cool. I've thought about it, but I'm pretty much technologically incompetent. I really like the music mix on the wk 2 podcasts, though.

How's everyone else doing?

mom2jackandnick
03-13-2008, 06:03 PM
Hi everyone. I started the program yesterday. It was so nice outside that I finally took the plunge. I was actually surprised that I could run as much as I did. I'm glad I read this thread first so that I knew about the podcast, it made the time go by so fast.

Diva
03-14-2008, 02:09 PM
Just finished W1D3 of the c25k! :woops: I've also entered ONEderland as of today!!!! WoooHoooo!:dancer:

Amarie2pt0
03-14-2008, 03:30 PM
Whoot!:woohoo: Congrats Diva on making it to Onderland!

This calls for a produce party!

:carrot::carrot::cb::broc::broc::cb::carrot::carro t:

newbebop
03-14-2008, 06:08 PM
Diva that is SO exciting. Congratulations!!! I hope to be joining you VERY soon. last unofficial check I was down to 207.....Way to go!

:carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::carrot::c arrot::carrot:

~betsy

newbebop
03-14-2008, 06:12 PM
w2d3 today, I can't believe I made it. I will deffinatly be doing at least one more week 2 workout before I move on. I may even repeat the week, we'll see. Keep up the great work ladies.

~betsy

Andi18
03-14-2008, 08:02 PM
I've slacked off this week ladies :( I'm hoping to do W2D1 or W1D3 again as I have been sick all week long. Horrible chest congestion, coughing, ... It's starting to get better but I don't want to go to the gym and spread my germies as that is probably where I got it from in the first place. I'm going to try it tomorrow though, gonna set a reminder to go to the gym tomorrow morning to get back into this. I need to! I've got a 5k coming up in mid May!

Diva
03-14-2008, 08:59 PM
Thanks Y'all. :D Hope I stay here!

Andi I hope ya feel better soon. :hug:

BernerDoc
03-14-2008, 09:49 PM
I repeated W1 D3 today (Started last Saturday) and it went really well. This week has been a "figuring out how to run a decent stride on the treadmill" since I've never been a runner before. I've figured out a few things - I need a longer warmup, so I do 10 minutes instead of 5, usually at 3.5 with an incline of 4.5, then drop it down to start the intervals. I've also realized that it's easier for me to run faster than I thought I could. On Monday and Wednesday I was trying to 'run' at 5.5 and it was killing me. Today I kicked it up to either 6.0 or 6.5 and it was much, much easier (gack - did I just say running and easier in the same sentence??)

Not sure if I will start W2 on Sunday or not...but I probably will.

Amarie2pt0
03-15-2008, 01:07 AM
W2D3 today - wow that was MUCH better! I'm going to keep at week 2 at least once more, but day 3 was so much easier (Oh my! Berner I think I did it too!). :lol:

The only thing I didn't love was that I ate a fairly large dinner before my run - word to the wise: don't.

Heffalump
03-15-2008, 10:49 AM
@Me_Amarie: :D And so our mirror-experience continues! I did W2D3 yesterday and it was so, so much easier for me, too. I think I'll try to go on with week 3, though, because while the 90 sec. are still pretty challenging I started to get a little bored with the 2 min. rest period. On the other hand - I don't know if I can really run 3 min. already... guess I'll find out Monday... :)

Andi18
03-15-2008, 11:13 AM
Diva, congrats on making it to Onederland!!! :bravo:

I am feeling better today. I broke my fever last night and woke up in a major sweat. I don't know which was worse, the breaking the fever or doing W2D1!!! I did it!! Woo-Hoo!! I almost had to stop during the last jogging interval though as I started to feel light headed, thankfully it was the last interval so I made it ok and was able to do a 30 minute cool down on the dreadmill ;) Yep, a full hour on the http://smileys.smileycentral.com/cat/7/7_5_141.gif

Anyone have a good recommendation for a Heart Rate Monitor? One that does not require the chest strap.

mothermavis
03-15-2008, 02:49 PM
Andi, feel better soon. I know how you feel, I had it last weekend, then we got a major ice storm, no power for most of the weekend, altogether, not one of my best, but back on track this week except for food, not good with food....lots of food issues...

Heffalump, I actually found the outside running very enjoyable (for exercise) lots more to look at, our treadmill is in the garage so view is limited...but it snowed again last night, so today I did the last workout of week 5, a 20 minutes run with no walking on the dreadmill..boring!! But I did it. I think I need an Ipod.

Diva, woohoo on Onederland!!!!!!!!!

Amarie2pt0
03-16-2008, 10:55 PM
W2D4 for me today. I'm sticking with week 2 for a while, I guess. Its getting better, but I feel like I barely catch my breath during the rest periods. So on I go. How's everyone else doing?

BernerDoc
03-17-2008, 12:44 PM
W2 D1 for me today. It wasn't as horrible as I thought. :D

I think the biggest difference was that I got new shoes yesterday...ahhhhh...my feet don't hurt! Whoohoo!

Diva
03-17-2008, 02:16 PM
W2D1 of the C25k on the TM + 10 more minutes
10 minutes Weight lifting-Chest & legs
5 minutes Stretching

I actually liked it. I thought I'd be dying, but it wasn't as bad as I thought. I just got a good stride going and lost myself in the music. :D

mayness
03-17-2008, 05:35 PM
:wave: I'm new to 3FC... I've been thinking about doing C25K for a while now, and now that I found these forums, it seems like a good time to start!

A quick introduction: I used to run a couple of years ago. I once ran 5 miles! I was registered for a half marathon! But I inevitably do too much too soon and hurt myself. :( My lungs and heart are ok with it, but my legs protest (loudly). I seem to think I should be able to do what I see other (thin, athletic) 23-year-olds doing, ignoring the fact that I am overweight and didn't exercise for the first 19 years of my life. But now that the snow is over and we're getting some beautiful sunny days, I'm getting the urge again.

So tonight is W1D1 for me! I'm heading out in about an hour. Which puts me only a little behind the March 1 starters. I'll definitely be checking in, and reading about your progress for inspiration!

Amarie2pt0
03-17-2008, 06:37 PM
Hi Mayness - :welcome:

Please don't sweat the starting later thing - most of us are at slightly different stages, and we're glad to have you here. Good luck tonight!

Diva and Berner - wtg on week 2! I really like the music this week, makes repeating less frustrating!

mothermavis
03-18-2008, 07:05 AM
I did Week 6 Day 1 yesterday. I was able to run outside, that is such a nice change when it's possible.

Heffalump
03-18-2008, 08:56 AM
Welcome, mayness!

Yesterday, I took my W3D1 to the track - inspired by the sunshine and your outdoor experiences, I guess ;) - it was still pretty chilly, but a great change from the treadmill. Afterwards I took a lovely 15 minute walk in the surrounding hills.

I had no problem getting through the program, although I'm sure I ran a lot more slowly. But that's fine with me - tomorrow I'll be back on the treadmill, then I'll see about speed...

Oh, and I loved the music on the podcast this week!

Diva
03-18-2008, 09:40 AM
Where is this podcast every keeps talking about?

mayness
03-18-2008, 11:36 AM
I did W1D1 last night! :running:

I resisted the urge to add "just one more" running segment, which is a huge success for me. I was a terrible judge of how far I would end up going, so I ended the run/walk very far from my house! It was cold (I was a little under-dressed), so I walked it REALLY fast, which was a nice addition to my workout.

Heffalump
03-18-2008, 12:08 PM
@Diva: In the ITunes store it's called "podcasts for running" - I think. You can subscribe to it for free. Here's the website (http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html), - you can download it from there too. This has really helped me a lot, and even though that kind of music is usually not my cup of tea it sure keeps me running! :)

@mayness: hey, congrats on starting and sticking to the program :D - I'm also one who is tempted to do too much, too soon!

Amarie2pt0
03-18-2008, 03:53 PM
Diva - the podcast has been crucial for me! I really love the assisted prompts, which allow me to just focus on breathing and form. I bought a shuffle at Walmart (they're below $50 now!!!) that I run with!

Mayness - kudos on not doing too much on your firt day! I can't seem to figure out how to dress "right" for my runs - I'm always either too cold or too hot! Ugh.

I've got a run scheduled for this evening... My morning runs have evaporated with the time change :( I really need to get back on the clock! I'll do Week 2 one more time (mostly 'cause I haven't loaded the Wk 3 podcast yet), but may move on next time.

Diva
03-18-2008, 07:52 PM
@Diva: In the ITunes store it's called "podcasts for running" - I think. You can subscribe to it for free. Here's the website (http://www.ullreys.com/robert/Podcasts/page4/page4.html), - you can download it from there too. This has really helped me a lot, and even though that kind of music is usually not my cup of tea it sure keeps me running! :)

@mayness: hey, congrats on starting and sticking to the program :D - I'm also one who is tempted to do too much, too soon!

Thank you very much! I'm gonna check it out! :hug:

broadabroad
03-19-2008, 01:19 AM
delurks

Hi there! Just found this thread, and I hope you don't mind me joining? This is my first week doing the C-2-5k (although I'm planning on repeating this week, I think, as a really gentle introduction) and so far I'm really pleasantly surprised by how not hellish it is!

I'm running indoors on the treadmill, because it's easier to measure time that way - and also because (1) I'm not remotely confident to be jogging my fat *** around outside right now, and (2) it is VERY BLOODY HOT INDEED right now, where I live.

However, I'm looking forward to being able to go jogging around Lumpini Park (10 min's walk from my flat) in the mornings, when it's cooler, within the next 3 months.

Diva
03-19-2008, 02:22 PM
W2D2 of c25k. It was a struggle today, but I'm glad I did it.

Heffalump
03-19-2008, 03:05 PM
W3D2 on the treadmill. The last 3-minute-run kicked my butt, but I made it through at 6mph for the last minute. :running:

Welcome, broadabroad - yours has got to be one of my favorite user names on 3FC! :)

BernerDoc
03-20-2008, 01:57 AM
W2 D2 today...not horrible. Doing a 20 minute "warmup" on the elliptical is definitely working well for me, much, much less lactic acid issues than when I tried to just do the 5 minute warmup thing. Still loving my new shoes, too :love::woops:

broadabroad
03-20-2008, 06:30 AM
Welcome, broadabroad - yours has got to be one of my favorite user names on 3FC!

Bless you! Good to be here! Now, the question is...will I manage to fit in my 3rd session for the week this evening, or will it end up being tomorrow? Hmm...

mothermavis
03-20-2008, 07:18 AM
Tonight is going to be day 2, week 6. 2 10 minutes runs with a 3 minute walk in between. I was really nervous about running 20 minutes in a row at the end of last week, but I did it, although, I'm pretty slow.

Diva
03-20-2008, 02:05 PM
WTG Mothermavis! That's awesome! I don't think speed maters at this point. I think it's about endurance. great job!!!

Today I did:
W2D3 c25k -30 min's on the TM
10 minute abs on the ball
20 minutes Arms, back, inner & outer legs w/Weights.

Total=60 minutes. :)

mayness
03-20-2008, 06:59 PM
Thank you all for the warm welcome. :hug:

broadabroad, Diva, Heffalump, BernerDoc, mothermavis, anyone I missed: great job on the workouts!

I just got done with W1D2 (I ran in here to post right after I got done stretching!).

Run #6 I was heading into a strong wind... that was rough... but other than that, it didn't feel too bad, and I got to splash through puddles like a little kid. :D

I was quite sore last time, so I did a longer warm-up and cool-down and spent more time stretching today, I hope that helps.

caitbeans
03-20-2008, 09:39 PM
I am back from vacation, and I started right back at week 2. I was pretty worried about it since I haven't exercised in a week, but it felt so great. I will count today as day1week2! woohoo!

It is amazing, I felt so crappy becuase I hadn't worked out while at the inlaws--today I feel SO much better!

mothermavis
03-21-2008, 07:01 AM
Welcome back Caitbeans!
Welcome Mayness and Broadabroad, (I agree, makes me smile just to type the name ;))

Sounds likes everyone is doing well!

Diva-glad your foot is better and you are getting it done!

Heffalump (love than name too) Makes me Dr Seuss it all the way! You are doing awesome!

Bernerdoc, what kind of shoes did you get? I always swear I'll try something new and always end up w Nike.

I did Day 2 week 6 last night!! Next up is 25 minutes of running with no stopping!:tread:

Andi18
03-21-2008, 09:10 AM
I did W2D3 last night... I am planning on repeating that today though and also plan on doing a spin class at noon.

Amarie2pt0
03-21-2008, 03:25 PM
Hi all - well, I've been sick (cough!) so I have been postponing my runs a bit... I hope to do W2D5 tomorrow, although my shuffle died and cannot be resurrected (kinda irritating since I've only had it 3 weeks) so I will have to do it without the podcast.

Congrats everyone on your progress! WTG!

Andi18
03-21-2008, 10:53 PM
I did W2D4 today! I also got in an hour spin class. I'm definitely in pain tonight so I can only imagine how I will be feeling tomorrow and Sunday. It always seems to feel worse 2 days later :stress: I'm excited that I was able to make it through this class, this is the first class I have taken at 24 Hour since I joined back in January. (obviously not counting the boot camps as those are not at the Y and are a lot different!)

Heffalump
03-22-2008, 09:42 AM
Finished W3D3 yesterday - hard in the beginning, but got better and better! Upped the tempo to 6.5mph for the last minute of running.

Way to go, everybody! :carrot:

BernerDoc
03-22-2008, 12:43 PM
W2D3 today. Whoohoo!! I must say, I am kicking my own *** ;) Lovin' the runners high...

Question for those who use FitDay, Daily Plate, etc - how do you log C25K? Thus far I've been calorie counting just using a notebook and looking stuff up but I thought I might try one of those sites.

Thanks!

mayness
03-22-2008, 05:03 PM
W1D3 done! :carrot: I'm excited to move on to week 2.

BernerDoc, I've used CalorieKing (back when it was free/cheap) and SparkPeople, and those sites have multiple entries for running and walking, based on speed. They'll calculate the calories burned based on your age/weight. I'm guessing the ones you mentioned are the same. If you don't know your speed, you'll need to measure or estimate that.

I just log the running and walking as two separate entries. Alternating them might actually burn more calories (by keeping your heart rate up for a while during the walking sections) but underestimating the calories you burn is generally better than overestimating :) (within reason). So for example, week 2 workouts have 6 running segments, 90 seconds each, so that's 9 minutes of running to log. And that means that with warm-up and cool-down, you'll do at least 21 minutes of walking.

zinkemomx2
03-22-2008, 09:21 PM
I just log the running and walking as two separate entries. Alternating them might actually burn more calories (by keeping your heart rate up for a while during the walking sections) but underestimating the calories you burn is generally better than overestimating :) (within reason). So for example, week 2 workouts have 6 running segments, 90 seconds each, so that's 9 minutes of running to log. And that means that with warm-up and cool-down, you'll do at least 21 minutes of walking.

I've done it with separate entries like mayness and also just the average speed. I do my intervals right now on the treadmill so it is easy to just divide the time by the distance to figure out the average speed. It has come out about the same (within 10 calories) both ways for me on Spark.

If you are outside you can use a site like mapmywalk (http://www.mapmywalk.com/create) or mapmyrun (http://www.mapmyrun.com/) to figure out how far you went and the time it took.

Andi18
03-23-2008, 01:11 PM
Did W3D1 today! It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, was still bad, but was able to push through it.

broadabroad
03-24-2008, 06:10 AM
Wow, you guys are thoroughly inspirational!

So I've completed week one, and now I'm starting to repeat week one - one session down, two more to go. I may even do it for a 3rd week - we'll see.

On Sunday, though, I managed to be a Total Klutz: while jogging, I knocked my (60g Video)iPod off the wee ledge on which it was sitting, and it landed on the track and went flying off behind me! And I sort of slammed the stop button reflexively, and then flung myself off the treadmill very dramatically, landing to one side of it. The lady doing weights behind me was UTTERLY bemused.

...and five minutes later, I did it again. (Although this time I just let the damn thing fall, and kept on running.)

D'oh!

So I concluded that although this iPod had been just fine for the treadmill when I was just walking briskly, I evidently needed to invest in a wee iPod shuffle for jogging purposes, and I've duly gone out and bought myself one.

Meanwhile, does anyone have good suggestions for how I can be toning up my horrifyingly flabby underarms and/or tightening my tummy? What other exercises do you good people do?

BernerDoc
03-24-2008, 09:32 AM
Did W3D1 today! It wasn't as horrible as I thought it would be, was still bad, but was able to push through it.

Yeah - what Andi said!! :-) I honestly didn't think I was ready to do W3, but I told myself there was no point in not trying...and I made it through! :-) I even kept up my 10 min/mile pace on the second running interval.

:woops::running::woops::running:

Thanks ladies, for this thread and being such an inspiration!

caitbeans
03-24-2008, 10:43 AM
I finished week2 today and will start week 3 on Wednesday!! I ate oatmeal right before running and had major cramps (you know when your lung feels like it is stuck in your rib cage??) soo, no more eating before running!

Dea
03-24-2008, 10:44 AM
woohoo....I finally started the C25K on Saturday!!!!
It kicked my butt...but it was worth it!
Now that the sidewalks are clear again, and the weather isn't dipping much below -2, I can get out and tackle this challenge.
I used to jog about 3km and walk 2km....but that was before Christmas, and this is the perfect program for me to get back into jogging shape!!

Amarie2pt0
03-24-2008, 03:59 PM
Hi all! OK, so I thought I'd come in for a dose of accountability. I didn't get my ipod replaced, and I've let myself get off track... I know that TONS of people have done this without the podcasts, but I've just totally copped out without 'em.

So, I will (hopefully) make today W2D5. I am NOT giving up!

Dea
03-24-2008, 06:12 PM
Hi all! OK, so I thought I'd come in for a dose of accountability. I didn't get my ipod replaced, and I've let myself get off track... I know that TONS of people have done this without the podcasts, but I've just totally copped out without 'em.

So, I will (hopefully) make today W2D5. I am NOT giving up!

quick question.....what is the 'podcast'?? And...how do I get it if I need it??

mayness
03-25-2008, 08:10 PM
W2D1 today!

I wore a different pair of socks than usual and I had to keep stopping during my walking breaks to adjust them :p so it was sort of a pain... but overall I was excited to be on to the second week.

I don't have much time to write so I'll just say a big "Way to go!" to everyone who has posted the last few days. :)

BernerDoc
03-26-2008, 10:46 AM
W3D2... wow. I'm not going to say it was easy...I think I just doubt myself but I CAN do it, and I DID do it (and of course, will continue to do it) :D

mayness
03-26-2008, 11:45 AM
quick question.....what is the 'podcast'?? And...how do I get it if I need it??

If you use an iPod while running, you might want to look into it. Podcasts can be found in iTunes... they're free (I think they're all free) downloadable content made by users. Someone decided to make a podcast that could be used during the C25K workouts... it tells you when to walk and run so you don't have to time it yourself. It includes music, too.. I only listened to a little bit of weeks 1 & 2, but it was all upbeat, dance-ish music.

I've always done it without the podcast... half of the time, I don't listen to music at all, just enjoy the sounds of the outdoors. :) And this particular podcast doesn't do you any good if you don't listen to it while running... but if you've never downloaded iTunes and checked out podcasts, I recommend it. You can learn a foreign language, catch up on current events or celebrity gossip, listen to new comedians, whatever you're into. (Even if you don't have an iPod, you can listen on your computer.)

Diva
03-26-2008, 01:37 PM
Wow, you're all just trucking along. I'm gonna have to cool it on running for a while until the hip gets better or i drop some more weight, which ever happens first. Maybe in the 170's or 180's the running won't be so hard on my joints.... I hope so. I'll look for you guys then. :) Keep up the good work!

Heffalump
03-26-2008, 02:15 PM
Whew, W4D2 already. OK, I think I'm pushing my limits now - the last five minute run was super hard, and I think I only got through it by making up "motivational" lyrics to that rather stupid music on the podcast: "I am strong, I can do it, not giving up, yadda yadda yadda, ow this hurts, one more minute..." :dizzy: :D

caitbeans
03-26-2008, 04:17 PM
W3D1 done, I did it!! It wasn't that bad!

Amarie2pt0
03-26-2008, 09:56 PM
Hi again! So yesterday was W2D5! And it felt great! Soooo much better than the earlier W2s. So, I'd like to ask y'all a question: should I stick with W2 one more time, or do you think I can move on to W3? I feel ready, but I'm wondering if its a good idea after having taken several days off. Thoughts?

TIA!

dubh
03-27-2008, 02:26 PM
Hello, I am new to this. Last night I started C25k, I started on W3D1. I have incorporated light jogging into part of my hit or miss exercise regime over the last few months. I found W3 fairly easy but W4 looked very hard so I don’t want to jump straight into that one. I am planning to do it again tonight!

newbebop
03-28-2008, 12:23 PM
ok so after being horrendously sick and stuffy A few days off turned into a week. every time I would try to run, I would cough, choke, and almost throw up. But I am back. not because I am feeling better, but because I just can't wait around anymore. ;-) Two days ago I started back in on a week one workout, and today I did the week 2 workout. I will do at least one more w2 workout before I move on.

I am still undecided on the podcasts. I like the idea, because sometimes my mind wanders and I lose track of when to run, but I also like my music. The just techno beats, is a little strange to me. do you get use to it? and has anyone had success with getting the mp3 version downloaded?

ok, run on ladies!

~betsy:carrot:

BernerDoc
03-28-2008, 09:14 PM
W3D3 today. Whoohoo!! The first 90/90 interval was a breeze. I was thinking...wait...wait...wait...I'm running (10 min/mi is close enough to running for me) and it's not making me feel like I'm dying. The first 3/3, also, not so bad. I had to push the last 20 seconds, but the rest wasn't bad. The remaining intervals were harder, but I didn't feel like I was going to DIE. If you'd asked me 3 weeks ago to run anywhere, for ANY length of time I would have laughed in your face. Three minutes may seem like such a small feat to some but to me it's huge. I can't wait to add more to it. :D On to W4 Monday!!

Amarie2pt0
03-28-2008, 11:09 PM
Way to go Berner! And everyone else too!

I jumped into W3 today, and it totally didn't suck! Just like you guys said. Actually, it kinda felt easy (?!?!), but then I remembered I'm several thousand feet closer to sealevel today, and maybe that's why? Anyway, glad I went for it. Can't wait to do it again Sunday.

Betsy - my thoughts on the podcasts: I like them for me. I normally run outside and don't wear a watch (um, I actually don't own a watch), so timing intervals is a challenge. But today I ran on the hotel treadmill, and I kinda tuned out the podcasts a little, and went more from the clock. I guess if I was a regular treadmill runner I might not bother. I actually enjoy the music and prompts outside though. Each week is a bit different, and yeah, week 1 was a bit techno for me, too. But frankly, I'm just so grateful that someone else put them together its all good. I do have an ipod, so I've never tried any other format.

Heffalump
03-28-2008, 11:12 PM
W4D3 today - I think I'll do at least one more W4 run. It was still very, very hard - although maybe it was just due to the overall pretty crappy day that I had? Right now, I can't really imagine starting week 5 on Monday...

EDIT: Oh, and on the topic of the podcast - I really don't like this type of music very much, but it does keep me going, and the prompts are just so convenient. It also makes me feel more like I'm on a "program", if that makes sense... I have to say, though: week 4 has the weirdest music yet - some really trippy, and then there's an accordion (?!) piece thrown in...

mayness
03-29-2008, 08:25 PM
After missing 3 days :( I finally got back out there! W2D2.

For maybe the first time, I think I wore the perfect amount of clothing, haha. Some parts were too warm, some were too cold, but on average I was comfortable. Tomorrow it will be 45 degrees F, I might have to go for a walk to take advantage of the "warm" weather.

mothermavis
03-30-2008, 01:07 AM
I have been sicker than a dog.
Hoping to get back on track tomorrow with week 7

broadabroad
03-30-2008, 09:22 AM
So I've done 2 full weeks of Week 1, and today I decided to have a go at Week 2. Concluded, though, that I'm really not loving Week 2 just yet - think I might even give myself another 2 weeks of Week 1, because what I DON'T want to do is get all defeated and give up - if it takes very gradual increments to improve my fitness, then I'd rather do it that way. (And, let's face it, I'm hella fat right now! It's like jogging with 100lb of weights strapped to my various limbs!)

I'm intrigued by this podcast business, and am trying to download Week 1 - thank you for clueing me into its existence!

AND I have decided to check out the various marathons/10k runs etc that are planned for Asia, and set my sights on one in maybe a year's time as a tangible goal to work towards. (Might even have a go at the Phuket race in the summer, since there's a 5k walk section - that might be more realistic for the short term, with a view to doing something more challenging later?)

....er, does this sound insanely optimistic? Given that I am to running what the Pope is to heavyweight boxing?

caitbeans
03-30-2008, 09:24 AM
broadabraod- that is a great idea, I am thinking of signing up for a 5K in October, it will be the week before my wedding.

Amarie2pt0
03-30-2008, 09:26 PM
W3D2 just done! Again, I'm lovin this sea-level high! Hahaha. I decided to really push myself today, since its been easier at this altitude, so I actually did one of my runs at 10 mph - I'm normally a turtle...

Fay - WTG! I'm a repeater myself, so I think its great you are giving yourself time to adjust. I would say, though, that my W2D1 was HORRIBLE, but W2 got majorly better each time. Good luck.

Woot Mayness! Way to get back in there!

So I am in love with high-end treadmills, like the one in this hotel. Holy cow they run smooth! Just think, in 2 days its back to the concrete for me!

Good work all!

BernerDoc
03-30-2008, 09:27 PM
W4D1 today. Oh. My. Gosh. I wasn't sure I would make it through the last 5 minute running interval...but I didn't let myself quit - and I did it!!! Yay!! I have a feeling W4 will be more than just the three sessions for me...we'll see how the rest of the week goes!

Biancaneve
03-30-2008, 09:32 PM
Hi guys,
I started today, JUST in time to post in the March thread lol...

I found w1d1 embarrassingly hard, and had to walk for part of the last running interval, but I'm proud that I actually got my butt out the door and did it, especially since my exercise buddy flaked out at the last moment which is usually my cue to go back to bed. :) I plan to try day 2 on Wednesday.

At this point even week 2 and 3 look veeeery daunting, but I just read through this whole thread and it's so good to know people are doing it!! Congratulations on making it through a whole month!!

broadabroad
03-31-2008, 12:36 AM
I would say, though, that my W2D1 was HORRIBLE, but W2 got majorly better each time. Good luck.

Ooh, well that's good to know! Thank you for mentioning it! I managed most of it, but eventually I thought "...no, really, this is not fun" and cut back to just walking briskly. Hmm. Perhaps I'll have another crack at it, though...we'll see.

Out of interest - what speeds are people walking/jogging at? I started out thinking that 8k was a reasonable jogging speed, and then decided that 8.5 was probably better. Only then it struck me that for my final week to REALLY be 5k, I'd have to be jogging for 30 mins at a speed of 10k, so I've been trying to jog at at least 9k.

Which was maybe a bit of a shock to the system, you know? ;)

Meanwhile I'm walking at 5.5k.

Bianca - bloody well done you, getting your *** out the door! Honestly, I think that's more than half the battle - I always pretty much think that just by virtue of having GONE to the gym, I get ten brownie points, regardless of how great or crap I may be at using the equipment!

mayness
03-31-2008, 07:18 PM
W2D3!

It was sort of fun... it was harder than last time, physically, and my legs feel TIRED now. But it was 55 degrees F outside, which was gorgeous! Since it was so warm, people thought it would be a great idea to let their dogs out in their front yards, with or without tying them up. :eek: :mad: At least this time I didn't have to hide behind a bush, or ring a stranger's doorbell, prepared to beg them to save me.* I'm not sure what's wrong with people around here. Most of them have fenced-in back yards!!!

I'm mentally ready for week 3. And I think my legs are ready, too.

*Yes, both of those happened to me last year. The strangers weren't home, but their neighbor came outside, whistled to get the dogs attention, and jumped in his van. That dog looked angry.

Amarie2pt0
03-31-2008, 07:39 PM
Fay -

You know, I had the same thought about the speed thing, that at the pace I go my 5K wont be a 5K... But instead of running faster (I tried, it hurt, I went back to turtle pace) I figured that after I completed the last week I could do the whole thing over, but instead of walk/run intervals do slow run/faster run intervals to get my speed up. The fact that we are learning to run is awesome! We can be gentle with ourselves, and be ok with being pokey runners for a while, IMHO.

Good luck!

So Bianca mentioned an April thread - what are your thoughts gals? Should we move into a new thread or just keep plugging in this one? I am ok either way.

Andi18
03-31-2008, 09:20 PM
Hey gals, it's been awhile since I've posted in here, but I am still keeping up with C25K! I have completed W3D3! I plan to do this interval probably for another week, for sure 2 more times at least. My 5k is May 17th, I hope and pray that I am ready by then! My friend that will be running with me has done quite a few 5k's already and she usually jogs it at 5mph pace. I'm down with that! I usually do the walking intervals at 3.7 mph and the jogging intervals at 4.8-5.2 mph.

As far as moving to an April board, I'm up for whatever.

Heffalump
04-01-2008, 09:19 AM
Hey gals,

re: new thread - that might encourage more people to join in? I'm all for it!

I also decided to stick with week 4 for a while - did W4D4 yesterday and will do at least one more. It was a bit easier than last Friday, but maybe mostly because my last run was fueled by anger at the guy who managed to unplug my treadmill just when I started accelerating and nearly sent me flying over the rails :dizzy:

BernerDoc
04-01-2008, 01:11 PM
Hey gals,

re: new thread - that might encourage more people to join in? I'm all for it!

I also decided to stick with week 4 for a while - did W4D4 yesterday and will do at least one more. It was a bit easier than last Friday, but maybe mostly because my last run was fueled by anger at the guy who managed to unplug my treadmill just when I started accelerating and nearly sent me flying over the rails :dizzy:

I started a new "starters/in-processors" thread...hope that's OK!

OMG, I would be so mad at that guy, too - not to mention that I probably WOULD have gone flying. I'm just *that* graceful.

W4 is kicking my butt thus far!